The Ultimate Poverty Dinner

Options

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    People often assume vegans save money on food. In reality, vegan food items are more expensive overall. I have been rock-bottom-poor my entire adult life. I have always skimped on food, spending on food whatever is left over after paying bills, buying pet food and paper products and household/laundry products, personal care items, and cigarettes. Potato chips are my go-to meal. Food is the only variable in my budget; the only thing I can cut corners on. So it is potato chips for me, many days.

I would say that cigarettes are a pretty big variable in your budget.

This. Aren't they like $20 a pop?
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    People often assume vegans save money on food. In reality, vegan food items are more expensive overall. I have been rock-bottom-poor my entire adult life. I have always skimped on food, spending on food whatever is left over after paying bills, buying pet food and paper products and household/laundry products, personal care items, and cigarettes. Potato chips are my go-to meal. Food is the only variable in my budget; the only thing I can cut corners on. So it is potato chips for me, many days.

I know that here they are almost *$8/pack
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I know that here they are almost *$8/pack

almost 13 a pack here
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think tomato soup made from ketchup and hot water is the ultimate poverty meal.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    oh really they are like $18 here...you think that would deter people but no...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am feeling like a spoiled brat right now, reading this. I'm sorry if this is super princessy (or gullible) but is this stuff people actually do? The ketchup and stuff?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am feeling like a spoiled brat right now, reading this. I'm sorry if this is super princessy (or gullible) but is this stuff people actually do? The ketchup and stuff?

Pretty popular in the Great Depression.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Well, I went with French's mustard because I hated ketchup, but yes.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!!!

I don't classify this as a poverty dinner thing at all......

Its just food...... just eating..... just having a meal. Period.

I will have an awesome day whether I dine on T-Bone Steak or Fried Green Tomatoes or even An apple for Dinner... Thats just me, and how I was raised. LOL!

However, it is amazing to see that many people THINK and assume that poor people are eating poorly. Actually, most of these people are eating much better than we give them credit. They make Gravy.... and eat it (every meal) until its GONE...... they cook big pots of Rice.... and Oatmeal........ and Grits..... and Potatoes...... and Greens...... and they serve Meatless meals........... they "COOK" period.

They can COOK and DO COOK.... and they have no desire to eat out. LOL...

They freeze leftovers, and use and re-use them. They have sense enough to leave the Raimens in the store..... and buy regular noodles. Raimens may taste good... but its just the Sodium tricking you into eating more sodium.

They make casseroles, and make huge pots of Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Lentils, and enough cornbread to feed an Army. They NEVER throw away ANYTHING!!!! Even if it has mold growing on it!

Food is precious.... Food means LIFE.

Seriously!

Some of them are on assistance.... and get Food Stamps.... some and MOST aren't.

Some of them still borrow a cup of sugar, a cup of Grits, and/or a cup/box of Oatmeal.

Many of them will put butter or margarine on a slice of bread..... and sprinkle a little Sugar on it - and call it a meal.... Which is fine..... its better than going to Micky D's.

Many more of those same people will, and DO eat the same thing ever & over again for weeks and NEVER GET BORED... or complain because its called making due - not being poor, or living in Poverty.

These people take whatever they have, and put it on the table, say grace over it and thank God for it, break it and serve it to their families...... and hit that repeat button the next day..... come Rain or Shine. Prayerfully.

I know because its normal for me to eat what I have, and not even consider being ungrateful, or picky, or choosy.

I am not Poor...... I am RICH indeed.... because I have my Health and my Health is my WEALTH.

Being transformed and losing over 200 pounds has changed me to the point that I AM JUST THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY I AM THANKFUL NOW.

We have been brain washed into thinking we should be able to eat whatever we want, whenever we want it!

Thats one reason so many people are super morbidly obese: THEY THINK ABOUT FOOD CONSTANTLY. From the second we wake up until we crash at night.... we are eating and thinking about what we want to eat NEXT! Our next big opportunity to EAT, AND CONSUME, AND DEVOUR SOMETHING.

Repeat. Repeat. REPEAT.

Once we Humans see that we are all connected, we start to see what's important and its not our lack of food..... or money.... its our lack of compassion, love, time and peace that deprives us.

People are starving to death and they're OBESE.

Once we see that the kind of Cars, homes and fancy Cell phones we have, and the size of our flat screens TV's do not define us..... its our hearts..... our ability to forgive, our ability to touch the lives of others, and share our loaves and fish with our neighbors that matters.

We are all so close to starvation..... without The Living Bread.
    We are all so close to dying of thirst...... without The Living Water.

Unless we stop eating our seed.... and get it into good, fertile ground.... so we can have The Harvest God delights in we will forever be hungry, bankrupt, poverty stricken, empty and ignorant.

Its sad to say - many of us are alone in a room with many, many people...... and we will remain that way all our days unless we awaken to He that never sleeps.

God.

What just happened.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm with ramen as the ultimate poverty meal. Not exactly healthy, but I could get it for 10 cents a package when I was in college.

I did Mac N Cheese with a can of tuna mixed in.

Funny, I STILL do Mac n Cheese with a can of tuna mixed in. But I can afford Kraft and Chicken of the Sea now.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!!!

I will have an awesome day whether I dine on T-Bone Steak or Fried Green Tomatoes or even An apple for Dinner... Thats just me, and how I was raised. LOL!

However, it is amazing to see that many people THINK and assume that poor people are eating poorly. Actually, most of these people are eating much better than we give them credit. They make Gravy.... and eat it (every meal) until its GONE...... they cook big pots of Rice.... and Oatmeal........ and Grits..... and Potatoes...... and Greens...... and they serve Meatless meals........... they "COOK" period.

They freeze leftovers, and use and re-use them. They have sense enough to leave the Raimens in the store..... and buy regular noodles. Raimens may taste good... but its just the Sodium tricking you into eating more sodium.

They make casseroles, and make huge pots of Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Lentils, and enough cornbread to feed an Army. They NEVER throw away ANYTHING!!!! Even if it has mold growing on it!

Seriously!

Some of them are on assistance.... and get Food Stamps.... some and MOST aren't.

Some of them still borrow a cup of sugar, a cup of Grits, and/or a cup/box of Oatmeal.

Many of them will put butter or margarine on a slice of bread..... and sprinkle a little Sugar on it - and call it a meal.... Which is fine..... its better than going to Micky D's.

Many more of those same people will, and DO eat the same thing ever & over again for weeks and NEVER GET BORED... or complain because its called making due - not being poor, or living in Poverty.

These people take whatever they have, and put it on the table, say grace over it and thank God for it, break it and serve it to their families...... and hit that repeat button the next day..... come Rain or Shine. Prayerfully.

I know because its normal for me to eat what I have, and not even consider being ungrateful, or picky, or choosy.

I am not Poor...... I am RICH indeed.... because I have my Health and my Health is my WEALTH.

Being transformed and losing over 200 pounds has changed me to the point that I AM JUST THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY I AM THANKFUL NOW.

We have been brain washed into thinking we should be able to eat whatever we want, whenever we want it!

Thats one reason so many people are super morbidly obese: THEY THINK ABOUT FOOD CONSTANTLY. From the second we wake up until we crash at night.... we are eating and thinking about what we want to eat NEXT! Our next big opportunity to EAT, AND CONSUME, AND DEVOUR SOMETHING.

Repeat. Repeat. REPEAT.

Once we Humans see that we are all connected, we start to see what's important and its not our lack of food..... or money.... its our lack of compassion, love, time and peace that deprives us.

Once we see that the kind of Cars, homes and fancy Cell phones we have, and the size of our flat screens TV's do not define us..... its our hearts..... our ability to forgive, our ability to touch the lives of others, and share our loaves and fish with our neighbors that matters.

Unless we stop eating our seed.... and get it into good, fertile ground.... so we can have The Harvest God delights in we will forever be hungry, bankrupt, poverty stricken, empty and ignorant.

Its sad to say - many of us are alone in a room with many, many people...... and we will remain that way all our days unless we awaken to He that never sleeps.

God.

What just happened.

My head hurts.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm with ramen as the ultimate poverty meal. Not exactly healthy, but I could get it for 10 cents a package when I was in college.

Funny, I STILL do Mac n Cheese with a can of tuna mixed in. But I can afford Kraft and Chicken of the Sea now.

Mmmmm i totally forgot about this!! Lol
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Hmm..I grew up eating a Fried egg over rice smothered in a bit of ketchup when we had no food..maybe a few slices of Spam if we were feeling fancy.

Mom called it "Puta food". Was delicious!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

I do Mac n Cheese with pieces of cut up hot dog mixed in. :love:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Oh... I've seen mayo sandwiches too.

yes!!! and ketchup sandwiches tooo!!
    When we were kids back in Astoria, NY in the late 70's we regularly ate mayo or ketchup sandwiches every day after school :laugh: :blushing:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!!!

Seriously!

Repeat. Repeat. REPEAT.

God.

What just happened.

My head hurts.

:laugh:
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was hiking through a volcanic crater when I had the ULTIMATE poverty dinner

Canned refried beans
    dry ramen
    sriracha

It was the best meal I've ever eaten.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've fed 5 mouths for less than that. Rice (I don't know, pennies--I buy it in 50lb sacks from the ethnic food store) and beans (dry, again, purchased in bulk), and whatever sauces I can mix up with what I've got (hot sauce, garlic, condiment packets stolen from take out places, etc.). Or baked potatoes and a package of 99cent hot dogs. Sometimes some eggs to up the protein in either meal. Made my own bread from scratch. We ate lots of bread, lol. I've fed a whole family on a $100-150 monthly budget in the past. That's $3-5 a day for 5 (2 small children, 1 teen, 2 adults).
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I made Kraft Mac N Cheese with steak and peas in it because my son loves carbs and I wanted to get some protein in him, and he still makes it after moving out.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles when they were 10 cents a piece