How to cut water weight, day before weigh in?

Options
1235»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Whoops responded under the wrong fitnesspal account

Reported for multiple accounts...

Plot twist....

CRo84 (her boyfriend) deactivated "his" account

lol the PIs are on the case
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a rest. OP, just take care of yourself...its about health not money. Good luck.

You have to be kidding, it's a weigh in for a contest? "chill"

Fighters do this every fight and they're fine.

Drink a lot of water today and don't drink or eat anything after midnight. Funny that sounds like what you do for a pre-operation.

Fighters get punched in the face for money and sport, they are not the best example.

If you think that taking extreme measures to lose water weight will never be harmful I'm sorry but you are wrong, if you take it too far you can actually hurt yourself and where that line lies can be hard to define.

Nutmegoreo approached this much better than I in that regard. I got more heated than I should have, I was already annoyed by something else but that is no excuse. I do not think however it is appropriate to encourage someone to do something potentially (read potentially) dangerous for the purpose of money. Did I over react? Sure. Do I think the opposite is true and it is "fine"? No, I don't think it is fine. No doctor would encourage this, why should we?

i guess you missed the part about it being one night, and it being 100% identical to surgery prep. which my doctor insisted i do lol

I'm assuming for your surgery prep you were just told to fast. Not take diuretics, not run around in a trash bag, not take laxatives, not drink gallons of water and then stop drinking water all together. 24 hours is sufficient time to cause yourself harm with electrolyte imbalances if you decide you really want to "commit" to losing water weight in a short period of time.

Will fasting for 20 hours cause harm? No. Will it cause 3 pounds of water weight loss in an already small woman? Probably not. Can you cause harm by trying some of the things listed/suggested in 24 hours time? Yeah, you honestly can. I just think its better to not encourage it at all but if you want me to say you can intermittently fast or not drink water for a period of close to a day and be okay then yeah okay sure.
  • aglopez1102
    aglopez1102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    so is this topic about me posting under his account or water weight?
    some of the people here act immature.

seriously
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    thank you for the advise !

i'm thinking since it might be too late for the water pills, i can just buy the laxative like you suggested, do cardio with a trashbag under my clothes and take an salt bath before bed/ in the am... im hopefull those three do it for me !!

While each of these is fairly unhealthy on their own, I definitely wouldn't advise doing all of them combined. My boyfriend used to do Judo competitively and they would use these methods to make before-fight weigh in (this is before they changed the rules re this). It was so bad that many fighters had to be nearly carried over to the scale and could barely stand long enough to get the official weight.

If you do all of these methods combined I have a feeling you feel too much like garbage to even go into work to claim your "victory" for the weight lost.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I'm going to give this a rest. OP, just take care of yourself...its about health not money. Good luck.

Drink a lot of water today and don't drink or eat anything after midnight. Funny that sounds like what you do for a pre-operation.

Fighters get punched in the face for money and sport, they are not the best example.

If you think that taking extreme measures to lose water weight will never be harmful I'm sorry but you are wrong, if you take it too far you can actually hurt yourself and where that line lies can be hard to define.

Nutmegoreo approached this much better than I in that regard. I got more heated than I should have, I was already annoyed by something else but that is no excuse. I do not think however it is appropriate to encourage someone to do something potentially (read potentially) dangerous for the purpose of money. Did I over react? Sure. Do I think the opposite is true and it is "fine"? No, I don't think it is fine. No doctor would encourage this, why should we?

i guess you missed the part about it being one night, and it being 100% identical to surgery prep. which my doctor insisted i do lol

I'm assuming for your surgery prep you were just told to fast. Not take diuretics, not run around in a trash bag, not take laxatives, not drink gallons of water and then stop drinking water all together.

no he didn't, nor was any of that mentioned in the post you were replying to
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

seriously

check out the link i posted then go to her blog. she didn't use any laxitives etc
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I'm assuming for your surgery prep you were just told to fast. Not take diuretics, not run around in a trash bag, not take laxatives, not drink gallons of water and then stop drinking water all together. 24 hours is sufficient time to cause yourself harm with electrolyte imbalances if you decide you really want to "commit" to losing water weight in a short period of time.

Will fasting for 20 hours cause harm? No. Will it cause 3 pounds of water weight loss in an already small woman? Probably not. Can you cause harm by trying some of the things listed/suggested in 24 hours time? Yeah, you honestly can. I just think its better to not encourage it at all but if you want me to say you can intermittently fast or not drink water for a period of close to a day and be okay then yeah okay sure.

Additionally, a preoperative preparation is medically supervised (doctor prescribed) for a procedure which is medically needed (in most cases). The doctors are aware of the risks being taken by the patient, and have considered the risk-benefit ratio and determined that the benefits outweigh the risks. Very different scenario.

OP, I hope you take the time to consider the risks vs. the benefits.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

seriously

check out the link i posted then go to her blog. she didn't use any laxitives etc

what link and what blog?
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My new motto: Sh*tting my way to victory!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

seriously

what link and what blog?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cagewriter/ronda-rousey-cut-17-pounds-one-day-prove-214523472--mma.html

like i said , very dedicaited.

she dropped near 18 in one night, still had the will to beat the opposing coach in a physical challenge

i guess its technically just a URL not a link lol.

there's a link to her blog in the article
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

seriously
    They're worried your impending death from water intoxication and electrolyte imbalance will be on their hands.

I don't know how humans survived before MFP forums to warn them of all the bodies' fragility and potentially fatal dieting errors.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    oh i am sure there were still plenty of people lining up to tell you what to do before there was an internet
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

seriously
    They're worried your impending death from water intoxication and electrolyte imbalance will be on their hands.

I don't know how humans survived before MFP forums to warn them of all the bodies' fragility and potentially fatal dieting errors.

Hahaha I often wonder how the human race has survived THIS long, what with the popularity of the Jersey Shore and Real Housewives shows.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My new motto: Sh*tting my way to victory!

I want credit for that and 20% of royalties
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So what did you do? Did you end up getting off the three pounds?

"If you are not cheating, you are not trying"
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    So what did you do? Did you end up getting off the three pounds?

"If you are not cheating, you are not trying"

Inquiring minds want to know!
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    buy a copy of "The Art & Science of Making Weight" available from EFS.
  • katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    She updated her ticker form 8lbs lost to 11 so I guess she did it
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cagewriter/ronda-rousey-cut-17-pounds-one-day-prove-214523472--mma.html

like i said , very dedicaited.

she dropped near 18 in one night, still had the will to beat the opposing coach in a physical challenge

i guess its technically just a URL not a link lol.

there's a link to her blog in the article
    [/quote]

Ronda Rousey is pretty bad @$$!! if only that weight would stay off by doing something like that..
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    her point was simply to shame the fighter she was coaching that refused to even try to make weight.