What is the oldest age you would ever go for in a partner?

Options

Replies

• WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and in a long-term relationship with someone 9 months younger than myself. Though, before this relationship, I had a 5-year rule; I wouldn't date someone 5+ years older or 5+ years younger than myself.

I think the older you get, the less you care about age, within legal limitations though, of course.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I know just the guy for you, OP
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In my 20's, dated women 16, 11, and 8 years older, respectively... married a woman my age... should'a stuck with the older women. :noway:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    2 years in either direction. All my ex boyfriends are 1-2 years younger than me, my husband is 1 year older. He's the only person I've been with that's older than me. I like the young en's lol
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The way the title is worded, and considering I have no idea how old I may get to be and how long my wife may live, I'm going with infinity...
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My husband is 22 years my senior. We met when I was 19, got married when I was 21. His daughter is about 6 and a half months younger than I am.

That said, he was never in a position of authority over me. If you think there is potential for something with your professor, then you should make it clear that nothing can/should happen until such time as he is no longer your instructor. Period. If it is genuine interest, and he's a smart person, then he'd recognize the danger in getting involved with one of his students, and would be happy to wait.

Also, if you did start dating after getting out of his class, do not take any other classes with him as your instructor. Take alternate classes, or, if the class is required and he's the only teacher, go to the administration with him, and disclose the relationship and see if there are any options (perhaps all assignments graded by a TA.)

You want to avoid the appearance of impropriety, not just avoid improper actions themselves. I am quite familiar with this, as I used to work in the student loan industry. My sister-in-law worked for a university who happened to use the company I worked for. On the rare occasions that I received transactions for that school, I would notify my team leader and/or supervisor, and they would assign the batch of transactions to another team member.

Full disclosure is the ideal here. Wait, and notify ethics committees. Sometimes kismet happens. But if you want to protect your reputations, and job/student status, then you act appropriately and make sure your ducks are in a row before you do anything that could remotely be considered inappropriate by anyone who sees you.
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I must be boring then because I will only date people 25-34 with my age right now.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My husband is 22 years my senior. We met when I was 19, got married when I was 21. His daughter is about 6 and a half months younger than I am.

That said, he was never in a position of authority over me. If you think there is potential for something with your professor, then you should make it clear that nothing can/should happen until such time as he is no longer your instructor. Period. If it is genuine interest, and he's a smart person, then he'd recognize the danger in getting involved with one of his students, and would be happy to wait.

Also, if you did start dating after getting out of his class, do not take any other classes with him as your instructor. Take alternate classes, or, if the class is required and he's the only teacher, go to the administration with him, and disclose the relationship and see if there are any options (perhaps all assignments graded by a TA.)

You want to avoid the appearance of impropriety, not just avoid improper actions themselves. I am quite familiar with this, as I used to work in the student loan industry. My sister-in-law worked for a university who happened to use the company I worked for. On the rare occasions that I received transactions for that school, I would notify my team leader and/or supervisor, and they would assign the batch of transactions to another team member.

Full disclosure is the ideal here. Wait, and notify ethics committees. Sometimes kismet happens. But if you want to protect your reputations, and job/student status, then you act appropriately and make sure your ducks are in a row before you do anything that could remotely be considered inappropriate by anyone who sees you.

I don't think I could have said it any better. One of my hubby's professors married one of his students, however they never dated while she was in his classes. They have been married now for at least 15 years. Juts play it by the rules.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    The older I get the more the limits move under me; I won't date a significantly younger guy! Absolutely not...with the older me, it's very relative.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've always been most attracted to men around 40, even when I was a teenager of 13/14. Yes, I know it's inappropriate for what is no more than a little kid to have an affair with a 40-year-old (and I never went there!) but I couldn't help it, I simply wasn't attracted to the immature jerks my age.

Things have only changed insofar as I'm now 48 - and still interested in around 40-year-olds. :)
    The youngest I would go is probably 35, but not much younger than that as I prefer mature men.
    The oldest is around 60, depending on how young/old they are inside.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Is no one going to comment on how inappropriate it is for a college professor to be hitting on his student?

Agreed.
    As for the age, I dont think big age differences make for good long term relationships, though there can be exceptions, I think there is just too much conflicting in life goals. I would say 5 years either side is more than enough for the long term. If youre just in it for casual whatever then go crazy, but not with your professor.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have always liked guys close to my age best and generally prefer a bit younger before a bit older. My husband is 5 years younger than I am, and previously I was married to someone else who was 3 years younger. Almost every guy I've ever dated has been within 5 years of my own age.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it would matter. Age isn't everything.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Completely inappropriate and he sounds like a charming predator of a professor. I'd wager you're not the first 19 year old he's "liked". I agree that as we age the years can matter less, but at 19 I think anyone over 30 is probably more attracted to the youth than to the person. Why chooise to invest your energy, your emotions, or perhaps even your heart to someone you obviously have a limited future with. Sad truth is that we age exponentially, so someone 50 is aging at a much faster rate than someone 19...and it just goes continues to speed up. Your professor has one foot on a slippery slope wether you or he admit it. No offense to all of us older folks who think young, but time does catch us all.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me as long as I was attracted to them emotionaly and physicaly....it really wouldn't matter their age one way or the other. Although I'm 28 and married so not really something I worry about anymore ;-).
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Maybe 10 yrs
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Crap I meant to say university, not college (UK).
    I wasn't aware there were any rules about professor student relationships cause legally I'm an adult? I'd never go with my professor to make my grades better though, I'd much rather work hard and earn it myself.

As for the professor, he doesn't seem like a creep, honestly. I've met old guys who hit on me and obviously just want to have sex, but he really isn't like that. He's really polite and gives a lot of compliments and although he has expressed his feelings for me i don't feel forced into it and he'd never do anying I didnt want I dont think. I admit I do kind of like him. Sorry guys, I just hope I didn't make him sound bad!

I'll be 61 on Monday. My husband is 2.33 years younger. I never thought I'd be involved with a younger man, ever, but the sparks flew the first time I laid eyes on him. I don't think I'd go for a man who was more than 5-6 years younger or older than I am. We just wouldn't have enough in common. Besides, when someone is that much (and more) older than you are, you may turn into their nursemaid down the road. When your professor turns 70, you'll only be 39. That may seem really old to you right now. Trust me, it's not. You'll be in the prime of your life, ready to party, and he'll be wanting to sit in front of the TV.

About the professor:

First of all, you must be having doubts about it or you wouldn't have asked our opinion.

Second, it's totally inappropriate for him to have a relationship with a student for the numerous reasons already stated by others. :noway:

Third, of course he's polite, compliments you, and doesn't sound like a creep. He's grooming you, sweetie, so he can get laid. :bigsmile:

Fourth, he's charming--and really good with the flattery--because he's grooming you and has likely done this before. :devil:

Fifth, I may be totally wrong about him--and I hope I am for your sake--but put him on the spot AFTER your class ends. Tell him you want him to meet your parents and see if he's willing to do this. :explode:

Good luck!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm 32. I'd be willing to go for a ten year boundary, up and down.
  • dinadeee
    dinadeee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Im 25 and as a rule.. give it 5 years down or 7 up