Two + Months in, not a pound gone

Options

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The fact you won't open your diary speaks volumes. You don't even need to say anything else. You know you eat too much, you know EXACTLY what the problem is. What it actually comes down to is that you don't actually want help, you either want attention/validation or you want to find an excuse that you can use to justify your weight. Maybe at first you wanted to lose weight but now you've reached a point where you're not losing weight eating the way you want so you want a reason to give up. Sorry not sorry.
    There is nothing else to the posts OP is making. Move on everyone.

Wow. That's compassionate. I always wonder if people like this live their lives like this or they just project this into the internet. Or if they've never suffered any hardships themselves. What a rough upbringing that must result in such lack of empathy. But, then again, when I was 22, I thought everything was black and white too.

She didn't even say anything that was harsh? It sounds pretty dead on actually haha. When someone asks for help and really wants it they will spend the time listening rather then arguing every time someone comes up with a suggestion. The OP could of been more open minded and also opened her diary. It seems she's very closed and even though it appears like she wants help, she's making excuses/shutting down every reply. She basically wants people to turn around and say "you can't lose weight you're doomed you may as well eat what you want" This is the vibe i get from it.

The reason i feel strongly about this is because my mother is very similar, she is large and wants to lose weight but when we all suggest things for her she turns around with constant "reasons" as to why we are incorrect. Some people just can't be helped.

^This. If she really wanted help, she'd open her diary and quit with the excuses. Being honest and not sugar-coating things isn't being harsh or rude IMO.
  • EbonyAries
    EbonyAries Posts: 19
    Options
    I have an answer, you are eating in your sleep. The end!
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Uh, doctors are people. They get into ruts. If you want a test done, by all means, ask your doctor to order it. If it's not crazy expensive they shouldn't have a problem with it. Geez...
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to do a Candidia test. Candidia is something that very few doctors, nutritionists, anyone ever thinks of but is the reason why a lot of people can not lose weight. I had the same problem, found out I had candidia, starting taking medicine and I have lost three pounds in three days!

Let's not start telling people to tell their doctors how to do their jobs.
    In response to this, btw.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Sleep eating?

Remember one episode of "House, MD" where a woman had sex with her ex(her neighbor as well) and got prego...but she refused to admit that was true....
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My sister used to sleep eat so it's not really all that far-fetched in my opinion. She ate almost an entire packet of my pinwheels once. I had one left when I woke up. She hasn't done it in awhile, but it does happen.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    With 186 pounds to lose, your metabolism is very messed up and it will take more than 2 months of eating the right amount and exercising to fix it properly. With that said, i didn't read through all the replies, you asked for help, so I don't understand why you won't open up your diary. We are here to help you....we can offer suggestions if we can see the whole picture.
  • cydulrich
    cydulrich Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My friend is a doctor, and she was very obese. She volunteered for a study where she went away with others to a clinic in AZ and they were put on a 500 calorie a day diet and did light workouts. She gained weight. Turned out she had a hormone imbalance that made her metabolism non-existent. She now is seeing a Chiropractor that specializes in weight loss. She has lost 22 pounds in 5 weeks. He keeps her on a strict diet that he designs for each patient himself. She goes to his office 3 times a week and they do a workout. She seems to like it, but says the diet is very boring and restricted.

I am reasonably confident that there is much more to this story than you are describing as gaining weight on 500 calories per day while exercising is physically impossible with the exception of water weight which any credible study on weight loss would measure.

The fact that a chiropractor was the eventual solution and that an educated person would consult one for weightloss leaves me baffled as well.

I don't think many physicians refer to their chiropractors for weight loss. That whole story is fishy.

No offense, but you people seem out of touch. Google it and you will find many threads explaining it to you. Chiropractic care is not the old fashioned business it use to be of just adjusting spines. They specialize in holistic medicine, massage therapy, helping the obese, even special diets and products. They also do sports medicine. It is an up and coming way to deal with obesity and poor nutrition choices. I am really amazed that some posters here are so hostile to any new ways of approaching weight loss. But more than that, why in the world would anyone come to this site and make up BS? It is not like this is some radical political chat room. :smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much it's that simple. The fact your not willing to open up your diary makes me think it really is not that accurate. Other than your calories sounding pretty high. You can deny that that's the problem and be convinced you have some medical problem if thats your worry go get checked out with a doctor but in all likelihood it will come down to you eating more than you burn. If you want specific advice about your food you will need to open up your diary. It's pretty pointless asking the forum for advice then only give us part of the information/

Good luck and if they've not been provided before look at the links

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My friend is a doctor, and she was very obese. She volunteered for a study where she went away with others to a clinic in AZ and they were put on a 500 calorie a day diet and did light workouts. She gained weight. Turned out she had a hormone imbalance that made her metabolism non-existent. She now is seeing a Chiropractor that specializes in weight loss. She has lost 22 pounds in 5 weeks. He keeps her on a strict diet that he designs for each patient himself. She goes to his office 3 times a week and they do a workout. She seems to like it, but says the diet is very boring and restricted.

I am reasonably confident that there is much more to this story than you are describing as gaining weight on 500 calories per day while exercising is physically impossible with the exception of water weight which any credible study on weight loss would measure.

The fact that a chiropractor was the eventual solution and that an educated person would consult one for weightloss leaves me baffled as well.

I don't think many physicians refer to their chiropractors for weight loss. That whole story is fishy.

No offense, but you people seem out of touch. Google it and you will find many threads explaining it to you. Chiropractic care is not the old fashioned business it use to be of just adjusting spines. They specialize in holistic medicine, massage therapy, helping the obese, even special diets and products. They also do sports medicine. It is an up and coming way to deal with obesity and poor nutrition choices. I am really amazed that some posters here are so hostile to any new ways of approaching weight loss. But more than that, why in the world would anyone come to this site and make up BS? It is not like this is some radical political chat room. :smile:
    Holistic medicine and massage therapy all the Science's then. ;-). Personally I'd rather stick with real Doctors and Science based Medicine
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    obese woman ~"I normally eat 1300 calories so it's not bad"

lol
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Got morbidly obese eating 1,300 calories a day!

snowflake.gif
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article on triathletes gaining weight on 900 calories a day and from protein shakes. It is becoming a common occurrence. Typically the average professional athlete eats a lot.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/performance-plate/If-Youre-Not-Eating-Enough-You-Might-Gain-Weight.html
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article on triathletes gaining weight on 900 calories a day and from protein shakes. It is becoming a common occurrence. Typically the average professional athlete eats a lot.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/performance-plate/If-Youre-Not-Eating-Enough-You-Might-Gain-Weight.html

I've seen a few of those case studies just like that.

The problem is usually the accuracy of the long term logging prior to getting help. Their goal might indeed have been 900 or 1200.
    But they didn't see anyone for the facts to be written up until many months later.
    But the people vaguely remember bingeing from time to time (as one could imagine).
    Each binge with suppressed maintenance level was actually excess calories, to be put on as fat. And the body in that state was going to hold on to that.

But it does go to show it's the amount of deficit that can reach levels that cause the body to go in to max adapt mode.

Here's another one.
    A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year, despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes were ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks, the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't think that opening up my diary will help at all. I started out only eating 1300 calories a day, that's what I naturally eat when I eat what I want and don't try to watch what I'm eating (including dessert). I track every bite by weighing with a food scale or measuring with measuring cups and spoons, I never estimate and I always record what I've eaten before I move from the table,so I don't forget anything. I am very serious and dedicated to my weight loss. I'm not an over eater and I'm not a person who thinks they can fudge the numbers and "no one will know." I measure, I weigh and I record.

The first thing my nutritionist did was start increasing my caloric intake. She looks as my app to see what I've eaten since our last meeting (every two weeks) and tells me where to adjust (more variety, more vegetables, less fat, etc). She worked me up slowly since 1300 is what I was comfortable eating and any more than that felt like over eating and that feels gross. So, now I'm up to 2500 calories a day (total, not net). I burn 2800 on a lazy day and 3000-3200 on most days, according to my BMF. I had a resting metabolic rate test done (the serious one with the cart, not the portable one that is prone to miscalculation) and it is 2345.

So, for me it is not as simple as caloric deficit = weightloss, unfortunately. If that were the case I would have had more than a 1,000 calorie deficit before I started and I am still carrying a deficit of 500 on most days.

Still no weightloss.

it will help bc it will flat out show if you are ummmmmmmmm not to be rude
    but, telling the truth or not about your calorie intake

its impossible if you are eating at a deficit for you to not have lost weight if you are eating healthy have no medical problems and have a trainer working out 5 days a week

so .. open the diary
    -__-
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Please see an endocrinologist. Doctors can and do miss thyroid issues. They and the dietitians will just keep repeating basic math to you like you're an idiot because they don't believe you when you tell them you didn't eat too much and did exercise. It gets frustrating and disheartening. Don't give up.

If you have a thyroid problem, an endocrinologist will find it. They've seen so many patients who kept gaining when they didn't over eat and did exercise. They know you tried and they know nobody believed you. It's a common tale in the endocrinologist's office. They believe you and they fix it. :)

Not everyone loses the weight, but a corrected thyroid problem (and finding the right dosage can take some time!) will make you like everyone else. If you diet and exercise, the weight will come off very quickly compared to what you're used to.

Don't get discouraged and give up before you see an endocrinologist. :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Holistic medicine and massage therapy all the Science's then. ;-). Personally I'd rather stick with real Doctors and Science based Medicine

You do realize that holistic medicine can also be practiced by "real Doctors" and be science based. There are quite a few MDs who practice either holistically or functionally -- and it's all science backed. Such terms are not mutually exclusive.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Please see an endocrinologist. Doctors can and do miss thyroid issues. They and the dietitians will just keep repeating basic math to you like you're an idiot because they don't believe you when you tell them you didn't eat too much and did exercise. It gets frustrating and disheartening. Don't give up.

If you have a thyroid problem, an endocrinologist will find it. They've seen so many patients who kept gaining when they didn't over eat and did exercise. They know you tried and they know nobody believed you. It's a common tale in the endocrinologist's office. They believe you and they fix it. :)

Not everyone loses the weight, but a corrected thyroid problem (and finding the right dosage can take some time!) will make you like everyone else. If you diet and exercise, the weight will come off very quickly compared to what you're used to.

Don't get discouraged and give up before you see an endocrinologist. :)

Not all endos are fabulous. Search out a practitioner, whether endo or otherwise, that focuses on BOTH clinical symptoms and test values. There certainly are some endos that just look to test values and are very rigid about it despite plenty of symptoms to the contrary -- or that they're focused on getting you "within range" rather than focusing on what is the best range for you personally (i.e. some need to be in the upper third of the normal range for T3/T4 values for hypo symptoms to subside -- still in the normal range, but in a more limited area of the normal range).