Helpless and Hopeless.

Options

Replies

• TMNolan19
    TMNolan19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank You ALL so much! This is why I love MFP! So many encouraging people and so many ideas and motivation. YES!!! That is what it is....OVERWHELMING! My entire 33 years I have had these eating/exercise habits (or lack of). So it started very young and its all I've ever known. So I know what I want and I know I'm capable. I just don't know where to begin or what road to take or how to stay on that road. There are so many ideas and changes that I end up taking them all on at once and failing miserably. It doesn't help that my family turns their head at the idea of "diet" foods and healthy habits either. I don't expect it to be easy either. So, I will try to take it one day at a time. One change at a time and hopefully one pound at a time :) Thank you and please add me. I need all of the help I can get!
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh sweety its ok! that happens to the best of us! remember, ROMA WASN'T BUILD IN A DAY!! you are going to need time and LOTS OF PATIENCE! internet can be a good friend! there are trillions of tips to make a soft change on your habits that makes the process a lil less shocking, you love soda? ok then grab some sprinkilng water and frozen fruits and drink that! or orange juice and sprinkling water, there are ways, you just have to search for your own!
    again: PATIENCE AND CONSISTENCY ARE THE KEYS TO SUCCESS
  • 2balletgirl
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! For the past two years I've been eating healthy with the occasional treat for a week or two and then end up bingeing on sweets and refined carbs on the weekends. I tend to overeat when I am stressed or sad. Sometimes it helps to get some fresh air, or talk to family or friends in these situations before I turn to food, but not always. I would tell myself things like "it's ok to eat all this because I need to feel better" or "eating will help me to de-stress and relax." But after overeating I would feel so angry with myself, and I would end up being more stressed than I was before! Yet in a week I would do it all over again.

Overeating had become a habit, and that's all it is. Habits require time and repetition, so if you overeat once you're more likely to do it again, and if you stop yourself from overeating you're more likely to resist next time too.

Something that has really helped me is the BECK DIET SOLUTION. It's actually not a diet at all though. The Beck Solution is a a form of cognitive therapy and it targets the psychological aspect of losing weight. I have never read the book, but their blog and daily diet tips are extremely helpful to me. Here's the URL
    http://www.beckdietsolution.com/
    The blog is especially helpful because it follows other dieters who are struggling with the same thing. Some of the key concepts include learning to respond to "sabotaging" thoughts and giving yourself credit for good choices.

It might sound kind of different, but it's honestly the most helpful thing. I hope you find it helpful too, and good luck! :)

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger" - John F Kennedy
  • bollywoodtracie
    bollywoodtracie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really feel for what you're going through and I'm very sorry you feel that way. I have felt that way so much and most of my life have been an emotional eater too. It's a constant battle and you feel like you're in your own prison. I'm on my way though, to figuring things out in my head, which is helping with my emotional eating. I know all the the right things you're supposed to do--so much I could write a book--but my brain was never connecting with my heart. That is, until I got counseling and started talking things out, and keeping not only a food diary, but also a diary of my emotions and what was happening in my life. Until I started doing those things I kept hitting brick walls. Now I do have hope and I am able to see the value I have in myself. Maybe doing those things would help you, too. I hope so. :smile:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    First off, you need to correct all negative self-talk. When you think, "I'm helpless" IMMEDIATELY correct yourself: "No, I'm not helpless. I am powerful. I am going to eat all I want for my cheat meal on Saturday, and quell my temptation in this moment by taking a walk."

1. exercise every day- or at least 6 days/week, even if it is just walking
    2. track what you eat, all the time.
    3. positive self-talk only.
    4. remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. There is no reason to hurry, there are lots of reasons to take it slow.
    5. Cut yourself some slack and allow a cheat meal once per week to look forward to. That way you're not telling yourself "no," you are saying "not yet."

You are powerful enough to make better choices. You CAN do this. :flowerforyou:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    First off you need to discover a way to begin liking and loving yourself because the only way you are going to establish a long term healthy lifestyle is to believe the person you see staring back in the mirror deserves that kind of love and affection from you. AT that point you should be ready to take control of your life and begin accepting that, no one makes you feel anything but YOU... THAT the only person in your way.. IS YOU... there's no if, or buts... NO excuse, no barriers.. except for those you impose upon yourself... I can't.. will disappear from the dialogue going on between your ears... THEN you have ot learn to forgive... yourself... for NOT understanding this earlier in your life... and EVERYONE you thought was holding you back... the forgiveness part.. is probably the toughest thing toconfront because it is so much easier to pin your situation on someone else....

anyway... in a nut shell the world you see from behind your eyeballs, IS in fact the world you created for yourself... the only person out of the 7+Billion currently wandering this world capable of making the changes you want... stares back at you in every reflective surface you can find... learn to like that person.. then learn to love that person and there will be NOTHING stopping you from becoming who you want to be.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You're not hopeless unless you give up hope. You've already figured out the root of your problem: emotional eating. That's an accomplishment in itself. Now you need to figure out how to stop it. That's harder, because as others have pointed out, knowing the source of the problem doesn't automatically fix it, and even if you manage to break the link between emotional stress and food, the stress will still be there and you'll need to figure out another way to deal with it.

Logging your food is a great habit to adopt. Another one, though, is to ask yourself before every snack (and before taking seconds at meals): "Am I really hungry? Or am I eating for some other reason?" If it's for some other reason, wait a bit, and if you still want some, take as little as you need to be content.

I'd recommend checking out the latest book by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work (http://www.thedietfix.com). I don't necessarily agree with all of his advice (I don't need to eat a little every 3-4 hours), but it's one of the best weight-control books I've read. The advice to eat as few calories as you need to be content comes from him. See if your library has it. John Walker, The Hacker's Diet, is another good book (free online at http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). Walker focuses on weight loss and maintenance as a problem for engineering and management, not as a matter for guilt and shame.

And again, try to get help for the emotional side of things. If you successfully control your weight, your other challenges aren't going to go away. But succeeding at something that's very hard (losing weight and keeping it off) can give you the confidence and the tools to tackle other big challenges.

(Edited to fix broken underline tag.)
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Agree with most everything everyone else has intoned, going to throw my two cents out there as well.

Here is what has worked for me:

1. Taking it slow. I cut back 100 calories each week until I hit that -1000 mark. So it took me roughly 2 1/2 months to get there, but it made eating that way SO much easier for me. I think it allowed my stomach to gradually shrink down so I've never felt like I was starving this whole time.

2. I didn't give up anything I wasn't willing to never go back to, for me it was smoking and drinking regular soda. I don't do those things anymore. I never plan on doing so again. I still eat my favorite foods, but I make sure that if it's going out to eat I try to order half portions and avoid things I know are unhealthy, I ask for things prepared healthier - most restaurants don't have a problem doing this, (like no salt, or could they just put the toppings on the side) especially if you just tell them it's an allergy thing, lol.

3. I log everything. Cooking at home has been way easier for me, because it allows me to weigh everything more accurately. I do my own shopping separate from the rest of the family. That way I can make sure I have healthier snack foods in the house, and not be tempted to give in to little debbie.

4. I gave up on the scale. I will let the weight fall off as it will, the thing I am more concerned about is FAT loss, not weight loss per se. I was amazed at how I really started to shed the lb's once I adopted this mentality. I think before weighing in I was stressing myself out, my cortisol would go through the roof, and no weight would come off.

5. Speaking of weighing in, I do so every two weeks now rather than daily. I was obsessed before, and it was unhealthy, as simple as that.

6. Drink more water. I could drink a few two liters of soda a day, when I first started this lifestyle change, I hadn't replaced that with water. I started drinking more, and my whole world changed. My digestive system is healthier, the weight comes off easier, I just feel better.

7. I do it for me. I'm not trying to please or displease anyone, if they have good advice I listen, if they try to discourage me I simply walk away. I have things I want to do with my life, and those things would make me much happier if I were skinnier and healthier to enjoy them. Simple as that.

That's about it, I'm sure I could go on and on, but hopefully some of what I typed hits home a little and helps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It helped me in the beginning to take it one day, even one hour at a time. I'm not going to overeat right now. I can wait an hour/day and see what happens tomorrow. Usually the urge to eat passes and I get busy with something else.

This ^^ is very helpful for me also. When I'm really craving something that doesn't fit my goals, I just wait. Wait until Friday or the weekend or tomorrow. And then if I reevaluate and might put it off another day or week. Often, I just forget it about until the next time I crave it. BUT, if the weekend comes and I still really want it. I have it. And I savor ever bite.

I think it would also help to stop using words like helpless and hopeless. Those can be dangerous labels that become excuses for overeating. You are in control. You make the decisions. Even if it's a bad decision, own it. You ate that. It's hard to change the problem if you won't admit that you are the problem.
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree you have to take one step at a time. Start with 1 meal. For me I start with a healthy lunch. After it becomes a routine, add another meal or a workout. Finally if you have a bad day, or weekend DON”T LOOK BACK! That is the hardest part for me. One bad weekend doesn’t have to turn into a bad month. Think about healthy habits not diet.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Tonya, I agree it is tough getting the will needed to make a long lasting or even permanent change. Most people here are dealing with the same kinds of issue. I agree with another poster that said to just get in the habit of at least logging faithfully and accurately. Then eventually move on to restricting calories. This website and app make it so easy to keep track!

Also, you mentioned a habit with regular soda. Now a lot of people won't agree with me, but I think diet sodas are good if you already have a habit with those drinks. Then work on replacing with water over time. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    How do I change my habits? I did good for the first couple weeks but I fell off (as I normally do). I have no sense of portion control. I tend to binge eat with instant remorse. I am a complete emotional eater...I always have been. I drink soda and I think I'm addicted lol I hate that girl looking back at me in the mirror!! It's starting to take a toll on me mentally and this is taking a toll on my relationships. I feel helpless and hopeless! Has anyone felt like this? How did you push yourself? What was your breaking point? Please help....I can't live like this anymore. I need to shed my "fat suit" Skinny Tonya is screaming inside!

There is no skinny Tonya. There is just you and your next choice. You are the sum of each choice you make over a day, over a week, over a year.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Iwas the same way... I had no idea how much I was actually eating until I started tracking it. Here's what helps me stay on track (for the most part because, lets face it, we are all human and we slip occassionally. Remember don't beat yourself up when you slip, learn from it and move on... you can do it)

I keep three things handy at all times. An adjustable measuring cup, and adjustable measuring spoon, and a digital kitchen scale. Seriously. Weigh or measure everything you eat. be dilligent about it. You will be surprised at how much 1/2 cup of rice really is, and how filling 1 cup of broccoli can be... Make sure you reward yourself. 1/2 cup of low fat ice cream only runs about 100 calories depending on the brand you get, and can really be satisfying.

Whatever you do though, don't beat yourself up. You can do this, just take it one day at a time. If you need to, just take it one hour at a time. Before you know it, you'll have lots more successes than slips and you'll be forming good habits that become second nature.

Now, go look in the mirror and say three words.... "I LIKE ME!" over and over. ;)
  • SoCoN8iv2
    SoCoN8iv2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tonya, I've been where you are. It all seems so incredibly big. And because we want so desperately to make all the changes at once we jump in with both feet and it overwhelms us. So start small. Pick one healthy habit at a time. Don't eat breakfast? Start by eating something in the morning. If it's super healthy, great! If it's a bowl of corn pops, that's okay too. Just plan for it. Don't make all the changes at once. It's too scary and you'll slide and the cycle begins again.

DON'T beat yourself up for "being bad" and don't reward yourself too much for "being good." There is no such thing as being bad or being good. There's just being healthy. If you eat the brownie, then make sure it's the best dang brownie you ever ate. Savor the flavor, the texture, every single bite. Then let it go and get back to healthy food. Don't beat yourself up for slipping. Don't obsess over what you did wrong because you can't make it not have happened. Just keep your eyes forward and plan out the next meal. Keep healthy snacks in your bag with you at all times so you don't get caught off guard.

There is no perfect path to this. We're all struggling and we all have off days or meals. We all have our vices. The key is tracking it and making better choices. And NOT beating yourself up. I know it's cliche but this is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll do great and when you feel weak or afraid, come here. Let this group of people be your support. :-)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    How do I change my habits? I did good for the first couple weeks but I fell off (as I normally do). I have no sense of portion control. I tend to binge eat with instant remorse. I am a complete emotional eater...I always have been. I drink soda and I think I'm addicted lol I hate that girl looking back at me in the mirror!! It's starting to take a toll on me mentally and this is taking a toll on my relationships. I feel helpless and hopeless! Has anyone felt like this? How did you push yourself? What was your breaking point? Please help....I can't live like this anymore. I need to shed my "fat suit" Skinny Tonya is screaming inside!

There is no skinny Tonya. There is just you and your next choice. You are the sum of each choice you make over a day, over a week, over a year.

Yup. This...

And I'm just gonna leave this here...

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Everything Grace said right above me an one more thing to read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/graceisjinxed/view/just-stop-669606
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a breaking point. I had an "aha" moment.

That moment when I realizing that I deserve to be more than a fat, frumpy, unfit, dowdy and dumpy 50 year old woman. I wanted much more than that out of life. I was ready to make some changes in my life, and I did. No more excuses or complacency.
    Since then I lost 50lbs and there's no stopping me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Start with small changes- they feel less overwhelming at the time. I weigh and measure all of my food because my eyes always wants more than my stomach needs. you can do this =)

This.

Pick the lowest hanging fruit, the easiest goal first, so you can look back when needed and remind yourself you reached that one.

Perhaps drop the pop, as empty calories that may have more of a sugar effect on you (very possible if overweight).

Either go diet if that is realistic, or cut back at same time with diet, or flavored water with caffeine, ect.

Spend several weeks with that while you follow advice to log everything. Make loss amount realistic too, like 1 lb weekly as recommended.

Perhaps next step, if sugars really hit you hard and make you get low blood sugar and feel hungry when not and crave more.

No snacks or meals that are only or predominantly simple refined carbs in breads. No bagel for a snack, no bowl of high sugar cereal, no toast and butter. If the bread is after you've eat protein and fat, fine, if you have the calories for it.

And while this is going on, make you list of why you fail.
    Eat that tub of ice cream? Why did you buy it? Can you buy small ice cream cups and just eat one? Must you avoid because of no self-control?
    Did you run through fast food place and order too much and the wrong stuff? Why was that only option? Did you not pack a desired lunch? Did you wait too long for a meal and then weren't thinking? Why late?
    Ect. Make that list and keep on fridge and in car in big words to stare at.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Everything Grace said right above me an one more thing to read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/graceisjinxed/view/just-stop-669606

Awwwwww. I :heart: you
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Also, weight is just as mental as it is physical. You said your an emotional eater (I am too) I sought out counseling and it has done wonders for me. Just a thought.

Oh and I picked up a barbell and heavy weights and fell in love.