WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• icubsn98
    icubsn98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Let me try this again...I lost the page right in the middle of my last post. Thank you so much for all of the warm welcomes. I am looking forward to getting to know each of you better and becoming a source of support and encouragement to others as you have been for me this week.

I certainly agree about the metabolism slow down...It seems I have to work SO HARD to lose one pound compared to just a few years ago. I guess this is one of the reasons I just kept giving up. However, I have realized that even if the lbs don't budge, I must continue to provide my body with healthy food and activity to keep me healthy.

I have made really good choices so far and have worked out each morning...The scale moved 1 1/2 lbs from the weekend, but nothing in the last day. I know I'm being impatient and just need to keep pushing. Your success stories show me that I can also lose this weight, even if my metabolism has taken a nose dive.

Congrats to all of your successes this week. I look forward to hearing more.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Happy to report a 30 minute interval routine completed on the elliptical. When I came back to MFP I could only do a slow 1 mile on it and now I am up to 1.5 miles in the same amount of time.

A friend gave me her Leslie Sansone WATP DVD and I will do that later today.

I may try to go out and do some shoveling so husband can make it out of the driveway and get to work today. Hopefully the salt truck will come out and salt our roads today. I'm really getting Cabin Fever. This is my bowling day and we had to cancel due to icy conditions.

Well, new and old, Hang in there do one day at a time and keep positive thoughts!

Cindy
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning! DH bought me my morning coffee (bless his heart, he does this for me every day - a wonderful little pleasure) and I just wanted to snuggle under the covers and stay there for the day. Fortunately I didn't, I got up and went for my early morning therapy appointment and then went for a good walk down by the river - without even jumping in!

Visited mum in law at the nursing home, who is not doing so well. I spent an hour and a half with her and felt that I should have stayed with her longer, but just couldn't face any more than that - plus, my dad started ringing me on my mobile phone, wanting me to go to him.

I've just got home and feel as if I've been up for a week! I've got to get my act together and go shopping before I go to my group meeting this evening. Maybe I need a kick up the bum!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well. Thinking about you all.

Amanda x
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :blushing: psss :flowerforyou: Good morning,

welcome ksnj2--there I can see better and remember better at 9:30 than at 2:20:laugh:

anyway --Have a good one everyone!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ksnj2
    ksnj2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Please call me Kathy! :smile: I'm home today, about 12 inches of snow on the ground, nothing compared to the storm that blew through here after Christmas but enough for my boss to tell us not to come in and for the gym to close. These are the challenging days. Maybe a walk to the food store and I'll make a healthy dinner for when my husband gets home. He is usually the one that cooks but with the storm he got stuck at the firehouse until later ...... so ......

The healthiest EASIEST comfort food (it is snowing out) to make would be???? :bigsmile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    good morning all, I am still sick but I will at least walk/jog for 3 miles today on the treadmill and I will do my 50 squats, 50 crunches and 10 pushups at a minimum. the scale just keeps creeping up and up. I am so frustrated. I just don't want to update the ticker yet because i think it will go down.

I have a phone interview again this week. I hope something good come of it.

Much love to all of you.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Hello as I am dashing about. I worked 9 to 10:30 yesterday so I am off today and I will open to close Thursday.:noway: I will try to pop in for a proper chat later.
    Before I run....

Robin, Good luck on your phone interview. My fingers are crossed.:flowerforyou:

Peggy
  • debieanne
    Options
    :glasses: good afternoon have to put sun glasses the snow is so white my 11 year old just read our stick and we are up to 18 inches wow.and a few more to come its the cloud kind for us so we are having fun hope everyones day is going good anyone else having this weather . ok kids calling takening more pics outside debi(momof10)
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Afternoon ladies,

Did some snow shoveling. I am glad it is melting. Enjoyed looking at it but have cabin fever really bad. I need to go to the library but will probably wait until tomorrow.

Vacuumed the house this morning too. Do any of you list that as exercise?

Cindy
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    "The healthiest EASIEST comfort food (it is snowing out) to make would be???? " - To me the best snow comfort food is homemade soup or stew. There are a lot of ways to make them healthy and full of good veggies. A cup of tea or hot chocolate helps too.

On making soups - I start mine one day and finish them the next so that I can skim all the fat out of the broth/stock. I cook a potato and a carrot with the meat and use a soup strainer from the last century (really it was my grandmother's) to strain the veggies in the stock. Salt is not added until day two to be sure that it really needs it and I'm just not throwing it in. I had a great soup yesterday that had zucchini in it. I have to get the recipe from a co-worker. It was really good.

Take care all of you in the snow storms that seem to be everywhere but here.

Jeannie
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Jeannie: I agree about soup on cold wintry days. I always have to make vegetable beef soup for the first real snow. I just remember having that a lot as a child and it makes me happy!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hi Cindy and other!:happy:
    yes you can list under cleaning..when going under the excercise icon put cleaning in your search engine window.

It's definitely burning calories and very long at it is cardio.

Soup--hmm Jeannie. that sounds good.:flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

Robin--feel better and I hope your interview is productive for you:flowerforyou:

Hmmmm- there was someone else...I think my late night is affecting my memory..again...I am batting 0 here and it isn't even baseball season.:laugh:

Ok..I'll stop again for now...because I am rambling:bigsmile:

I'll pop back in later....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry: even though the temperature was above freezing overnight, our driveway and the steep road in front of our house were glare ice and even DH who learned to drive on icy roads in Ohio, said it was too dangerous even for him to drive so I missed my line dance class......so I had my own class here......I had the step sheet and a YouTube video of the new dance that was being taught so I could make an effort to teach it to myself so I won't be so far behind next week.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: by 2 PM the ice had melted enough so we could go to the dog park and give the girls a chance to run and play and then we ran our errands including picking up the prescription for the prep for colonoscopy.:grumble:

:bigsmile: now we're in for the rest of the day and night and hoping that it will stay warm enough to have no ice tomorrow morning when I go to line dance.

:flowerforyou: I don't do a lot of housecleaning but when i do, I always count it as exercise just like walking up and down the hall and dancing and jogging in front of the TV and working in the yard and anything else that burns calories......not all exercise has to be the classic stuff workouts like you do at the gym or exercise class
    remember "if you're movin' you're losin' :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:yawn: Lynn, I was awake in the middle of the night, too, so I read my book for awhile until I got sleepy again

:flowerforyou: Robin, good luck on your job interview

:flowerforyou: Kathy from NJ, we lived in New Jersey when I was in high school and I remember walking to school in deep snow.......the dog used to bury bones in the snow in the back yard and be surprised to find them when the snow melted in the spring.......I agree with the others that soup or stew is a good cold weather comfort food (macaroni and cheese would be good, too, except for all the fat and simple carbs :laugh: :laugh: )
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep! (You've probably heard that before.)

I just got back from seeing a sports medicine doctor. He thinks I've just got scar tissue and I just need to work through it with exercise and not be afraid of the pain. So he basically wants me to keep doing what I was doing while training for my Ironman up until the part where everything started falling apart (Sept) and I really backed off.

So I'm back to full exercising. Or at least I'm going to start that process. I won't jump into a full load tomorrow! :laugh: But I am going swimming today, will try to run tomorrow or Friday and will bike on Sat. and figure skate on Sunday and see what happens.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Evening all,

Mac, glad to hear you have the OK for more strenuous work outs. It is hard to picture you sitting still.

RJ, how dod the interview go?

Barbie, the prep is not that bad if you carefully follow the instructions. My sister did not do this and had a very unpleasant time.
    I was much more careful and really did not find it too much of an inconvience. I did drink water as long as it was allowed.

I too believe in applied exercise. I do not include a light cleaning, I do include washing and buffing the hardwood floor in the great room. I do include hauling firewood if I am filling the rack. I do include heavy farm and garden work. Hauling wood chips for mulch and the like. I am so fortunate to still be able to lift, move and do hard physical work. I workout every day, to keep my physical abilities, and improve my mental atitude.

Amanda, you are a continuing inspiration. I hope the surgery plans work out for the best. I am so glad to hear the little ones are doing so well.

I agree with you all on soup as a comfort food. I adore soup of all varieties. The more vegetables the better.

Tonights dinner was tuna steak 3oz., Sweet potato med. baked, steamed italian vegetables 1.50cups, 1 Roma tomato cross sliced ,fannedand broiled, 2 slices lemon,1/2 pat butter, 2oz. Alice white chardonay, and a large glass of water. I feel so spoiled! I do so love to cook! I also do love to eat what I cook, but it need not be fattening

On that note I am off for my night rounds and then off to the land of nod. My very best wishes and thoughts to all of you I have not mentioned, I value each and everyone of you! Onward and upward, Alice
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    It is just way too cold for my taste. Our pipes froze today, but we just finally got the water working again. I want to see double digits on the thermometer again! Otherwise, I'm fine here, and still pegging along. Hope all of you are having a good day.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi there.....miss me? bumpity bump.....

I lurk so now and then, not posting, not logging.....what on earth is the matter with me......I don't know.....I am hibernating and wishing for spring, so I can ride my bike!

:heart: :heart: the Rebel :heart: :heart:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi there.....miss me? bumpity bump.....

I lurk so now and then, not posting, not logging.....what on earth is the matter with me......I don't know.....I am hibernating and wishing for spring, so I can ride my bike!

:heart: :heart: the Rebel :heart: :heart:

I did that for a while for various reasons, some good, some flimsy, but have taken the new year as an opportunity to get back to it. Care to join me?
  • joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    I like chili as comfort food. You can health it up using ground turkey or just stick with the beans. The problem is not making corn bread to go with it.

Watching the weather channel, I'm astounded at the weather that some of you are having. I grew up in NJ and remember only a few sporadic winters that were this bad. I also, couldn't help but wonder how the early settlers managed in colonial times....
    And I won't mention what kind of weather we've been having here in SoCal -- since you are all new friends, I don't want to alienate myself. :laugh:

Robin, hope that interview goes well. Sending positive vibes your way.

I'm tired. I've been going to bed waaay too late every night. So I'm keeping it short in hopes that I can finish up my paperwork and head for bed. Came in under calories tonight but no energy to exercise.

Joy
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi all

:flowerforyou: Robin hope you are feeling much better and good luck with the interview

:flowerforyou: Lynn I walk more than run :bigsmile: :bigsmile: but I am getting there (very slowly) I've managed to jog/walk at lunchtime twice this week and I'll definitely be running tomorrow, so might have a walk at lunchtime, take it easy a bit. Think I might have lost another llb but I'll know for certain on Saturday morning weigh in.

:frown: I am so fed up with this cold weather, roll on spring, these dark damp days are so depressing.

:flowerforyou: Sorry this is all I have time for this morning, time is getting on, take care everyone, and take care all those who are "snowed in"

Viv x