Helpless and Hopeless.

Options
How do I change my habits? I did good for the first couple weeks but I fell off (as I normally do). I have no sense of portion control. I tend to binge eat with instant remorse. I am a complete emotional eater...I always have been. I drink soda and I think I'm addicted lol I hate that girl looking back at me in the mirror!! It's starting to take a toll on me mentally and this is taking a toll on my relationships. I feel helpless and hopeless! Has anyone felt like this? How did you push yourself? What was your breaking point? Please help....I can't live like this anymore. I need to shed my "fat suit" Skinny Tonya is screaming inside!

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You're not helpless - you have to help yourself.

You should not be guessing portions - you should weigh everything you eat and measure all liquids. Drink soda if you want soda - just have a smaller meal if you're drinking regular soda.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Start with small changes- they feel less overwhelming at the time. I weigh and measure all of my food because my eyes always wants more than my stomach needs. you can do this =)
  • MalloryMelts
    MalloryMelts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You've gotta be completely honest with yourself! I know it's hard to do. But you have to. It took me a health scare back in 2010 to kick my butt in gear. But then I steered away from my goals again. You've just gotta keep moving forward. I end up losing track a lot, but you have to do better the next day! As long as you have that fight in you it will lead you where you need to be. I'm being more and more organized with my journal and my food diary. I've got a lot planned out. Sometimes pre planning my day is the best way to go. If you find yourself slacking like I do, find a quote that really sticks to you! I wrote it down and I keep it on my fridge and in the bathroom on the mirror. You can take baby steps until you see what works for you. I learn a lot everyday as to what I can and shouldn't eat. But most of all, you have to do it for you! Good Luck!!!!
  • sandralee78
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!! I have struggled all my life with my weight, and finally have got to the point that I need to do something about it. I won't lie, it's hard. Especially when the family goes to Dairy Queen and I just have to sit there and watch. But it's about me this time, too bad if there are no chips or cookies in the house. I found that I need to have those 100 calorie snack packs around, so when I get in a mood, there's something to grab that won't totally destroy my goals for the day. And up your fruit and veggies, basically can eat all the veggies you want. as for portion control, take what you're going to eat. no seconds. I find if I dish out the meal, then immediately pack up the rest and put it away, it's alot easier to say I'm done at the end of the meal. It's work to bring it all out again. Hope that helps, good luck !!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Breaking old habits, starting new ones, and changing the way you view food, portion sizes, etc. is all going to take time. You can't just wake up one day and change everything and expect it to stick.

I'm an emotional eater. It's taken me a long time to find alternate ways to channel those emotions into something other than food. And after a couple of years, I still catch myself reaching for food when I get really, really anxious. Look for other outlets. Journaling, coffee with friends, yoga, kickboxing, hot baths, painting, whatever it is that works for you to get your emotions into shape.

It helped me in the beginning to take it one day, even one hour at a time. I'm not going to overeat right now. I can wait an hour/day and see what happens tomorrow. Usually the urge to eat passes and I get busy with something else. Sometimes I give in and have a snack but keep it small and under control.

And stop thinking of things in terms of on the wagon or off the wagon. There's a whole spectrum between perfect dietary habits and horrible ones. Some days you're going to have off days. That doesn't mean you've failed unless it stops you from doing better the next day. Lifestyle changes take time. But they're worth the effort.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    First - and probably most importantly - realize that if you get to be "Skinny Tonya" you will probably still have the same emotional unhappiness and unhealthy relationships you do now. Being skinny isn't the magic pill to being happy - despite what those commericals on TV tell you.

About 2 - 3 years ago, I was big - like BIG at almost 70% BF. I was unhappy, grouchy all the time, fighting with my SO constantly and so on. But then we broke up and I had all this time on my hands to devote to me. And I did - one day at a time. This isn't about a 6 month, 8 month, 2 year project . . . it's the rest of your life to make these changes and they will not happen over night. Start with small things - like reducing your soda intake. My SO and I used to eat out 4 - 6 times/week. When I start this journey we were still broken up but when we started talking again and trying to work things out I made it very, unmistakedly clear that I do not eat that crap any more. I am not saying you shouldn't - but for me, it's my weakness and I had to cut it out of my life at first in order to stay on track. Slowly but surely I can eat out now without being thrown right back into it but it took 2 years to do that.

I work out at least 4, usually 5 days/week. I feel great when I'm done and remembering how great I felt last time is my motivation to get up the next morning and go. Bottom line, you have to want to do it. Do you want to be able to run a 5K? Power lift? Whatever your goals are, set one big one (whatever it may be for you) and then work backwards to set those little goals. In my experience setting one BIG goal is good, but not having little ones along the way makes that big one seem so much further away. Like one of my big goals is 20% BF, I am not there yet but I set goals to hit 50 and then 45 and then 40 and so on. It's also important to measure NSV such as having to buy smaller pants or being able to fit into jeans you previously couldn't or whatever.

It's not an easy journey, if you'd like to add me please feel free because I know what it's like but you definitely have to be happy and love you before, during and post-weight loss because being "skinny" won't make you happy!

Good Luck! :)
  • kd0226
    kd0226 Posts: 2
    Options
    going through same thing last year I lost 50 lbs I charged my eating to more healthy foods n went to gym 3 times a week I started feeling grat about myself until some stuff was said about me n I stopped caring n gave up all together last week I started working out at home this time I push myself to do at less a hour worth n trying to change my eating habits which I do sum I bing eat ill go all day without eating anything n then dinner I eat way to much n its only been a week I lost a lb wasn't uch n I feel everything im doing isn't going to go anywhere I feel like given up I need to loss 50 lbs n ill be happy with that but trying to keep myself on healthy deit not even a deit but healthy eating n keeping to work outs seems sooo hard n the scale is evil I want to go on it every day which I know wont show me any good answers got to keep at it
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I just hang out here and log even when I'm not feeling it.

Than sometimes I just totally snap into it.

I don't know.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Two things that have really helped me:

1. Small, frequent meals (vs. 3 large meals). By eating more frequently, I find I'm going into meals less hungry and have a lot more willpower to stay under control. I divide my calorie goal for the day into 5 and eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner (double meal) and evening snack. So I'm basically eating every 3 hours or so...

2. Eliminating all sugar (at least for a time). I found the more sugar I ate, the more sugar I wanted. I call it the sugar roller coaster. After 3 miserable days off sugar (headaches, moodiness, fatigue) I broke free and felt so much better. Now I can have some sugar in moderation but I'm still really careful with it.

For me personally, I avoid soda because I just can't make my numbers with those calories in the mix. Plus it fuels the sugar roller coaster. Now I drink unsweetened tea and lots of water.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    You need to find another way to deal with your emotional issues outside of food. Therapy, spirituality, exercising whatever you need to try to find a way to deal with those issues. It will be an uphill battle if you dont.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are 1,000 times over.... I feel for you, and just want to encourage you to keep trying. You have two options: give up.... and let your health continue to degrade over time. Or keep trying until the positive changes stick. Trust me.... if someone like me could make the changes permanent, than anyone can!!!

I still struggle with emotional eating, and certainly don't have all the answers. The thing I would encourage you to start with is just to log everything you eat. Even if you blow it and eat 1000 calories over your goal every day, just get used to logging. Studies show that just the act of logging causes people to lose weight, because they're more aware. You'll probably be surprised at how choosing to log everything may keep you from having that 4th piece of pizza, or eating late at night if you're already over your calories.

For me, logging consistently is where I started. And over time, I was able to gradually make more healthy choices and lose the weight.

Hang in there!!! You can do this!!
  • SemiP
    SemiP Posts: 2
    Options
    i feel the same way every time i dress to leave the house and my pants don't button. I have resorted to wearing leggings that way it fits and i don't feel like hiding in the house. My kid now refer to me as fat lady, i get depressed and start the old habit again. I don't have any support just friends who ask why am i getting fat... I usually start of well and then end up at square one and i think its making me gain more weight. I have joined here yesterday and i am hopeful that i can find people who understand what i'm going through. Hopeful i can motivate someone and find motivation myself.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    One of the things that has helped me tremendously has been to reduce my added sugar intake. It's one of the things I carefully track throughout the day.

This is not to say I NEVER eat sugar, because I do. I had a big breakfast on Sunday which was followed by a piece of Mississippi mud pie. lol But I did fit it into my diet that day and it works. On most days I watch my added sugar intake and it has helped to reduce my cravings for food overall.

I try to stay within or under the WHO recommended amount of 25 g per day. (This does not include the sugar which is found naturally in fruit, veggies or milk). This means looking at everything I buy and reading the labels.

But yeah, I used to be really good and then binge - usually on sugar-laden foods. But it has all but stopped since I started watching my sugar intake. I'm not saying it will solve your problem, because everyone is different, but it might be something to check out. Good luck to you.
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who have made an effort to kick out the sugar it will help your overall cravings and honestly, if emotional eating is your issue you need to really sit down and consider what your triggers are and avoid them if you cannot avoid them you need to learn some healthy alternatives to eating. easier said then done I realize, have you considered yoga?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's not about a breaking point. It's about finding a new point from which to launch yourself.

If you define yourself as helpless and hopeless, your mind will work its hardest to keep fulfilling those definitions.

Try defining yourself differently. That's when the magic happens.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I've never felt helpless or hopeless...but I have felt overwhelmed.

Do you feel overwhelmed and that feeling has you confused about where to start or how to renew?

If that's what is happening, pick one thing. Maybe it's increase your water. Or giving up that pop. Maybe it's taking a walk every day. Just pick one thing and do it regularly, until it becomes part of your routine.

Then pick something else.

You might pick something to try and find it isn't for you. That's ok - if it's not sustainable, you're probably going to give it up eventually anyway. Pick something else. Do that instead.

One thing at a time. At the end of a month, look at the changes and feel good.

And empowered.

And in control.

And full of hope.

You can do it...if you want to.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I've never felt helpless or hopeless...but I have felt overwhelmed.

Do you feel overwhelmed and that feeling has you confused about where to start or how to renew?

If that's what is happening, pick one thing. Maybe it's increase your water. Or giving up that pop. Maybe it's taking a walk every day. Just pick one thing and do it regularly, until it becomes part of your routine.

Then pick something else.

You might pick something to try and find it isn't for you. That's ok - if it's not sustainable, you're probably going to give it up eventually anyway. Pick something else. Do that instead.

One thing at a time. At the end of a month, look at the changes and feel good.

And empowered.

And in control.

And full of hope.

You can do it...if you want to.

This is fantastic! I completely agree! A while ago (like 10 months, maybe) I tried the couch to 5k program and let me tell you - running is not for me and I commend those who can do it. Then I tried spin with a friend and have been addicted ever since.

It's small changes over time that add up to big differences - besides, you've got the rest of your life, this is a lifestyle change NOT a diet. And, 80% or more of your success in weightloss will come from what you eat.
  • Dezire4lyfe
    Dezire4lyfe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through. The best way I deal with all of those feelings is by truly loving myself and appreciating everything I am as a woman. Once I began to love myself, it became a second nature to only want the best for myself which means a healthy lifestyle. Even by loving myself and being positive, I have started to go tired of toxic relationships and men and they are on the way out of my life next.

Also, I started a food journal and writing down everything I eat and how I feel when I am eating. So when my emotions get the best of me and I binge, I can later go back and see what I was feeling and what triggered the emotion. It truly helps to put a cap on it. I also found friends that I can talk to who pass no judgement... we go for walks and get spill all of our emotions. So we are getting a little exercise in and negative feelings out!

I am still a work in process but I believe that I am now fighting my own personal war with the best armor!! Good Luck! Feel free to write me if you just want to talk! I am a good listener.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You are not helpless unless you chose not to help yourself. I also think hoping for change is passive. Instead work for change and have faith (which is active) that the work you do will change you for the better.

All the best!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    emotional eating is what caused many of us to become overweight... you need to have veggie trays on hand at all times, make them yourself or buy them but have them ready to use when you are wanting to eat and know you shouldn't. Also sugar free/low calorie candies have them on hand... I use Werther's Original Sugar Free Caramel Chocolate... 5 pieces = 40 calories I put them out on my desk in the morning and that's all the goodies I can have that day... some days I don't even eat them anymore and I was a sugar freak!

Soda pop... OK I happen to rarely drink regular but even Zero's/Max/Diet are triggers and I use to drink a 2 liter of those a day!... so my rule is simple I cannot have any soda pop unless I am out getting a to-go meal. If I'm inside sitting I get a water. My soda pop at first I'd buy 1 - 2 liter bottle of soda pop and it had to last me 2 days, then 3 days then all week. At home I buy sparkling water, they come in all flavors and they give the feeling of drinking soda pop and studies have found sometimes that is all you are craving, the sparkle/bubbles. Those have now become something I rarely drink too, maybe a glass with dinner otherwise I stick to my plain water although I do add flavors often.

Don't beat yourself up, just take baby steps and remember you will find what works for YOU, we are all different and different things work great for one group and not for another, hence why there are so many diets out there, they work- just not for everyone.