16:8 IF Diet - No results after 3 weeks

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    some people take "fasting" too literally, I guess...
  • EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the help guys. Jessie, fair enough that you don't agree with fasting. I have no problems with that. One thing I will say is that recently I've been learning a lot more about fasting and in actual fact it has massive health benefits so it most certainly isn't just for the weight loss. Look up autophagy and how it works to repair damaged cells etc. I really don't know where the breakfast, lunch and dinner thing ever came from but I've learned of late that people do this out of habit. That's it. We can easily survive and be healthy without ever having breakfast for example. A lot of it is down to conventional wisdom.

I quite like Thavoice's approach combined with 2 fast days to start with. Thanks for the tips guys!
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Eat just once a day works for some people but I don't think it is the best for most people. Even if you are not starving and don't overeat at the end of the day, it doesn't seem like a great plan. Your car wouldn't run on empty all day with the promise of gas at the end of the day so it seems that we should do the same for our bodies and keep them fueled with healthy food throughout the day.

When will people get that this car analogy absolutely DOES NOT WORK in comparison to the human body?

OP, I have lost the last 80 or so pound intermittent fasting. It's incredible for me. But I've had periods where I've maintained, and even gained, over the last year because meal timing does not magically make up for eating at, or above, whatever your TDEE is.

IFing simply helps some people get the deficit in a way that makes them feel more comfortable. It doesn't mean you can't stall, or gain, doing it.

Just because you are losing weight does not mean that it is healthy for you to do this. I would lose tons of weight very rapidly if I just stopped eating for a week or two but that does not mean that my body is doing well on the inside. If you don't want to compare to a car, which is just the easiest analogy, then think about a child/teen in school. If they don't eat for the whole day, they will not be able to perform at their best, a fact which I don't think anyone would argue with. Just because you force your body to function without adding more fuel to it during the day doesn't mean that it is good for you. Why would you treat your body different then you would want your child to treat theirs? Plus, the idea of this process, or it should be anyway, is to form lifelong healthy eating and exercise habits and not solely to lose weight. If fasting is what you want to do then go for it but don't act like you are doing yourself a favor. It is not a method, imho, that should be pushed as a healthy option to people.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, no clue of how the human body works, no insight into how other people function, and trying to educate you would be an utter waste of my time.

Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine. Eat something, it might help your attitude.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Eat just once a day works for some people but I don't think it is the best for most people. Even if you are not starving and don't overeat at the end of the day, it doesn't seem like a great plan. Your car wouldn't run on empty all day with the promise of gas at the end of the day so it seems that we should do the same for our bodies and keep them fueled with healthy food throughout the day.

When will people get that this car analogy absolutely DOES NOT WORK in comparison to the human body?

OP, I have lost the last 80 or so pound intermittent fasting. It's incredible for me. But I've had periods where I've maintained, and even gained, over the last year because meal timing does not magically make up for eating at, or above, whatever your TDEE is.

IFing simply helps some people get the deficit in a way that makes them feel more comfortable. It doesn't mean you can't stall, or gain, doing it.

Just because you are losing weight does not mean that it is healthy for you to do this. I would lose tons of weight very rapidly if I just stopped eating for a week or two but that does not mean that my body is doing well on the inside. If you don't want to compare to a car, which is just the easiest analogy, then think about a child/teen in school. If they don't eat for the whole day, they will not be able to perform at their best, a fact which I don't think anyone would argue with. Just because you force your body to function without adding more fuel to it during the day doesn't mean that it is good for you. Why would you treat your body different then you would want your child to treat theirs? Plus, the idea of this process, or it should be anyway, is to form lifelong healthy eating and exercise habits and not solely to lose weight. If fasting is what you want to do then go for it but don't act like you are doing yourself a favor. It is not a method, imho, that should be pushed as a healthy option to people.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, no clue of how the human body works, no insight into how other people function, and trying to educate you would be an utter waste of my time.

Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine. Eat something, it might help your attitude.

Nice attempt to deflect from the fact that you still have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about.

Really, nice attempt.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Can you manually set your daily calories allowance on MFP and can it be change for days of fasting? Cheers!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No you can't, just write yourself a note in the daily diary area.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I was hooked up to a machine called a Dach machine or something? Basically it pass a 5hz electrical signal through your body and outputs to the Dach(?) machine which gives you a reading between 0 and 100. The supplements were suggested to me due to the readings. I'd never heard of sea kelp or chlorella before hand to be honest. One thing I will do though is take at least one probiotic capsule per day to boost the immune system.

Sounds like a waste fo time...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The timing of your meals makes no difference. Cut it out with fasting and diets. It's calories in vs. calories out. You need to be logging consistently and accurately every single day. If not, you have no clue what you're really eating. It's not WHEN you eat, it's WHAT you eat.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    I was hooked up to a machine called a Dach machine or something? Basically it pass a 5hz electrical signal through your body and outputs to the Dach(?) machine which gives you a reading between 0 and 100. The supplements were suggested to me due to the readings. I'd never heard of sea kelp or chlorella before hand to be honest. One thing I will do though is take at least one probiotic capsule per day to boost the immune system.

Why is it a waste of time? If there is valid evidence that it's a waste of time then fair enough, but this comment doesn't really help me much.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    No you can't, just write yourself a note in the daily diary area.

Thanks. I've set my calories at my TDEE of 2,494 and in fast days I'll just ensure there's around 2,000 unused. I'm also thinking that there is no point in adding excercise as it seems best not to eat the extra calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Why is it a waste of time? If there is valid evidence that it's a waste of time then fair enough, but this comment doesn't really help me much.

So you are telling me that a magic machine "passed" a 5hz signal and from that you got some sea kelp supplements?
    Care to explain how this ISN'T a total waste of time?

I'm open to new ideas but my somewhat extensive research knowledge suggests its a waste of time. The onus of efficacy is yours. Unless there is evidence that it is useful for something, it isn't. There are zero publications in pubmed/medline on a so-called Dach machine. Zero.
  • drdelirium
    drdelirium Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OP: Where did you get this electrical machine test done - what kind of center/clinic? What kind of healthcare professional administered it and/or advised you on the recommended supplements afterward?
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    So you are telling me that a magic machine "passed" a 5hz signal and from that you got some sea kelp supplements?

I'm open to new ideas but my somewhat extensive research knowledge suggests its a waste of time. The onus of efficacy is yours. Unless there is evidence that it is useful for something, it isn't. There are zero publications in pubmed/medline on a so-called Dach machine. Zero.

Apologies. It's actually a Dietx machine I think it's called. No idea where I got Dach from! It is similar to this one: http://www.allergycarenutrition.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/3373?opendocument&part=3

I looked up food intolerance testing in my local area and only a few places do it. From the results that came out it was suggested that I cut back on diary products and try taking kelp, chlorella and probiotic capsules. I mentioned earlier that I also get headaches in the middle of the day and the only way to get rid of them is to sleep. Presumably this is why dropping diet coke from my diet completely and taking chlorella may help to boost my energy levels.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Apologies. It's actually a Dietx machine I think it's called. No idea where I got Dach from! It is similar to this one: http://www.allergycarenutrition.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/3373?opendocument&part=3

I looked up food intolerance testing in my local area and only a few places do it. From the results that came out it was suggested that I cut back on diary products and try taking kelp, chlorella and probiotic capsules. I mentioned earlier that I also get headaches in the middle of the day and the only way to get rid of them is to sleep. Presumably this is why dropping diet coke from my diet completely and taking chlorella may help to boost my energy levels.

And Dietx machine gives zero results in PubMed also.

Chlorella is a reasonable source of B12 and iron but really, unless you have an identified deficiency (via blood tests not by being zapped by a current) it won't do diddly.

Here is a reference: http://examine.com/supplements/Chlorella/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

cQhyD39.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    There is SO MUCH butthurt in this thread.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    [/quote]
    cQhyD39.gif
    [/quote]

Hahaha that actually made me laugh!

On a serious note though, I had no idea that these devices were considered inaccurate.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ok Sunshine, fine I have no idea what I am talking about. There is no research out there that shows that eating small meals often is better for you. There is not research out there that shows that eating large meals (which you would have to fasting for most of the day in order to get your calories and whatnot) is bad for you. There is nothing that shows anything about what I have been talking about. <Sarcasm> I know there are studies out there that say that fasting is great for your health, and I won't dismiss that but I will stick to my original point that it is NOT the solution for most people. I will also stick to my original point that it is extremely easy to go way over your calorie goals when eating this way. I am done discussing this with you though until you learn how to use manners to address a person who has an understanding other than your own. Just because you can find research that supports your position doesn't mean that it is the most correct one. I also have research to support mine. And not all research is worthwhile, there have been many studies throughout history that have later been proven to be false and many things have been approved as safe when later were determined they weren't. Anyway, have a nice life and enjoy living in that bubble where you are the only person that could possibly be correct and there is no conversation about it with you.