WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi girls! Happy summer solstice for those who finding meaning in the day and who are inspired by nature’s rhythms.
    I should have kept my mouth shut about the weather; we emerged from the restaurant into a storm and by the time it ended, we had nearly 7 “ of rain!!! It came down in buckets! Our tree out front has some damage; looks like some is from the storm last weekend and some from last night. One of our awnings came out of the tracks too. Today it’s hot and very, very humid. I worked in the garden a bit and was dripping with sweat.

Dinner was fabulous; they have a new Indian fusion menu, so believe it or not I had a wonderful steak. DH had tandoori salmon which was magnificent! Tonight we are going to the Omaha Community playhouse to see Young Frankenstein…that was DH’s father’s day gift.

DrKatie: I’d say that was a victory too!

Cynthia: yes, Indian Indian, or as my dad would say, continental Indian. My friends had tandoori chicken and lamb and it was delicious too they said. I have the fitbit one….the one that tracks your sleep.

Sue: I see SD is getting some bad weather too and I hope you are clear of it.

Joyce; yes, brushing cat and dog teeth is important! Our cats do not have any claws and they don’t bite, so other than lots of squirming and fussing, it isn’t too hard. The “little” cat weighed 13.9 and the fat boy weighed 17.9 which was surprising…we though he was pushing 25!

Phyllis: what kind of appetizers do you make? We have started having “cocktail hour” once a week or so and I don’t really have good ideas for that.

Sylvia: both numbers of the BP are important, but the diastolic (bottom number) is more important in looking at how hard your heart is having to work. Glad DS is better. Great job on the steps! That was a great joke!

Jb: sorry about the hailstorm! We’ve had too much of that. Sending prayers to Mariah. I just can’t get over how cute the puppy pic is!!!!

Michele: yes that was me saying the older ladies seem to be more comfortable in their own bodies and don’t really care who sees them or what they think. I’m getting sick of that river rock too LOL!!! :laugh::laugh: :laugh: Sending you pixies to help get that done! I’m sure you will be delighted when it’s complete!

Katla: so sorry you over-imbibed! I hate sangria. Way too sweet for me!

Kim: a quiet house is marvelous, isn’t it?

Alison: have safe travels and a good trip

Pam: congrats on that weight loss That is fabulous!

Heather: sounds like that rhubarb dessert is something I’d like!

Cindy: wow you are so talented! Oh my gosh that is gorgeous!!! What medium is it? On the computer it looks like charcoal or pencil. I am so envious of your abilities!

Margaret: glad you are staying dry there!

Beth: hooray for all those headache free days!!!

Viv: what a great step total!

Brenda: welcome aboard. I don’t know about Norms, we all seem to get along quite well. I do know everyone here is respectful of our differences.

Well I am off to get a few more things done before it’s time to start getting ready for the evening. Take care all Meg from Omaha where I’m not commenting on the weather any more!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!!
    Hugs to ever needs them.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Had a nice breakfast with the mom`s.more rain and humid.:flowerforyou:
    HUGS
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, everyone,

Made it to yoga this am which went well; about an hour later, while sitting, I turned slightly to look out the window, felt something shift in my lower back and felt a fairly sharp pain, and have been uncomfortable ever since.........Aspirin and ice for the remainder of the day, I think.

DD had quite the spill yesterday. She was about 5 miles from the house during her run yesterday when she stepped on one of those spiked gum balls from a tree and went down. A very nice man stopped his truck and helped her up and offered to call 911 which she turned down and tried to "walk it off". Ended up calling me to pick her up---quite a mess..........skinned hands, skinned knees, one skinned elbow and arm, sore wrist from impact and turned ankle on the left side, lots of blood from the knees. Brought her home and helped her into the shower to see just what the damage was. Got the dirt washed out of the scrapes and the bleeding stopped and bandaged and she spent the rest of yesterday in the lazy boy with ice at various points on all four limbs. Today, she's moving like nothing happened..............ahhhh, youth.

Nothing much else new here.

Someone (Kim??) asked a few days ago about hitchhiking...........nope and nope.

Sangria...........Had 2 small glasses last summer at a party; no ill effects, delicious!!!

Beth...........So glad for your DS's migraine relief!!! Wonderful!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic...........lots of rain overnight, birdbath was overflowing this am!!!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies.The walk home from work yesterday was not to bad but I was soaked by the time I got there as it was so muggy. What a night! We had rain and hail and we lost half our apple tree. No other damage that we could see last evening. We did have a nice evening with our CMA group and am sad to see acouple moving away. Now today I am working and tonight we have a wedding. I think it is strange as the wedding starts at 6pm. I am getting off early to go.

Meg--My fitbit vibrates when I reach 10000 steps. Surprised me the first time and then on the web page was a smiley face. We got several inches of rain again last evening and large hail. When I got to work this morning the night charge nurse had the back window of her car broke out. Our pastoral person today showed us pictures of his siding with large holes. I want to go home and look at our house as it was dark last evening and this morning when I went to work.

Sylvia--glad to hear DS is doing better.

jb--Thanks for keeping us updated on Mariah. Keeping her and all of you in my prayers.

Katla--Sure hope you are feeling better.

Pam--congrates on your loss and it does sound like more in pounds. Keep up the good work.

Beth--great news about DS.

Gloria--sounds like you are having lots of fun and relaxing. Good for you.

yanniejannie--OMG I sure hope your back feels better soon. Somedays I think the harder I try to get healthly the more I end up hurting myself. Glad DD is ok, sounds like she took quite the fall.

Well not alot else going on so best get some work done so can leave early to go to the wedding. Sounds like more storms tonight and tomorrow. Sure hope not. Remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki from stormy Grand Island, Nebraska
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Meg: saag paneer and garlic naan get me drooling every time...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Alison – have a great time! Take time for you!!:flowerforyou:

Pam – Great job on getting the scale to move! And on logging everything even when you go over, for me it really helps me figure out what was important for next time. :smile:

Heather – do you keep notes on friends likes/dislikes or who is a recovering alcoholic? I do… I have each person on a 3x5 card with their name, address, email on the front…use it for Christmas card mailing – then on the back the top bit is for directions to their house and the bottom bit is for dietary issues…. Then I can just check when I am inviting folks…:blushing:
    I think the idea of a village church fete is delightful; in CA we don’t really have anything that is comparable, as nothing really includes the whole town – Dublin (my town) thinks it’s Irish and does a St patty’s day thing but there is a charge for everything and it is spread around..very commercial.
    I did look, when you first put the pic up because the top is a beautiful color but you looked heavy, and I looked at all your pics and like the black (maybe dark brown) and white dress best, you look stunning in that pic. :happy:

Cindy – that drawing is STUNNING!!! What an accomplished artist you are! :love:

Beth – a whole week !!!! YEAH – :smile: :smile:

Brenda – welcome, you seem to fit right in, we tell where we are from and sign it with a name or “handle” come and visit us often! I am in the SF bay area of California, there are a couple of gals from San Diego area and one from the Grass Valley area… where in CA are you…

Sylvia – LOVED Loved the joke!

Vicki and all others in storm’s path – this is an eye opener for me, as the storms sound to me like what we might have in the winter.. nothing like summer at all… I am so spoiled. :glasses: :glasses:

Cynthia – me too… drool

Well Levi and I walked this morning did the "hills" which are far from hills but little inclines and I felt it! then finished up the recipe booklets, marketing list, did the marketing, un-packed it checked against the recipes and repacked it - then packed up all the pots, pans ect... The center I teach at provides a fully working kitchen but NOTHING else - I even have to bring dish soap. So that took from 6:30am-4:30pm I need lunch:frown: think I'll just do an early dinner. When I was at the store, I saw some shrimp on sale and picked them up for tonights dinner... don't know how I'll do them but something - I have some peppers in there and salad fixings, there is brown rice or the low cal noodles... hmmm typing out loud - the message board version of thinking out loud.....

I will finish up a couple of jackets tonight and tomorrow and then little to no embroidery until next weekend. My hair needs a cut - and I just called and she is booked for a whole week...:frown: I should not have waited until my hair looked like a sheepdog's !

Kim in N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OK Meg, you need to walk me through this!!!! What kind of a tooth brush, how often, how in the world do you get your cat to cooperate? It was bad enough having to squirt a syringe full of medicine in her mouth. She does have back claws, doesn't use them that often but she does know how. What kind of damage might I have done by not doing it these months. I think we have had her for almost 2 years. I want her to be healthy.

We have so many new members, it is going to take time for me to get to know you all. Please excuse me if I don't remember you. I have MS and my short term memory is one of my problems.

It is not that humid here today so at 90* it only feels like 90*. I am grateful for that.

Joyce, Indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am glad someone asked about norms about this forum. It has not come up as a dividing issue, so we must be doing something right. I also believe that it is about respecting each other, our beliefs and our boundaries. In addition, it is about acknowledging and encouraging each person's journey. That validation is a huge part of this forum's continuation and most certainly has been something that I have been grateful for.

I had an unpleasant reaction last night to one of the puffers I was prescribed yesterday. So, for now I will stick with the one I can handle, based on what the pharmacist confirmed. I actually felt better today, and since I am not contagious, I went to visit DD with infant without having to use a surgical mask. Oh my, he is quite adorable. He has very dark hair, just like his mommy when she
    was born. At 4 ms. all her dark hair fell out, and came back blond. Go figure. Anyway, I had some beautiful bonding time with little GS. I am taking next week off to look after mom and baby, while daddy goes back to work.

I called my mom (like I do every day now) and she sounded good. She is such a cheeky old woman. I do think some if it is the morphine speaking, of course. But nonetheless, it maybe that she hangs in there for another couple of weeks. Who knows. She keeps surprising us at 91 and skin and bones. She is receiving very good care. My 2 sisters and I happen all to have a lot going on in our Lives. Murphys law, isn't it. My brother tends to be absent in times such as this.

Today is the first day of summer and I did a bit of deadheading in the flower garden after I had a nap. It made me feel better about all the goings on. And it's a gorgeous day here in paradise.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well I am disappointed in my weigh in today. I am doing WW and have until July 22, which will be the end. One reason I came back to My Fitness pal, It worked for me in the beginning so am trying again. I reset my goals back to 0 so I can see how I am doing from this point. I was so excited to find an app for my iphone that is a pedometer that connects to MFP. I started today and will definatley have to move more It will even keep track of my steps if the phone is in my purse. But guess what it can't keep your steps if your purse is in the cart. Went shopping today and duh put it in my bra after I realized it was in my purse. Had a good Saturday got to have lunch with my son and my 2 grandkids DIL was out of town. So nice to spend time with him. He works nites so i try not to invade their family time on the weekends. I see my DIL and GKs a lot for dinner so I felt like I got an early birthday present today.
    Went to the health food store, does anyone drink Aloe Vera juice? What are your thoughts?

Keep up the good work ladies, me on the other hand back to salads, fruits and eating better I knew I blew it with food this week.

Sherry
    So CA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Yannie Jannie, I believe a sweet gum ball was the culprit for my broken wrist. Those things are deadly! Hope your DD will be okay.

Speaking of my wrist, I haven't whined about it lately. It has been 5 months and I still don't have full range of motion, although it is much better. The thing that bugs me most is that my shoulder seems to have shut down. The PT gave me exercises for it, so I hope they will help, she dismissed me last week since I can basically do what I need to do at home.

You all have a great Saturday night and a restful Sunday.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy Solstice Evening to everyone!

It finally felt like summer has arrived here in SWOnt! Warm enough, not humid; garden is looking well, although the peonies came and went in the very high heat last week. We spent a lovely breakfast under the gazebo enjoying our coffee and papers! Did not want to move on with the rest of the day....

but we did, got to a Mennonite organic farm way out in the country....found lots of good looking fresh veg, eggs, and luscious strawberries.

I live such an urban life, it is very easy to forget the millions of acres of farms all around us......lovely green rolling hills, well kept farms, and some small towns.

I hope you all had a long day of sunshine, and a great day !

BJ, SWOnt.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just going to mark my place by saying good night...
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Jari Love Revved to the Max DVD today. Actually, I suspect it was longer than an hour judging by the clock in my exercise room. Then I went to the farmers market, then to CVS to get soda on slae and then to Bi-Lo just for some items that were on sale. At the market they had golden beets -- sweet. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some training games on the Wii.

Boiled the beets and after I came home from church cut them up and put some in the freezer.

Welcome everyone new!

Riverrocked today, then went in the pool but it started to cloud up so I came in. Need to go to church as I'm serving for another lady in exchange for her doing it for me next weekend when we'll be in VA.

Kim - Total Fitness is a web site. I'm not sure where their store is. One nice thing is that you can preview a clip of the tape to see if it's what you like. I know that there was one yoga instructor, there was just something about her voice, so I didn't order that DVD because I knew I wouldn't like it.

katla - so glad you're with the living....lol

Beth - how wonderful your son didn't have a headache even with the stress of the exams

Brenda - no "norm" for posting other than the normal "be kind" (everyone here is), no bad words (you won't find them here), no politics (not here), you know the drill. Post as often as you can

Gloria - continue to have a great time

Heather - you are so thoughtful to ask your guests if there is something they don't like

Pamala28 - awesome loss

Meg - YOU think YOU'RE sick of the riverrock. Trust me, it's nothing at all compared to how I feel. I just try to keep telling myself with every shovelful "that's that much further until we're done".

yanniejannie -hope your back is better soon. Have you ever used one of those foam rollers? My lower back is hurting me a bit, need to find time to get on that roller. It's felt so good before! Sorry about your daughter, but glad she's better

After dinner went to WalMart. I was sooooo tired, but I came home and did a very bad thing. Lynette is going to a Jumas gettogether. Someone decided that Christmas should be in June so they've been getting together every year for the last 40 years. Anyway, she asked if I would bake something. So I made pineapple zucchini muffins for her. And being tired, I was craving carbs. I also am marinating the salmon for us for later in the week.

Have one more batch of the muffins to go in the oven, then I'm going downstairs to use my foam roller on my back.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Michele - darn sorry to hear you are "done" mentally at least with river rock it is sounding so great I was thinking you should come here and do some for me :laugh: Actually with our drought I am letting my front grass die, it is not a big patch, but looks awful all dead and brown... then in the fall I am going to plant a mini meadow - I have started doing my research and will need river rock around my trees, then maybe a dry creek of them for looks - Any one? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: then I am going to some california native grass that will stay green - and never need mowing with wild flowers mixed in and bulbs... the grass, they say after established will make it with water once a month - big improvement over the lawn which here needs irrigation every 3 days from may till november as that is our dry season.

Interesting to think and read the comments about "norms" on our group - as I never think about the things we don't say, as my guess is that among such a big group there are differences in politics, religion, and other "hot" issues, but we have all found common ground, and listen to our ups and downs, successes and struggles and treat each other with respect. When I lurk on other threads and see the "my way or the highway attitude" I just come running back here. I wish all of life was like it is here in our little paradise.

Ok that was a ton of chatting to hop in quick and tell you all that I was gardening in my yard (what a change) and ran for the bathroom not thinking just pulled my jeans down - yeah did not undo the button or zipper and these have no elastic and are not the stretch ones.... in Feb when I started this pair of jeans were the I'm feeling thin suck it in jeans and now they are "pull-ups/ pull-offs" I'm smiling from ear to ear! had to share!!! I mean really who else can you call to tell them that your jeans are pull-ups! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kim in N. California
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    DH and I went for a drive to the lagoon this evening. Enjoying the longest day of the year, summer solstice. Looking from the beach to one side is Victoria, with 3 cruise ships in, and Mount Baker's top just peaking out over the city skyscape. Looking south across the Juan De Fuca Straight are the amazing Olympic Mountains. We sure are lucky to live where we do.

Then DH had the novel idea of getting a strawberry sundae at McDonalds. Well, I had not had one of those in ages. Now we both feel really full. I have to say that the cold icecream was soothing to my sore throat.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim I'm going ot bed with a smile on my face!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joyce, Indiana
  • Pamala28
    Pamala28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kim, beautifully stated. I agree that the group is very accepting. I love it! Great news on the pull ups!

Cindy, I missed the drawing. I would love to see it, as I draw as well.

Margaret, I had cataract surgery last year. The difference in my sight is amazing!

Heather, you look fabulous in your photos!

jannieyannie, your daughter's fall sounds quite frightening. I'm glad she is feeling better.

I wanted to respond to more people. We are leaving to visit friends and I have lots to do beforehand.

Everybody enjoy their Sunday,

Thank you for all the congratulations.

I ordered a fitbit zip. It will be here tomorrow. YEAH!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning ladies :flowerforyou:

:frown: :embarassed: Well after my post yesterday saying I was going to do a Lesley Sansone walk - didn't do it!!! Not sure what happened, I didn't purposely not do it, but I just didn't get around to it, :noway: Today, I must think about what I am doing,

:flowerforyou: Yannie Jannie Poor you, you sit in a chair and pull your back, your DD has a nasty fall and has a quick recovery, ahh if only we could bottle youth and save some for when we are older :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Glad your DD is okay though.

:flowerforyou: Michele hope your back is feeling better, no wonder though shovelling all that rock, and all the exercise video's you do. You never cease to amaze me with your determination to get things done. Even though you were tired you still baked some muffins. I'm not sure I'd have done it.

:flowerforyou: I have a Fitbit one and so far don't use it much other than to log my sleep and steps. Now that I've started logging my food again on MFP it logs it on my Fitbit stats and also logs the extra calories from exercise onto MFP. Between the two websites I have a rough idea of the calories I'm eating. I'm hoping that this will kick start me into losing a few pounds. Looking at my food diary over the last few days though I'm going to have to make some changes in my eating habits.

:flowerforyou: Joyce did I miss something why are you going to bed with a smile on your face ? :bigsmile:

:drinker: Only 4 more days at work then it's the weekend before I go on holiday - so looking forward to it.

Have a great day ladies :heart:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Kim: bet Levi enjoyed the walk. Love the jeans story; I can relate! It’s a great feeling. :bigsmile:
    Renny: glad you’re feeling better and have been able to visit the baby. Also glad you can speak to your mom every day. It’s hard when we live so far away from family. :flowerforyou:
    Katie: thanks for the update on your wrist. Is full range of motion to be expected, eventually?
    Beth: great that your son is doing so much better.
    Michele: hope you got a good night’s sleep.

Felt a little sad that yesterday was the longest day of the year.
    Cat tooth brushing: never did it. I did my dog’s for a while, but got out of the habit. He seems to have good teeth, though. Once I heard a kind of grunt from the bathroom. Turns out my guy had grabbed the chicken-flavor toothpaste by mistake. :laugh:

Have to make another dent in the cleaning up/throwing away project I have now. My guy is moving in here sometime this year (we've commuted to each other's houses for years but are tired of that now) and of course he has to have enough room for his stuff! Plus, a couple of rooms need to be painted, carpeting and some kind of window dressing picked out, etc. Don't really mind the work (it also burns calories!), but it's too bad new home stuff isn't free. :sad:

Wishing everyone a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Good morning dear friends!:flowerforyou:

Kim - great news on the jeans front!:flowerforyou: :drinker: I don't tend to write down my guest's preferehces because I have an extremely good memory for anything involving food!:laugh: :laugh: :tongue: My DH thinks I am amazing as I can remember nearly every special meal I have ever cooked or eaten. It's amazing how selective our memory is - all my life I have not been able to remember names or numbers, but I can remember where I was and the sequence, especially on holiday. DH has no memory for directions, but can remember cricket and football scores.:laugh: :wink: But your idea is a good one as these days so many people have food problems.

Yanniejannie - I hope your back recovers soon. Weird how we can do an hour of yoga and then a mere turn can set us off.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Cindy - wonderful drawing!:flowerforyou:

Renny - so glad for you, "falling in love " with your grandchild.:love::love: :heart:

Sherry - ain't those grandkids the best!:flowerforyou:

Katie - hope you heal soon. It must be so frustrating! Keep going on the exercises, they can work wonders.:flowerforyou:

We could do with some of your rain over here. My water butts are running dry. Every time I mention a watering system to DH he just grunts.:grumble: :ohwell: It is exercise though, lugging those watering cans around.:ohwell:

We enjoyed the church fete yesterday. I bought an orange drizzle cake for DH, two foxgloves for our new shady bed, a jar of marmelade and three paperbacks. Two of them are by Donna Leon, a detective series set in Venice. We love them and these must be the last two we haven't read. Kim - I keep a list of them on my phone so I know which ones to buy. :bigsmile: Everything was very cheap and the goods are homemade.
    One thing I did do was take a form for applying to be a "First Responder" for the village. I haven't quite decided yet, but I may fill it in. You don't have to commit to lots of hours, just the ones you feel you can manage, even just a few, but you get a weekend training in first aid and in using the defibrillator. I don't think these emergencies happen often but even if you are just holding someone's hand until the ambulance arrives it can be a help. We have a lot of old people in the village. It could be a way of me getting to know a few more people as well as fulfilling my fantasies of being a paramedic! ! ! :laugh: :tongue: :wink: I love those helicopter 999 programmes on the TV. :bigsmile: So I will give it a bit more consideration.

Hot again today and DRY!:sad: :sad: :grumble:

Our guests on Friday, who had to rush off to his mum, emailed me to thank me and say they are going to have to get the authorities in as he cannot cope any more. He did look exhausted, poor man.

Love to all, Heather in sunny and warm Hampshire UK