What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• maggiemaggamuff
    Options
    It's true my DR prefers skinny girls. I don't "need" to. BUT my boyfriend, also a DR, says I should....and when he saw me last month when he came down to FL....he said I could lose some.
    I spent the entire time INSIDE THE CONDO IN GORGEOUS BONITA versus being out on the beach because I was self-conscious. Not good! It's insane. I need to be better!

At 19, I was 102 and 5'6" tall. At 27, I was 120. At 35, I was 135. Now I'm 40 and I am in a size 6 but too scared to weigh. I want the confidence that my weight will be below 120 whenever I step on the scale. I don't think about food. I drink most of my calories (coffee.) I used to NEVER NEED to workout. But the guy I'm seeing lives up in Mass and rides his bike and goes running almost all year long. I want to be able to keep up! He's 57; I should not be lagging behind at age 40, and I need to be healthy. At first, I was insulted. But then I thought about it and realized they're right. I need to be better.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how much I actually weighed until I bought a scale, I was 215lbs the heaviest I have ever been. I told myself I wanted to be in better shape by my 30th birthday (in August) so I lost about 30lbs but recently had strep throat and was in the process of moving so I stopped exercising for about a month and gained 13lbs back, I just came back on here one day not to long ago and looked at all my old posts and how happy I was and started back my exercising and eating right :o), I have lost 7lbs already and my stomach bloat is gone and I'm at normal body weight again. So I guess really my why is to feel better about myself and to have more energy and of course I'm about to be 30 so to be in shape before I get old lol
  • QueenCat135
    QueenCat135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired. I want to live a long, healthy life. I have too many things I wanna do. I want to see my children grow up. I want to stop being scared of going out in public. (Scared of people judging me because I'm fat.)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My why? I am the mother of two special needs children and I know I'm going to be their caretaker for many, many years to come. I need to be strong and stand A LOT of stress on the daily. For as long as I can foresee. I NEED to be here for them for decades upon decades. The only good way I know of to prolong your life is through healthy living. I was almost 200 pounds at 39 and 5'2", and tired ALL THE TIME. How could I possibly stand the strain another 40 years like that?? I couldn't. So I took charge of myself and my life and got in shape. Now I'm lean and strong, but more importantly, my workouts burn off my stress from all I endure and allow me to recharge and go back at it the next day..
  • DaftKnight
    Options
    My why started off as simple, but its so much more than that.
    I am sick of feeling less than because I way more than I should. Being overweight is no fun, but I'd imagine being underweight is not a picnic either. So I really just want to hit a healthy medium, and that's about 80 pounds or so away from where I am right now. It seems a lot to me, because I used to weigh a lot less when I was living in a college dorm, which is hilarious cause all my friends gained weight while I lost. Then my depression spiraled out of control, and here I am. I want to lose weight and get in shape because I need to be able to say I did it, to myself, to my mom, to my family who always knock me down. Defiance at its best I suppose. I also would love to just cosplay without over thinking "I'm probably too fat too look good as them" I'll just cosplay him instead of her and stuff like that. Obviously one simply does not cosplay Mother Russia while overweight. It isn't done.
  • RachelLM73
    RachelLM73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I want to tone up and get more active:)

I'm also not a "spring chicken" anymore. When younger I was always active doing gymnastics,trampolining etc- not on any high scale level though.

I've not started any classes yet but I am itching to,just don't want to feel like I am drowning if I start classes.

Rachel
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Amazing post - and so many different and powerful responses!
    My WHY was superficial and vain when I started my journey 4 years ago - and it started with a snarky comment from my older brother who I rarely see - and then I actually saw a side view of myself and said holy $#!+, I am fat.

80 +/- pounds later - I have 15 to go and am struggling with the WHY. Sounds funny - but when so many people say - oh you look amazing - you don't need to lose anymore weight, etc etc. Yeah, it's great to hear compliments - but when you tell them, no I have 15 more to go -they chastise you as wanting to be "too thin" or "don't you think that's unhealthy?" and then your own WHY's start getting murky.

My WHY at this point is to simply prove to myself that I CAN reach my ultimate goal and tell everyone else to shut it. My WHY is to prove to my daughter that a goal is important and you don't quit until you reach it. My WHY is to be able to look in the mirror at myself and say, Yes - YOU did this and be damn proud of it.
  • kelley555
    kelley555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My why:
    To be a good example to my kids.
    To hopefully avoid type 2 diabetes. (Runs in family) and any of the other medical conditions that is caused by inactivity and poor diet.
    Because I deserve to feel my best.
    Because I am too young to feel so tired and to have the aches and pains that I do.
    Because my weight prevents me from going out and participating in life- I want to do things, not just wish I could.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations. Good luck with your future 10K. I hope you get to experience that "runners high"!
    Great thought provoking thread, thanks!!

For me...today...
    1) I want to run again. (Or at least be fit enough that should my knees allow, I could go for a run)
    2) I want to save money. I'm paying off my debts and cannot justify buying new clothes when I have a whole wardrobe of smaller clothes I can no longer wear.

So I thought I'd come back and see what I wrote to this and see if my Why has changed.

1) I could probably go for a run if I wanted to. My fitness has improved greatly. I will be signing up to a 10K as soon as pay day comes. :)
    2) I have just been able to get into a size 12 jeans I had in my wardrobe so I've achieved that too!! Wooo hoo.

So what is keeping me going? Really it's seeing how great I've done so far. I've lost 18lbs. I can do 30 mins medium intensity on my cross trainer or longer with lower intensity easily. I have been doing You Are Your Own Gym, and whilst I'm adapting a lot of the upper body exercises I've stuck with it, and am about to enter 'week 5's' routines (not done in a week because I'm doing cardio along side). I have seen an increase in my confidence and don't want to lose that. :)
  • PricklyEmu
    PricklyEmu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I changed jobs, and have gained a (slightly scary) 2 stone in the last 8 months. This will not do.

- I want to fit into my beautiful clothes again (I can't afford to buy any new ones!)
    - I DON'T want my health to suffer.
    - I want to sweat less, because it's kinda gross.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My primary WHY? is to keep my new fabulous wardrobe, and all that it brings -- self-confidence, more love than hate relationship with the mirror, etc., but I also enjoy reaching each new fitness goal or milestone.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My reasons to lose weight and get in shape-
    1. I have a serious bone disease and need to get the weight off my legs ( had stem cell transplants on both knees, still have hip, ankle and knee problems) . I'd like to hold off on multiple total joint replacements for as long as possible
    2. I cannot stand this weight. I'm heavier than I've ever been and feel awful.
    3. I want to take courses to become a cave and technical diver. The added gear that I will need to carry weighs as much as I will when I get to goal weight. I need a lot of leg and back strength to get in and out of the water, manage my own gear ( in and out of the car,etc) and to be able to move under water with the added drag from drysuit and extra air tanks. I will also need improved fitness to keep me safe deep under the cave. The most common cause of diver death is from cardiovascular disease and second is running out of air.
    4. My clothes, wedding ring and even work shoes no longer fit.
    5. Joining a fox hunting club this fall when we move to NC. Riding 2-4 hours at a trot or run is very strenuous.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    maggiemaggamuff - First off, thank you for sharing your why. Second, you need to do this for you, not anyone else. I will be insulted for you. I can't believe he would say that to you. I guess I definitely come from different stock. IMO, at 40 years young, 5'6" in a size 6 sounds perfect to me. You have to keep in mind that muscle is always going to weigh more, so don't always go by what the scale says. Go by measurements, how your clothes feel, etc. Being healthy and having the endurance to keep up with high level activities is fine, but don't lock yourself away when there is a beautiful beach to go experience. You are better than that. Embrace life and all the treasures that have been presented to you!:happy:
    It's true my DR prefers skinny girls. I don't "need" to. BUT my boyfriend, also a DR, says I should....and when he saw me last month when he came down to FL....he said I could lose some.
    I spent the entire time INSIDE THE CONDO IN GORGEOUS BONITA versus being out on the beach because I was self-conscious. Not good! It's insane. I need to be better!

At 19, I was 102 and 5'6" tall. At 27, I was 120. At 35, I was 135. Now I'm 40 and I am in a size 6 but too scared to weigh. I want the confidence that my weight will be below 120 whenever I step on the scale. I don't think about food. I drink most of my calories (coffee.) I used to NEVER NEED to workout. But the guy I'm seeing lives up in Mass and rides his bike and goes running almost all year long. I want to be able to keep up! He's 57; I should not be lagging behind at age 40, and I need to be healthy. At first, I was insulted. But then I thought about it and realized they're right. I need to be better.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options

I saw your other post. 115 lb is the minimum healthy weight for you. Try not to be so extreme (800 cals/day and shots!?), or you may really hurt yourself. It's great to have a boyfriend who wants you to be underweight (not)! If you want to keep up, exercise. But don't worry about the weight. Your doctor may not be certified.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Folks, I have another chapter to this post started called “You have discovered you WHY, now What?”

(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1334596-you-have-discovered-you-why-now-what)

If you have been following this post and have enjoyed it, please take a look at the next chapter, and thank you to all who have contributed to this discussion, and to those who will, in the future. :happy:
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

What has that got to do with anything? would you dye your hair if he liked a different colour? Looking at your own thread you really need to get another dr &bf. I think you need to tone rather than lose more weight.
  • singhsurabhi
    singhsurabhi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Noob here. My why is because I am sick of being called fat. Going to the stores to buy clothes(I love shopping) but returning empty handed is frustrating and depressing. You can't wear certain clothes because they don't suit your frame.
    My weight has also taken a hit on my self confidence. When I meet new people I instantly assume that they'll be judging me for my weight and it makes it awkward/ stressful for me to make conversation.
    I hate it when my skinny friends try to console my battered soul by telling me that I'm just 'big' and 'a bit on the healthier side'. I want to change it all and thus my attempt at losing weight.
    I hope I can stick to it.:smile:
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My why is simple yet not really.

I'm tired of looking in the mirror and hating the way I look. I think to myself that others must judge me the way I judge myself. I know weight loss and toning up isn't going to fix how I see myself but I'm hoping that it's a start. I want to feel good again emotionally and physically.
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've never ever in my entire life felt truly attractive. It's a birthright! I want to do everything possible to feel beautiful. It's a feeling other people just take for granted.