People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Probably wasting my time saying this but going to say it any way.

What is healthy food? If you read magazines or watch television health foods are vegetables, fruits, whole foods, lean meats. A healthy diet is brown rice broccoli and chicken breast.

Here is the thing though, that isn't what defines a healthy diet. What defines a healthy diet is getting all the dietary requirements your body needs, both macro and micro, while being aware of your caloric intake to achieve your goal be it maintenance loss or gain.

Those magazine suggested "healthy" foods are great advice if you struggle with eating far to much calorically in order to feel satisfied. However, if you try to make that all you eat you will probably be stuffed before you get the nutrition you need. This makes your diet unhealthy. Yes, that is right, I called the perfect diet of chicken brown rice and veg unhealthy because frankly if that diet makesbit impossible for you to eat enough then it IS unhealthy.

Those sort of diet suggestions are meant as substitions to get your diet under control and balanced, they are not meant to be the only things you eat. Can only eat 1000 calories before feeling stuffed? Figure you are being healthy because you are only eating things like chicken broccoli and brown rice but arent actually tracking your nutrition? Then replace the broen rice with pasta, butter up that broccoli and pour a nice sauce over that dry chicken. It isn't that hard and more to the point...it is healthier.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 a day and don't feel the need to eat any more. I don't get "hungry" after that. But i'm not "so full that I CAN'T eat any more." It's all a matter of if you NEED to :)

Are you meeting your micro and macro nutrient requirements? Grams of protein? Grams of fat? Iron?

Actually, I am. I usually exceed my protein and meet my fat and everything else. I eat whole food and try to live a healthy lifestyle. Like right now I'm completely full and I'm not even at my goal of 1310 yet. :) It's all about your own body and what works for it.
    Out of curiosity, what is the protein and fat goal in grams per day you are set at?

Protein is at 66 and fat is at 44. I most of the time exceed fat but almost ALWAYS exceed protein (trying to build lean muscle as well). I basically go for foods with high amounts of protein, and I try to go for the healthy fats.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 a day and don't feel the need to eat any more. I don't get "hungry" after that. But i'm not "so full that I CAN'T eat any more." It's all a matter of if you NEED to :)

Are you meeting your micro and macro nutrient requirements? Grams of protein? Grams of fat? Iron?

Actually, I am. I usually exceed my protein and meet my fat and everything else. I eat whole food and try to live a healthy lifestyle. Like right now I'm completely full and I'm not even at my goal of 1310 yet. :) It's all about your own body and what works for it.
    Out of curiosity, what is the protein and fat goal in grams per day you are set at?

Protein is at 66 and fat is at 44. I most of the time exceed fat but almost ALWAYS exceed protein (trying to build lean muscle as well). I basically go for foods with high amounts of protein, and I try to go for the healthy fats.

Unless you're exceeding protein by 30-40 grams it's probably not enough to maintain your muscle. You should be aiming for .8 grams per pound of body weight, and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight.

I'm 125 lbs and my protein goal is 110.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Macros sound okay to me if you are exceeding those values by a good amount (like 90g protein). No way you are building muscle at 1310 cals a day though, muscle building requires an energy surplus and that you don't have. From what you said I assume you are exercising. Are you exercising on top of of eating 1300 calories and not eating more to sustain your workouts?

I am currently losing over a pound a week while weight lifting and eating 200g of protein and I am not building any muscle.
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options

You are the exception, not the rule, that being said I am so sorry for your medical conditions you have described here. My aunt developed an ed after being on prednisone because it caused moon face and a whole bunch of weight gain. She needed the medicine to keep her body from rejecting her newly transplanted kidney but she seriously put her looks before her health and stopped taking her meds. Her new kidney was shot almost immediately. She finally grew up a bit or got over the weight gain and received another kidney and is taking her meds like she should and she's doing wonderful. I have never been on the meds myself but as someone with a previous history of anorexia I can certainly sympathize with what your going through. It seems you now have the right frame of mind now, better to be alive than fit, 100% yes!!! I hope the absolute best for you regarding your health. Best wishes :flowerforyou:

Thank you, that's extremely nice of you :) I'm very glad to hear your aunt is doing better. Prednisone is an awful med, and I hope I never have to be put on it again, but if it happens, it happens. I hope she lives happily and healthy with her new kidney and good luck to you on your journey, too.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    . Some people have small appetites, I get it, but it's kind of a slap in the face to those of us who are trying really hard not to overshoot our numbers.

No it is not a slap in the face to you or the OP or anyone else.

If people are having the opposite issue to you, that doesn't mean any such thing.

In order to count calories and hit 800/1000 cals, you would have to intentionally avoid high calorie items. It just seems like the easiest problem on the planet to solve. It would be like complaining that I'm too rich. :sad:

I'm sorry, that's untrue. I had McDonalds for breakfast and pizza for dinner - I came in just at 1100. I get full very quickly. What else would you suggest I do? I ate about 3 hours ago and I'm still very full feeling. If I tried to eat more right now, I'd end up with a belly ache. I suppose that's preferable than............what?

It's not like complaining that you're rich, it's just an issue that's different from your issue. One issue is not more worthy of support and guidance than the other. They are just different.

What did you eat a mcdonalds? I get at sausage egg and cheese biscuit and an oj and am hitting 600 or 700

Preferable to losing lean body mass, including bone density.

My recommendation? Dark chocolate covered cashews. Fat, protein, iron, potassium, yummium
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    Options

Macros sound okay to me if you are exceeding those values by a good amount (like 90g protein). No way you are building muscle at 1310 cals a day though, muscle building requires an energy surplus and that you don't jave. From what you said I assume you are exercising. Are you exercising on top of of eating 1300 calories and not eating more to sustain your workouts?

I DO eat my calories back after I exercise. No way am I going to burn a thousand calories hiking and NOT eat it back, that's COMPLETELY unhealthy. And I'm not trying to bulk up or anything, but just become more athletic and leaner.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You are the exception, not the rule, that being said I am so sorry for your medical conditions you have described here. My aunt developed an ed after being on prednisone because it caused moon face and a whole bunch of weight gain. She needed the medicine to keep her body from rejecting her newly transplanted kidney but she seriously put her looks before her health and stopped taking her meds. Her new kidney was shot almost immediately. She finally grew up a bit or got over the weight gain and received another kidney and is taking her meds like she should and she's doing wonderful. I have never been on the meds myself but as someone with a previous history of anorexia I can certainly sympathize with what your going through. It seems you now have the right frame of mind now, better to be alive than fit, 100% yes!!! I hope the absolute best for you regarding your health. Best wishes :flowerforyou:

Thank you, that's extremely nice of you :) I'm very glad to hear your aunt is doing better. Prednisone is an awful med, and I hope I never have to be put on it again, but if it happens, it happens. I hope she lives happily and healthy with her new kidney and good luck to you on your journey, too.

Prednisone totally sucks. Sometimes you've got to ride the wave.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Well done on the dedication...
  • likitisplit
    Options

Macros sound okay to me if you are exceeding those values by a good amount (like 90g protein). No way you are building muscle at 1310 cals a day though, muscle building requires an energy surplus and that you don't jave. From what you said I assume you are exercising. Are you exercising on top of of eating 1300 calories and not eating more to sustain your workouts?

I DO eat my calories back after I exercise. No way am I going to burn a thousand calories hiking and NOT eat it back, that's COMPLETELY unhealthy. And I'm not trying to bulk up or anything, but just become more athletic and leaner.

The most efficient way to reach those particular goals is to eat at a moderate deficit and do a progressive resistance program.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My net calorie goal is 1300, although with the amount of activity I do I consume somewhere between 1700-2000 calories a day. While I'm never, EVER too full to eat my calories, some days I just get weary of trying to juggle the calories and macros and making good choices. Like today, my goal is 2035 and I have almost 500 calories left to eat, and that's AFTER eating a filling and nutritious lunch AND dinner AND a piece of cake for dessert. It's 9:30 p.m. and I just lack the brain power to figure out what else to eat to fit my macros and that I feel like eating and that isn't full of sugar.

I'll do it... but for once, I sympathize with not wanting to eat any more!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    . Some people have small appetites, I get it, but it's kind of a slap in the face to those of us who are trying really hard not to overshoot our numbers.

No it is not a slap in the face to you or the OP or anyone else.

If people are having the opposite issue to you, that doesn't mean any such thing.

In order to count calories and hit 800/1000 cals, you would have to intentionally avoid high calorie items. It just seems like the easiest problem on the planet to solve. It would be like complaining that I'm too rich. :sad:

I'm sorry, that's untrue. I had McDonalds for breakfast and pizza for dinner - I came in just at 1100. I get full very quickly. What else would you suggest I do? I ate about 3 hours ago and I'm still very full feeling. If I tried to eat more right now, I'd end up with a belly ache. I suppose that's preferable than............what?

It's not like complaining that you're rich, it's just an issue that's different from your issue. One issue is not more worthy of support and guidance than the other. They are just different.

What did you eat a mcdonalds? I get at sausage egg and cheese biscuit and an oj and am hitting 600 or 700

Egg McMuffin and a caramel fancy coffee something. The McMuffins are 290, the coffee was 50something (I didn't drink much of it).
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Well that is good you eat them back, I do have to ask though because believe me there are plenty of people who do not.

As a woman you are not going to bulk up even if you tried your hardest to do so. If you lift weights and eat enough protein at a calorie deficit most you can hope for is no muscle loss and some strength gains. No chance for building muscle size.

Thats not necessarily a bad thing but you shouldn't expect to gain lean mass eating so little.

If you arr doing a lot of exercise I imagine you are actually eating like 1800 a day and quite possibly getting all your nutrients so actually might be fine. Iron is something many people don't get enough of especially women so I'd keep an eye on that. Better to have that tracked than "sugar" imo.
  • stuart160
    Options
    Great quote on lifestyle, not diet.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    Options

The most efficient way to reach those particular goals is to eat at a moderate deficit and do a progressive resistance program.

And I am :) I do Abs Monday, Arms Tues, Legs Wed, Rest, then repeat for fri sat and sun. I have resistance bands, dumbbells, new running shoes, a new bike, and a bunch of hiking stuff and etc exercise stuff. Thanks for your concern/help, though! :)
  • stuart160
    Options
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    Options

Thanks ^_^ It's just that after a diet, things go back to normal. I want a new healthy lifestyle of good foods and exercise to be a LIFESTYLE. Diets don't last.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My net calorie goal is 1300, although with the amount of activity I do I consume somewhere between 1700-2000 calories a day. While I'm never, EVER too full to eat my calories, some days I just get weary of trying to juggle the calories and macros and making good choices. Like today, my goal is 2035 and I have almost 500 calories left to eat, and that's AFTER eating a filling and nutritious lunch AND dinner AND a piece of cake for dessert. It's 9:30 p.m. and I just lack the brain power to figure out what else to eat to fit my macros and that I feel like eating and that isn't full of sugar.

I'll do it... but for once, I sympathize with not wanting to eat any more!

Whole milk. Pistachios.