I've only had 800 cals but I'm so FULL :(

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not true.

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Here's the summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Here's a PDF of the whole article:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

How about relatively healthy except for overweight folks?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2011.48/full

"This randomized clinical trial, performed in a sample of police officers with BMI >30, examined the effects of a low-calorie diet based on carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner, in comparison to an identical low-calorie diet providing carbohydrates throughout the day.

Greater weight loss, abdominal circumference, and body fat mass reductions were observed in the experimental diet in comparison to controls.

It is proposed that the smaller reduction in averaged 12-h leptin concentration, induced by the experimental diet, may be an important factor in the higher levels of satiety reported during the day. Previous studies with different diets reported that during weight loss, leptin concentrations decreased, satiety levels were reduced, food intake renewed and a slow regain of body weight occurred (14,15,17). Thus, dietary manipulations that will maintain higher daytime leptin concentrations during daylight hours in weight loss process may be beneficial. Our experimental diet might manipulate daily leptin secretion, leading to higher relative concentrations throughout the day. We propose that this modification of hormone secretion helped participants experience greater satiety during waking hours, enhance diet maintenance over time and have better anthropometric outcomes."
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how one can feel full all day after consuming just 800 calories.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    So far I've only had 800 or so calories for the day and my belly is so full. I had fajita chicken and bell peppers with brown rice and Sriracha at 2 pm and I've stayed full since. Now dinner is coming and I'm not even hungry. There's a box of cookies here in front of me and I don't even want them. I feel totally satisfied, and I'm not TRYING to limit myself, I just don't feel like I can pack any more food into me before 7 pm. And no I haven't exercised today. Do I have to eat to meet 1200 even if I'm not hungry?? Ahhh! Please give me some advice!

You know your eating good quality food when your full after 800 calories!

To answer your question, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Your body is a better indicator of hunger and satiety than a mathemtical equation that is basically a guestimate of how many calories your supposed to eat a day :)

Are you working out too? what kind of workout?

I've eaten pretty healthy and clean today, peanut butter, bananas, wheat toast, chicken, brown rice, and tons of veggies. I had some cheese too until I got full. But I have the feeling a lot of other posters think I'm possibly eating rice cakes and celery all day and that's why I'm at 800 cals, which is not the case. Of course you know brown chicken and rice is really filling, and with all my water intake my stomach stays full. I was surprised myself, because I ate A LOT and was at 800, but other times I've eaten a bunch of low-fat processed foods and been STARVING at the end of the day even at 1300 calories. I haven't worked out today which is why I was trying to make it to 800. And the reason I didn't want to eat past 7 was because I knew I wasn't going to exercise today, and also I'm just not very hungry today. I' m 5'2" and 170 pounds, and totally new to losing weight...I guess I kind of thought MFP was a place to ask real advice without getting bashed on from a lot of users but I guess that's just wishful thinking....lol

That's a rather long list for 800 calories. Are you sure you measured the food correctly? Did you weigh it? A serving of brown rice is 200 calories before you even add the chicken. The toast is another 75+ cals per slice. The peanut butter is about 200 cals per serving. I mean, are you only eating half servings or something?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If Im over or under one day at a time I dont stress about it.

I look at a couple of days at a time or even a week.....I look at an overall balance. I dont like to force feed or starve.

I listen to my body with a nod towards what my goals are. At present I need to lose weight so I want to hit the recommended macro nutritional goals including calories.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So far I've only had 800 or so calories for the day and my belly is so full. I had fajita chicken and bell peppers with brown rice and Sriracha at 2 pm and I've stayed full since. Now dinner is coming and I'm not even hungry. There's a box of cookies here in front of me and I don't even want them. I feel totally satisfied, and I'm not TRYING to limit myself, I just don't feel like I can pack any more food into me before 7 pm. And no I haven't exercised today. Do I have to eat to meet 1200 even if I'm not hungry?? Ahhh! Please give me some advice!

Your body is a better indicator of hunger and satiety than a mathemtical equation that is basically a guestimate of how many calories your supposed to eat a day :)

^ THIS * 1000
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how one can feel full all day after consuming just 800 calories.
    You see it all the time on every diet forum. I think that people start dieting and their mind goes from not thinking at all about fullness to being super-vigilant and you just fill up quickly for a while.

OP- Enjoy it while it lasts. It goes away. And if it doesn't-- how do you think humankind survived this long without MFP to make sure it was eating 'enough' every single day? Or are the 99.99% of people and animals on the planet not following MFP all in starvation mode? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just think about it.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I just do not understand how people become overweight when they cannot eat over 800 calories a day! what, does being on a diet suddenly make you not hungry?
    This is one problem I have never had, and wish I did!
    Smh.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No starvation mode. Just bank the calories if you don't wan to eat. Why push it.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about my body going into "starvation" mode, and gaining more weight. But is there a calorie limit that can make that happen? Or is 800-900 okay as long as it isn't habitual? I just don't want to screw up my metabolism by not eating enough :/

There have been dozens ( or maybe even hundreds ) of threads disproving " starvation mode " and it is difficult for me to imagine that there are still MFP members who actually believe that starvation mode is a possibility for people who live in the developed world, with the exception of people who have emotional problems that focus on food.....and with you weighing around 175 pounds that does not apply.
    So my thought is: troll.....because you can't possibly be for real.

What most people are talking about when they say "starvation mode" is "metabolic adaptation" or "metabolic damage." Starvation mode is a misnomer, because, of course, you aren't truly starving. But metabolic adaptation is very real. There was another thread on this here on MFP, and the study that was cited showed up to a 45% decrease in metabolism BEYOND what was expected due to eating very low calories diets for an extended amount of time. This will not, however, cause someone to gain weight, or even stop losing, but it may slow the rate of loss significantly, and water weight fluctuations can make it appear that weight loss has stopped. And, no, a day or two of eating very low calories won't do any damage. So no worries here, unless it becomes a pattern.

ETA: I see now that someone else posted about the study before me. We were thinking alike!
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that there's no way that you've only eaten 800 calories given that list including rice and peanut butter.

Please buy a food scale. It is the only way to really have any accuracy with your food. If any of us were any good at guessing and portion control, we wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place...
  • marinadairy
    marinadairy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are full, you are full.
    It's one thing if you are just not hungry or not want to eat at all because you feel not hungry because a lose of appetite could mean something else. But if you feel stuffed and can't eat another bite, don't.

Right now, I am trying to learn the difference of satisfied and stuffed. I used to think you weren't done till you couldn't eat another bite or until you ate everything that was on your plate. But you just want to be satisfied before your tummy hurts.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hm did you close your diary during this thread? Or maybe some of the responders are friends.

Anyway just to throw out info on how important it is to weigh. The medium-sized normal looking bananas that I buy at the store are about 167g WITHOUT the peel (I weigh it before I eat it then weigh the peel afterward) and that is 149cal. Since I can't see your diary it's impossible to theorize but based on the banana discussion I think you might just need a food scale for best accuracy. You're probably just full because it was more than 800 cal :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    download.gif

No one need make another comment after this ^^^. Pretty much says it all.

Cracked up laughing!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hm did you close your diary during this thread? Or maybe some of the responders are friends.

Anyway just to throw out info on how important it is to weigh. The medium-sized normal looking bananas that I buy at the store are about 167g WITHOUT the peel (I weigh it before I eat it then weigh the peel afterward) and that is 149cal. Since I can't see your diary it's impossible to theorize but based on the banana discussion I think you might just need a food scale for best accuracy. You're probably just full because it was more than 800 cal :)

A 167g medium banana? :blushing:

And this thread was locked. I saw it myself! This forum is making me think I'm crazy!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Seriously though. I must be a Fatty McPhaterson because I'm still hungry sometimes after eating my 1800 cal goal. I couldn't imagine being full at 800 cals. Crazy....

Well, I'd definitely feel full on 800 kcals... for a single meal, of course
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

A 167g medium banana? :blushing:

And this thread was locked. I saw it myself! This forum is making me think I'm crazy!

I think those are the bananas on steroids!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    800 calories definitely makes me feel full, but only if I eat it all at once. :wink:

Don't take the forum ribbing too seriously, OP. It's just reeeeeeally hard for some of us to understand not being able to eat more. I am never done eating. NEVER. DONE. EATING. I eat 2500 calories a day and I still have to make myself stop eating at night. Like, it's a conscious decision that I struggle with.

Also, threads like this pop up all the time. In the future, if you'd like to enjoy less snark and fewer cat gifs aimed at you, you can use the search function of the forums and find the answers to your questions without putting your own butt out in public to be judged. Worked for me. Searching and lurking in the forums will teach you much about the strange and wonderful place that is MFP.

PS Eat moar foodz! :flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I've eaten pretty healthy and clean today, peanut butter, bananas, wheat toast, chicken, brown rice, and tons of veggies. I had some cheese too until I got full. But I have the feeling a lot of other posters think I'm possibly eating rice cakes and celery all day and that's why I'm at 800 cals, which is not the case. Of course you know brown chicken and rice is really filling, and with all my water intake my stomach stays full. I was surprised myself, because I ate A LOT and was at 800, but other times I've eaten a bunch of low-fat processed foods and been STARVING at the end of the day even at 1300 calories. I haven't worked out today which is why I was trying to make it to 800. And the reason I didn't want to eat past 7 was because I knew I wasn't going to exercise today, and also I'm just not very hungry today. I' m 5'2" and 170 pounds, and totally new to losing weight...I guess I kind of thought MFP was a place to ask real advice without getting bashed on from a lot of users but I guess that's just wishful thinking....lol
    Unless you are eating teeny bits of those foods you listed, that sound like more than 800 calories. Chances are you are underestimating your calories. :smile:

If you are 170 calories, you can eat way more than 1300 calories and still lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Yeah....the trolls are always out on the internet. Positive reframe? Now you know who to block!

Back to this food business. This is making me hungry....darnit. I had about 1350 today and I'm starving, but not eating now! Generally speaking, one day that's off isn't going to make or break you in either direction. That said, and you'll hear this ad nauseum on these forums, but are you weighing food? Looking at that list of all you ate today, 800 seems lowballing. Peanut butter can easily be 200 cal. a serving. Banana easily 100. Good wheat toast...one piece easily 100. Rice is another 200. Chicken breast another 150 or so. Add in cheese and more fruits and veggies, and I'm past 800. Just a thought that you might have consumed more than you realized. Either way, no cause for panic.
    You know what, you two? The OP has gotten great advice. Just because someone says something you don't want to hear, or says it is a way that you don't like, does not mean they are a troll or even an *kitten*.