To GMO or Non-GMO

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Air travel is regulated and I have a choice about stepping onto an airplane or not.

Do you have a choice? News to me. Not sure how else I am supposed to get half way across the world in a 24 hour period if not by airplane. If airplanes are a choice then so are GMOs because you can go forage for mushrooms.

GMOs are regulated. You may not trust or like the regulation, but they are regulated.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

We have pigs that can produce human insulin. The Georgia Eliava Institute is still researching exciting new directions.

And you could argue that air travel poses a far greater risk for a fatal pandemic than salmon genes in a strawberry.

Air travel is regulated and I have a choice about stepping onto an airplane or not. The GMO companies don't even want me to be able to look at a label and make the choice about whether to eat their food or not. This also pisses me off. If nothing else, surely we can agree that we have the right to know?

Um no actually, I think labeling is pointless much in the way I think labeling a cup of coffee as being "hot" is pointless.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, then. I want to know everything that is in my food and everything about my food, down to the last accidental cricket leg.

Um. I really don't think you actually want to know that. I mean, unless you have a very strong stomach. Just the amount of noxious stuff you put into your body by touching your face after touching a doorknob is bad enough. The things you ingest...oh man. Hope you're washing all of your produce with soap and water! :wink:

Hint: Poop.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Air travel is regulated and I have a choice about stepping onto an airplane or not.

Do you have a choice? News to me. Not sure how else I am supposed to get half way across the world in a 24 hour period if not by airplane. If airplanes are a choice then so are GMOs because you can go forage for mushrooms.

GMOs are regulated. You may not trust or like the regulation, but they are regulated.

I don't trust or like the regulation, that is precisely why I want to avoid GMOs, and in particular anything Monsanto profited from, since, as I already said, I have serious issues with their actions, particularly buying our regulators.

Also, cars and boats! Not that I'm likely to turn down a plane ride, but I can. The lobbyists for the food companies don't want me to have the knowledge to make that choice about GMOs.
  • Meerataila
    Options

We have pigs that can produce human insulin. The Georgia Eliava Institute is still researching exciting new directions.

And you could argue that air travel poses a far greater risk for a fatal pandemic than salmon genes in a strawberry.

Air travel is regulated and I have a choice about stepping onto an airplane or not. The GMO companies don't even want me to be able to look at a label and make the choice about whether to eat their food or not. This also pisses me off. If nothing else, surely we can agree that we have the right to know?

Um no actually, I think labeling is pointless much in the way I think labeling a cup of coffee as being "hot" is pointless.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, then. I want to know everything that is in my food and everything about my food, down to the last accidental cricket leg.

Um. I really don't think you actually want to know that. I mean, unless you have a very strong stomach. Just the amount of noxious stuff you put into your body by touching your face after touching a doorknob is bad enough. The things you ingest...oh man. Hope you're washing all of your produce with soap and water! :wink:

Hint: Poop.

Oh yes, I do want to know. I'm aware that when it gets down to a certain level, absolutely everything is filthy, though. Especially this keyboard I'm typing on. I can handle it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Dying in a pandemic spread by air travel is not a choice. Take a look at the spread of the H1N1 virus in 2009 if you want a snapshot of how travel interacts with disease.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I think that transparency is good. However, it's hard to sort out actionable information if there's too much data.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I don't trust or like the regulation, that is precisely why I want to avoid GMOs, and in particular anything Monsanto profited from, since, as I already said, I have serious issues with their actions, particularly buying our regulators.

Also, cars and boats! Not that I'm likely to turn down a plane ride, but I can. The lobbyists for the food companies don't want me to have the knowledge to make that choice about GMOs.

So grow your own food and harvest it yourself. You have time to take boats/cars all over the world so you must have time to grow your own produce.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Here is the problem with labels. If you label somethings but not other things you suggest that there is some issue with the labeled thing.

By analogy I assume you don't rape children however would likely object to having a label applied to you and only you affixed your forhead saying "Doesn't rape children" while no one else had to have such a label. Why is because the label itself is accurate and doesn't say anything bad itself its mere existance suggests to everyone who sees it that there must be something wrong with you, something to be concerned by and as a result people would avoid you but for no legitimate reason.

The reason GMOs shouldn't be labeled is it singles them out and suggests a problem or fault where none has been established.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Here is the problem with labels. If you label somethings but not other things you suggest that there is some issue with the labeled thing.

By analogy I assume you don't rape children however would likely object to having a label applied to you and only you affixed your forhead saying "Doesn't rape children" while no one else had to have such a label. Why is because the label itself is accurate and doesn't say anything bad itself its mere existance suggests to everyone who sees it that there must be something wrong with you, something to be concerned by and as a result people would avoid you but for no legitimate reason.

The reason GMOs shouldn't be labeled is it singles them out and suggests a problem or fault where none has been established.

I doubt most people will bother to read the label, much less refuse to buy something if it contains any GMO ingredient. But for those of us who do care, too bad if the food industry loses some money, the big players all have lobbyists. I want labels.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    GMO vs NON GMO does not affect weight loss as far as I know.

But I have to say it drives me crazy when people say that GMOs are fine because there is no evidence to prove its bad for your health. When in reality there is no epidemiological, long term studies at all. Therefore lack of evidence is just that - lack of evidence. So no one can say they are "good" or "bad"

The issue I have is that it is unnecessary. A significant portion of GMOs grown today are corn or soy. The genetic modification inserts a gene into the plant that prevents the plant from being killed by herbicides (most often Round-up, made by Monsanto). Herbicides are only necessary because of the extensive mono-cropping and using HUGE acres of land for one species. This makes it susceptible to weed over growth. So before GMOs farmers were still using round up they were simply being careful to only spray it on actual weeds. SO now they can spray the *kitten* out of everything in sight - now not only do we have GMOs but also larger amounts of herbicides on our food.

GMOs are not necessary if your a small-mid sized farm and use a variety of crops and a variety of pest and weed control management - "integrated pest management" which is using pesticides and herbicides only if necessary.

Should we take the chance(small or large) of negative health affects simply for convenience? To me it is a no...

Having said all that the entire food system is broken and it's too much time, effort and money to stay away from these things indefinitely. So I don't necessarily avoid GMOs like the plague. I just try to generally eat well.
  • Alluminati
    Options

But I have to say it drives me crazy when people say that GMOs are fine because there is no evidence to prove its bad for your health. When in reality there is no epidemiological, long term studies at all. Therefore lack of evidence is just that - lack of evidence. So no one can say they are "good" or "bad"

The issue I have is that it is unnecessary. A significant portion of GMOs grown today are corn or soy. The genetic modification inserts a gene into the plant that prevents the plant from being killed by herbicides (most often Round-up, made by Monsanto). Herbicides are only necessary because of the extensive mono-cropping and using HUGE acres of land for one species. This makes it susceptible to weed over growth. So before GMOs farmers were still using round up they were simply being careful to only spray it on actual weeds. SO now they can spray the *kitten* out of everything in sight - now not only do we have GMOs but also larger amounts of herbicides on our food.

GMOs are not necessary if your a small-mid sized farm and use a variety of crops and a variety of pest and weed control management - "integrated pest management" which is using pesticides and herbicides only if necessary.

Should we take the chance(small or large) of negative health affects simply for convenience? To me it is a no...

Having said all that the entire food system is broken and it's too much time, effort and money to stay away from these things indefinitely. So I don't necessarily avoid GMOs like the plague. I just try to generally eat well.

Yet life expectancy is longer than it's ever been. Yeah, ok.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    It must suck being so scared of food.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I doubt most people will bother to read the label, much less refuse to buy something if it contains any GMO ingredient. But for those of us who do care, too bad if the food industry loses some money, the big players all have lobbyists. I want labels.

Do you honestly believe that would only affect the food industry and not GMOs in general. Vaccines, insulin, therapeutics, diagnostics...all interelated, all dependent on GMO RND.
  • ParkerH47
    Options
    Not to mention GMOs are under patent laws, so now these plant varieties are under patents and have thus been "privatized", thus making monsanto a billion dollar herbicide company one of the first to own a species of plant and can defend that by law.
  • ParkerH47
    Options

haha. Are you suggesting that GMOs have increased life span? Because I would say its probably our medical, technological and sanitation advancements....
  • Meerataila
    Options

Do you honestly believe that would only affect the food industry and not GMOs in general. Vaccines, insulin, therapeutics, diagnostics...all interelated, all dependent on GMO RND.

No one is going to turn down life saving, life expanding, or health enhancing medication lightly, so I'm definitely not worried about that aspect.

And have you heard some of the commercials listing lethal side effects in cheery voices, even for drugs that arguably treat trivial conditions? And people still go ask the doctor for them.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Can you name one thing that is mandated to be labeled soley for the purpose of satisfying public curiosity and not because it is an active ingredient with dose dependent effects on the body? Some precedent for this.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Can you name one thing that is mandated to be labeled soley for the purpose of satisfying public curiosity and not because it is an active ingredient with dose dependent effects on the body? Some precedent for this.

Like we need precedent in our legal system? It's all about two things. Money, or fear of unrest. They have the money, time for us to get to the unrest.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pretty careful about what we eat. We don't eat anything with corn syrup, try to avoid corn products ( except popcorn, which I'm not sure is GMO). I buy wheat and rye that is organic and grind it in my own grinder. I also grind popcorn for fresh cornmeal because it just tastes better.
    It's never been real intentional and I do still by some non-organic veggies due to lack of good,fresh organic choices. I do have our own garden which is able to provide a lot of our veggies and when we move to NC, I hope to expand the garden and to also grow fruits,like peaches, apples, grapes,plums and berries.
    Mine has not really been an intentional avoidance of GMOs. We just eat very little processed foods, besides protein powder and the occasional pizza. I'm sure it has nothing to do with weight loss, besides the obvious benefits of avoiding cornbread, grits, polenta and sodas.
    Our food supply has become very corn and soy dominated,which I'm not sure is a great thing. Any time kids are exposed to a large amount of a single food source it increases the chance of food allergies.We don't eat a lot of corn in our house, although I grow some for fresh,corn on the cob, which we love.
    The other thing I dislike about GMOs is environmental. There is evidence that large, monoculture, round-up ready farms have impacted species such as the monarch butterfly and bees. There are simply less weeds of varieties that insects rely upon.
    My backyard is a safe-haven for the good insects as well as bad. ( need a few aphids and whiteflies to attract the good bugs!). I'm extremely careful about using even organic insecticides or round-up. We have a yard teeming with butterflies, bees and interesting bugs like praying mantis, plus all the birds that come with this type of environment. Not completely weed and pest free, but that's okay.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

haha. Are you suggesting that GMOs have increased life span? Because I would say its probably our medical, technological and sanitation advancements....

YES. A MILLION TIMES YES. GMOs have increased our average lifespans tremendously and if you are ignorant of that clear fact then I question whether or not you know what we rely heavily on GMOs to produce.