Critique My Keto Meal Plan?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If I do work with a reasonable, smart, well organized and planned out diet; along with plenty of exercise, what am I looking at losing within my first year? This is just one thing I'm dying to find out. No joking, no sarcasm--I'm being completely serious and would like someone else to be too. I'm desperate to stop being this fat and gross and want to be more fit, active, and happy. What would I be looking at after a year? Two years? I'm 315 lbs, 6'3, 19 years old, and as far as I've been told people my size and age can drop weight faster and better, but I really just don't know. I'm sorry for coming off as crazy or stupid with this thread, but I just want help. :/

It will really depend on a lot of variables. Plug in your numbers here to see http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But weight loss is not linear and there are no guarantees there will also be ups and downs and maybe even long periods of 'stalling'. Patience and consistency is what you need. You have a long life ahead of you, what's the rush???

I'm just tired of being this big and this out of shape. I've had to deal with it my entire life and just want to be done with it, soon. I'm also tired of putting everyone around me through it and having to have them just watch me destroy myself

Learning how to eat right is going to do more to improve that than crash dieting.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If I do work with a reasonable, smart, well organized and planned out diet; along with plenty of exercise, what am I looking at losing within my first year? This is just one thing I'm dying to find out. No joking, no sarcasm--I'm being completely serious and would like someone else to be too. I'm desperate to stop being this fat and gross and want to be more fit, active, and happy. What would I be looking at after a year? Two years? I'm 315 lbs, 6'3, 19 years old, and as far as I've been told people my size and age can drop weight faster and better, but I really just don't know. I'm sorry for coming off as crazy or stupid with this thread, but I just want help. :/

It will really depend on a lot of variables. Plug in your numbers here to see http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But weight loss is not linear and there are no guarantees there will also be ups and downs and maybe even long periods of 'stalling'. Patience and consistency is what you need. You have a long life ahead of you, what's the rush???

I'm just tired of being this big and this out of shape. I've had to deal with it my entire life and just want to be done with it, soon. I'm also tired of putting everyone around me through it and having to have them just watch me destroy myself

Well then stop doing it. Stop destroying yourself, get on the path and once you are there keep going, push through and celebrate the successes along the way. I want to see you in a year. I want to see a picture of you posted in the success stories. You can do it, you just don't need to do anything extreme to get there.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am just going to repeat what everyone else is saying. You need to add way more food. It is understandable why someone would want to lose weight fast...we live in a want it RIGHT NOW age.

However, it is dangerous to your health and over all well being to be too restrictive, at your age you should be setting out to set up a healthy, sustainable lifestyle you can stick with for the rest of your life, not trying to sprint to some 'finish line'.

Your TDEE is 3421, how is less than 1000 calories good for someone who needs 3421 to maintain? Your BMR is 2851 again how is less than 1000 calories good for someone who if in a coma would need 2851 to survive? You aren't in a coma are you? You get up and presumably get out of bed everyday - right? I mean you are typing on a computer - which takes calories (energy) to do.

If you take 20% of you TDEE you get 2737 this is closer to where you should be, with this you will set yourself up for a healthy, steady, sustainable weight loss which will also allow you to include exercise as part of your healthy, steady, sustainable plan.
    Also there is no need to exclude food groups or what some people call 'bad' foods. There are no bad foods, you need all the macros (and micros) for energy and health. Balance them closer to the 40/30/30 % (whatever works for you).

Do it right this time around so you can continue to do it right for the remainder of your life. Good luck.

At 315 pounds he'd probably be fine pushing past TDEE - 20% and eating only 2400. "Only" 2400 though is like 5 times more than his current plan.

He could afford to be quite aggressive with his deficit at 315 and could do just fine being well under 2400 calories, particularly on a keto diet where hunger is usually less of a factor. But 500 calories? Yeah, probably not a good idea.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Don't feel bad. You're coming off as a bit desperate and uninformed but most of us have been there.

Other people have thrown out numbers about how much you can lose, I'm not going to do the math. What I'm going to offer is experience and insight.

It doesn't matter how much you can lose in total and by when. If you are active and maintain a reasonable deficit, you will feel like you have control and will be more fit, active and happy by the 4th of July. You will see an amazing difference by Christmas.

It took me 18 months of non-linear progress (I maintained and even tried to gain some muscle) to lose 50 pounds. However, two months after starting MFP, I KNEW I had it. It was just a matter of time that I would sit where I am today. That is an incredible feeling.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    double your portion sizes

eta:

or even consider tripling it.
    I know you are desperate for change, but if you go about it wrong, you are setting yourself up for failure - and noone wants to see that.

The food you are listing doesn't seem bad... there's just not enough.

Eat more of the stuff you are planning on - you should still see results, and will be less likely to end up in the hospital, or back where you started.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Keto and exercise imo isn't a great combination, keto works well if you're sedentary. The lack of carbs is really going to make you feel depleted and unenergetic.

Not true. I eat keto style and I workout. I can get through my workouts just fine.

Some can, others cannot...its body dependant and you won't know until you commit and roll those dice. Carbs are going to allow anyone the energy needed for a workout and there is no real reason to avoid them.

I don't avoid carbs. I just reduce them and keep them low. I still get carbs from my veggies and almonds and peanut butter. Keto is definitely not for everyone and I think OP needs to either adopt keto as a lifestyle change or try Atkins instead.
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    The calculator is telling me I need 2388 calories per meal? Using the scoobysworkshop calculator and I put everything in right--not sure what the problem is.
  • JoeDenison
    JoeDenison Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've just started my ketosis diet and the meals I have planned out for it goes as follows:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 3 strips of bacon

Snack: 8 oz green tea, 1 tbsp of peanut butter

Lunch: 2boiled eggs, 3 cups of salad, 1 hotdog link

Dinner: 8 oz of chicken breast, 2 tbsp of ranch dressing

This also puts me at only 897 calories.

I weigh 315 pounds since Sunday and am 6'3 in height.

I'll also be working out alongside this--I'll have to edit in the lifting workouts once I remember a few exact names here and there, but I'm also currently doing 20 minutes if cardio. All workouts will be increased as I go.

One more thing: I'm doing this to lose body fat, so please keep that in mind.

So, what would you add or take away?

Looking to add more calories to fit what I need, I'm not shooting for low carb.

If you desire ketosis, your diet MUST be low carb. DO include low-starch vegetables (organic mixed greens, spinach, broccoli, leeks, asparagus, etc.) ... 4-5 servings a day, split between lunch and dinner.

First, find out how many pounds of lean body mass you have ... then make sure you eat 1g of protein daily for each pound of lean body mass.

After protein and vegetables above, get the rest of your calories from fat, but I'd skip the hotdogs or any processed food. Get your fat from grass fed butter, grass fed beef, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, coconut oil, MCT oil, and olive oil (saturated and omega-3). Stay away from trans fats, polyunsaturated fats (most all vegetable oils are exclusively omega-6).

If you are going this low on calories, it's important that you get lab work (blood tests) to know where you stand (and more importantly, effects as you progress). BMP, CBC, lipid profile, fasting glucose and HbA1C, magnesium RBC, potassium RBC, vitamin D, serum iron, ferritin, sex hormones, DHEAs, fasting insulin. I'd do a complete thyroid panel as well (TSH, Free T4, Free T3, reverse T3, TPO/TPA antibodies). It's good to know where you stand on these, and make sure kidney/liver and thyroid function is OK, and to check again later to see what has changed. (And, it's good to know if something is out of whack, it might be a reason why you would have difficulty losing). If you don't want to go to a doctor for these, there are plenty of online sources where you can order your own lab tests and get the results sent back to you (most use your local LabCorp office for blood draw), and plenty of forums around that you can have others give you their (non medical, not FDA approved) opinion.

Best wishes to you! I started about where you are now, have learned a lot since then!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

You remind me of a friend I had about your age when I first started MFP. He had been punishing himself with food all of his life by being fat, got on MFP, got control, lost well more than 100 pounds...and continued to punish himself with food. He berated himself for being "skinny fat" and went on a keto diet when he really should have been on a bulk and started fainting. Eventually he left MFP with the resolution to just go live his life.

I applaud you for your decision to get control. Many of us have found that working through our weight issues has required addressing other issues with our self-perception and our self-esteem. Heck, building up to a full push-up has brought up self-doubts that I thought I'd left behind long ago. Right now, start at the basics - move more, eat at a reasonable deficit - but be aware that there are many things that drive the choices you've been making and that you might need to look at them in order to continue moving forward.
  • maybabier
    maybabier Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keto works very well in men IMO. People with lots to lose also tend to get better results. My body works better with a little carbs and less fat, result on me is not worth eating like that. My bf's body works perfectly with Keto and gets great result with that diet.

Few suggestions to your diet:
    - lose the chicken breast. you're here to eat FAT. Get yourself some rib eye steak, pork chop, etc. Cook them in butter, or coconut oil if you want to feel healthy.
    - lose the peanut butter
    - snack on pork rinds, nuts with low carbs (almonds)
    - get some sugar free jello in case you crave for sweets, trust me you will
    - whipped cream also works well with your jello
    - take a cheat day every week. replenish your body with lean protein and healthy carbs (whole wheat, brown rice, lots of veggies)

In the end, don't listen to what others think you should do. Try everything once, and if it doesnt work for your body move on to the next. Find something sustainable!
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Keto works very well in men IMO. People with lots to lose also tend to get better results. My body works better with a little carbs and less fat, result on me is not worth eating like that. My bf's body works perfectly with Keto and gets great result with that diet.

- lose the chicken breast. you're here to eat FAT. Get yourself some rib eye steak, pork chop, etc. Cook them in butter, or coconut oil if you want to feel healthy.
    - lose the peanut butter
    - take a cheat day every week. replenish your body with lean protein and healthy carbs (whole wheat, brown rice, lots of veggies)

In the end, don't listen to what others think you should do. Try everything once, and if it doesnt work for your body move on to the next. Find something sustainable!

Thanks!
  • julieakyol
    julieakyol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rather than doing something crazy and uninformed, try eating a high-protein/veg, low fruit/complex carb diet of small meals every 3 hours or so. This may work to keep your blood sugar level at an even keel and be more do-able than starving yourself. Exercise is a very god idea under this plan....also, eating this way is sustainable in the long run. good luck!
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I've worked out the problem with the calculator--does this sound right for me?:

2400 calories per day

35 percent protein, 45 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent fat

5 or 6 hours + of exercise a week (one hour per day, half lifting half cardio)

3 meals a day

Does this sound like the way to go? Any critiques, additions, or subtractions recommended out there?

Will I be losing too many calories compared to what I'm taking in?

Will I ACTUALLY lose weight like this?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    The calculator is telling me I need 2388 calories per meal? Using the scoobysworkshop calculator and I put everything in right--not sure what the problem is.

Probably 2388 total, not per meal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

2400 calories per day

3 meals a day

Does this sound like the way to go? Any critiques, additions, or subtractions recommended out there?

Yeah that looks better and HELL yes you will lose weight doing that, you will lose weight pretty fast I imagine. I was saying you'd lose 2 pounds a week without exercise. With exercise you'd lose even faster. Honestly 2400 is pretty aggressive for you if you are going to exercise as well but I don't want to discourage you from it because its a ton better than what you had planned originally.
  • istykray
    istykray Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good tips on here, especially Maybabier and Tuffsubject. I've lost most of mine on Atkins, but my son has dropped about 30 with the Keto, which is just a little stricter than what I'm doing. I know the pork rinds or raw almonds (when he craved chips or something salty) and using whipped cream and sugar free jellos helped him when he got tired of eating all the protein. He also had the Atkins protein shakes as a quick snack. You got this - eat more of the right foods and definitely work out. Good luck to you!
  • Triplesget
    Options

2400 calories per day

3 meals a day

Yeah that looks better and HELL yes you will lose weight doing that, you will lose weight pretty fast I imagine. I was saying you'd lose 2 pounds a week without exercise. With exercise you'd lose even faster. Honestly 2400 is pretty aggressive for you if you are going to exercise as well but I don't want to discourage you from it because its a ton better than what you had planned originally.

Thanks a lot, I'm glad to know that I've sort of worked out a better plan here. :) Any idea how far in I need to re-calculate everything? Like, after how much weight loss I should go back in and see what I need?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

2400 calories per day

3 meals a day

Thanks a lot, I'm glad to know that I've sort of worked out a better plan here. :) Any idea how far in I need to re-calculate everything? Like, after how much weight loss I should go back in and see what I need?

Probably after 20 pounds lost you might need to adjust down by a 100 calories or so. Honestly at 6'3'' and 19 years old even if you get completely lean 2400 calories is probably at or below your maintenance level even then.

Just for comparison. I am 6' tall, I exercise 6 days a week for about an hour, I weigh 170 pounds so I am reasonably lean and I maintain at about 2900 calories.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

- lose the peanut butter

I disagree a bit, particularly on avoiding chicken and eating only fatty meats. A big guy who's lifting and running an aggressive caloric deficit (say 2000 calories for the OP) is not going to have the caloric intake to get all of his protein from fatty sources. You can eat some fatty meats and perhaps a bit of cream in some dishes on a keto diet, but you shouldn't neglect your protein macro and you still have to fit all your food into your calorie allotment for the day. Hitting 150g+ of protein per day eating just bacon and fatty meats is not realistic - you're better off getting to love chicken and fish.

All too often keto people neglect their protein macro (a bad idea) and many even seem afraid of protein, but there's no need to be so protein-averse.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

2400 calories per day

3 meals a day

Now THAT is a plan I can agree with. (Sorry I gave you are hard time before :flowerforyou: ). That plan is healthy, practical and most importantly, sustainable - meaning you can eat/exercise on that level for the rest of your life. And YES, you will lose weight! Just remember that commitment and dedication to the plan, discipline and patience are also necessary.

Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard. Choose your hard.