OPINION ON ATKINS

Options

Replies

• azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Atkins was never intended to be used long term. It was designed for heart patients to drop weight quickly for surgery. You can get the same (and healthier) results simply by counting and cutting calories while exercising. Its a tried and true method that has been around for ages. Carbs are not the enemy. Well placed, nutritious carbs are your friend.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    He died of an heart attack when he was quite young. - not a good advert

Admittedly I'm told it was other health issues than his diet but yeah not good publicity.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Insulin Resistance diet for my well...Insulin Resistance. It is also a lower carb diet (15 protein for ever 30 carb) and what it essentially taught me was how to properly portion control. I've maintained it for over a year now.

Because I'm on a lower carb diet too, Akins comes up a lot in my research, grocery list, and conversations. I agree with everyone in this forum that it's a fad diet, you shouldn't cut out carbs unless you're medically suppose to, and it's not sustainable. Plus, atkins food stuff is CRAZY expensive.

My advice? Eat clean (nothing processed) and move. Limit those carbs but do not cut them out completely!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I would say just follow the guidelines set forth here on MFP.
    Tweek them to fit you of course.
    Eat at a deficit and move more.....lots of success stories on here.
    It's really that simple....
    1zxxgs6.jpg
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I did a Atkins light verison for a little over 1 year under the supervision of my doctor. At the time I had type II diabetes and it helped in getting my blood sugars under control. Once I was no longer diabetic I stopped it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for the low carb haters. They always come in here and de-rail an otherwise good discussion with their ridicule and childish mockings.

With that said, I do keto, which is similar to Atkins, but unlike Atkins, you don't add carbs back in post-induction. So everyday I try to keep my net carbs under 30, 20 if I can help it. It helped me budge a stubborn 30 lbs. Plus I LOVE being able to eat full-fat EVERYTHING and this eating plan has encouraged me to experiment in the kitchen, so that's a definite plus!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Actually he died of a head injury. It helps to research, rather than spout misinformation to try to scare people out of an eating plan you don't understand.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for the low carb haters. They always come in here and de-rail an otherwise good discussion with their ridicule and childish mockings.

Lol lady...lol
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this is a troll post just to get bickering started, but I have to say some of the replies in this thread are a bit disconcerting. People seem to genuinely believe that a "sustainable diet" leads to long-term success and that you can't cut weight in a different way than you maintain weight, but that's simply nonsense. If you find it helpful to eat the same foods on a cut as you do on a bulk, more power to you, but that's not good advise for everyone and I really don't see why doing this gives some people such a false sense of security about their long-term success. At the end of the day, how you cut weight has nothing to do with how you will maintain your weight loss, and plenty of people choose to cut weight with different macros and even food restrictions, relative to when they're eating at maintenance or bulking. Finally, the notion that "Atkins didn't teach me what I needed for maintenance" is a complete cop-out. If you didn't have the knowledge to avoid regaining weight (which if you're honest with yourself, you probably did), that's still on you for failing to educate yourself about what causes weight gain. If you revert to your old habits after ANY weight loss, Atkins or otherwise, you shouldn't be surprised when you regain the weight, and blaming that on Atkins rather than yourself is just failing to accept responsibility for your own actions (or inaction).

But, all that said, the Atkins diet definitely isn't for everyone.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that giving dissenting opinions backed by personal experience was derailing a topic asking for opinions but okay.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this is a troll post just to get bickering started, but I have to say some of the replies in this thread are a bit disconcerting. People seem to genuinely believe that a "sustainable diet" leads to long-term success and that you can't cut weight in a different way than you maintain weight, but that's simply nonsense. If you find it helpful to eat the same foods on a cut as you do on a bulk, more power to you, but that's not good advise for everyone and I really don't see why doing this gives some people such a false sense of security about their long-term success. At the end of the day, how you cut weight has nothing to do with how you will maintain your weight loss, and plenty of people choose to cut weight with different macros and even food restrictions, relative to when they're eating at maintenance or bulking. Finally, the notion that "Atkins didn't teach me what I needed for maintenance" is a complete cop-out. If you didn't have the knowledge to avoid regaining weight (which if you're honest with yourself, you probably did), that's still on you for failing to educate yourself about what causes weight gain. If you revert to your old habits after ANY weight loss, Atkins or otherwise, you shouldn't be surprised when you regain the weight, and blaming that on Atkins rather than yourself is just failing to accept responsibility for your own actions (or inaction).

But, all that said, the Atkins diet definitely isn't for everyone.

If i chose to educate myself with the atkins diet I would have learned to key is to not go over your magic carb threshold and you will be fine. With Atkins mine was like 70 when I did the diet. Turns out if I control my total caloric intake (a topic hardly discussed in his book) I can eat 200-300 grams of carbs daily and be just fine.

And let me ask you..Is it the lack of carbs specifically that causes the fat loss (outside of glycogen depletion and water loss that is a direct result of low carb) or is it the food restriction, appetite suppression that causes one to eat less calories and drop weight? And how is it explained in atkins?

Thats my problems with it. Its not the diet I have a problem with, but the WHY is not accurate in general
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Actually he died of a head injury. It helps to research, rather than spout misinformation to try to scare people out of an eating plan you don't understand.

Yep. And he wasn't 'quite young' either. My how the myths spread like wildfire. Google is your friend.
  • parkscs
    Options
    Potentially both in the case of someone who is insulin resistant, as many obese people are, but always the latter. Nothing says Atkins book is ALL you can read when following his diet though, and it never claims to be a treatise on nutrition or general fitness. It's simply a structured system for weight loss. I do agree though that people need to educate themselves beyond simply reading his book though. But if upon learning the basics about nutrition and weight loss someone chooses the Atkins diet, I personally don't see a problem nor do I believe they're any less likely to succeed in the long run.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Working for me
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Gym and food can get expensive!! : P

You don't need to go to the gym to work out. I have lost 30 pounds without ever stepping foot in a gym. I work out at home with DVDs, or I take walks or go jogging. Recently I started adding free weights at home to my routine.

As for food, well, you have to eat food even on Atkins. And it can be more expensive on Atkins, with meat costing what it does these days. Just eat less of what you're used to eating, and you'll spend less money on food. Boom, done.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

No he didn't. He died from kidney failure that damaged his heart.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember before Atkins got really cool there was an infomercial for it? I remember seeing that as a pudgy kid and thinking wow, this looks great! You get to eat bacon, steak, fried eggs, cheese. I kept looking for actual desserts (aside from the berries and cream that were pictured) and when I didn't see any cheesecake I was, like, "This is not for me." From that point on I stuck to watching Richard Simmons infomercials. Much more entertaining.
  • parkscs
    Options

Funny because protein intake on the Atkins diet is as low and most likely lower than many of the protein recommendations given for weight lifters on these forums - and yet this sort of fearmongering only tends to pop-up in Atkins threads.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Does anyone remember before Atkins got really cool there was an infomercial for it? I remember seeing that as a pudgy kid and thinking wow, this looks great! You get to eat bacon, steak, fried eggs, cheese. I kept looking for actual desserts (aside from the berries and cream that were pictured) and when I didn't see any cheesecake I was, like, "This is not for me." From that point on I stuck to watching Richard Simmons infomercials. Much more entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIscLaYnECs&feature=kp