Boyfriend's Mom Is Unreasonable. Help?

Options

Replies

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think that this thread is going to head in the same direction of the "my hubby isn't attracted to me anymore" thread that happened a few days ago.

Some subjects just aren't compatible with weight loss websites, I assume it's because members are hungry and grumpy.

OP, I suggest you head over to a 'real' relationship website such as loveshack.org
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I guess it's true trial and error are the only way to learn for some people. As I said, been there and done that. You're either goiing to split up (he will dump you because Mommy told him to) or you will stay together and and she will make your lives miserable. It's really your choice.

At 19, kids are testing the world and asserting independence. It's normal. Good parents let them do so. Controlling people don't just stop being controlling.

Anyway, since my experienced advice isn't welcome, good luck.
    I welcome your advice. I just thought you'd have to like your mom to have a complex like that. But I still don't think he has one, haha. I do greatly appreciate your advice though so thank you (:

@Itsfun- I've not posted anything else. Thanks for your input.

Actually, yes you have. People corrected your kettlebell stance (that photo is in your gallery) in the first thread. You were on my fl for a while. So. Yeah.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I think that this thread is going to head in the same direction of the "my hubby isn't attracted to me anymore" thread that happened a few days ago.

Some subjects just aren't compatible with weight loss websites, I assume it's because members are hungry and grumpy.

OP, I suggest you head over to a 'real' relationship website such as loveshack.org
    Lol the "hangry" people?

To everyone: Thank you for being honest, helpful and with a bit of sarcasm. I appreciate it.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can't change her, you can't change him. The only thing you have control over is your response.
    Don't start a fight with her, you'll never win.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

Actually, yes you have. People corrected your kettlebell stance (that photo is in your gallery) in the first thread. You were on my fl for a while. So. Yeah.
    I meant in regards to my relationships. And I corrected my stance in that. o.o
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If he's living with his mom and she's basically taking care of him right now, I'm not sure you're going to win this battle.
    That's what I don't get. Don't parents want their kids to make decisions for themselves?

Most parents, yes. But then everyone is different? I wish I had an answer for you concerning it but as someone else said, you can't change either of them. I do hope it works out for you regardless!

Also, thanks for the friend request. :smile:
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a 19yr old daughter who still lives with me and a 20yr old son who lives in a home I am paying for in the next town over.

While I don't mind if they date, I DO still set rules and they DO follow them. When they are both making their own money and paying their own bills they can do as they please.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You're adults, act accordingly.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    I have an 18 yr old son & 25 yr old daughter.
    I've lived through both sides of the coin & soooooo agree with above quote.
    OP, Good luck :drinker:

ETA: both of my children live with me, both go to school & work, both pay their own cell phones & car insurance. It occurs to me, this may make a difference.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I meant in regards to my relationships. And I corrected my stance in that. o.o

:huh: I very clearly remember you posting about your relationships because in those threads, people took time to tell you not to swing the kettlebell above your head - that was your profile picture at the time. After the first thread, you sent me a friend request. You were on my FL until you made the second post a month later.

My point in saying this... it's a pattern displaying emotional immaturity from a lot of different parties. Just allow yourself to be young. Date. Go out. Have fun. It's entirely possible this dude is using his mom as an excuse to extract himself from the relationship.
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If he's living with his mom and she's basically taking care of him right now, I'm not sure you're going to win this battle.
    That's what I don't get. Don't parents want their kids to make decisions for themselves?

Not until he is living by himself , i believe.
  • missjay001
    missjay001 Posts: 24
    Options
    Here's my honest opinion: I agree with the mom on this one. I believe that until a kid is out of the house, has graduated, found a decent job and makes enough money to take care of themselves and a potential baby (just in case) then they can't a girlfriend or boyfriend.

Right now you need to focus on your education and career. Crying over a boy at this age is not worth it because 10 years from now you might look back and wonder why you ever bothered with him. Because your taste in men would have changed / evolved. And also because right now, it's not easy to tell which boy will turn into a real man and which boy will stay a boy. And you don't wanna be stuck with the wrong one.
    So you feel they aren't allowed to go on dates or see people? I'm not trying to argue, just understand your point of view. I turn 20 this year and well, I feel like experiences should be encouraged as long as you have guidance because in their household it's "mom is always right or you get out." That doesn't make for good decision making, in my opinion. I understand I need to focus on college and I am but I also believe that there needs to be a barrier between school and play for forming relationships aids in that.

No worries, it's good that you came here to ask questions. And to answer your question: No I don't believe in parents who think it's their way, or the highway. Debates / conversations need to happen just like we are having here. Compromises need to be made where the parents / kids win some battles but lose others, ...?

And there's a lot of other experiences that can be encouraged such as traveling, working, starting a small business, socializing with friends, volunteering, ....

But for sexual experiences, I still think that it's best to wait until you are financially independent. And you sound like a smart kid, so it might take you only a couple years. is a couple years going to kill you ? And trust me you will still have plenty of time / opportunities to experience, make mistakes and learn from them. The difference is you will suffer a softet landing as you will have the maturity, independence, and $$$ to fix / deal with the mistakes / consequences however, whenever you want it.

Neither one of them is a prostitute (to my knowledge) so what does financial independence have to do with sex???

OP, your boyfriend has a couple of choices. (A) Listen to his mom and follow her rules. If he does this, you need to move on as it won't end well for you. (B) He has a job, so theoretically, he can move out and stop letting Mommy make his decisions. But that's up to him.

I think it's ridiculous that his mom exerts this type of control over him, but if he's not willing to stand up to her, there is not a thing you can do about it. It's really up to him from here.

I think the whole thing about you can't have sex before you are financially independent is because of unplanned pregnancy. I am guessing where they come from there is no such thing as birth control or safe sex!!

I guess where you come from birth control is 100% effective ! Smdh
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    :huh: I very clearly remember you posting about your relationships because in those threads, people took time to tell you not to swing the kettlebell above your head - that was your profile picture at the time. After the first thread, you sent me a friend request. You were on my FL until you made the second post a month later.

My point in saying this... it's a pattern displaying emotional immaturity from a lot of different parties. Just allow yourself to be young. Date. Go out. Have fun. It's entirely possible this dude is using his mom as an excuse to extract himself from the relationship.
    Yes ma'am.

**Not trying to be snarky, btw but I feel like if read, it will come across that way**
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OP,

I seen a post where you said you never met his mom. Maybe that is the problem.

I hate to be the one to ask this because I hate it in general, but I have to just because I feel like it may be part of it, or could be, at least, because people suck. What race is your BF? PLEASE don't take this wrong, I am just asking because like I said, people suck.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Where is the trip to?
    Is she footing the bill?
    I was driving 2 hours to his house, we were going to a theme park 30 mins from his house. We both have jobs and are paying our own way.

then why do you need her permission?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    OP,

I hate to be the one to ask this because I hate it in general, but I have to just because I feel like it may be part of it, or could be, at least, because people suck. What race is your BF? PLEASE don't take this wrong, I am just asking because like I said, people suck.
    African american. I've been trying to meet her but she isn't willing.

@Hookilau- I dunno. He has to be allowed out of the house I guess? I don't have to have permission to go there. My mom said yes. but if he can't go, I just wasted a lot of gas and money, haha.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Lol. Get a new boyfriend that doesn't have mommy issues, imo.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OP,

African american. I've been trying to meet her but she isn't willing.

@Hookilau- I dunno. He has to be allowed out of the house I guess? I don't have to have permission to go there. My mom said yes. but if he can't go, I just wasted a lot of gas and money, haha.

Does he have any brothers who have had bad experiences with women that somehow set his life back (maybe a baby or something at a young age)? What if you just add her to something silly like Facebook to open the line of communication that way? Or call his house and tell him not to answer that way you can actually say "Hi" and "How are you" and introduce yourself? Or what if you just go over to his house to drop off something school related when she is home?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lol. Get a new boyfriend that doesn't have mommy issues, imo.

QFT X1000. You are having the same problem as you had before OP and you didn't listen to the advice given to you then. Why bother asking the same question now??
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

Does he have any brothers who have had bad experiences with women that somehow set his life back (maybe a baby or something at a young age)? What if you just add her to something silly like Facebook to open the line of communication that way? Or call his house and tell him not to answer that way you can actually say "Hi" and "How are you" and introduce yourself? Or what if you just go over to his house to drop off something school related when she is home?
    Not women issues but his siblings made crappy decisions

@Random- Because at one point she was being decent about it and it randomly changed. That's why.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    @Random- Because at one point she was being decent about it and it randomly changed. That's why.

Apparently not. *shrug* :ohwell: