If Nickelback sucks so bad...

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    BTW...

nickelcage-1-500x375.jpg
  • They do their thing well, and sell it well also. So props for that. I just don't like the thing that they do. I really distaste mainstream modern rock for the most part. It's all so similar, especially vocally, and extremely uninteresting musically. I know your average joe doesn't listen to music as art, but I just like something deeper. If not musically, lyrically. But that kind of stuff scares away a lot of people. Simplicity doesn't necessarily bother me, but there's got to be something more than just that.

Anybody ever watch the parody "Shreds" videos? Check out "Nickelback Shreds"

http://youtu.be/FuGW4_V0sbQ
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    nickelback.gif

God, I hate this *kitten*.

I always thought it was hysterical that in an anti-gay ad, he was wearing the jacket from Brokeback Mountain.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    They do their thing well, and sell it well also. So props for that. I just don't like the thing that they do. I really distaste mainstream modern rock for the most part. It's all so similar, especially vocally, and extremely uninteresting musically. I know your average joe doesn't listen to music as art, but I just like something deeper. If not musically, lyrically. But that kind of stuff scares away a lot of people. Simplicity doesn't necessarily bother me, but there's got to be something more than just that.

Oh my God I am crying right now!!
  • jasonmh630
    They do their thing well, and sell it well also. So props for that. I just don't like the thing that they do. I really distaste mainstream modern rock for the most part. It's all so similar, especially vocally, and extremely uninteresting musically. I know your average joe doesn't listen to music as art, but I just like something deeper. If not musically, lyrically. But that kind of stuff scares away a lot of people. Simplicity doesn't necessarily bother me, but there's got to be something more than just that.

THIS. IS. BRILLIANT.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    I'm about 4 seconds into the "Creed Shreds" video and can not control myself, about to piss my pants

Oh God https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms61I54CeQA
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    NIckelback and rock should never be used in the same sentence.

Nickelback ROCKS! I reference "Breathe.'

Come at me, bro. :-P
    Rock is anti-establishment and against the grain. Nickleback is the establishment........and the sandpaper

No. Metal and punk are anti-establishment. Rock is bigger than that. Rock embodies all that is fun, sex, drugs, partying, etc.

Rock is about a rhythm, a beat, and that feeling you get when you hear it. It *can* be political, but it does not have to be. It can be angry, naughty, or just fun.

FYI - rock went full-blown mainstream in the 80s. I have bands in every decade that I enjoy. I listen to all kinds of rock. I love them all for different reasons. Nickelback, in particular, holds a special place in my heart, along with Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd, Dead Kennedys, and Bruce Springsteen. So many memories and so many emotions are tied-in to each of them.

Nickelback isn't my favorite band, but they rock. They are my go to band for a lot occasions. I have about a dozen of their songs on my playlist. With the exception of Eminem and a couple of hip hop songs, rock is the only genre that is in my library. I can appreciate most music, but rock is where it's at, cat.
  • WendyTerry420
    Well, it's midnight, damn right, we're wound up too tight
    I've got a fist full of whiskey, the bottle just bit me
    Oh, that *kitten* makes me bat-*kitten* crazy
    We've got no fear, no doubt, all-in, balls out

We're going off tonight to kick out every light
    Take anything we want, drink everything in sight
    We're going 'til the world stops turning
    While we burn it to the ground tonight

We're screaming like demons, swinging from the ceiling
    I got a fist full of fifties, tequila just hit me
    Oh, we got no class, no taste, no shirt, and *kitten* faced
    We got 'em lined up, shot down, firing back straight crown

NOW, WHO HASN'T IDENTIFIED WITH THAT, AT LEAST ONCE IN THEIR LIFE??!!!

Yep, except for me, it's tequila.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Dear Nickelback haters, I owe my life to Nickelback, I was in a coma for 9 years after a terrible car crash. One day my nurse turned the radio to a Nickelback song. So I got up, and turned the radio off.
  • jasonmh630
    Dear Nickelback haters, I owe my life to Nickelback, I was in a coma for 9 years after a terrible car crash. One day my nurse turned the radio to a Nickelback song. So I got up, and turned the radio off.

Well done. ;)
  • Yeah, the shreds vids are so amazing!

This is a jimi hendrix one, watch where he starts picking with his teeth at 1:30!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOJy_CBocY
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    It goes far beyond airtime.

They're one of the most commercially successful bands in Canadian history with 50 million albums sold worldwide. That's a real number, Google it. Fifty million albums sold ranking them the 11th best selling band and ranked second as the best selling "foreign" band in the US. Who was #1? The Beatles.

They had 4 albums listed on Billboards top albums of the decade which gave them the coveted title of "The best rock group of the decade" by Billboard.

They've had countless albums top the charts in the both the US and Canada and they've won like 10+ Juno awards.

I'm not even a fan of Nickelback either way, I'm impartial but the hate they get is just dumb. If you can't gauge the success of a band via the album sales which equates to people enjoying their music, then what metric would you use?

and shockingly despite all this- very few people can sing an ACTUAL song of theirs. Sure they might remember the theme (the photograph one- something about sex- you and me) but singing an actual song? few people can acutally just break out in nickleback..

why?

because all their stuff sounds the same- and it's generic and vanilla as hell.

I do not hate them- some of their stuff I actually like- but like hell I could actually hum a few bars or sing the songs LOL- nothing memorable about them at all.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

They're one of the most commercially successful bands in Canadian history with 50 million albums sold worldwide. That's a real number, Google it. Fifty million albums sold ranking them the 11th best selling band and ranked second as the best selling "foreign" band in the US. Who was #1? The Beatles.

They had 4 albums listed on Billboards top albums of the decade which gave them the coveted title of "The best rock group of the decade" by Billboard.

They've had countless albums top the charts in the both the US and Canada and they've won like 10+ Juno awards.

I'm not even a fan of Nickelback either way, I'm impartial but the hate they get is just dumb. If you can't gauge the success of a band via the album sales which equates to people enjoying their music, then what metric would you use?

Just because McDonald's sells a billion hamburgers doesn't mean they taste better than In n Out or Five Guys. It means they are cheaper, mass-marketed, and unavoidable.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    just remember this..Nickelback is better than 99.9% (****, 100%) of what is on mainstream top 40. So maybe in the rock genre they arent the best, but at least theyre carrying the flag in a time when rock doesnt get its due.
  • WendyTerry420

and shockingly despite all this- very few people can sing an ACTUAL song of theirs. Sure they might remember the theme (the photograph one- something about sex- you and me) but singing an actual song? few people can acutally just break out in nickleback..

why?

I do not hate them- some of their stuff I actually like- but like hell I could actually hum a few bars or sing the songs LOL- nothing memorable about them at all.

People who claim "all their stuff sounds the same" clearly have NOT actually listened to ALL their stuff. :smokin:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

Just because McDonald's sells a billion hamburgers doesn't mean they taste better than In n Out or Five Guys. It means they are cheaper, mass-marketed, and unavoidable.

if they're crap, and they sell a lot and still make a lot of money, doesn't this make them pretty smart. Is being more popular/visible by playing similar music not worth it to another artist?
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130

why?

That's the way most songs are now days though, and they got you humming a few bars, so they "succeeded". They are OK, some good, some blah to me, all pretty much low class songs that can be fun. At least they aren't like Justin Beaver or that blonde haired girl who likes to show her butt and swinging around nekkid on construction equipment trying to look sexy.
  • temptingbiter
    temptingbiter Posts: 21 Member
    I don't get why people hate them so much. Some of they're music is pretty hot.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    just remember this..Nickelback is better than 99.9% (****, 100%) of what is on mainstream top 40. So maybe in the rock genre they arent the best, but at least theyre carrying the flag in a time when rock doesnt get its due.

no...no they arent
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

if they're crap, and they sell a lot and still make a lot of money, doesn't this make them pretty smart. Is being more popular/visible by playing similar music not worth it to another artist?

If McDonald's and In n Out were right next door to each other and all other things similar (price, speed, etc) except the quality of the burger, where would people go?

Sure their record label is smart. They foisted this Canadian nonsense on millions of Americans and are laughing all the way to the bank. It worked with Bieber and Ted Cruz too. Doesn't mean it's worth a darn in all three cases.