Looks do matter

Options

Replies

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The reason "looks matter" to me is that they're a reflection of the degree you respect and care about yourself. If you don't care enough about yourself to be clean, neat, well-groomed, and smell good then why would I want to know you? It's not so much natural physical attractiveness as what you do with it, IMO. =)
  • rocklion
    rocklion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    And looks matter enough that I sent a FR to a hottie in this thread. :drinker:

Did they accept?
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Looks do matter, but you also have to consider that different people are attracted to different things.

Lots of women do like "ripped" men, but some don't. Personally, I tend to prefer a guy with a little bit of fluff. But personality really is much more important to me than looks, and I think I could be physically attracted to almost anyone with an awesome personality, provided they exercise good hygiene.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this. I totally have a crush on Seth Rogen.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Good looks will get you noticed at first. But a crap personality or just being plain boring will almost positively ensure they won't stick around for too long.

You know the type of people I like? They're the ones that look average, you may not even notice them at first. But then you talk to them, and everything that comes out of their mouth is interesting, and it changes their whole face and appearance, and you realize you've just met the most fascinating person in the whole room.

Sure, looks matter to a certain extent. But it's not the most important thing.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    They matter, but they're not the only thing that matters.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I only bang 10/10 hotties.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

I've seen your husband.

I agree
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

[how you doin.gif]
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    And looks matter enough that I sent a FR to a hottie in this thread. :drinker:

Did they accept?

Yes he did! And I don't think he thinks of himself as a hottie so BONUS! :drinker:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

[how you doin.gif]

100/10 will so bang
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I've seen your husband.

I agree

Oh, I don't bang him.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

I've seen your husband.

I agree

Oh, I don't bang him.

Poor guy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    of course looks matter

someones appearance is what initially attracts me to them

if im not physically attracted to them I am not going to be sexually attracted to them & they could only ever be someone I would be friends with

also what I find attractive is not necessarily what the majority considers attractive . Attraction is pretty subjective

:drinker:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Man lands on the moon.

- "good looks" are simply a visual cue for health and beneficial genetic material
    - social animals instinctively treat healthier, sturdier individuals better because they benefit the group more
    - humans are social animals

=> To a certain degree, humans will treat better looking individuals better (in the sexual area among others).
    It's a fact, but it's not healthy to dwell too much on it. Do the best you can with what you've got.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've taken my share of Social Psyc and Evolutionary Psyc classes, the general take home message is defs that people are initially attracted to physical appearance and men are MUCH more choosy about looks of their partner than women, but men tend to place most importance on facial features than on bodies (which are subject to a hulk of a lot of change when child rearing is concerned). Physical attraction is not enough to sustain a loving and emotionally satisfying relationship. Common interests, doing activities and favourite hobbies together, and never ending the chase for each others' ultimate happiness makes for life partnerships that last.

I think people are pretty aware of the proverbial '10 scale' of attractiveness and are actually very reasonable when it comes to selecting mates that match their perceived rating. It can lead to a lot of turmoil in a relationship when partners are closer to opposite ends of the spectrum, what with the trust issues, body dissatisfaction, lack of confidence, or self-consciousness that can ensue when one partner receives praise (getting hit on, compliments from friends/fam, getting checked out) and the other does not and feels unworthy. It is actually a theory for why many men/women end up in abusive relationships, because there is a dissonance in desirability of partners (it can be due to differences in career status or education as well interestingly enough). Of course some people are impervious to this due to their ridiculously strong love for one another but that is pretty uncommon.

tl:dr -> appearances matter, only for so long, be interesting, be reasonable with yourself and focus on the intangible aspects of relationships and attraction.
  • macattack5946
    macattack5946 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, my two cents, do looks matter? I think it's more chemistry, I've been married 36 years and I have to say that, and this goes for both of us, neither of us is much to look at, but there was just that something. Hard to explain, and it's still here, we still laugh and cry about the same things, so i truly think it is so much more than looks. I believe there is someone out there for everyone. And in some ways the internet makes it easier and someways it makes it harder. I just say keep looking and be positive about it, that way you will shine!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    of course looks matter

someones appearance is what initially attracts me to them

if im not physically attracted to them I am not going to be sexually attracted to them & they could only ever be someone I would be friends with

also what I find attractive is not necessarily what the majority considers attractive . Attraction is pretty subjective

Amen