To GMO or Non-GMO

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Did I say anything about Marxism? Cause I thought we were talking about power grabs in the name of the "greater good"

We're talking about the death penalty for a for-profit corporation that is corrupting our government even more than it already was, then nationalizing it for the greater good, no quotation marks required.
    You're talking about outright theft. And giving even more power to the most corrupt and powerful entity in the country. What could go wrong?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member

Then go after THEM, not GMOs. That is all I am saying. Anyways, I keep trying to bow out and fail to do so, maybe I will just look away for a bit. Cheers.

One more thing from me, too, then I'm done. By the way, I do suggest we go after them and sweep every politician who takes corporate money and every lobbyist out.

But do you know what will really strike the death blow to this research? If failure to regulate ever results in deaths and people figure out GMOs caused the deaths. I certainly wouldn't advocate covering up the cause of those deaths, I hope you wouldn't either. Regardless, if it ever happens, it will make what happened to stem cell research look like a minor setback.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Did I say anything about Marxism? Cause I thought we were talking about power grabs in the name of the "greater good"

We're talking about the death penalty for a for-profit corporation that is corrupting our government even more than it already was, then nationalizing it for the greater good, no quotation marks required.

That's what Stalin said.
  • Meerataila

You're talking about outright theft. And giving even more power to the most corrupt and powerful entity in the country. What could go wrong?

Their lobbyists stole our entire legal system by getting politicians to give them immunity. Not worried about what happens to that company, the sooner it ceases to exist the better.
  • Meerataila

That's what Stalin said.

We're talking about America, who said anything about Russia? By the way, American law also allows for a corporate death penalty.
  • likitisplit
    I get some people are paranoid about GMOs and what could be done by companies driven by a profit line. I do get that and I do think there should be regulation as with any product.

Here is my own brand of paranoia. Back in the 90s the United States had gotten onto the cutting edge with research associated with the study of stem cells. Some people found out that the source of stem cells for research purposes was cord blood. They had ethical issue with the idea of using "baby-parts" (their view of it not mine) for research and complained bitterly about it. Here is the thing though, that is just one possible source and just one way of doing things. Yet what happened, public attention was drawn to it, it got national news coverage, it became a debate on ethics and on fear of run-away science blah blah nothing actually having to do with what it could mean for medicine. So what happens? Well some laws get passes specifically about the embryonic cells. Whats the harm in that? Well the harm is there is limited research funding out there and people do risk-benefit analysis and with the public opinion and general fear over woooo stem cells out there the research funding dried up and the U.S. stem cell research withered and died. Not just the embryonic based...pretty much all of it.

So I'm really not sure why taking your concern about Monsanto, making it about GMOs and then calling for labeling laws is somehow not exactly the same thing and would not most likely cause a similar reaction if it caught on. If you have a real reason to be concerned about GMOs other than a generic "who knows what will happen" wooo fear response then okay but if thats it then I'd prefer we keep the research going because of the evident good we can do here.

Alright rant over.

Thank you Meerata I've enjoyed the discussion and bear you no ill will (hope you didn't think I was upset). I just think since this is MFP and all I should probably stop posting on this as it is pretty off topic for what MFP is about. We agreed from the beginning that GMOs have nothing to do with weight loss so after that was said really had nothing else to say on the OPs topic or anything that would concern the MFP community.

Another source of stem cells is artificially created embryos. The people who are concerned with medically induced abortions did have a dog in that fight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

Their lobbyists stole our entire legal system by getting politicians to give them immunity. Not worried about what happens to that company, the sooner it ceases to exist the better.
    And what's a little harmless unconstitutional power grab as long as you approve of the ends, right?

The lunacy of putting the federal government -- you know, the guys who you say got bought out in the first place -- in charge seems to have escaped you in your rage against Monsanto. If the rule of law can be cast aside to go after your enemy, it can surely be cast aside to go after you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

Then go after THEM, not GMOs. That is all I am saying. Anyways, I keep trying to bow out and fail to do so, maybe I will just look away for a bit. Cheers.

One more thing from me, too, then I'm done. By the way, I do suggest we go after them and sweep every politician who takes corporate money and every lobbyist out.

But do you know what will really strike the death blow to this research? If failure to regulate ever results in deaths and people figure out GMOs caused the deaths. I certainly wouldn't advocate covering up the cause of those deaths, I hope you wouldn't either. Regardless, if it ever happens, it will make what happened to stem cell research look like a minor setback.

I think you are confusing food regulations with nutritional/dietary supplement regulations.

The FDA regulates current GMO foods in the same way as non-GMO foods because the GMO products have already been tested for potential allergenic and teratogenic properties and none have been found. (New products would have to hold up to the same rigorous testing.) Food safety is tightly regulated by the FDA.

Nutritional supplements have largely been deregulated due to lobbying. The FDA can only regulate supplements retroactively because the onus is on them to prove that supplements are hazardous rather than on the supplement manufacturer to prove they are safe. This is due to voters in the 90's writing congress to prevent regulation following numerous ephedra-related deaths.

It's sort of funny...20 years ago, people were writing Congress to stay out of their medicine cabinets despite a wealth of data that many nutritional supplements are harmful, ineffective, and/or contain none of the ingredients on the label. Today we have a biotechnology that is literally saving lives and has shown to produce crops identical to non-GMO products, and people want it labeled.

American voters will stop at nothing to get their way so they can regret it a couple decades later.
  • Meerataila

And what's a little harmless unconstitutional power grab as long as you approve of the ends, right?

The lunacy of putting the federal government -- you know, the guys who you say got bought out in the first place -- in charge seems to have escaped you in your rage against Monsanto. If the rule of law can be cast aside to go after your enemy, it can surely be cast aside to go after you.

The federal government is already in charge. Big money owns it. I propose we remove the grip of big money from it, control it ourselves, and prevent companies like Monsanto from obtaining immunity from lawsuits and other such nonsense. But hey, if you'd prefer anarchy, we could discuss that option, too.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

I think you are confusing food regulations with nutritional/dietary supplement regulations.

The FDA regulates current GMO foods in the same way as non-GMO foods because the GMO products have already been tested for potential allergenic and teratogenic properties and none have been found. (New products would have to hold up to the same rigorous testing.) Food safety is tightly regulated by the FDA.

Nutritional supplements have largely been deregulated due to lobbying. The FDA can only regulate supplements retroactively because the onus is on them to prove that supplements are hazardous rather than on the supplement manufacturer to prove they are safe. This is due to voters in the 90's writing congress to prevent regulation following numerous ephedra-related deaths.

It's sort of funny...20 years ago, people were writing Congress to stay out of their medicine cabinets despite a wealth of data that many nutritional supplements are harmful, ineffective, and/or contain none of the ingredients on the label. Today we have a biotechnology that is literally saving lives and has shown to produce crops identical to non-GMO products, and people want it labeled.

American voters will stop at nothing to get their way so they can regret it a couple decades later.

Exactly my point. Suppose its a big assumption to make but I'm going to guess you work in the sciences as well?
  • Meerataila

Exactly my point. Suppose its a big assumption to make but I'm going to guess you work in the sciences as well?

I understand where both of you are coming from. But if you want a smart voting citizenry, educate them. Don't keep them ignorant. That is literally the worst, as well as most unethical solution to the problem.
  • likitisplit

That's what Stalin said.

We're talking about America, who said anything about Russia? By the way, American law also allows for a corporate death penalty.

Not for profitable companies who are (currently) obeying US law.
  • songbyrdsweet

Yes, just finished my doctorate in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise. My dissertation was on probiotics and metabolism...I know about what the FDA can and cannot do.
  • songbyrdsweet

I understand where both of you are coming from. But if you want a smart voting citizenry, educate them. Don't keep them ignorant. That is literally the worst, as well as most unethical solution to the problem.

If you think adding a label to a package equates to educating the public, you have far more faith in humanity than I do! ;) I don't have anything against the labeling itself, but here's the problem: The Timing.

10 years ago, adding a GMO label would have meant little or nothing to the public. Most people didn't even know GMO's existed. Now people know they exist, but because so few are biotechnologists, they don't really understand what they are. That perpetuates fear. The anti-science movement is very popular right now, as evidenced by the epidemic of MMR in the US. This is absolutely the worst time to add a GMO label and perpetuate unfounded beliefs that GMO's are something 'other' than plain old food. People will go: "Ah HA! I told you so! GMO's are dangerous so the FDA had to label them!"

If you really want to educate people, EDUCATE them. Don't placate them.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

Yes, just finished my doctorate in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise. My dissertation was on probiotics and metabolism...I know about what the FDA can and cannot do.

Very cool topic. Think there is a future market for customized microbiomes for nutrition or dietary supplementation?
  • Meerataila

If you think adding a label to a package equates to educating the public, you have far more faith in humanity than I do! ;) I don't have anything against the labeling itself, but here's the problem: The Timing.

10 years ago, adding a GMO label would have meant little or nothing to the public. Most people didn't even know GMO's existed. Now people know they exist, but because so few are biotechnologists, they don't really understand what they are. That perpetuates fear. The anti-science movement is very popular right now, as evidenced by the epidemic of MMR in the US. This is absolutely the worst time to add a GMO label and perpetuate unfounded beliefs that GMO's are something 'other' than plain old food. People will go: "Ah HA! I told you so! GMO's are dangerous so the FDA had to label them!"

The label wouldn't be a problem for an educated citizenry that has a reason to have at least a speck of faith in the regulatory process. Instead we have a poorly educated citizenry that is nevertheless aware enough to know our system is corrupted. Your solution is more ignorance by refusing to tell us what is in the food we put in our own bodies. That sort of thinking is not conducive to a democratic society. Not that we have one of those, but someday I'd sure like to.
  • songbyrdsweet

Very cool topic. Think there is a future market for customized microbiomes for nutrition or dietary supplementation?

RePOOPulant (I kid you not)--an oral supplement of bacteria extracted from human fecal matter--has been effective in treating C. diff, which you may know is an extremely virulent pathogenic bacteria common in hospital infections. You can crap yourself to death with C. diff. Family members usually donate their feces and a pharmacy prepares it, then the patient ingests it. I believe it's been used effectively in treating (not curing) some symptoms of ulcerative colitis. However, family members tend to have very similar microbiome profiles which makes enrichment (adding specific strains) easier, and the RePOOPulant contains a known dosage.

Dietary supplement probiotics are a different story entirely. Because the FDA doesn't regulate the safety, efficacy, or accuracy of labeling, you really have no idea what you're getting. Most probiotics interventions in human clinical trials show little to no effect on metabolic markers, though some do reduce body weight. But the dosing is all over the place, and the bacterial genome is FAR greater than our own, so how do you even decide what strain to pick? You just do what the guy before you did...hence all the focus on Lacto and Acido.

If you happen to be a mouse or a rat, probiotics are incredibly effective. Why is there a difference? Who knows. Mice eat their own poop regularly and the probiotics are not native to the mouse gut, so there are huge confounding factors. You could eat your own poop and see what happens (seriously, it probably won't make you sick).

I ended my dissertation presentation by basically saying there is just a paucity of evidence that a limited number of probiotic strains have any benefit to humans, and that is after my project was funded by a probiotics company. Of course everyone hoped there would be incredible effects, but...data is what it is.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    I only eat GMO foods, never been healthier.

Come at me.
  • songbyrdsweet

The label wouldn't be a problem for an educated citizenry that has a reason to have at least a speck of faith in the regulatory process. Instead we have a poorly educated citizenry that is nevertheless aware enough to know our system is corrupted. Your solution is more ignorance by refusing to tell us what is in the food we put in our own bodies. That sort of thinking is not conducive to a democratic society. Not that we have one of those, but someday I'd sure like to.

Did you miss the part where the supplement industry was deregulated by lobbyists and supported by millions of voters who literally wrote to their Congressmen to tell them not to allow the FDA to increase regulations? That is what the 'educated' citizenry did. Shot themselves in the feet.

Most people don't even know the regulatory process, nor to they care to find out. It's pretty boring. How do they decide to have faith in it? I mean, honestly, did you know any of it before I wrote about it?
  • songbyrdsweet
    I only eat GMO foods, never been healthier.

Come at me.

Have you developed your cold-resistant super powers yet? I sure haven't. :(

I thought I was supposed to absorb the powers of my adversaries by ingesting their flesh!