WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,274 Member
    Options
    Good morning once again my lovely Vit F friends!

Warm and sunny in Hampshire today. Gardening to do and I am at last going to make the cauliflower cake and eat some of it tonight and for tomorrow lunch and freeze the rest for our guests' starter on Friday. It serves 10! ! ! !

Michele - I have two freezers - one huge one in the kitchen with a matching fridge and a normal sized one in the garage which we bought for freezing our fruit harvest, but both are completely crammed to bursting. We freeze bread as we live in a village with no shop so that takes up room. I only like the bread from one bakery which is a drive away. We are going to have to eat something! ! ! ! I must say that I think the freezer is the dieter's best friend.:bigsmile:

Kim - I am very fussy about my scones. Almost nowhere makes them to my liking! :tongue: In the West of England you will see adverts for "Cream Tea" everywhere. Sometimes they are stale, sometimes too much bicarb, sometimes they commit the cardinal sin of putting raisins in them, :angry: and nearly always they have sugar in them.:explode: Scones should be plain, no sugar, and the right amount of baking powder. I use a very old recipe book which is falling apart. I bought it at university.:happy: I try to use some acidic agent like ypghourt in the milk as it's best with buttermilk. My scones are just like the ones my granny and my dad used to make.:laugh: He always made them triangular and I do sometimes, but this time I made them circular.

Meg - clotted cream is very gently heated fresh cream and then the crust of cream is skimmed off the top for clotted cresm. It is twice as fattening as normal cream.:laugh: After runny cheese it is my favourite thing in the world, next to olive oil and buttter, but I don't eat more than a scraping of those very rarely these days.:cry: In Cornwall you put strawberry jam on the half scone first, followed by a big dollop of clotted cream, (that's the way I like it), in Devon you put the cream on first, followed by the jam.:noway: A cream tea was always a highlight or two of a holiday in the West Country.:sad: :brokenheart:

Love to all. I haven't forgotten my little weightloss history, though I have to get to my laptop to do it. I normally use my tablet.

Heather in flowery Hampshire UK

PS Deedee - if you are bringing the stinky cheese you have an open invitation.:heart::drinker:
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Vit F:flowerforyou:
    Since some of you were curious IGCSE stands for International General Certificate for Secondary Education. Its equivalent of Grade 10 and is a part of the UK curriculum run by Cambridge.
    Literature is from all around the world including contemporary authors and poets. Its challenging and interesting. Unlike our Indian curriculum where we are guided by a set of prescribed text books, this curriculum is more open ended.
    Got to run. Take care all you lovely ladies.Jb, great to see the charming Ms Mariah
    Anamika:smile:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I couldn't accept that I wasn't in the 170's yesterday so I made sure I was perfect again yesterday and weighed again today. 178.8 - YAY!!!! So I basically lost 4 pounds this week after 90 days of doing the same thing. Can't believe all it took was to quit taking the ibuprofen. When I complained to my doctor that I was doing what I'd always done to lose weight and was actually gaining weight, he merely gave me diet pills. 30 days later after still gaining he sold me his metabolic shakes. 2 weeks later after still gaining I stopped both. I was also complaining because my blood pressure was elevated. My blood pressure is usually scarily low but lately the top number has been in the 130's. I've barely been 100 in the past. He just said, "You're still in the normal range." I'm mad because after researching it, weight gain and high blood pressure are very common problems of taking high doses of ibuprofen. He should have known that. I think he just wanted to sell things to me.

Anyway, hopefully I am on track now and become one of you again. I have a family wedding to go to on August 1st. No one in my family has ever seen me fat. Last spring I was there and weighed 155. And in my youth I was in my 120;s so they would be shocked to see me as big as I am now. Hopefully I can be in the 160' by then.

Anyway, I'll catch up with everyone. Just be expecting my endless deluge of trail riding pictures and good looking teenagers.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well Ladies,

Today is FRIDAY!:happy: I’ve made it through the week. Thanks to all for your well wishes.

A lot of things have blown up around me but yesterday I had the wonderful thought that I am alright!:smile: Sometimes blow ups and outs yield great results. DD and the grandkids daddy understand the boundaries of our concerns and contributions now. The SO has yielded the number of hours he spends with the TV and I have yielded the number of hours I spend with the computer. This question I can only ask you guys this Cherry Tere question…if you make sure you are rigorous during s** can you count it as light calistentics? :laugh: Anyway the SO is in love again!:heart:

Eileen: Sorry about the water in the house! We had a sewer line blocked earlier this year and it was a mess. Glad you didn’t get a ticket going through the red lights. Thankfully we have a Sheetz not to far away and before any lights. A 10:30 p.m. trip to Sheetz for the bathroom is no fun but is funny!:laugh:

Carol: Sounds like you are making real progress! Congratulations on graduating the boy child!:flowerforyou:

Kathy: Welcome! Glad you don’t have any drama in your life right now. If you feel left out feel free to borrow some of mine.:bigsmile:

Gloria: Please keep us advised of your progress with the Biggest Loser 6 Week To A Healthier You and please don’t stop eating all together. We would miss you.

Heather: Boy did you make me hungry!:wink:

Joyce: Excellent choice about the Biggest Loser contestants. You would think if you followed their diet you would lose, maybe not quite as much, but like they do. You really have to stop and think….they are exercising eight hours a day or more!:grumble:

YannieJannie: Which park are you doing? I would have enjoyed seeing the crested woodpecker. We share our yard with a bee martin – who gives us hours of enjoyment watching it go after various birds, squirrels and cats, cardinals, blue jays, and the most beautiful blue birds have a nest in one of our side trees. We also have a hawk in the neighborhood. Birds are so relaxing.

Heather: Thanks for explaining “cream tea” and clotted cream. It sounds delicious and something I couldn’t have enough of so I’ll skip it.:tongue:

I have the grandkids tonight and a really full Saturday….so here are my best wishes to all for a great weekend.:flowerforyou:

Tere in Richmond VA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee I agree about the rain. I got caught about two weeks ago in that type of rain. Fortunately I was only about a mile form home.:drinker:

Gloria agree with Michele about the stress. Be gentle with yourself as you go into summer mode. Sometimes it does take a jump start to get your body out of maintenance. Let us know how it is working for you.

We are having a glorious day today. Sunny high 75. I plan to take advantage working outside and going for a walk.

Son is slowly putting his life back together. Thanks for all the prayers.

Today I will enjoy the sunshine, so tomorrow I wake to a healthier me.

2014 word: contentment

:heart:
    Margaret
  • bbaldree64
    bbaldree64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am so glad I found this blog today. I have never contributed to a public blog like this before, but I am needing some encouragement right now, so I thought I would give it a go. My name is Barbara and my goal is to lose 50 pounds before I turn 50 in December.

I started my weight loss journey (AGAIN) on May 31 and have hit that point that I always do....three weeks in and getting bored with keeping track of every...single...thing...I eat. UGH! On the plus side, in the first two weeks, I lost five pounds. YAY! On the negative, I am frustrated that I appear to have made no loss this week.

Since I have never really lost weight before, I don't know what's realistic for me. When I was in my mid to late 20s, I weighed around 130 (I think) but then, every time I had a baby, I kept 20 extra pounds. In case math is not your strong suit, that adds up to 60 pounds! And, I just like to eat...

So, can you help me out? Is it a common thing to hit a plateau this early in the journey? What are some strategies that y'all have used to keep yourself motivated to continue tracking every...single....thing?

Looking forward to joining this great exchange of ideas and supports. Have a wonderful day!

Barbara in Byron, GA (that's about 100 miles south of Atlanta...)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there, good morning to all.

Thanks once again, just knowing you're all cheering for Mariah's success helps so much. :flowerforyou: I've been thinking a lot about her sister, Gabriela, and how she must be feeling in the midst of all of this. It's time I write her a letter. :wink:

I've had a hellacious 6 weeks with all of the bad news, and sad news, and then coming down with a virus, ugh. I'm still not back to my normal self, but little by little the sinuses are clearing, the coughing less. What misery it's been. My psyche has been affected in a way that's going to take some work to correct. Focusing on the positives might be a good place to start, don't you think?. Climbing up out of a hole takes work, just like growing a garden does. I need to remember that.

Cheryl, I see you've come to join the ranks once again, welcome. You've had a time, haven't you. Aiming to lose those pounds by August 1st is quite a lofty goal, but with the right combo of foods it can be done. Wishing you well.

It's a little showery here today, windy, black clouds! I have a weed patch to attack, some housework to accomplish, a few music lessons to teach and some cooking to do. Must get busy and process the mountain of spinach I have in the fridge from the garden, I'll make a quiche, and most likely freeze the rest.

Have a wonderful day!

:smile: jb in stormy Portland
  • grasgal
    grasgal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. on ibuprofen. I do have high blood pressure due to weight and the last thing I need is medication (1400mg+ at times) adding to the hbp and weight.
    Margaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Thank you for the encouraging words. It's been a roller coaster, but I had a great sleep last night and feel much better today!

Michele - We have gotten some bad storms. On Wednesday afternoon, we had a storm pass just barely to the east of us but had a bad one later (just as I was leaving work) and then more during the night.

My parents are coming in later today for the boy child's graduation. For the first time in almost 30 years they are staying in a hotel. My house is just simply in too much disarray to try to have anyone else in the building. In many ways, that relieves a LOT of stress! Graduation is tonight. Yikes! The boy child is at graduation rehearsal right now. That reminds me--I need to go get him a card and my father a father's day card when I leave work. I told my son that he would get some money from me later and that I would help him get the bedding and other things he will need for his room.

I may have an opportunity to add a third paying job to my plate. I wrote the Safe Church policy at my work church and was on the committee for the one at my own church (these policies and procedures are for the prevention of abuse (primarily sexual) in the church). I did the initial training at work and have begun doing it at my own church. One lady was so impressed with my training that she suggested that I "take it on the road" and do training at other churches. We had an incident in the community where a church bus picked up a 2-year-old whose parents had no clue where the child was. After the police officer (who was meeting with the lady and her group--an organization for prevent drug, alcohol, tobacco, etc. abuse in children) went on and on about parenting lessons, my lady popped up and said that the driver of the church bus should never have picked up the child in the first place and would not have if he/she had been appropriately trained. That's where I was mentioned. Although it would take time, this is an area of passion for me and I enjoy teaching. Crossed fingers it works out. I need to come up with a fee schedule...

JB - Thanks so much for posting the pictures of Mariah. She is a beautiful child and looks to be a fighter. So wonderful to have a face with the name.

Gloria - Hang in there! I haven't lost any weight for months now. I have lost some inches, though. I can't figure out if I am "just" at a plateau or if I have reached the weight my body is comfortable at. I'm just going to keep on doing what I am supposed to do and figure, if nothing else, I am eating mostly healthy and exercising which is all that can be expected of an individual. I won't starve myself to get to a particular weight because I won't be able to keep it up long term. However, I do understand the frustration!!

Crap! I know there are more of you going through very difficult times but my mind is a sieve and I haven't retained the details.

Oh, the same lady who mentioned me for teaching...Her group helps with "sting" operations on local business which sell alcohol to see if they card or not. They want my son to help out because he looks older than he is and my daughter because she looks younger than she is. My son would work with a plainclothes police officer because he is underage. My daughter just needs a driver so that there is a quick getaway. Guess who the driver is?! I get to spend some time with my daughter and have fun parking and positioning the car for the getaway. It's also interesting where she gets carded and where she doesn't. Some of the sketchiest mini-marts carded her but CVS Pharmacy and Just Save Foods (part of the Lowes Food stores operation) didn't. Go figure!

Wow! Just got interrupted by a phone call and spent the last twenty minutes counseling with a woman whose granddaughter attempted suicide and the young woman's family demand that she seek "Christian" counseling. The grandmother is so scared that this means they will have the young woman talking to a random "pastor" that they pick out because they're all about "leaving it up to God." Even though the pastor here has a degree in psychology, he would never attempt to counsel someone who is suicidal--he knows it is beyond his training. So many jackleg preachers don't know (or care) that it takes special training to deal with suicidal tendencies. Not my job to counsel, but I can listen and share my own experience, which is what I did with the grandmother.

I guess I'd better get back to work. I still have bulletins to stuff and distribute!

Have a great day and log that food and water!

Carol in sunny NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kathy in NJ: I’m happy you found us again. These threads can only go to 500 posts and then are continued to a new thread. You can find the link to the new thread at the end of the 500th post.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I am delighted for you that your rental property window has finally been replaced. Good luck on getting new tenants that will want to stay for a long time. My tiny garden is yielding wonderful snow peas from healthy vines. We snack on them, and so do the neighbors with our blessings. Most of those I use are broken into halves or thirds and put into tossed salads, or just eaten raw right off of the vines. They seldom get cooked at all. I like them best raw and tend to overcook them when I try to steam them or microwave them. The sugar snap peas I planted at a later time are not doing as well. They ended up with poor germination and seem spindly by comparison. The pole beans I planted intermixed with them did not grow at all. The tomato plant I bought has set fruit, and the volunteers are growing “like weeds.” Other than that, I grow parsley, chives, oregano, sage and thyme in pots on my east facing deck. I have an enormous rosemary bush in the ground. I can’t seem to keep them healthy in pots. Last year we bought our first blueberry bush and we added two more this spring. Our townhouse has east north and west exposure to the sun, with the majority of the space being on the north side. I can grow lots of pretty fuchsias, but not much that needs full sun. Right across the sidewalk, my neighbor has a southern exposure and lots of sun. It is weird how different the conditions are on opposite sides of the shared sidewalk.:huh: :flowerforyou:

Vicki GI NE: I like to weigh on the same scale, too. That way it is at least consistent with itself. Our old scale was not reliable and we bought a new one shortly after we started dieting. It has served us well for the last year and a half, so far.:flowerforyou:

Meg from Omaha: Regarding your DD, I am sure she means to keep her word to her dad, and I hope she is able to do it. Kids at that age sometimes have short attention spans and forget their promises. It isn’t connected to honesty, in many cases. While the law may call them adults, most aren't there yet. Our kids didn’t come through the transition for a good long while. It was their late twenties and early thirties when I noticed real adult behavior. Good luck to all of you getting through this transition to adulthood.:flowerforyou:

Jane: Congratulations on the upcoming grandchild. Our second is due in September.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I love your jokes! WTG on movement! 10,861 steps is impressive.:flowerforyou:

BJ from SW ON: I’ve only had food poisoning once, and hope never to have it again. DH and I ate pizza that had been sitting out on our counter overnight. He came down with food poisoning a few hours after I did, while on a road trip to attend his uncle’s funeral 400 miles away. I wasn’t along on that trip because I was already sick when the call came, but my son went with his dad. It was a memorable occasion—Mount Saint Helens erupted that day after hundreds of years of dormancy. I hope you never experience food poisoning again, either.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: DH and I have been experiencing weird sleep patterns lately, too. His have been related to his diabetes regime, and mine seem random to me. Sometimes they’re directly related to his snoring. We’ve no reason to think his MS is involved in the sleep issue. I hope your situation improves soon. :flowerforyou: There is a black light miniature golf course in a hotel basement in downtown Portland that we’ve visited with our kids. It has a pirate theme. I had a tough time judging what to do at many of the holes, and did well at others. I was not the winner of our little tournament but we all had a good time. As an only child, I seem to have an underdeveloped desire to compete except at cards. We’re pretty evenly matched there and wins and losses aren’t too lopsided.:flowerforyou:

Alison: What a great father’s day gift for your DH! I’m so glad you’ve mentioned it, because I’d totally forgotten Father’s Day. DH will simply say, “I’m not your father.” But, he is the father of MY children. I’ll tell him he’s my ‘baby daddy.’ :love: I need to think of something nice to do for him.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: A new foal must have been a nice surprise for your DD. They’re so cute with their long spindly legs! Congratulations on the pileated woodpecker sighting! DH has seen several in mature conifer trees, but I haven’t managed to spot even one.:grumble:

Barbie: Your 90 year old cousin’s eating pizza right after a hospital stay at least shows a desire to enjoy life. That is a good thing. Do we really need to worry about nutrition at 90? I think so, but what do I know. I overate pizza last night, myself, and went seriously over my calorie allowance for the first time in a LONG time. Pizza can be too tempting and way too salty.:ohwell: :blushing:

Michele: What sort of aluminum do you take to the humane society? Oregon passed a bottle bill decades ago and all of our cans and beverage bottles have deposits on them at the time of purchase. You can get the deposit back when you return the can or bottle for recycling. Taking the empties back for the refund is time consuming. Now we take all of our recyclable cans & bottles to the Humane Society as a donation. Volunteers take them back to the stores for the deposit fees and that helps fund the Humane Society. Several of our neighbors do the same thing.:flowerforyou:

Kim: A Thundershirt is probably another name for a Thundercoat. You can look them up on Amazon and see pictures. They’re useful in calming anxiety. We bought one for our dog and it seemed to help him in the car, but not during fireworks. I wonder if they make them for people, too. They give a bit of squeeze that helps relieve anxiety.:flowerforyou:

CynthiaT: You are doing the right thing by waiting for surgery until your weight is lower. Our neighbor desperately needs knee replacement surgery and he is seriously obese. Rather than losing weight, he is looking for a surgeon who will operate. I don’t think he’ll have much luck. He has heart trouble. I wouldn’t take that risk if I were a surgeon. :flowerforyou:

Cheryl: Welcome back! It is good to see you again. It sounds as though your doctor is more interested in his profit than your health. It may be time to find another doctor. I will love every picture of trail riding.:flowerforyou:

Tere in Richmond VA: Wow! Congrats on the improved love life. I never thought about s*x as exercise. I found an article online: http://www.womansday.com/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923:drinker: :heart:

JB: You are an excellent auntie to remember that Gabriela's life is upside down, too. I'm sure she will love getting a letter from you.:flowerforyou:

We’re having another day of rain, and we need it. This has been an exceptionally dry year so far. I’ve no idea how I’ll spend the rest of the day, but my bike is on its trainer in the garage so I can get pedaling time in if all else fails.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~Going to lunch with my knitting buddys.Have a great day!!!
    hugs
    jane
  • LogR4Life
    LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!! I'm new to your group but not new to the community. I have been on MFP on and off for about three years I think. I'd love to be part of an encouraging group of women my own age! I retired at the end of March and have been on a whirlwind of vacations since then . . . but it's time to buckle down and get serious. After battling this weight thing since the birth of my youngest son 26 years ago, I have decided that NOW it is going to be a priority in my life. I would love to get to know you and hope that you will take a look at my profile and recently started blog so you can start to get to know me!

My goals for the month of June will be to log my food, and exercise three times per week. I know that for me these are the two most important things I can do to make me successful.

We are going to the trailer for the weekend so I may be out of touch after this afternoon (I don't think I can access the community stuff on my iPad or iPhone). I hope you will friend me and take me into your group!! I'd like to be an active part of the community.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Progress in stydying for my group fitness instructor exam so I can teach Zumba in most organizations. I just finished reading Chapter three in my Exercise Science Manual. Now I have to watch the DVD, define all the bolded terms and answer the questions at the end of the chapter. Who decided I should do this? ;-)

:heart: meg from Omaha: Good luck in your subbing today. I used to teach college and keeping schedules was pretty difficult.

:heart: yanniejannie mid-Atlantic - It's pretty yucky today in NYC; pouring on and off. I hope your doctor's appt. goes well

:heart: bbaldree64 Bryon, GA - Welcome to MFP. My advice is to be patient, make some friends, and don't get wired when things don't go as well as you want. :-) Also, fyi; a plateau is when you haven't lost weight in about six weeks. It took me a year to lose 25 pounds. I had one really bad plateau when I started weigh training.

Well, time for lunch and Body Pump at 12:30. Everyone have a good weekend.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I just got back from feeding my fitbit. 2.25 miles so far today. Feels really good!

JB, I agree that big sister deserves some special attention too.

SnagTop, welcome! What part of the world are you from, and is there another name we can call you? This thread is about ready to split into part two, so look for it. There will be a link after the 500th post.

Jane, I hope you are feeling better by now. Take care.

Bye for now.

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just discovered some good news that I wanted to share! I've been really worried about being able to get enough out of my house to make a down payment on a condo or something and have a tiny cushion for a few new things and to start a LITTLE savings account (I'm talking clearing $10,000 from the sale). I finally looked up my neighbor's house to see what they are asking for it. Wait for it....$164,000! I was hoping to ask $130,000 for mine!!!! They've closed in a screened porch so can advertise 4 bedrooms, but we both have corner lots (mine is slightly bigger) and they have 8 people living in their house. Not in a contest with them, but it makes me feel much, much better. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! My name is Christine and I'm from Massachusetts, USA. I've been on / off MFP for about 3 years and recently have decided I need to be active again and loose that menopot! I could use a couple friends to get me on the right path again!
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey can I join??? I'm turning 49 next month and my ultimate goal now is to be down 50lbs by my 50th birthday!

I've been working my butt off with workouts and logging but it's slow. My biggest obstacle is the idea that at "my age" it will be almost impossible to lose 50lbs.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Adaniel! We can do with a young whipper snapper or two! Your goal seems reasonable and achievable if you work at it. Several of us are quite a bit older than you and managed to lose the weight with effort. This thread will close with the next post. You can find it again by going to my topics, & Women 50+. There will be a link to a new thread attached to the 500th post. Don't get lost now that you've found us. Just follow the link.
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday the 13th Ladies (and we also have a full moon tonight or as I’ve heard Lunatic Moon)

I have had a very productive day so far. Got up early and got a 75 minute walk in. Then made some macaroni and pretzel salad for a cookout we are having on Sunday. I even got to the Y and did my strength circuit. Its just 3:15 and I have 16,000 steps so may get a 20k day in.

Have a wonderful weekend.
    Suzy
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for welcoming me and for using "young" in addressing me t' boot! I love it here already!