WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I didnt exercise yesterday or today, having a little bit of tummy troubles so not going to worry about it..
    I go into work at 9:30 this morning, and on my second cup of tea, did laundry and will bring soup and mini triscuits for lunch, I know they are alot of sodium ,but will just have the one serving.. trying to get my fruit and veggies in daily.. but have to go shopping this weekend..
    Hope all are ok... and I cant wait for vacation!!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Joyce: that would work, putting it in a ziplock bag, or some kind of waterproof sports bag you can attach to your suit so it doesn't float away. There are lots of things on the market.
    Michele: I said what? Or is there another Cynthia on here? My dog got a herring, as he does on every holiday. And even more cuddles than usual! :heart:
    DeeDee: belated response. Heart seems OK recently; once in a while there's a flutter or something. Cardiologist next week.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm a newbie to this thread although I've been with MFP for 520 days. I'm going to be 50 in 13 days :noway: :noway: :noway: so I figured I would say hello :happy: . I've lost just over 60 pounds in my time with MFP and I can honestly say that I am in better shape now (at 49 7/8) than I was in my 20's.

I hope it's OK to join this group with a goal of gaining a little bit of weight. I guess I went overboard with losing and working out and ended up being below where I should. If I can put on 10 pounds or so, I would be OK with that. But, I don't want to give up my exercise. That's what keeps me happy.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC: I am glad to see a Wii Pal! I love my Wii. :love: Before we got a gym membership I used it for my exercise routine along with walking the dog. I would bowl and play golf for hours. I’ve always had poor balance so I love the balance games! I can honestly say they have helped me tremendously. I got the Wii Fit module 2 years ago and use it every day. It has helped me to explore Yoga which is a welcome addition to my life.

Belinda From California: Welcome! :flowerforyou: I am working hard to achieve “Onederland” too! This group has really been a great help for me and I’ve learned a lot from all the wonderful ladies.

Joyce: Bra shopping is the pits! Getting the right band size and cup size is an adventure. In 2012 I went for a bra sizing, I went in with a 42DDD, got fitted, and walked out in a 40HH. Talk about changing the way to think about things and the cost was astronomical! Last month I went to Lane Bryant and got fitted because one of my BFFs told me she thought my bra was too big. I now have a 40H. I was fortunate because they had a buy one get one free sale. My next obstacle is to find a swim suit that will hold the girls!:laugh:

Meg: It was all I could manage not to wring my DD’s neck last evening. :explode: She made an alright day into a nightmare. Sometimes I think there is “drama” just to get attention! I am sick, sick, sick and tired of her and the grandkid’s daddy! I finally had to tell them that I really couldn’t care less what they did but they had better take extra good care of the kids or else. :noway: Bottomless sympathy for you here!:flowerforyou:

Patty: I’ve embraced changing my lifestyle so although I see my calories when I log in each day, I don’t really count calories as I go along. I just try to use some common sense. For instance, I know if I eat a Danish it is around 1000 calories so I just don’t eat them anymore. When I know I am going out to dinner it means I need to have an extra 15 minutes of cardio to offset it.:smile:

Kim: I haven’t had an all out shopping adventure in awhile. I tend to shop in consignment shops and thrift stores because I have dropped a size each year. However, when I get to my goal weight I think I will take your advice and really go all out!:happy:

Carol in NC: I have been reciting the Serenity Prayer for the last couple of weeks. It helps.:smile:

Katla: Thanks for the words of advice! :smile: Those words were quietly running around in my head. I’ll reassess at the end of the Summer, see where I am and adjust.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW LADIES!:flowerforyou:

Tere in Richmond VA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hartland45: Welcome to a great group! We’ve had some great successes among us, and one of those successes is the wonderful sense of community here despite geographical distances.:flowerforyou:

Patceoh: I appreciate the catfish recipe. I definitely needed cayenne. The cornmeal coating is a great idea, too. I’ve never deep fried anything and don’t have a fryer for that so It would have to be done in a cast iron pot. My temperature was probably not high enough, although the fish was neither greasy nor soggy. It was flavorless. This catfish was previously frozen. I wonder if that was part of the flavor problem. Yesterday I used the leftovers in chiles rellenos. That was yummy!:bigsmile:

Patty in Cincinnati: Watch the cooking channel. I can recommend ‘Good Eats’ for basics and Bobby Dean’s, ‘Not My Mama’s Meals’ for lower calorie recipes.:flowerforyou:

SherryHall: Welcome. Where are you from? We have people from all over the place and it is fun knowing where people live. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Glad your heart seems better lately. I’m also glad the cardiologist appointment is only a week away. Getting that appointment may help you fine tune your health regime and give you a little peace of mind. I sure hope so.:flowerforyou:

Jfauci: You are welcome here, and are not the only one who has gone a bit too far with weight loss and had to regain a bit. :noway: Some of us are working on losing, and others are here to help ourselves maintain a healthy weight. The support is so helpful.:flowerforyou:

I have a busy day ahead. There is yoga to start the day, a hair trim along the way, and a city committee meeting this evening. I miss my barber!!!!! He moved away to provide his daughter with parental support when her work-a-holic mom can’t spend enough time with her. It was a noble and wonderful thing for him to do, but now we can’t get his fabulous haircuts anymore.:cry::ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Morning MFP friends! :flowerforyou: I have been here but not just here!:sad: Behind in the conversation but I will catch up. The floor project has thrown me a curve every way I turn, but I have just about licked it and have half of one room to complete.:smile: My guest bedroom which must be done so I can have my grandchildren for mini-vacations this summer:heart: . I am determined to get them out here in the country:love: . All my energy sunrise to sunset has gone into finishing…..neglecting all planned exercise goals:sad: . It doesn’t look I will finish this week because my son and his family are insisting a week at the beach in Florida with them:love: . Happy at the thought for sure but I hate flying anymore:sad: Every summer we drove to the beautiful white sand beaches in Destin and Panama City Beach but this trip is on the Atlantic side below Daytona. Blessed for sure they want me to join them. I will be taking this computer and logging in so I don’t get thrown off the course. I sure don’t want to gain any of the pounds I have lost in the last month. Whew this is work.:blushing: Feeling so much better.

For all the new members, I am Nena from Texas, welcome to the group. :flowerforyou: Look forward to meeting each of you. We all thrive on support from one another here in this forum. :happy: :happy:

Pat..you are so right! There is much in this life we can’t control and it does take maturity to learn to release. Even in this new chapter of my life I still struggle trying to control all those “what if’”. I am learning to be in the moment more and accept that all I can really work through is TODAY. Whew…..what work:laugh: .

Jane….glad you got thru that surgery ok. Press on, girl.:flowerforyou:

Patty congrats on all your past weight loss…:flowerforyou: you are a proven winner I am sure you will manage to continue to have success.

Sherry….you are on a journey to develop this life style change to healthier living…just move every day….drink that water…and remember you have to eat the elephant one bite at a time. You will succeed. I believe in you. It will get easier.:flowerforyou:

Quickly I have to thank everyone that responded to my questions regarding the 1200 calories:love: . It was a challenge to drop down to that count everyday but I can really feel the difference. My hunger pains were strong but better today. I heard on Steve Harvey yesterday that your stomach is the size of your fist. We don’t need the volume of food we think we need. Now there is a thought:noway:

Happy day to all.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I missed so many but I have an appointment with Honda for service. Got to run. Drink, drink, drink…..water that is. LOL.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Nena
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :flowerforyou:

My niece Jennifer sent a message about Mariah this morning...really good news about the tests coming back clear, YAY!!

"Just a quick update on Mariah: went to Dr. Yesterday and got the info on Mariah's treatment plan. Basically, she will be in treatment for the next year. She starts chemo tomorrow with a 4 day inpatient stay at hospital. The next 20 weeks or so will be the toughest and most intense--especially the second 7 weeks when she will have both radiation and chemo together. We are anxious and Mariah has been such a trooper to take in all that is going to happen to her. She amazes me how strong she is, and I am sure that is due to all the prayers sent up on her behalf. Good news: no other cancerous cells found in the spinal fluid nor the bone marrow and all the MRI and CT scans have come back clear. We are starting treatment at the best possible place. For all of those positives, we are praising God and thanking all of you for your prayers and support. We continue to be humbled on a daily basis by gifts and cards and prayers from even people we haven't met in person. These, my friends, are Gods drops of sunshine in this somewhat rainy path. Our spirits are up and we are ready to face this head on. Thanks everyone for your prayers."

Off to the garden I go, still planting away! :bigsmile: Have a wonderful Tuesday, guzzle that water!. :drinker:

:smile: jb in beautiful sunny Portland with flowers everywhere :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: Excellent news about Mariah! Congratulations to the whole family. She will continue in my prayers.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning to all,

First of all, THANK YOU for the kind words and encouragement. It DOES help and is greatly appreciated.

I agree that it's nice to see so many new faces. Best wishes to all for strength, will and belief that you can do what you put your mind to doing. I've often told myself that losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle is the easiest thing in the world....on paper. Unfortunately, real live often gets in the way and blocks our ability to see the forest through the trees.

I feel like I should clarify my last post a bit. While I do agree, in theory, that knowing what is going in and what is getting burned is key to most success weight loss attempts, right now...under my circumstances, I feel like it's working against me a bit. The years of frustration (since my hysterectomy) are taking a toll. When I see on paper over and over and over and over again that I'm "doing the right things" and yet not losing a pound...only gaining, I've come to the conclusion that I have to do something different. Sooooo that's what I'm working out right now. A fresh, new (or fresh old) way of eating, exercising and living. Leaning toward a "downsized" Mediterranean and altering my exercise to longer time with less intensity (with core and weight training) vs. shorter intense work outs.

Anyhow, started this hours ago and have been put behind with unexpected phone calls, etc.

My best to all. Be back soon.

xo- Gloria in Metro Detroit....where the sun continues to shine :smile:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Saving my place. Busy morning.

Jb, wonderful news for Mariah!

Welcome all new ladies!

Cindy in OK
  • Pamala28
    Pamala28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My goodness, it is going to take me forever to get to know you all. I can tell you are a great bunch.

I love MFP. My greatest struggles have been counting calories when I am out to eat, or for special occasions. We had a BQQ yesterday and I just ate very little. My doctor told me to lose weight, and that has been the motivation I needed. I need to lose about 20 pounds. Compared to what some of you have lost, that is peanuts. So why is it so difficult?

My goals for June: Get out of the bus two stops early and walk to work (1.5 kilometer), count calories on MFP, get new batteries for the wii fit. (you have inspired me!) I am saving my pennies for a fitbit.

I am Pamala, in The Netherlands.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, all............Slept well last night!!! Quiet day here, will be working around the house etc. until tai chi and yoga. Two more tomato plants to go in today; late, I know. Doing the endless laundry, grocery store a bit later as I cleaned out the fridge; such a waste---been eating out too much, lots of leftovers in the trash that should have been eaten. Spoke with a friend from line dance; helping with planning (yet another) potluck. Called my cousin for his b-day.

On the bras..........I bought one yesterday at a mall dept. store
    I wanted a white one for under light colored things for summer; had to get beige, couldn't find white
    tried on at least a dozen, nothing fits right, finally bought the best of the bunch. 32DDD?????!!! I used to be a 34B!! Didn't even look at the price, finding anything that fit was worth it.

jb.............thanks for the encourageing news on Mariah!

yanniejannie
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow did I get behind. I went on a cross stitch weekend retreat and got off track. Back on track, I've been out in the garden today and already have almost 5000 steps, and tomatoes. I got the first zucchini last night. It was yummy! One of my friends moved from her large house with a back yard to a condo with no yard, so we are sharing my garden this year. Last year I couldn't eat everything so this year I don't want to waste anything.

I didn't read everything, because I don't have time today, but love and prayers to all who need them. I know that stuff happens and I always pray for my friends and their families.

I've got some errands to run today, so stay safe. Tigress in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Gloria and Pamela sounds like you both have wonderful goal that will help you achieve a healthy you.:smile:

Until I get my major gardening projects done. I have less time than I do in the winter. So I wish everyone well.

Today I will work in the garden, so I I have a healthier me and garden.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    MN Margaret
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    We had a brieve q%a session on the ACE facebook page. No questions today. Sort of a disappointment. I'm working on listing the definistions in chapter two of Exercise Essentials Manual, then I'll start Chapter three.

Yesterday I OD'd on exercise - not good. I did 30 minutes of Fitness Blender in the morning and then went to my usual Monday evening two hour session. I could hardly lift my legs at the end. I don't think I'll do that again.

:smile: Yannie - Hope your exercise routine went well yesterday.

:smile: Exermom (real name?) thanks for the thumbs up on my Zumba training. I'm psyched from the training to work with older people from healthy elders to less able. I have to find some sort of niche that I'll enjoy since I want to keep teaching for a long time. I thought people my age and older would be open to an older instructor.

:smile: Meg - hope everything was well yesterday. I couldn't find your post.

I've finally established a routine of drinking enough water for the day. The key for me was to have two glasses of water first thing on waking up - before I do anything else. It seems to keep me going.

Jacqueline in NYC.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    JB - I'm so happy to hear the good news about Mariah! I hope she gets better very fast and can get back to enjoying being a child again.

Tigress- gardening with a friend sounds like so much fun!

About bras...I was a 44C and had to use an extender on the back. Now I am a 40B and in the tightest hooks. I usually buy the cheapest bras on the rack because they won't fit for long. I still have a lot of back fat to get rid of. I have to say I'm enjoying the smaller cup size, but hope I don't get too much smaller. If I do though, oh well.

Pamela - eating out is really hard. I usually wind up with a green salad and grilled chicken, but some places that isn't even available. How long have you been using MFP? Stick with it and it gets easier. Finding this thread was a real turning point for me. The support these ladies give is amazing. Forget about losing 20 pounds. Just think about losing one. Then one more. Then one more. Baby steps.

Gloria - I think stress may be what's holding you down. You have had a lot to deal with. Be patient and take a deep breath. You'll get there.

At the Y yesterday I added another weight machine and I can feel it today in the fatty part behind my upper arm. I think that's good. Gotta keep that machine in my routine.

Here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

A preacher was standing at the pulpit giving his Sunday sermon when a note was passed to him. The only word written on the sheet was IDIOT. Looking up at the congregation, the preacher smiled and said: I have heard of men who write letters and forget to sign their names but this is the first time I will see a man sign his name and forget to write the letters.

:laugh:

Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
    in soggy, muddy, Kansas
  • Kimber0415
    Options
    Kim in Clear Lake, Iowa - just getting back at it as of yesterday. New to this group but not to MFP. Off to a meeting - will comment about what's going on later. Happy Tuesday!
  • jmsic
    jmsic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :wink: about a week + in, and doing ok. some of the cravings are coming, but able to push them back for now. Logging my food and exercise. day by day.

Janet
    eden prairie, MN
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Anamika!! Hope you have a perfect day. :flowerforyou:

Meg - I think you are absolutely right to allow your DD#1 to have to deal with the consequences of her behavior. She's certainly old enough to understand responsibility and I think she is doing stuff in spite of your upbringing, NOT YOU FAULT!! My former boss had a son like that - even tried to spoil his Dad's wedding by acting like a putz. That was several years ago and now he is the nicest kid and would do anything for his dad. Hang in there, my friend :heart:

Rita - Great to hear you back on the board!! Still hoping we can get together with Alison in CT some time this summer. :glasses:
    Pamala in the Netherlands - we just got back from 3-4 days in Amsterdam - what a lovely city. Wish we could have spent more time there.

Welcome to all the new ladies!! I'm 67, trying to get to Onederland :laugh: and experience loooooong plateaus. I like the concept shared a few months ago, that plateaus are really practice for maintaining later. I started out a size 30 and am now down to 22-24. It's be a very slow process, but I certainly don't want to go back to those size 30s! MY knees and back would revolt (again). Like many of us, I have a variety of chronic conditions and my biggest challenge related to that is keeping salt around 1,500 mg a day and that is difficult.

I work out 3 times a week, mostly strength-training and cardio. Heather in UK is one of my heroes in terms of strength training and planking!! And Michele (Exermom) is the exercise queen, I think :happy: Barbie is my inspiration for upping my walking - don't know if I can do 20,000 steps a day (no doggies to walk), but hope to average at least 10,000.

Have a great day all!! And drink your water!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Jill in western Massachusetts
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies -

Wow it has gotten warm and muggy here. For the month of June, I have done well on the exercise, but haven't gotten to the gym to do strength training.

I have a question/problem, I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight on. Over the past 5 months I have been eating and exercising the same, but have put on close to 15 lbs. I know some of you complain about getting a good nights sleep, I fall asleep fine and get 8-9 hours a night, but when the alarm goes off I could still hit the snooze button. It is very frustrating to work out as hard as I have been and still put on weight (I am now 30 lbs from my goal weight) Most of the weight I have recently put on has all been around my middle. I did have lab work done last week to see if I am in peri-menapause, but haven't gotten the results back yet. I'm not depressed (at least to my self assessment), so I don't think that is a cause for the gain.

Any suggestions/insights?

Thanks.
    Suzy in DE