Is sugar from fruit bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cut back on sugar. I stopped putting it in my coffee, stopped OJ most mornings, and am trying to cut back the wine. I do eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Like today I have grapes, a nectarine, watermelon, strawberries, grape tomatoes, and cherries for snack/breakfast foods. Thoughts?

The sooner you stop thinking about specific foods/nutrients as good, bad, healthy and unhealthy, the better off you'll be. If you like sugar in your coffee, have some and account for the calories. It's fine to cut back on some foods if that helps you achieve a caloric deficit (e.g., I can drink 1000 calories of OJ no problem, so I very rarely buy OJ), but do so if it helps you achieve your goals and not because they're "bad".
    +1

As many others have said, if it's not medically necessary to reduce or eliminate a food from your diet ("necessary" can also mean because you eat way too dmn much of it), then just exercise moderation and you'll probably come out the other side happier. But that's just my two cents.

Me, personally, I don't even track sugar and sodium anymore. It's not necessary for me.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cut back on sugar. I stopped putting it in my coffee, stopped OJ most mornings, and am trying to cut back the wine. I do eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Like today I have grapes, a nectarine, watermelon, strawberries, grape tomatoes, and cherries for snack/breakfast foods. Thoughts?

The sooner you stop thinking about specific foods/nutrients as good, bad, healthy and unhealthy, the better off you'll be. If you like sugar in your coffee, have some and account for the calories. It's fine to cut back on some foods if that helps you achieve a caloric deficit (e.g., I can drink 1000 calories of OJ no problem, so I very rarely buy OJ), but do so if it helps you achieve your goals and not because they're "bad".

^^^ This this this!

I can't stand when people say things like "fruit is bad for you because it's full of carbs and sugar" yeah maybe if you eat like 20 apples...which is probably impossible.

But it's not impossible to drink 20 apples worth of juice. That's what I would personally watch in terms of fruit consumption.

Haha true that!
  • hollyannewood
    hollyannewood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. Fruit is glorious, and good for you. Enjoy it and eat as much as your heart desires :)
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    My diet consists of nothing but fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and beans. I eat tonnes of fruit and it has not negatively impacted me in the slightest..
    My blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are perfect and a recent blood test showed that I am not deficient in anything...I was pretty surprised not to be low in B12 but certainly very happy with the results :smile:

As long as you don't have any existing health issues, eating fruit is good for you!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is fine... in moderation. It's important to have fruit in one's diet but too much of anything can be a bad thing. Watch your sugar macros and try to stay under the limit.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Compared to sucrose ('processed' sugar, as you'd find if you bought a bag of sugar) or HFCS, the sugar in fruit tends to be less 'healthy' for various reasons.
    If you are comparing eating the whole fruit to eating sugar out of the packet, the fibre and so on in the fruit may offer some other benefits.

But I'd definitely echo the above that trying to partition foods as 'good' and 'bad' isn't a very healthy way to look at things - it's far from that black or white - and rare the health benefits/issues from one choice make that much difference.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    In a word no.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much everyone has the right answer.

The only thing that I would say is an apple is healthier than apple juice plus it has fiber.

Also, if you eat it log it.

Try and limit your intake of processes/refined sugars and HFCS.

Thats my 2 cents hope it helps.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fruits are a good option of super -healthy snack. Fruits have fiber and other nutrients which are great part of your diet. Sugar is not bad for you, but access sugar is definitely bad, it also depends in that where it comes from. Fruit sugar is good, but it is worse for women more than 26 grams and more than 36 grams in men. It also differs in the cases of different fruits.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is good
    Why is fruit sugar good?

It doesn't replenish muscle glycogen nearly as well table sugar, is more likely to be converted to fat and is the current target of demonisation for being unhealthy.
  • tom_12345
    tom_12345 Posts: 4
    Options
    So true, i've seen people get stressed out a lot over what they should eat and what they shouldn't which has an adverse affect. Just remember the simple basics, cut back, and exercise, make a lifestyle change but never punish yourself, have a reward day, it's actually healthy to have an off day to give you motivation to keep it up.