How many miles a day should I walk to make a difference?

Options

Replies

• AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    i have asthma, and just placed second in my division in a triathlon this weekend. talk to your doctor and learn to manage your condition.

walk as many miles as you can.

Well I know some asthmatics CAN run. But my doctor said I'm not ALLOWED to run. Not for another, like, 6 months, until I'm used to the breathing and everything. Something along those lines.

yeah, my doctor told me the same thing. i told him that the only way i would get used to breathing while running would be to go running.
    That is a good point. But if I get overstimulated or out of breath from running I tend to pass out. That's when he told me to wait it out.

actually, i'm wrong. i wasn't running back then. i was cycling. found it easier to get cardio in while also not overly exerting my lungs. running came afterwards.
    Ohh, okay, that makes sense. I'll try that. Thanks!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm fully supportive of your choice of diet, however this is funny right here.

BIlcXrECcAA0jFS.jpg

btw, french fries and ketchup are totally vegan.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    about 1/2 of what you run... so if yo walk a mile... run two (or jog) ...an dYES there is a difference between a runner and a jogger... by about 3-4 MPH :laugh:

LOL sadly most of the joggers I see are only going like 4.5MPH so that's only like 1MPH faster than walking.

Why is that sad? They are out there getting it done! I applaud them :drinker:
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1200 calories.
    I'm vegan. Not much out there that I can afford. Hard to avoid dairy and meat. It's everywhere I go. I try though.

Cans of chickpeas. $7 for 8 cans. Each can contains 420 calories. That's under $2.50/day for 1200 calories/day and they're high in protein, an area vegans have trouble with. You can buy rice for cheap, too, and augment with whatever fruits/vegetables happen to be on sale the day you visit.
    Allergic to chickpeas. And I do eat rice quite a bit, but it really heats up my house to cook, so I can't make it often.
    I do eat LOTS of fruit and vegetables, though. Just doesn't add up to the above 1200 calorie mark for some reason.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Download the app Endomondo on your phone. It keeps track of your miles and how many MPH you are going. Wouldn't really rely on it for calories because its just an estimate for your weight but I love it.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

BIlcXrECcAA0jFS.jpg

Haha, that is funny.
    Yeah, but I don't eat fast food, anddd my mom wont let me use the oven in the summer. Haha.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

BIlcXrECcAA0jFS.jpg

Haha, that is funny.
    Yeah, but I don't eat fast food, anddd my mom wont let me use the oven in the summer. Haha.

you can make your own french fries... on a frying pan... on the stove... your mom won't let you use the stove in the summer?? how old are you??????
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. Not much out there that I can afford. Hard to avoid dairy and meat. It's everywhere I go. I try though.

Excuses! There are so many things you can eat as a vegan to reach 1200 calories. My friend is vegan and she eats a hell of a lot of food. You can easily eat that much or more. Beans, veggie sandwiches (calorie dense bread), potatoes and rice (all high in calories), quesadillas, wraps, tacos, pastas....There are a ton of cheap high calorie vegan meals you can make.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Just gonna leave this here...

2392237019_01cecd96f8.jpg
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'd think it'd be far cheaper to eat lentils, grains and beans from a than meat.

A dry pound of pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, lentils, peas, bean soup, and most grains like rice, quinoa etc etc cooks up to over 7 one cup servings, and that runs $1/per dry pound.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

BIlcXrECcAA0jFS.jpg

Haha, that is funny.

you can make your own french fries... on a frying pan... on the stove... your mom won't let you use the stove in the summer?? how old are you??????
    Can you? Without deep frying? Cause I don't eat anything deep fried.
    Haha, 18.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    And I do eat rice quite a bit, but it really heats up my house to cook, so I can't make it often.

Make a large batch one day a week and heat up the leftovers in the mircowave the rest of the week.

That's what I do. Because I hate cooking it all the time.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I'd think it'd be far cheaper to eat lentils, grains and beans from a than meat.

A dry pound of pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, lentils, peas, bean soup, and most grains like rice, quinoa etc etc cooks up to over 7 one cup servings, and that runs $1/per dry pound.
    Never really thought about beans. Thanks.
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    :huh:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Vegan here.

Peanut butter!! Eat it.
    nuts, seeds
    avocado
    coconut
    healthy fats :)

you can make a baked potato/sweet potato in the microwave

bananas are about as cheap as you can get
    my favorite way to eat them is in banana nice cream
    also called banana soft serve
    great in the summer!
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

Excuses! There are so many things you can eat as a vegan to reach 1200 calories. My friend is vegan and she eats a hell of a lot of food. You can easily eat that much or more. Beans, veggie sandwiches (calorie dense bread), potatoes and rice (all high in calories), quesadillas, wraps, tacos, pastas....There are a ton of cheap high calorie vegan meals you can make.
    Fair enough point. I don't really cook though. Not much time. And I don't eat fast food. EVER. So I usually just make a salad or fruit salad real quick, or grab a can of vegan soup from my pantry.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Never really thought about beans. Thanks.

:huh: You are vegan and never thought about beans??????? It is one of the main sources of protein for vegans.
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    Vegan here.

Peanut butter!! Eat it.
    nuts, seeds
    avocado
    coconut
    healthy fats :)

Mmm, peanut butter.