Milk contains pus?!

Options

Replies

• Komodo26
    Komodo26 Posts: 55
    Options
    I think you might want to consider living in a bubble...

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1966870,00.html

I will consider this as well
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Speaking only of milk and other dairy: the big problem is factory farming. Those cows are mistreated and also given sub-therapeutic doses of antibiotics, which DO enter your system (and are contributing to the rise of superbugs). If you would like to avoid things like that, try organic milk, cheese, and butter, or just get know a local farmer and buy from them.

Personally, i buy almond milk, or i buy milk and butter from a local Amish dairy co-op where i know the farmers (also where i get my eggs, and for 1.50 for a dozen pastured eggs!), or goat cheese from a different local farmer. (And that stuff is also delicious.)

I try my best to avoid any factory farming, and i definitely eat a plant-based diet. Cheaper, healthier, what's not to like? I am not, however, a vegan or vegetarian. (Obviously, i guess, based on the rest of this post.)

Tl;dr. Go for organic or locally-sourced dairy if the pus and antibiotics and hormones bother you.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    We are unique in our capacity to knowingly care about something beyond ourselves.

As far as we know. Possibly not, though. Dolphins have been known to save human beings from shark attacks. For all we know, they do it consciously and for species preservation reasons. How do they know there are billions of us buggers on land?
    Or maybe human proportions and (from their view) clumsiness in the water trigger their "aww wookit the widdew baby" nurturing instincts.
    LOL, quite possibly but that very tendency for apparent altruistic behavior seems to strongly associate with species who also show highly structured social systems, potential self awareness and some scientists have even gone so far as to say language and culture.
    And for obvious reasons. And it nice to see the word "apparent" in there. An important distinction. But self awareness, language or culture are not necessary as dogs, for example, also produce apparent altruistic behavior without them.

Certainly not necessary, but altruistic behaviors do seem to have some significant adaptive advantages in social structures that have gone beyond tit-for-tat interactions, and given the fossilized evidence of dire wolves in the la brea area that died of old age despite having clearly lived with debilitating arthritis and other fossils of wolves who had crippling femur breaks that had healed and apparently the animal survived for years afterwords, dogs in general certainly qualify as well beyond the tit-for-tat stage.

The problem of course with trying to establish self-awareness, language or culture with animals like orcas and dolphins is there's such a massive umwelt issue going on. We're talking about an animal that lives in a three dimensional environment who's primary sensory system is a sonar system quite possibly better than anything we've been able to develop since we first started working with sonar in the early 1900's. We're probably not even picking up on half of what they're actually communicating to each other and understanding even less.....:ohwell:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from animal products as a personal choice but I mean a good burger is good, milk in my coffee *there is no greater pleasure* but... when I see videos of how they treat animals that produce all the things we love it makes me sick... we have become so inhumane.

I understand this response, but to me, it seems that from a basic capitalistic perspective, it makes more sense to change these types of behaviors by giving the producers monetary incentive to do it right, i.e. don't completely avoid the product if you like it, but make sure your money is going to the producers who are making the extra effort to set higher standards. In other words, punish the producers you feel are misbehaving but also reward producers who are trying to do the right thing.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk anymore. I switched to an almond/coconut milk blend by Breeze. I get the sweetened and may eventually switch to the unsweetened. If you ever want to know why it has pus in it, go to youtube and watch a video on a dairy farm that got busted for animal abuse, it is why I went vegetarian 4 years ago, man is the most heartless animal on earth and I choose not to be a part of that. I will never look down on anyone who decides to eat meat, I just can't do it anymore personally.

Interesting statement. I would say that man is the LEAST heartless animal in the world. Do you think the cheetah cares about the suffering of the zebra as it eats the intestines first while the zebra is still alive? Do you think the beaver cares about replacing the trees it cuts down? Do you think an alligator tries to give another injured gator a helping hand? Nah, he'll probably just eat him in fact. Survival of the fittest, you do what you have to.

All life on the planet cares about survival and reproduction, period. They will do whatever it takes to survive, including abandoning deformed offspring (or for no apparent reason at all) or killing the children of its new mates so that it can further its own bloodline instead. Nature is endlessly cruel, humans are cruel too but we are at the furthest possible end of the spectrum. What animal cares more about sustainable farming, hunting, resources, the environment in general or the suffering of our fellow humans (and other animals)? None.

What other animal kills endangered species to the brink of extinction by hunting them just for money? That's not survival. That's just greed. At least other animals kill for survival, as we did long ago. We no longer need meat to survive. If humans were not on this planet, it would be a much better place.

Self hate is a very sad thing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    Humans are the only species on earth that drinks the milk of another mammal. We are also the only species that continues to drink milk after being weaned off of mother's milk. Just sayin'.

We are also one of the few with hands allowing us to milk animals, and the higher mental reasoning to do so. Based on how cats love milk, I am sure if they could milk cows they would.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If humans were not on this planet, it would be a much better place.
    You first.

In the meantime, good luck having dolphins divert an asteroid or the like.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Everything that comes from a unhygienic factory farm will contain pus, feces, and other desirable items.... best way to stop eating the pus and feces is go Plant-Based... You don't need Milk and Animal products to get your nutrition

TIL that plants don't have feces (lolfertilizer) or undesirable items (lolpesticidesandbugs).

Haha. I wash the tomato worm frass off my tomatoes. Oops. What?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You first.

We did that?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    - and I'm off for a soya milk smoothie with fresh in-season strawberries and (not so in-season) banana!

Lol. You know it's just about impossible to raise an organic strawberry. And banana farming = deforestation and slave labor.
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is my favorite. It has that rich fatty taste that is equivalent to milk but without the torture. Rice, almond and soy milk are always too thin for my liking.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Not! WHITE BLOOD CELLS! Whatever will we do? Quick hide your children, hide your wife!

lol....
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You first.

We did that?

Is this a HGTTG ref?
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Almond milk or Coconut milk over cows milk.

A little in moderation is fine though!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Everything that comes from a unhygienic factory farm will contain pus, feces, and other desirable items.... best way to stop eating the pus and feces is go Plant-Based... You don't need Milk and Animal products to get your nutrition

Except that plants are grown in animal faeces (that's the best organic fertiliser) and if they're not washed you'll still be eating animal faeces. And greenfly. And other insects. And the faeces of those insects and whatever other secretions they have on them. And if you want to get even more technical, the nitrogen and other organic compounds in the plants you grow are actually the same atoms/ions that came from the animal poo.... so in a sense plants are partly animal poo by nature.

My parents grow their own organic vegetables, so I know these things (and frankly don't give a rat's hairy behind - a bit of greenfly never hurt anyone.... and when I was a kid we used to go camping in farmer's fields that were set aside in the summer as campsites... we used to throw cow sh** at each other for fun. (only the dried ones... although if you stepped in the squishy ones then it was a PITA to get it out from between your toes... yes we did play barefoot in those fields... and only occasionally stepped on thistles or nettles or similar....)

Some people are just too squeamish when it comes to nature. I agree that farmers should treat animals humanely (and animals fed on their natural foods with freedom to move around actually taste a lot better too), but all this whining about white blood cells and traces of animal secretions in milk and other animal products (or greenfly and traces of horse sh** and similar on plant products) is just silliness. Milk is pasteurised to prevent a risk of infection. Meat should be cooked to 65 degrees centigrade all through, except for some cuts of meat which can be eaten rare (and even then they're cooked on the outside where the bacteria will be if it's been cross contamintated. That's why the food industry has laws for hygiene and why everyone should practice good kitchen hygiene. Because nature is full of poo and germs and if you don't like it then make like a tree and learn to photosynthesise.

....oh but wait, the tree is going to get some of its mineral ions from the poo and pee of animals who choose to relieve themselves under it....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I tell my kids that cow's milk is for baby cows. They drink almond or coconut milk.

You can't milk an almond or coconut though, how do you get the milk??

One has to be processed like a mofo until it is in an unrecognizable and unnatural form.

The other you have to hack apart and stab to death.

And where's the calcium and protein in almond or coconut milk? What is the point in even drinking it? :frown:
  • likitisplit
    Options

Except that plants are grown in animal faeces (that's the best organic fertiliser) and if they're not washed you'll still be eating animal faeces. And greenfly. And other insects. And the faeces of those insects and whatever other secretions they have on them. And if you want to get even more technical, the nitrogen and other organic compounds in the plants you grow are actually the same atoms/ions that came from the animal poo.... so in a sense plants are partly animal poo by nature.

My parents grow their own organic vegetables, so I know these things (and frankly don't give a rat's hairy behind - a bit of greenfly never hurt anyone.... and when I was a kid we used to go camping in farmer's fields that were set aside in the summer as campsites... we used to throw cow sh** at each other for fun. (only the dried ones... although if you stepped in the squishy ones then it was a PITA to get it out from between your toes... yes we did play barefoot in those fields... and only occasionally stepped on thistles or nettles or similar....)

Some people are just too squeamish when it comes to nature. I agree that farmers should treat animals humanely (and animals fed on their natural foods with freedom to move around actually taste a lot better too), but all this whining about white blood cells and traces of animal secretions in milk and other animal products (or greenfly and traces of horse sh** and similar on plant products) is just silliness. Milk is pasteurised to prevent a risk of infection. Meat should be cooked to 65 degrees centigrade all through, except for some cuts of meat which can be eaten rare (and even then they're cooked on the outside where the bacteria will be if it's been cross contamintated. That's why the food industry has laws for hygiene and why everyone should practice good kitchen hygiene. Because nature is full of poo and germs and if you don't like it then make like a tree and learn to photosynthesise.

....oh but wait, the tree is going to get some of its mineral ions from the poo and pee of animals who choose to relieve themselves under it....

If a body has been buried under a tree, cadaver dogs will frequently indicate the tree rather than the ground...because that's where they can smell the decomposition compounds.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I tell my kids that cow's milk is for baby cows. They drink almond or coconut milk.

And almond and coconut milk are for baby almonds and coconuts.

I have never laughed so hard at a post.

But seriously, my one year old drinks three cups of whole milk a day and I don't see any reason to stop giving it to him.
  • dandee1307
    dandee1307 Posts: 15
    Options
    Gods be good, who comes up with this crap?!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

If a body has been buried under a tree, cadaver dogs will frequently indicate the tree rather than the ground...because that's where they can smell the decomposition compounds.

So you're saying even the trees on this planet are carnivorous?