Turning on the BS Detector

Options
/begin rant

I was in a small gym today and overheard a "personal trainer" telling a client that he should be eating no more than 1500 cal a day, 250 cal at a time, to "maintain his weight" while working out six days a week for forty-five minutes. This guidance was given in the middle of a "circuit workout" that the trainer claimed was generating a 1000 cal/hour burn even though the client maintained a non-stop conversation while exercising. The client was 5'8" and, as far as I could tell, of average weight and fitness. He was, based on his workout, probably new to training.

I think it is a safe bet that this beginner was getting bad nutrition advice in the midst of a badly designed exercise program that won't accomplish anything unless his goal is hanging out in a gym for six hours a week. And paying for it. Given the gym, probably paying a lot for it. And I would go double or nothing on the bet that the "personal trainer" actually has little training in nutrition, exercise physiology, and from the instructions he was dispensing, designing or guiding an exercise program.

Why am I writing this? Because there are a lot of good personal trainers out there. They get good training. They keep themselves up to date. They don't dispense bullsh-t or magical shortcuts, just hard work in the form of good exercise prescriptions. And if you are a beginner or new to methodical training and want to work with a personal trainer, you need to find one. And do what he or she says.

And how do you know that they know what they are doing? You ask about their training and certifications. You ask about their nutrition and training philosophy. You ask them how they work with injuries, what science their programs are based upon, whether they specialize in certain kinds of sports, and if you can talk with one or two of their most successful clients.

And then you turn on the bullsh-t detector and check every single thing they say to you. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Always. Lose four pounds a week? BS. 1500 cal workouts without sweat? BS. Ten pounds of new muscle in a month? BS. Living on 1300 cal/day and gaining muscle? BS, unless you are a hobbit.

Why should you do this? Because a bad trainer will waste a lot of your time and money (best case) or injure you badly enough to disable you (worst case). And because, for every good trainer out there are two or three or more bad trainers (most of whom don't seem to know they are bad) waiting for you and you, as a beginner, can't tell the difference.

/end rant

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    As a certified PT since 1998, I whole heartedly agree with this. There are even "old school" trainers who still adhere to the broscience still being passed around the fitness industry today.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Trooth.

Kills me when people slam all personal "trainers". yeah there are bad ones- but they aren't ALL bad.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    As a certified PT since 1998, I whole heartedly agree with this. There are even "old school" trainers who still adhere to the broscience still being passed around the fitness industry today.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I get to watch our one and only trainers workout two women who want to "make their waist smaller".

They basically do partner sit up stuff for an hour....and maybe some lunges.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I get to watch our one and only trainers workout two women who want to "make their waist smaller".

They basically do partner sit up stuff for an hour....and maybe some lunges.

Lol.... Same thing happens in my gym. We have some really good trainers and some horrible trainers.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    .....And how do you know that they know what they are doing? You ask about their training and certifications. You ask about their nutrition and training philosophy. You ask them how they work with injuries, what science their programs are based upon, whether they specialize in certain kinds of sports, and if you can talk with one or two of their most successful clients.

And then you turn on the bullsh-t detector and check every single thing they say to you. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Always. Lose four pounds a week? BS. 1500 cal workouts without sweat? BS. Ten pounds of new muscle in a month? BS. Living on 1300 cal/day and gaining muscle? BS, unless you are a hobbit......

sounds good in theory but doesn't tend to be very effective IRL

the typical newbie doesn't know the right answers to these questions so they can ask them all they want, but will have no idea if they answers they get are good or bad. if they already knew the right answers, they wouldn't be looking for a trainer. the "BS detector" will just be that "good feeling" they got when the trainer, good or bad, looked them directly in the eye and told them things without stuttering. if it sounds legit enough, they'll believe it, no matter how insane. this is basically what happens to me when i ask a mechanic what's wrong with my car.

and no one ever ever ever asks about certifications but it's a bunch of alphabet soup and the general population doesn't recognize one that requires extensive education and knowledge from one that i could get by mailing in cereal box tops. this is basically what happens to me when i'm trying to figure out which powerlifting organization a person holds their particular age record in.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The saddest part is most people can only afford a personal trainer for a short time and will only give them a shot once in their lives so that bad experience can "set" a person's misconceptions of fitness for life. They also are under the misconception that all trainers are the same and have some kind of borg like grasp of "THE" knowledge about fitness/nutrition.

This is ONE circumstance where I wouldn't blame you if you spoke up at some point when the trainer isn't around and it's not awkward. Of course the disageeeing will be awkward but you could at least make it less so by holding your tongue until that person is working out alone.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Wait, you're a certified PT??
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's rather easy to become a trainer and many don't have the experience behind them. Some may not have the experience but are very good at applying their knowledge, depends on who you get.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    /begin rant

I was in a small gym today and overheard a "personal trainer" telling a client that he should be eating no more than 1500 cal a day, 250 cal at a time, to "maintain his weight" while working out six days a week for forty-five minutes. This guidance was given in the middle of a "circuit workout" that the trainer claimed was generating a 1000 cal/hour burn even though the client maintained a non-stop conversation while exercising. The client was 5'8" and, as far as I could tell, of average weight and fitness. He was, based on his workout, probably new to training.

I think it is a safe bet that this beginner was getting bad nutrition advice in the midst of a badly designed exercise program that won't accomplish anything unless his goal is hanging out in a gym for six hours a week. And paying for it. Given the gym, probably paying a lot for it. And I would go double or nothing on the bet that the "personal trainer" actually has little training in nutrition, exercise physiology, and from the instructions he was dispensing, designing or guiding an exercise program.

Why am I writing this? Because there are a lot of good personal trainers out there. They get good training. They keep themselves up to date. They don't dispense bullsh-t or magical shortcuts, just hard work in the form of good exercise prescriptions. And if you are a beginner or new to methodical training and want to work with a personal trainer, you need to find one. And do what he or she says.

And how do you know that they know what they are doing? You ask about their training and certifications. You ask about their nutrition and training philosophy. You ask them how they work with injuries, what science their programs are based upon, whether they specialize in certain kinds of sports, and if you can talk with one or two of their most successful clients.

And then you turn on the bullsh-t detector and check every single thing they say to you. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Always. Lose four pounds a week? BS. 1500 cal workouts without sweat? BS. Ten pounds of new muscle in a month? BS. Living on 1300 cal/day and gaining muscle? BS, unless you are a hobbit.

Why should you do this? Because a bad trainer will waste a lot of your time and money (best case) or injure you badly enough to disable you (worst case). And because, for every good trainer out there are two or three or more bad trainers (most of whom don't seem to know they are bad) waiting for you and you, as a beginner, can't tell the difference.

/end rant

I have a trainer currently and i sometimes have to weed out the good science mixed in with his bro science.
    He keeps telling me that bad carbs are going to make me gain fat, too much bloating makes me gain fat, and that i should be losing more than 2lbs a week. :huh:

Today he complimented me by saying my arms "looked more toned".. I just shivered in anguish.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    ugh. that sucks.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My wife recently consulted a personal trainer who told her carbs were making her fat and that no amount of exercise would help her to lose weight if she kept having them.

We haven't been back to him since.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

first i've heard about it
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Living on 1300 cal/day and gaining muscle? BS, unless you are a hobbit......

I don't know... They walk EVERYWHERE, farm all their own food, and sometimes go on these crazy multi mile a day, multi month adventures... I'd imagine they'd need more thatn 1300 cals a day in order to maintain.

Plus, have you SEEN how much they eat to maintain their current body shape? There's no WAY they could build muscle on 1300 cals.

Just sayiin
  • kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    /begin rant

/end rant

Love this!
  • kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I don't know... They walk EVERYWHERE, farm all their own food, and sometimes go on these crazy multi mile a day, multi month adventures... I'd imagine they'd need more thatn 1300 cals a day in order to maintain.

Plus, have you SEEN how much they eat to maintain their current body shape? There's no WAY they could build muscle on 1300 cals.

Just sayiin

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You should add me. I knows my stuff.:wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310543-the-no-bs-exercise-instruction-thread?hl=the+no+bs+exercise
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie

IDEA Fitness member
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options

Just sayiin

Bahahaha this just made my day! Thank you!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I dunno... it doesn't say anything about stuff knowing in your signature.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IDK so far I'm just deciding to start eating more carbs just so I can start cutting my boxtops. That way next time I get invited to Curves as someone's guest "plus one" and end up being told by anyone that I should be a personal trainer "We're HIRING" because the way I talk/help is "so motivating" I might feel a little more qualified and might actually go for it. Shoot, a little extra money never hurt anyone and the personal trainer... who measured me, I think I could do that. Except the calipers, I'd need extensive training on those. Calipers are hard.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310543-the-no-bs-exercise-instruction-thread?hl=the+no+bs+exercise
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, now I see it says that in your signature. Sorry it was a little TL: DR