Cut the negativity and welcome change

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Great thought for the day. Very apt personally too. Thank you!
  • jjack65
    jjack65 Posts: 3
    Thanks, I reviewed the link about the 2 dogs and walked out my office smiling !
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    I m a believer in karma and also in making your own life peaceful and positive. I hope you find that positive energy because focusing on the negative parts of MFP and calling people out on it is not helping the cause.

This. I mean, I get what you are trying to get across...

But for every negative post/profile, there's 10 others that are positive. Somehow it's just easier for a lot to focus on the negative.
    QFT^

nwItDpE.jpg

jZpBprN.jpg
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar...

...And doesn't.

Heisenberg and Schrödinger get pulled over for speeding.
    The cop asks Heisenberg "Do you know how fast you were going?"
    Heisenberg replies, "No, but we know exactly where we are!"
    The officer looks at him confused and says "you were going 108 miles per hour!"
    Heisenberg throws his arms up and cries, "Great! Now we're lost!"
    The officer looks over the car and asks Schrödinger if the two men have anything in the trunk.
    "A cat," Schrödinger replies.
    The cop opens the trunk and yells "Hey! This cat is dead."
    Schrödinger angrily replies, "Well he is now."
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    :huh: Not sure what to make of this...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

...And doesn't.

The officer looks over the car and asks Schrödinger if the two men have anything in the trunk.

I'm uncertain if this a joke.

Now my brain hurts.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    I don't predict this ending well. I think you had good intentions, OP, but "negativity" is more of a reflection on the reader most times than it is on the person that actually wrote it.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Your mind will set you free
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member

...And doesn't.

Heard it before but still love it!
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    A lot of people are overweight because of chronic depression, stress, anxiety, and a host of other issues, in fact, most overweight people are overweight because they are unhappy or suffer from issues.
    You can't will away those issues.

No, you can't will those away but you can find better coping strategies to alleviate both the symptoms and effects. For example, many folks are Vitamin D deficient which manifests itself as depression amongst other symptoms. Simply supplementing with Vitamin D significantly reduces the depression caused by the deficiency.

Well, bless your little heart for recommending Vitamin D to fix depression. Now what about people who have clinical depression, bipolar disorder, panic/anxiety disorders that are so bad they're classified as medical problems and other non-situational mental illness?

There isn't a vitamin out there to cure what I've got but I do agree that taking Vitamin D is a good strategy for most people.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    A lot of people are overweight because of chronic depression, stress, anxiety, and a host of other issues, in fact, most overweight people are overweight because they are unhappy or suffer from issues.
    You can't will away those issues.

No, you can't will those away but you can find better coping strategies to alleviate both the symptoms and effects. For example, many folks are Vitamin D deficient which manifests itself as depression amongst other symptoms. Simply supplementing with Vitamin D significantly reduces the depression caused by the deficiency.

Well, bless your little heart for recommending Vitamin D to fix depression. Now what about people who have clinical depression, bipolar disorder, panic/anxiety disorders that are so bad they're classified as medical problems and other non-situational mental illness?

There isn't a vitamin out there to cure what I've got but I do agree that taking Vitamin D is a good strategy for most people.

This!!!

I've always suffered from depression. I take a vit d+calcium supplement, a vit b complex...still deal with depression. I exercise and lift heavy things...still deal with depression. Sometimes it's just brain chemistry and no vitamins or amount of sun can cure that.
  • nancy10272004
    My post said more than that, but I do agree with you that it is pithy advice. Beating depression and issues in general take a fair amount of discipline and stamina, which a lot of people aren't willing to take. Losing weight is about a lot more than just being more positive, but it's a start.

I'm so sorry I missed this post before I replied to the Vitamin D one.

I'm trying to keep it together about your dismissive attitude about beating depression. If you knew what it was like to have a chronic, debilitating mental illness I doubt you'd accuse someone who does of not having discipline and stamina. I have plenty of it. That's why I go to a p-doc every other week, a GP once a month, a therapist twice a month and take a handful of medication every day.

Depression that you can just make go away with a positive attitude doesn't even come close to what I live with on a daily basis.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    No. My negativity is fuel for the furnace that is my rage and that furnace helps me push harder and achieve more.

You, dear, win the internet today! Bless you! One million percent agree! How we choose to use the negativity (internal/external and real/perceived) is what counts. I just say "F U" to the negative energy--I'll eat every excuse and defeatist thought I have for breakfast and lift it, blast it, and burn it up all day.

I've been called "hardcore" for this mentality. But guess what? It beats my defeated, sloth-like, weepy, depressed former self.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    :huh: Not sure what to make of this...

Yeah. Negative to one is not negative to all, same as "bullies" to some are "helpful" to others.

Threads that make blanket statements about MFP members as a group are generally not received well.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,007 Member
    There is a story they tell of two dogs. Both dogs, at separate times, walk into the same room. One dog comes out wagging his tail while the other comes out growling.

A woman watching this goes into the room to see what could possibly ma...ke one dog so happy and the other dog so mad. To her surprise she finds a room full of mirrors. The happy dog found a thousand happy dogs looking back at him. The angry dog saw only angry growling dogs looking back at him. Meaning: What you see in the world around you is a reflection of who you are.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I'm in to learn more about how to cure my depression through willpower and supplements.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

Awesome. :drinker:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I'm in to learn more about how to cure my depression through willpower and supplements.

Can be done. First step is to realize that depression is NOT you. It is a chemical reaction in the body that makes you feel depressed or anxious. Exercise and finding the right healthy diet makes a huge difference in getting balanced.

Good luck.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    People perceive positive and negative differently. If I tell you something that goes against your belief system, you think I'm being negative while someone standing next to you is more in line with my thinking and will think what I said is awesome. So, I don't know how to make everyone happy. It's not worth my time to think about it. I just exist and I do my thing. It's not my job to be positive for you so that you can be happy. That's not really how it works.

I agree with what you said, so you made me happy, if that counts for anything.
  • diannethegeek

Can be done. First step is to realize that depression is NOT you. It is a chemical reaction in the body that makes you feel depressed or anxious. Exercise and finding the right healthy diet makes a huge difference in getting balanced.

Good luck.

Must have forgotten my sarcasm font again.

/sarcasm
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member

Good luck.

/sarcasm

Nope. The sarcasm font was clear as day.
  • diannethegeek

Good luck.

/sarcasm

Nope. The sarcasm font was clear as day.

I suppose that my therapist will be happy to learn that all I've ever needed was a better diet and more exercise. Do you think she'll miss me now that I've seen the light?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    People perceive positive and negative differently. If I tell you something that goes against your belief system, you think I'm being negative while someone standing next to you is more in line with my thinking and will think what I said is awesome. So, I don't know how to make everyone happy. It's not worth my time to think about it. I just exist and I do my thing. It's not my job to be positive for you so that you can be happy. That's not really how it works.

Am I the only one that thought OP's post was about people making excuses for not losing weight and just need to suck it up and get 'er done?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    are you aware that you're doing it?
  • nancy10272004

Good luck.

I can't with this post. I just can't.

I think there is a disconnect here. Some people have chronic medical diseases and some people have behavioral health issues (as the insurance industry puts it). Diet and exercise won't cure the former. The symptoms can be managed but it takes a lot of willpower and stamina.
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member
    I haven't noticed any negative posts. Most are helpful, the rest are funny.

You know the story about the two dogs that walk into the room full of mirrors?

And then there are these people.
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member

Am I the only one that thought OP's post was about people making excuses for not losing weight and just need to suck it up and get 'er done?

No.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I've been off and on mpf for a few years now. Unfortunately, I've noticed a lot of negative posts. Worst yet, there are some who have entire profiles of complaining.

I'm sorry if this post offends you at all; that is not the intention. Some people aren't aware that they're doing it.

Whatever you put out into the universe you get back. This has shown time and time again in my weight loss journey. Whenever I've been happier, positive, and trying to forge ahead it's been EFFORTLESS TO LOSE WEIGHT. On the flip side, when I was staring in the mirror thinking how awful I looked, feeling my fat, and moping around the house I GAINED A LOT. In fact, that's how I came to be my heaviest weight.

It may seem difficult to get into a positive mindset. Coming from a background of depression I can totally understand. However, it is necessary for any real changes to occur in life.

I hope this helps. Most of all, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Other people can believe in you all they want, but until you believe in yourself and your ability to change your life nothing will happen.

If you actually read the entire post, it's not a mean people rant...cut the poor girl some slack.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member

haha If only!
  • Ronunderwood
    Ronunderwood Posts: 25 Member
    How could your comment possibly offend anybody?