Miss Indiana's "normal" body.

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. She looks extremely thin.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. She looks extremely thin.

She is very thin.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Link: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-miss-indiana-mekayla-diehl-weight-20140610-story.html

In a nutshell, Mekayla Diehl didn't win, but she's getting a lot of attention because she's not exactly your typical super-thin Miss USA contestant.

article-2654397-1E9D90B700000578-161_306x694.jpg

Well, I think that's great that they had a girl up there that isn't a "bag of bones" and I think she looks great, but the thing that got me was the article's claim that Mekayla has a BMI of 18, making her far from "normal" or "average." As the article says, she's 5'8", meaning that she'd have to be about 119 lbs to have a BMI of 18. They say she wears a size 4, which I believe because my body doesn't look all that different from hers and I wear a size 4 (sometimes), but she's definitely not 119 lbs.

Thoughts?

Hmmmm...think I can *kitten* to this.

Is this even a question? She's hot. The end.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    In...

...for that special kind of body-shaming that MFP does so well.

giphy.gif

Off topic - but when that cat goes ninja on them, there will be no survivors.

If I know Jof, his reaction will be similar, which is why I take comfort in knowing that I was all-state on my high school's hide and seek team.

h30B7BD77

4283538+_3fa6f0f971336558f658023900f8926a.jpg

you-can.jpg
    [img]http://temp_thoughts_resize.s3.amazonaws.com/ce/0b37310bf1decccb005514347b5b70/1295259460_cat-hides-in-box.gif[/img]

078.jpg

day-11-the-dog-still-thinks-im-fur.jpg
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    When I said "bag if bones," I was referencing the article that none of you read, clearly. That's why it was in quotes. Get over it.

I also think most of you missed the point of my post. I wasn't saying anything negative about her or the other girls. It was about the claim that she has a BMI of 18, which she clearly does not. It seems odd that they'd basically call her underweight while trying to push positive body image - might as well tell girls that they aren't attractive until they have a BMI below 18.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    This is what normal looks like for my home state? *puts ice cream bowl down and grabs gym bag*

10/10 WB
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

If I know Jof, his reaction will be similar, which is why I take comfort in knowing that I was all-state on my high school's hide and seek team.

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg
    [img]http://temp_thoughts_resize.s3.amazonaws.com/ce/0b37310bf1decccb005514347b5b70/1295259460_cat-hides-in-box.gif[/img]

078.jpg

hidden-picture-108.gif
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yup, as suspected, they all look "normal" to me.

Miss_America_McMi4_t607.JPG

I wouldn't describe any of those women as "a bag of bones"
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg

078.jpg

hidden-picture-108.gif

LOL I saw it. you win.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg

078.jpg

hidden-picture-108.gif

LOL I saw it. you win.

At first it said no swiping, and showed a thief picture. Now I can see it. This confirms my suspicions...Jof is magic.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yes she is gorgeous. No she isn't 5'8" and 118 lb. No she isn't normal. That chick has way more muscle than the average American I say. I'm guessing she's very into fitness.
  • CorydonCutie22
    Options
    I'll take that body over mine any day. Proud that she represented my state.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It seems that far too often on here that women are either criticized as too skinny or too fat. I don't get it. She's lovely. Why can't that be all that's said?

[insert shrug]:noway:
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    They are all gorgeous of course and it's pretty rude to call anyone a bag of bones, even if they are very thin, that's their business and it doesn't mean they are not beautiful. Wouldn't if be much more fun/interesting if there were a greater greater diversity in pageants? Where my short girls at? Where my chubby girls at? Where my Asian girls at? Where my girls w/ wheels? Ya know? Just my humble 2 cents. I haven't watched them since I was a kid because I feel they do not seem to be very inclusive, and monotony is just plain boring to me. :)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    She is stunning
    She is not 118 lbs and that's ok
    She looks really wonderful but they all do

I don't a single
    "Bag of bones"
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    forget the body she has a few curves but she looks good...but she has the most stunning face.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options
    all agree that this is just another ridiculous example of the exploitation of the female form?

Oops. Reality check.

I don't know if they'll all agree, but I do.

But alas. Here's some science. What a wet blanket.

"When it comes to sexuality and mating, evolutionary psychologists say, men and women often are as different psychologically as they are physically. Scientists have long known that people typically choose mates who closely resemble themselves in terms of weight, height, intelligence and even earlobe length. But a survey of more than 10,000 people in 37 cultures on six continents, conducted by University of Michigan psychologist David Buss, reveals that men consistently value physical attractiveness and youth in a mate more than women do; women. equally as consistently are more concerned than men with a prospective mate’s ambition, status and resources. If such preferences were merely arbitrary products of culture, says Buss, one might expect to find at least one society somewhere where men’s and women’s mating preferences were reversed; the fact that attitudes are uniform across cultures suggests they are a fundamental part of human psychology."

The above is from an article entitled Your Cave or Mine? By William F. Allman (San Francisco Chronicle THIS WORLD section, July 25, 1993, p. 8-10)

Sit back and listen to this crazy, radical plan of mine.

How about we start honoring women for something besides looking attractive to men?

What if we started holding pageants that rewarded real achievement? What's her talent? She's a chemist, and one of the best in the country. So no, she never really took the time to learn baton twirling.

What if there was no bikini competition? Because you had a group of smart women with self-respect who wanted no part of being judged solely for their looks, and paraded out like sides of beef.

What if we treated women...like people?

(and you thought you were the wet blanket)

While I get what you're saying, and agree to a degree, chemists (and those in other scholarly pursuits), both male and female are awarded for achievement. (Nobel Prize, Fields Medal, etc.) And there is a certain subset that presumably enjoys twirling batons, and looking "pageanty" who would like to be recognized for it.

I think it's more important to let all people, men, women, male, female, whoever, be who they are, and if they do what they do well, whatever it may be, give em a pat on the back, or a tiara, as it were.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg

078.jpg

hidden-picture-108.gif

LOL I saw it. you win.

funny+victory++(3).jpg

35l87u.jpg
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Link: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-miss-indiana-mekayla-diehl-weight-20140610-story.html

In a nutshell, Mekayla Diehl didn't win, but she's getting a lot of attention because she's not exactly your typical super-thin Miss USA contestant.

article-2654397-1E9D90B700000578-161_306x694.jpg

Well, I think that's great that they had a girl up there that isn't a "bag of bones" and I think she looks great, but the thing that got me was the article's claim that Mekayla has a BMI of 18, making her far from "normal" or "average." As the article says, she's 5'8", meaning that she'd have to be about 119 lbs to have a BMI of 18. They say she wears a size 4, which I believe because my body doesn't look all that different from hers and I wear a size 4 (sometimes), but she's definitely not 119 lbs.

Thoughts?
    It's nice to see that the Miss USA competition relaxed their standards so much that someone as bulky as she is can enter.