Best workouts to tone abs???

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It wasn't what they suggested that bothered me, I agree, and none of you know me nor do you know what I eat so you have no room to say anything about that, I was just looking for some additional ab workouts to do that maybe I hadn't heard of before to add to the other workouts (not just abs) that I already do.
    But, what bothered me was the fact that he and some others felt they needed to be jerks and add the sarcasm of "best exercise for your abs at this point would be putting down the fork or spoon and pushing yourself away from the table." That's what bothered me.
    You can still give alternative advice from what someone was asking without putting them down. So grow up and learn how to treat people with some kindness and I guarantee you that you would have never said that to my face so quit hiding behind a computer screen when you try and insult someone.

No one was actually putting you down. It's a common response to the question you posted.

Common Post:

OP: What exercises can I do to tone my abs?
    Response: Fork put downs and table push backs

Same answer given to the same question day in and day out. Intent is not to be anything more than funny while being accurate at the same time.

Regarding the two, "You wouldn't say that to someone's face" remarks. As someone who trains people and has several friends and family ask for advice, YES, I have and will. I have yet to have someone stomp off or try to attack me over it. Never has it been said in a way to be harmful.
  • mkflores7035
    Options
    you will find what works for you. just don't give up. The key is patience...Don't give up. I recently lost 60 pounds, and it was a slow process, but I just live each day. I take what advice I want and leave the rest. I do agree sometimes people that don't know you can be harsh, but just don't let them get to you.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    You guys have been a bit harsh, don't you think? If you wanted to make a point then think about how you might be coming across and treat her with some respect. If you had said this to a woman in real,life you would have probably had your face slapped.

Nuff said.

The fact that honest and direct is now viewed as "harsh" is telling about today's society. Candy coating things and telling people what they want to hear rather than what they need to does not help. Enabling is not support.

It's not candy coating, it's called having a heart.
  • fit_gal
    Options
    You guys have been a bit harsh, don't you think? If you wanted to make a point then think about how you might be coming across and treat her with some respect. If you had said this to a woman in real,life you would have probably had your face slapped.

Nuff said.

Not really. The honest truth is calorie deficit to lose weight, which if done correctly means losing fat. Weightlifting can help retain current muscle to make her look leaner at goal, giving her a better chance at what she wants...nice abs. Therefore, answering her question. It doesn't have to fit in a perfectly bow ribbon tied box. I would rather a hundred harsh truths than sugarcoated lies about how to obtain something I wish.

Telling someone to put down the fork was uncalled for. Dont you think members on here are already doing that? Its obvious eating less at deficit etc will help, but the replies weren't helpful at all.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Nuff said.

The fact that honest and direct is now viewed as "harsh" is telling about today's society. Candy coating things and telling people what they want to hear rather than what they need to does not help. Enabling is not support.

What's a heart?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Nuff said.

Not really. The honest truth is calorie deficit to lose weight, which if done correctly means losing fat. Weightlifting can help retain current muscle to make her look leaner at goal, giving her a better chance at what she wants...nice abs. Therefore, answering her question. It doesn't have to fit in a perfectly bow ribbon tied box. I would rather a hundred harsh truths than sugarcoated lies about how to obtain something I wish.

Telling someone to put down the fork was uncalled for. Dont you think members on here are already doing that? Its obvious eating less at deficit etc will help, but the replies weren't helpful at all.

Perhaps you and others need to stop taking things so personally. As others have said, that phrase is used a TON to express that calorie deficit is a necessity for fat loss.

If you cannot handle varying ways of expression and not get all bent out of shape, perhaps the internet needs to be put down. Taking words with a grain of salt and objectively would probably help.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Nuff said.

it honestly baffles me how anyone makes it through real life on a daily basis with all of the things out there that are far more harmful and offensive then an internet response. If you're offended by someone laying out the truth and giving constructive criticism then you have larger issues to iron out.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Wow. The only response I can come up with to all this whining

handle-the-truth.gif
  • fit_gal
    Options

Nuff said.

it honestly baffles me how anyone makes it through real life on a daily basis with all of the things out there that are more far more harmful. If you're offended by someone laying out the truth and giving constructive criticism then you have larger issues to iron out.

Perhaps I do. I just dont like seeing people getting put down on here. If that's an 'issue' them shoot me down.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Nuff said.

it honestly baffles me how anyone makes it through real life on a daily basis with all of the things out there that are more far more harmful. If you're offended by someone laying out the truth and giving constructive criticism then you have larger issues to iron out.

Perhaps I do. I just dont like seeing people getting put down on here. If that's an 'issue' them shoot me down.

It wasn't putting anyone down. It's a varied phrase from "calorie deficit to lose fat". That'd exactly how that read to me. Same as "abs are made in the kitchen" which is the same as "fork put downs and table push backs". I'm sorry you and OP saw that are offensive. It's all perspective. I can turn a lot of words on the internet into mean words if I read into them with the right angle. Ya know? :/
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Nuff said.

It wasn't putting anyone down. It's a varied phrase from "calorie deficit to lose fat". That'd exactly how that read to me. Same as "abs are made in the kitchen" which is the same as "fork put downs and table push backs". I'm sorry you and OP saw that are offensive. It's all perspective. I can turn a lot of words on the internet into mean words if I read into them with the right angle. Ya know? :/

He was being sarcastic or trying to be funny, which obviously the OP didnt find funny. He could have just said calorie deficit and that would have answered the question or the other tired line on this site, you cant spot reduce.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I did not "put down" the OP nor did I see anyone else. I gave honest advice and I won't apologize for how it was worded. I even provided core strengthening exercise examples and a Mayo Clinic link!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Nuff said.

He was being sarcastic or trying to be funny, which obviously the OP didnt find funny. He could have just said calorie deficit and that would have answered the question or the other tired line on this site, you cant spot reduce.

I guess this is where everyone's different and express things in different ways and that's what makes us all beautiful butterflies. We should embrace the idea that different people are, in fact, different. Thicker skins, objectively taking info...etc etc etc
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates to strengthen my whole body. I've just posted my before and after pics for before Pilates and three weeks on. Doing cardio will also help with shedding the calories. Make sure you log everything you eat and keep to the calories allowed every single day.

2vdllcp.jpg
    This reply provided no valuable info to the OP's original post.
    Great, you like Pilates. I didn't offer my routine as advice.
    Pretty sure everyone knows cardio burns calories and without logging you don't know how many calories you are really consuming.
    And pics! Wow, different lighting, angle and white balance. What else am I supposed to notice?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I did not "put down" the OP nor did I see anyone else. I gave honest advice and I won't apologize for how it was worded. I even provided core strengthening exercise examples and a Mayo Clinic link!

^This. Instead of giving crap advice about planks and the like, dude gave an honest answer and even provided core strengthening info to a question that is asked multiple times a day!

What's next, someone asks for advice but puts a disclaimer on how the answer should be worded?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hiyah OP
    As other posts have advised the calorie deficit is important. I use fitness blender.com and look for total body workouts. If I had the space though I would invest in free weights and start heavy lifting. Good luck you can do it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I think most have pretty much answered the 6-pack question. BUT, that's not to say that you shouldn't do a little bit of Core training for overall stability and injury prevention. Sure things like squatting and deadlifting can help strengthen your Core, but it's not a bad idea to do some other Core work. Even something as simple as 3sets of back raises for 15 reps, or a set of Front & Side Planks.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the harsh "the best exercise for your abs at this point would be putting down the fork or spoon and pushing yourself away from the table." like I don't know that, and I have been doing that but, thanks for making me feel even more horrible about my body than I already do.

But, anyway, thanks to those of you who have really tried to help with encouraging tips. :-)

LoL, why is it that people start a post like this and then *cry* when they get a response they don't like but is the honest truth. You fully admitted in your original post that you know you cannot spot reduce but then turn around and ask for exercises to "do" just that. You then get upset when someone suggests that ABS are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

I have read multiple articles by very successful people, men and women, that this is in fact the truth. No planks, crunches or sit ups are going to help "tone" your abs. Diet is what causes your abs to be "toned".

It wasn't what they suggested that bothered me, I agree, and none of you know me nor do you know what I eat so you have no room to say anything about that, I was just looking for some additional ab workouts to do that maybe I hadn't heard of before to add to the other workouts (not just abs) that I already do.
    But, what bothered me was the fact that he and some others felt they needed to be jerks and add the sarcasm of "best exercise for your abs at this point would be putting down the fork or spoon and pushing yourself away from the table." That's what bothered me.
    You can still give alternative advice from what someone was asking without putting them down. So grow up and learn how to treat people with some kindness and I guarantee you that you would have never said that to my face so quit hiding behind a computer screen when you try and insult someone.

I dont think it was a put down. Anyone who wants to "toned" needs to lose fat. How do you lose fat?? Eat at a deficit. How do you eat at a defecit? PUT THE FORK DOWN AND MOVE FROM THE TABLE.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is a super-long post - firstly (and most importantly) addressing OP's question. After that, it's addressing the idea of what "having a heart" really is.

OP, I'm going to second the compound lifts. It's amazing how much squats really work your core.
    When I first started compound lifting, I had been in karate for three years and we do a ton of conventional "ab work". Planks, sit ups, etc. Squatting and deadlifting made me really feel my core. It's fantastic! I improved my posture drastically (which helped to make me look skinnier) and I also reduced back pain (save for DOMs after deads, ha ha!).

Recently, I injured my knee running and have been avoiding lifting during the recovery. I've moved to bodyweight exercises and have discovered that leg raises are not only challenging, but they work your core muscles really well. I feel it the next day for sure. It also helps because it doesn't have the same negative impacts on the back that crunches and such do. Added benefit, it's fun to hang from a bar/tree and it also helps to condition your arms and shoulders a bit. With proper form, it hits your back as well.

But no matter what, it will take time and a lot more weight. I'm 30+lbs down right now and I only have 18lbs to go - but I'm still not seeing visible abs. I don't have a balloon belly anymore, but I don't have flat abs. Not even close. I don't expect to see that until I'm 8lbs or less from my goal. I don't expect anything that could come close to "visible" until I hit 18% BF - and even then, I may not see it.

Don't get attached to the idea of having washboard abs. It's harder to obtain than you think. Instead, just focus on the process and the step by step. Focus on working your core and your abs more for function than fashion (but retain vanity goals - it's not bad). Enjoy the feeling of being more powerful in your every day movements and the knowledge that you're not just losing weight, but making sure that your body is well trained to handle the stresses of life.

And now to address the whole idea of what "having a heart" really means.

Nuff said.

No, that is not called "having a heart". It's called "sugar coating" to think you can be a friend and let someone while away and not obtain what they are truly capable of, to draw some shining curtain over their failures in some misguided attempt to save their feelings.

Having a heart is having the courage to be direct with feedback that no one wants to hear. It's opening yourself up to being called a "bully" or a "meanie" or a "*kitten*" by telling someone the truth they need to hear. It's the resilience to continue to tell them "no, honey, put the fork down and work compound lifts - it will help more than just your 'abs' and you will find the progress you're looking for" in spite of all the "bleeding hearts" like you who would rather slow and derail and sugar coat the OPs problems rather than help her gain the courage and fortitude to face them with strength and determination.

Having a heart is being willing to be seen as a villain by the people you're trying to help and knowing that, with time, they will obtain the goals they have set for themselves.

Having a heart is being selfless enough to tell it as it is, regardless of how many people will ***** you out for it and how many times you will be called mean or thoughtless.

Having a heart is caring enough to really invest in someone - to take it to heart when they fail and to get frustrated by that because you know that they're able to be better than their failures and it hurts to see them fail.

If I'm a douche bag mean bully who doesn't "have a heart" because I know that OP can obtain the body she wants once she works through the immediate (and understandable) feelings of defensiveness, then so be it. I'll proudly be some douche bag bully who is "mean" and doesn't "have a heart". I don't care what you think of me, I care what OP accomplishes.

Because that's why we're here - we're not here to commiserate in our failures. We're here to break down our bad habits and build up better ones.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the harsh "the best exercise for your abs at this point would be putting down the fork or spoon and pushing yourself away from the table." like I don't know that, and I have been doing that but, thanks for making me feel even more horrible about my body than I already do.

But, anyway, thanks to those of you who have really tried to help with encouraging tips. :-)

So you would rather have cheerleaders rather than legit advice...got it.

You go You! Yay