People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    And on this site I actually find there's a lot of encouragement to eat a lot of calories. I find myself thinking whether I should put mine up pretty often, and I normally eat at least 1500, just because there's so much advocation of high calories, then I think why change what's been working for me for months.
    Yeah, it's like a badge of honor here... how many calories you CAN eat and still lose weight. It's a little caveman-like-- "Me big, go gym long hours, eat bacon, lift, me macho! You bad who do yoga and eat salad! Bad, lazy, old, little female!" :laugh:

Omg! This made my morning lol

If you guys seriously consider 1500 calories to be "high" I think you have a very skewed idea about how much energy your body requires and what a calorie is.

People get overweight when they don't pay attention to their calories, in otherwords they don't realize how much they are eating. To get fat most people have to eat something like 3000 calories with a fair amount of frequency and most people can lose weight eating 2000 calories as a result (slowly lose weight). You can try to lose more weight by going lower sure but to those who go to 1200 you are honestly causing yourself more harm than good.

People telling you this aren't being macho they are telling you the truth.
    I don't think she meant 1500 is 'high' but that is at least a non-controversial calorie level here.

If you think people need to eat 3000 calories to get fat and that everyone can lose at 2000, I suggest you plug some values besides your own into a BMR/TDEE calculator. Tell it you're female, age 60, 5'3", 130lbs. with a desk job. That TDEE is 1356 a day. That person would gain at 1500. Not everyone is you.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    And on this site I actually find there's a lot of encouragement to eat a lot of calories. I find myself thinking whether I should put mine up pretty often, and I normally eat at least 1500, just because there's so much advocation of high calories, then I think why change what's been working for me for months.
    Yeah, it's like a badge of honor here... how many calories you CAN eat and still lose weight. It's a little caveman-like-- "Me big, go gym long hours, eat bacon, lift, me macho! You bad who do yoga and eat salad! Bad, lazy, old, little female!" :laugh:

What's wrong with finding one can eat MORE (than extra low calorie) and still lose? That's exactly what I'm working on doing (former low calorie yo-yo dieter). I'm up to 1550/day average, trying out 1600-1650/day starting next Monday for the next 3 weeks or more, to see what that yields.

Oh, and I strength train, and eat bacon nearly daily, lol. It's a broad brushstroke to label that "machoism". I call it "learning to eat moderately again", so once my weight/size goal is met, I'm just about eating at maintenance.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you can get away with a lower calorie, higher fiber diet if you are less active.

My motto however is "Fuel and Train. Don't diet and exercise." I LIKE using my body and doing cool things.

Additionally, I've found that weight loss and maintenance exist in calorie bands. For instance, I'll maintain my weight over a period of 12 weeks eating at either 2050 calories or 2400 calories. I've found that I'm more likely to gain muscle and lose fat eating at the higher end of the band. Also chocolate chip cookies. Why would you eat less than you have to?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I do find it interesting that a lot of people think the minimum amount of calories should be the same for someone that is 5' or 6' tall.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

5 - they have other deep seeded emotional and psychological issues
    So when my stomach says, "I'm not hungry anymore," it's because of one of those five reasons and it can't possibly be because I just simply have a small appetite?

No you can be legitimately full. It is knowing that you need to eat more and yet not doing so because you are just "so full" that means you have some sort of issue. If you need to eat more you should eat more regardless of how "full" you feel. If you are constantly feeling "full" without eating enough calories then you need to make changes to your food choices so that that stops happening.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Omg! This made my morning lol

If you guys seriously consider 1500 calories to be "high" I think you have a very skewed idea about how much energy your body requires and what a calorie is.

People get overweight when they don't pay attention to their calories, in otherwords they don't realize how much they are eating. To get fat most people have to eat something like 3000 calories with a fair amount of frequency and most people can lose weight eating 2000 calories as a result (slowly lose weight). You can try to lose more weight by going lower sure but to those who go to 1200 you are honestly causing yourself more harm than good.

People telling you this aren't being macho they are telling you the truth.
    I don't think she meant 1500 is 'high' but that is at least a non-controversial calorie level here.

If you think people need to eat 3000 calories to get fat and that everyone can lose at 2000, I suggest you plug some values besides your own into a BMR/TDEE calculator. Tell it you're female, age 60, 5'3", 130lbs. with a desk job. That TDEE is 1356 a day. That person would gain at 1500. Not everyone is you.

I did not say everyone I said most people and I stick by that. Look up the average persons stats and plug those into that calculator. There is a reason that the daily nutrition values are based on a 2000 calorie diet and I was making the assumption that people who want to lose weight are on average heavier than the general population.
  • miss_mckenna
    miss_mckenna Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't do 1200 calories to save my life. I need at least 1500 or I'm going to murder everyone in sight because I'm so HANGRY. However, everyone is different. So, don't be discouraged. Eat enough to not be HANGRY and get some sweat time in, you'll lose weight in no time.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If I eat 800 calories and feel full, it probably was after a 2000 calorie day eating half a watermelon, 2 salads, a huge stir fry and other misc. items that are low calorie but huge volume

haha, true~
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

What's wrong with finding one can eat MORE (than extra low calorie) and still lose? That's exactly what I'm working on doing (former low calorie yo-yo dieter). I'm up to 1550/day average, trying out 1600-1650/day starting next Monday for the next 3 weeks or more, to see what that yields.

Oh, and I strength train, and eat bacon nearly daily, lol. It's a broad brushstroke to label that "machoism". I call it "learning to eat moderately again", so once my weight/size goal is met, I'm just about eating at maintenance.

Seriously. Eating as much as you can and still lose weight sounds like a good idea to me. Certainly better than to try to eat as little as you can.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 a day and don't feel the need to eat any more. I don't get "hungry" after that. But i'm not "so full that I CAN'T eat any more." It's all a matter of if you NEED to :)
  • albayin
    Options
    They are lying. I eat that many calories a day every day and I am hungry and cranky all the time.

What have we got to gain from lying???

Not saying who's lying and right or wrong...I do agree with Dr. House on this "Everybody lies. The difference is what we lie about". People lie, with or without obvious intentions.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 a day and don't feel the need to eat any more. I don't get "hungry" after that. But i'm not "so full that I CAN'T eat any more." It's all a matter of if you NEED to :)

Are you meeting your micro and macro nutrient requirements? Grams of protein? Grams of fat? Iron?
  • albayin
    Options
    I try to avoid the "if it worked for me it will work for you" type of comments but honestly I think that probably is universal. Less fiber, more fat = more calories, less full.

An honest question: have you tried eating that way hence conclusion or did you just assume?

I tried eating that way to start. Had my net goal set at 1500 and ate very little carbs, lots of lean protein with a lot of veg. My fat intake was very low. I struggled to eat even 1500 doing that.

I mean honestly you don't even have to try it to understand that trying to eat a significant amount of calories from vegetables is going to physically fill your stomach. I've never felt "cravings" for food that people describe so that was never a driver for me. If I felt full then eating more was unappealing. Now I DID force myself to eat to reach my goal but after talking more on the forums I decided to up my calorie goal and ease back on the veg and lean protein and diversify a bit more.

you confused me, sorry. I quoted you and asked the quesiton on this specific statement you made: Less fiber, more fat = more calories, less full.

But you said your fat intake was very low...it does sound different approach....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I did not say everyone I said most people and I stick by that. Look up the average persons stats and plug those into that calculator.
    But you're also saying people trying to lose at 1200-1500 are misinformed and people telling them to eat more are just trying to educate them. The assumption seems to be that those of us who aren't the 'average person' are ... I'm not sure. Uninformed? Not here? Supposed to eat higher because it's easier for you to dispense advice to an 'average person'?

There's nothing wrong with trying to eat all you can while still losing weight, if that's your choice. Why is there something wrong with eating 1200-1500, if that's someone's choice? It's not unsafe, despite popular opinion. It's not overly aggressive for many.
  • CLA1134
    CLA1134 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Going to throw this out there. They could be new and still trying to figure everything out. Mine is set to 1220 based on the info I entered here. I didn't adjust it because I am still learning and finding what works best for me.

I spend most of my day sitting, teaching my kids, so I don't burn nearly as much as a person who works out a lot or has a job that requires a lot of activity.

I will tell you, it wasn't easy the first bit but now it's not bad. I don't feel screaming hunger and I don't over-stuff myself. Some days cravings and hunger are more intense then others, some days I go over, some under, it just depends on what food I have access to. Honestly, some days I forget to eat, that's nothing new and I know it's not good.

I agree with the over or under estimating being a possibility. I don't have access to the tools you need in the kitchen to more accurately measure food. I have to make my best guess and hope I'm close. I could be drastically underestimating, though I don't think so.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

5 - they have other deep seeded emotional and psychological issues
    So when my stomach says, "I'm not hungry anymore," it's because of one of those five reasons and it can't possibly be because I just simply have a small appetite?

No you can be legitimately full. It is knowing that you need to eat more and yet not doing so because you are just "so full" that means you have some sort of issue. If you need to eat more you should eat more regardless of how "full" you feel. If you are constantly feeling "full" without eating enough calories then you need to make changes to your food choices so that that stops happening.
    And that is how people end up overweight. Eating when not hungry is not really the best idea. And when the very thought of putting another bite into my mouth makes me want to throw up because I am not hungry anymore, I'm not going to eat more.

I've never been a big eater. Ever. And I've also never been bigger than a size 12, which for me is quite large. I was a size 6 at most until I was almost 30 years old. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. But do I REALLY need to? No. Because I don't eat when I'm not hungry.

All the people I ever knew who ate when they weren't hungry have been seriously overweight most of their lives.

And I've also always been healthy, with my bloodwork from every doctor's visit coming back showing that I am getting the nutrients I need.

If people want to and are able to eat more and achieve the results they want, good for them. I'm not sure, though, why you all feel the need to put down people who live differently, though.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: (damn, I cant get the quotes to work today)

[/quote]
    "But you're also saying people trying to lose at 1200-1500 are misinformed and people telling them to eat more are just trying to educate them. The assumption seems to be that those of us who aren't the 'average person' are ... I'm not sure. Uninformed? Not here? Supposed to eat higher because it's easier for you to dispense advice to an 'average person'?

There's nothing wrong with trying to eat all you can while still losing weight, if that's your choice. Why is there something wrong with eating 1200-1500, if that's someone's choice? It's not unsafe, despite popular opinion. It's not overly aggressive for many."
    [/quote]
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different so you shouldn't compare yourself to others. If you stopped eating every few hours and began to eat only once or twice a day, your body would adjust to that. If you start eating small meals throughout the day, then you'll be hungry every few hours. I know because I've done both. I personally don't like eating small meals throughout the day because it takes too much preparation and if I didn't eat every 3 hours I would get cranky and light headed. Frankly, eating that much is annoying. I lowered my intake of carbs just a little bit and increased my protein and fat and that stopped. When you eat a lot of carbs it spikes your blood sugar and then when it comes down, you're starving again like you never ate in the first place. I can eat 3 square meals a day and be satiated for 5-6 hours at a time.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different... there's no point in comparing yourself to anyone else and beating yourself up.

Focus on what works best for you and stick with it.
    great reply! I agree, why compare? Each of our bodies is different.
    if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig
    That sounds like more of a self esteem issue of your own than an issue that can be fixed if the rest of us eat more food.

Also your normal may not be someone else's...the word normal is pretty relative.

Comparing yourself to anyone else on the board will only make you feel less than. If what you're doing is working for you, keep it up and that might help you not feel the need to worry so much about the rest of us.

I'm sorry you feel like a disgusting un-womanly pig, I really doubt that you are. Focus on the positives on the boards and your mind will follow!