Awkward topic and I apologize for this...

Options
I know this is awkward to discuss, but we all do it, and I need feedback.

I get constipated a lot. And a lot of people tell me since I work out regularly and drink a lot of water that I really shouldn't be having that problem. But I can only go number 2 like once a week, and when I do, it's like a thirty minute bathroom break. I don't really know why this is, but does anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? It's really inconvienent lol

If you need to look through my diary to see if i'm eating something that may cause that, feel free to. My aunt told me last weekend that too many bananas can cause constipation, and I typically eat one every morning at breakfast, but I've stopped since she told me that.

Any advice or help to get a regular bowel movement going again…? Again, sorry for the awkward topic!

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    1) This sounds like a question for your doctor
    2) Your diary is not open.
  • Berkables
    Berkables Posts: 35
    Options
    i have the same problem. Some say it has to do with an increase in protein? I think, for me, it's stress related.

But, yes, you should stop eating bananas IMMEDIATELY! They are the enemy of healthy bowls. Stop eating them, increase your fiber, drink coffee, and most importantly, relax and stop thinking about it. When I'm really backed up, I eat a dinner of black beans and spinach, but even that won't work if I'm obsessing over it.

Don't be ashamed! Everybody poops. Good luck!
  • jennylew1212
    jennylew1212 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to have similar problems and I changed what I eat to include more fiber. If I don't hit my fiber total each day I suffer. You can look through my diary if you'd like.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    I had this problem as well. But for me the protein increase has actually helped. Also increasing my fibre. I need to get MORE than enough fibre. EVERY. DAY. Those are usually the first two macros I always try to hit, protein and fibre. Which explains why my carb and fats are at an all time low. Lol

I don't know about the banana thing. I eat them daily and it's never affected me. *shrugs*
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Prune juice?
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    A quick peek at your diary looks like you may be on the lighter side for fiber intake. You might try modifying your diary settings to show you your fiber count, like you can see carbs, fat, protein, etc. Then you will be able to see what your intake and find ways to increase it, if necessary.

Not sure if this applies to you, but if I get busy with life, I forget to go. It's something I have to make time for each day. Articles I read suggested going to the bathroom at generally the same time everyday and just sitting there. Maybe nothing will happen for a while, but eventually, you can train your body to know that's when to go. It helped me tremendously!
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    But, yes, you should stop eating bananas IMMEDIATELY! They are the enemy of healthy bowls.

:huh:
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Cheese is also an enemy of regularity for me. Up that fiber!
  • Berkables
    Berkables Posts: 35
    Options
    I have had life-long battles with constipation (starting from birth, seriously) and several doctors have told me this. Also, I just know it from my daily life. If I eat more than 3 bananas a week, I suffer. And it sucks because they're delicious and filling.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor but it sounds like Irritable Bowel Syndrome a bit...but it could be a lot of things
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i would gladly trade my BM's for this
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try some ground flax seed. Increase fiberous veggies consumption.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes, avoid bananas for a while..and cheese for sure!

Try prunes, apples, avocado, fiber supplements, coffee and skim milk. They all work for me, anyway.

I stay much more regular if I take an hour or two in the morning without eating and drink a large glass of water and some of my coffee.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the enemy of healthy bowels? This is news to me. I eat bananas like nobodies business and I've never had this problem. I usually eat at least 8 bananas a week, sometimes 10 or even 11.
  • ianthamfyolek
    ianthamfyolek Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem all my life and only recently have I finally figured out what works for me. I have chronic idiopathic constipation, which basically means I'm constipated despite drinking plenty of water, getting enough exercise, and ingesting good amounts of fiber. Kellogs All Bran Buds (2 servings per day, on top of normal fiber intake) along with a prescription Amitiza from my doc have helped quite a bit. We figured out that my body just likes to be constipated, much to my annoyance. I now get almost double of the daily recommendation for fiber along with the med and that has helped considerably. I've never been as regular as I have been these last two months.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Doctor visit is the first thing to do.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You can either:

1) Eat more fiber.

2) Eat more dietary fat.

3) Drink more water.

I find that if I am lacking in any of the above areas, it's a safe bet that I'm going to have problems.

ETA: I give my toddler apple juice or prunes to get things moving along if she needs it. Works every time.
  • megjr8
    megjr8 Posts: 7
    Options
    More fiber. Try switching out some of your dairy products for non-dairy alternatives, like almond milk. Probiotics daily can help tremendously.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I am also someone that doesn't move daily, like some. My family has the genes for megacolon which in non-extreme cases causes reduced frequency.

My point is, that it isn't necessarily something to alarm you so long as you go. If you are taking 30 minutes, though, that is concerning especially if straining is involved because you can damage yourself.

I would say...
    1. Are you drinking enough fluids... I would make to log it carefully for a while and see.
    2. Are you eating regular fibrous food, if not metamucil or some other know fiber quantity for a while.
    3. Avoiding some dairy also helps folks.

I actually log mine, for me it's between 3-6 days.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Eat more bananas.

I'm kidding. But eat more fiber. Take a fiber supplement, if you need to. The clear powders like Benefiber that dissolve in water completely are easy. A bonus is taken before meals they actually slow digestion and help you feel fuller longer.

I've never heard that bananas are constipating.