The great weight lifting debate

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped putting down the girly fitness magazines and started lifting heavy, I saw the most progress in my body. You don't need to spend tons of time at the gym. I workout on my lunch break, 30 mins or so. Check out stronglifts 5x5, there's even a free phone app you can use to log your workouts. It's compound lifts so it works your whole body. 3 different lifts, 5 reps, 5 sets... that's all you need. You don't need to wait until you are closer to your goal weight. You should also check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Pretty much says that heavy lifting along with a good diet (i.e. TDEE less 20% with enough protein) will burn body fat, with or without cardio.

Thank you for 1) actually reading my question, 2) making a clear response 3) adding your personal experience and results. Most useful response so far. I know compund lifts have been mentioned before in a response I dismissed, but yours makes a lot more sense. Though, what it TDEE?

Total daily energy expenditure. Basically, an average of your total caloric needs, even with exercise. Calculating it that way means the amount of calories you have doesn't change based on whether you exercise, though it does require you to have a pretty set routine for a given calculation to work properly.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that this is a troll thread.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped putting down the girly fitness magazines and started lifting heavy, I saw the most progress in my body. You don't need to spend tons of time at the gym. I workout on my lunch break, 30 mins or so. Check out stronglifts 5x5, there's even a free phone app you can use to log your workouts. It's compound lifts so it works your whole body. 3 different lifts, 5 reps, 5 sets... that's all you need. You don't need to wait until you are closer to your goal weight. You should also check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Pretty much says that heavy lifting along with a good diet (i.e. TDEE less 20% with enough protein) will burn body fat, with or without cardio.

Thank you for 1) actually reading my question, 2) making a clear response 3) adding your personal experience and results. Most useful response so far. I know compund lifts have been mentioned before in a response I dismissed, but yours makes a lot more sense. Though, what it TDEE?

Here are some links that may help you with TDEE and lifting.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I started the Stronglifts program 8 weeks ago. I've lost inches everywhere. The scale hasn't moved - because muscles retain water to repair, so expect for the number not to move. It's better to take your measurements and progress photos and go from there.

I'm 5'5" do SL 3x a week, I eat 2000 calories a day (that's a fixed amount I do not eat exercise calories back). I lost 2" in my right leg alone. I fell in love with lifting the minute I picked up a barbell.

What also helped me, was at first I only focused on the SL program. I didn't do any extra (other than make sure I got 5 miles walked a day - not necessarily all at once, just wanted to get my steps in). After about 3-4 weeks I did start adding some cardio. Listen to your body and let it guide you as to what you should do. A foam roller has helped me with DOMS I was experiencing more in the beginning.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I personally put no exercise (since I have a desk job and my workouts can be a bit sporadic) to calculate my TDEE and subtract 20% (can also do -10%). I set my MFP to that amount (macros at 40 carb/30 fat/30 protein) and eat back my exercise calories.
  • MOMXW
    MOMXW Posts: 41
    Options

You shouldn't focus on losing weight, you should focus on losing fat. Eat at a calorie deficit and lift heavy three times a week. You don't have to or need to do cardio to lose weight. Or lose body fat. You can use cardio to create a bigger calorie defect if you want to eat more though. Do a couple of cardio sessions a week with the lifting and you'll be fine.

Just my opinion.

Sorry, not weight, I meant fat (saying losing weight I guess is incorrect).

This makes more sens than similar previous comments.

I like my food so keeping the cardio is probably why cardio works for me.

In regards to losing fat, this can primarily be done by lifting? I would have thought it was important to make sure that you increased the heart rate on a regular basis through cardio. Would lifting heavy for the same duration as cardio work or is it a question of more patience?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You shouldn't focus on losing weight, you should focus on losing fat. Eat at a calorie deficit and lift heavy three times a week. You don't have to or need to do cardio to lose weight. Or lose body fat. You can use cardio to create a bigger calorie defect if you want to eat more though. Do a couple of cardio sessions a week with the lifting and you'll be fine.

Just my opinion.

In regards to losing fat, this can primarily be done by lifting? I would have thought it was important to make sure that you increased the heart rate on a regular basis through cardio. Would lifting heavy for the same duration as cardio work or is it a question of more patience?

Change in weight comes from the energy imbalance (calories). Resistance training helps to maintain existing muscle mass so that the weight that is lost (from the energy deficit) comes primarily from stored fat.

Cardio increases energy expenditure.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    That work out is for a mesomorph, not an endomorph like me. I am obese, limiting the amount of cardio I do is not recommended. That is weight loss 101.

I have a body type that easily gains weight then cardio everyday is essential. If you are going to give standard advise that is not taking into account my body type, then I appreciate your time but it is not advice that is useful.

This is 100% incorrect. Endomorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph - all that nonsense (that was defined by a psychologist) has been debunked. The information you have been given in this thread is correct. As Yoda once said, "you must unlearn what you have learned." The reason you felt like you weren't getting enough out of your workout is because, unfortunately, you don't know what you're doing. Follow the advice you've been given, and you'll succeed.

Actually what I said was:
    I don’t feel like I get much out of lifting light weights 5kg and under)

My work out then indicates that I actually lift a lot more that 5kg.

Please can you re read and revise your statement so it takes into account of what I actually said and not what you thought I said. It kind of makes it look like you don't know what your talking about. Thanks :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Just my opinion.

You can lose fat with 0 cardio, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight, most from fat, but even more from fat if you lift heavy. Cardio is optional and will allow you to eat more, not lose more.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I am pretty sure that this is a troll thread.

+1 :yawn:
  • MOMXW
    Options
    You seem really defensive about getting advice. Why did you ask for it?

I think what they meant by "easy peasy" is "don't stress." Lots of people have used those popular programs with success, so I'm guessing they're saying pick a popular program that is popular for a reason.

I lost my weight doing cardio and heavy weights both. I ate about 1800 calories per day. Visually, I started out about where you are.

P.S. I also believe in body types. Arnold is a mesomorph. I don't care if other people don't believe in them. meh.

Maybe I am being defensive, but really saying easy peasy to someone who is asking for advise on something they are clearly struggling with can (intentionally or not) be seen as patronisting. Your interpretation is different from mine as you do seem to be at your goal. When you were heavier, if someone said, just do this it is easy peasy and you did not see it as patronising then you are a better woman than I!

In any event, the advise that you are giving is relevant, so moving on: did your 1800 take into account burned calories or is that just what you stuck to irrespective of how much exercise you did? And in relation to heavy lifting do you mean as much as you can carry comfortably or like what some else mentioned (which was useful) to the pint that the last rep is a fight.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    OP You have some extremely knowledgeable people on your thread giving you good, relevant advice. My recommendation would be to listen to them. They know what they're talking about.

Don't get upset with the desired results you didn't get from doing the wrong kind of work.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I think what they meant by "easy peasy" is "don't stress." Lots of people have used those popular programs with success, so I'm guessing they're saying pick a popular program that is popular for a reason.

I lost my weight doing cardio and heavy weights both. I ate about 1800 calories per day. Visually, I started out about where you are.

P.S. I also believe in body types. Arnold is a mesomorph. I don't care if other people don't believe in them. meh.

Maybe I am being defensive, but really saying easy peasy to someone who is asking for advise on something they are clearly struggling with can (intentionally or not) be seen as patronisting. Your interpretation is different from mine as you do seem to be at your goal. When you were heavier, if someone said, just do this it is easy peasy and you did not see it as patronising then you are a better woman than I!

In any event, the advise that you are giving is relevant, so moving on: did your 1800 take into account burned calories or is that just what you stuck to irrespective of how much exercise you did? And in relation to heavy lifting do you mean as much as you can carry comfortably or like what some else mentioned (which was useful) to the pint that the last rep is a fight.

I guess the proper wording should have been, "it is simple, not easy."
  • MOMXW
    Options

^^^ QFT. Due to my working hours, the vast majority of my strength training workouts are 20-25 minutes. 45 minutes will be MORE than adequate to get serious results. Compound/full-body movements ARE more effective; even the frou-frou girly magazines will tell you that doing full-body movements will give you more bang for your buck than isolation movements.

From my early research of compound movements, other than arm day (which I will admit to myself is the cop out day ihn my work out) it looks like a lot of the exercises I do are mostly compound: squats, lunges, deadlifts. I will need to look into it more.

Again, it seems with a lot of the advice it is the way it is being presented. I guess some folk are just better at providing advise than others.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    then I had an operation and gained 11kg back (108.8kg some of this I think is muscle as I stated lifting heavier weights after my operation and my bum is a lot firmer).

No sorry gaining muscle for a woman who is eating at a deficet it very difficult... esp 22lbs of it...
    Question: I have an hourglass figure (47, 37,46), I have read that I should not lift weights until I have burned the required excess body mass, but I have also read that an increase in muscle makes it easier to burn the away unwanted body mass.
    This is primarily a question for those who are familiar with weight loss and the hourglass figure, do I lift weights or not?
    Lifting should be done as soon as you start eating at a deficit...to preserve muscle mass as it is so hard to build.
    Here’s the background to my current work out plan:

So far I am on the 1,200 plan ( I have a wheat intollorance so I mainly get my carbs from fruit, veg, rice and sweet potato)
    way to little food...

Monday - leg day: 20 minutes cross trainer (I have knee issues so I cannot run) 4 x 10 second hold dead lift 85kg, 3x10 sets 45kg ballet squats, 3x10 45kg hip lifts, 3x10 10 kg lunges

Tuesday - cardio: 40 minutes cross trainer 4 x 10 second dead lifts at 85 kg

Wednesday - 'rest' day: 60 minutes swimming or 60 minutes brisk walking

Thursday – arms: 20 minutes cross trainer,3x10 chest press 10kg, 3x10 triceps curl, 3x10 pull downs, 4 x 10 second hold dead lift 85kg

Friday – Cardio Tuesday - cardio: 40 minutes cross trainer 4 x 10 second dead lifts at 85 kg

Saturday – 30 - 40 minute brisk walk

Sunday – rest day

I don’t feel like I get much out of lifting light weights 5kg and under), and it did seem that when I increased my reps but reduced the weights it did not feel like I was having enough of a work out. I have also read that it is a myth that more reps and light weights help you tone better than more weights and less reps.
    Basically, I need advice from someone (or someone who has worked with someone) that has a similar structure to me so I can use that to make adjustments.

Thanks

Simplify...choose a program such as Strong lifts or Starting strength and do your lifting 3x a week.

easy peasy.

1) Not trying to gain muscle, trying to lose weight is my primary goal

2) In order to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit: eat less move more

3) again, you are giving me standard information and not information that is useful

4) Your comment that it is 'easy peasy' is patronising. If it was 'Easy peasy' why would I be seeking advice?

1) you said you thought some of the 11kg gained was muscle...it was not.
    2) Yes i know how to lose weight, hence my comment about maintaining muscle mass as it is hard to gain back once you lost it. Which you will if you don't eat enough protien and do a heavy lifting program or some for of resistence training.
    3) If you looked at the information being reference you would see how useful it is
    4)my comment easy peasy means that the programs I mentioned are a lot less complicated than what you are doing now.

I have personally been lifting for 10 months, on MFP for 1 year and have lost over 50lbs in 18months. I have lost a total of 21 inches doing heavy lifting and resistence training.

If you want to lose the fat, maintain your muscle and lose inches research the programs mentioned, find which one suits you best or something similar and follow it and eat enough food to keep you from feeling like crap...and net 1200 is not the amount when you are heavy lifting.

All through my time hear I have eaten 1600-1800 calories a day and lost consistent weight. 1500 calories if logged correctly and accurately is not going to make you gain weight.

Buy a kitchen scale, weight your solids, measure your liquids and choose correct entries, lift heavy, eat your protien.

edited cause I wear tinfoil today.
  • MOMXW
    Options

Body part splits were invented in the steroid era of bodybuilding. Before steroids came around everyone did total body. When you are on steroids your body has massively increased protein synthesis post workout. You can hit arms on Monday and they are still benefiting from the workout on Friday. A natural (someone not on drugs) does not have that kind of result. If you hit arms on Monday they are about done benefiting by Wednesday. Natural lifters should try and hit all body parts 2-3 times a week. Doing either total body 3x a week or an upper/lower split 4 days a week is ideal. For anyone who isn't lifting intermediate level weights, total body 3x a week is best. There is a reason every single decent beginners program is total body 3x a week, they just flat out work better.

Thanks, very useful and put forward well.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I still have a good 80 pounds or so to lose, and losing what I've already lost has been a battle (thanks to medical issues that hinder things). I didn't interpret it as patronizing, but more as "it doesn't have to be hard or take forever to do, you're overthinking it." That said, I can understand how you'd be more likely to jump on the defensive, because it's you who are currently struggling and are frustrated.

When it comes to lifting, "heavy" is defined as "enough that the last few reps in your last set is difficult, and you might sometimes completely fail to lift it."

Don't think about that too much right now, though. Go grab one of the beginner programs. They usually start you off light, in part so that you can learn good form, and increase the weight at regular intervals (as much as every workout session). You'll very soon find where your "heavy" is at, and at that point, you'll start making progress.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

^^^ QFT. Due to my working hours, the vast majority of my strength training workouts are 20-25 minutes. 45 minutes will be MORE than adequate to get serious results. Compound/full-body movements ARE more effective; even the frou-frou girly magazines will tell you that doing full-body movements will give you more bang for your buck than isolation movements.

From my early research of compound movements, other than arm day (which I will admit to myself is the cop out day ihn my work out) it looks like a lot of the exercises I do are mostly compound: squats, lunges, deadlifts. I will need to look into it more.

Again, it seems with a lot of the advice it is the way it is being presented. I guess some folk are just better at providing advise than others.

And I guess some people are better at receiving advice than others :brokenheart:

On a side not, drop the fad net calorie diet you are on.

If you gained weight while netting 1400-1600 calories (given your height, weight, and age) then you seriously miscaluclated what you ate.

Go to Scoobys Workshop site and plug in your number to get yoru BMR and TDEE

Also, weigh your food.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    I have been doing research on this myself, and I have found, and have been told by my helpful MFP community that a balance of both cardio and heavy lifting is a must. But I really want to note your calories are too low. Do some reading on TDEE and BMR you might want to bring your calorie range up to your TDEE - 10 or 20% - and make sure your getting protein to help repair your muscles. Even on your lift rest days and just cardio days.

Good luck

Okay, so TDEE has been added to my list of stuff to look up, that is the second mention of it. Again, I generally eat more than 1,200 calories (more like 1500+ depending on how much working out I have done, and I am allergic to wheat so my diet is high protein anyway in order to fill up.)

The initial question of, should I lift heavy does seem to have been answered (yes, I should), though other issues/questions have been raised. There are similar responses but I think some folk are not really made for forum advice as some things I have written seem to be causing offence or indication over sensitivity where there is none.

I have also read that that right type of carbohydrate: sweet potato, veg carbs & some rice, is important for muscle repair (I have previously only seen it as a belly filler).

Which is correct?