Why Aspartame IS scary!

Options

Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Thanks .. someone pass the Diet Pepsi please. Couldn't care .. more for me. ;-)

Oh noes I had my two Diet Cokes today.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want to call it, there's a lot of evidence to support it's relationship to brain tumors.
    I think any sweetener made in a chemistry lab is suspect anyways...if I need a sweetener I'll take honey. The calories are as real as the sweetener.

lol
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want to call it, there's a lot of evidence to support it's relationship to brain tumors.
    I think any sweetener made in a chemistry lab is suspect anyways...if I need a sweetener I'll take honey. The calories are as real as the sweetener.
    I don't think there is actually any evidence of this.
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    Sigh.

Here's a pretty thorough debunking by David Hattan, Ph. D, Acting Director of the Division of Health Effects Evaluation in the United States Food & Drug Administration (USFDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    OP out of curiosity how do you think insulin is produced for the treatment of diabetics. How about you look that up and post it here. Ill give you a hint it involves e.coli "pooping" and has saved countless lives.

I know things you aren't familiar with can be scary but honestly man there is absolutely nothing wrong with using e.coli for manufacturing.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Im reading this as I am drinking a nice ice cold diet pepsi, and it's soooooo good with all that aspartame in it, and IDGIF LOL
    :drinker: Sipping on my poo-filled Diet Dr Pepper here. *glass clink*
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I tell my High-school students that alcohol is bacteria piss all the damn time, never seems to stop them from using it though.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Thank you by the way OP for providing exactly the sort of laughable reactionary overly emotionalized unstudied and un thought out responses to aspartame that inspired my post in the first place.

By the way dont look now but without the e.coli living in your gut you'd likely die if malnutrition.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    Escherichia coli (/ˌɛʃɨˈrɪkiə ˈkoʊlaɪ/;[1] commonly abbreviated E. coli) is a gram-negative, facultatively anaerobic, rod-shaped bacterium of the genus Escherichia that is commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms (endotherms).[2] Most E. coli strains are harmless, but some serotypes can cause serious food poisoning in their hosts, and are occasionally responsible for product recalls due to food contamination.[3][4]

The harmless strains are part of the normal flora of the gut, and can benefit their hosts by producing vitamin K2,[5] and preventing colonization of the intestine with pathogenic bacteria.[6][7]
    E. coli and other facultative anaerobes constitute about 0.1% of gut flora,[8] and fecal–oral transmission is the major route through which pathogenic strains of the bacterium cause disease. Cells are able to survive outside the body for a limited amount of time, which makes them ideal indicator organisms to test environmental samples for fecal contamination.[9][10] There is, however, a growing body of research that has examined environmentally persistent E. coli which can survive for extended periods outside of the host.[11]

The bacterium can be grown easily and inexpensively in a laboratory setting, and has been intensively investigated for over 60 years. E. coli is the most widely studied prokaryotic model organism, and an important species in the fields of biotechnology and microbiology, where it has served as the host organism for the majority of work with recombinant DNA. Under favourable conditions it takes only 20 minutes to reproduce.[12]
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Im reading this as I am drinking a nice ice cold diet pepsi, and it's soooooo good with all that aspartame in it, and IDGIF LOL

+1

Lol!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    -5/10, not half as good as the original.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank you by the way OP for providing exactly the sort of laughable reactionary overly emotionalized unstudied and un thought out responses to aspartame that inspired my post in the first place.

By the way dont look now but without the e.coli living in your gut you'd likely die if malnutrition.

Does this make killing off my gut flora a viable weight loss technique? :wink:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Nice to see fear mongering among the food haters is still alive and well. Next they'll be saying peanuts cause cancer or that milk makes you a cereal killer.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Does this make killing off my gut flora a viable weight loss technique? :wink:

Dammit, I keep trying to sell this. It's MY idea. No one gets to stealz it!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1164468-new-weight-loss-miracle-eat-my-poo?hl=eat+my+poo#posts-18200109
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Poop is delicious, then.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Seriously though I encorage people to google "how insulin is made". It is the exact same process OP is fear-mongering. You know, insulin...that treatment for diabetics that saves countless lives and was made affordable and available by the process OP is currently demonizing and laughably refering to as fecal matter.

If this common manufacturing techique legitimately bothers you and you have questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Oh no, scary buzzwords. I'm so frightened!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when people freak out that some fast food chicken *might* be made from just smushing the meat, bones, and blood together. Like so what? Do you realize how many cultures utilize EVERY single part of the animal? They think we're stupid and wasteful for only using certain parts. And to tell you the truth, I agree.

GIMME DA E COLI POOP!

OMG. Did you see the post about the guy who was discussing cooking with blood? People freaked the heck out. Maybe if we learned to use everything that nature can give us we would have less issues with lack of food. There are proteins out there if we would just USE them that are healthy and cheap. Yet we don't do it because eating insects is "bad".
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OP do you picture bacteria as tiny little animals with mouths and rectums like we have?
    2qtl8n6.jpg
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    stare-o.gif

Hands down the best GIF ever.