that one healthy food you hate...

kayte660
kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
For me, it's carrots. My whole life, and I'm 30, I have detested them. But they are good for you, and in most steamed veggie blends I buy, so I'm trying so hard. I tell myself that I acquired a taste for beer, I can do this. But sometimes they literally make me gag and I'm glad my dogs like them. What's your worst "good" food and how do you handle eating it?

Replies

• HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Just one? lol

I can't eat mushrooms. Sometimes I make myself eat avocado, even though I think it tastes like clay. I also don't like beats, but I'll eat them over radishes!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Do beets qualify?

Otherwise, I'll take carrots over donuts any day.

For me, its the fun, junk food I really don't like.

Hate's a strong word.

I hate beets.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    I find it hard to get around the taste of leafy stuff like baby spinach, kale and swiss chard. I love them if they are cooked right or have the right flavours with them. Sometimes i stuff it up though and have to eat around it haha.

By the way, I love carrots!

Oh and I thought of what I actually detest... CELERY! its vile.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I'd have to say peach cobbler, salt and vinegar potato chips, those little sesame sticks in the Gardettos, and peanut butter cookies.
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Not so wild about carrots either....unless they are cooked with pot roast
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    You know, you don't *have* to eat carrots. As long as there's plenty other veggies that you do eat, no harm no foul.

Kale. I cope by not eating it. Not worth it to me. I can get all that kale could possibly provide by eating mah spinach and broccoli and other greens.

Oh, and I don't like fruit. At all. I tried bananas for a week (cuz, ya know, the potassium and fiber), until I found out russet potatoes have far more potassium (and Vit C and fiber and stuff) than that. So, I don't eat fruit.

Also, my hubby was so kind to buy some Greek yogurts at the store for me, but he bought the fruity ones (I like plain w/ honey). Super nice of him and so thoughtful, but I ate them with a smile. Not worth hurting his feelings for doing me a kind favor.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,143 Member
    Fruit. I have a ridiculous distaste of fruit. I don't touch it, I don't like the way it smells, I won't eat foods that have been in contact with it.

I'll eat every vegetable you can name (except the ones that are actually fruit masquerading as vegies, filthy liars) but since I went on solids as a baby, I won't go near fruit.

Life is too short to eat foods you hate. There's not one food in the world that has something in it that you can't get somewhere else. While I believe in testing boundaries and getting as much variety as possible, if you truly hate something, just avoid it.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Brussels sprouts. Not a fan. I'll eat them if they are roasted with olive oil and salt and nice and crispy, but otherwise I can leave them. I don't see any reason to force myself to eat them unless I am at a family gathering - plenty of other ways to get those vitamins. I agree with the PP, no need to eat them if you hate them.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    De Winkel acidophilus yoghurt - I know it's good for you but it's runny and tasting awful. I'm not a big dairy fan anyway but I draw the line at thin watery yoghurt.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Oh man, I love carrots. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Especially if they're roasted.

The one thing that I just can't stand (despite my best efforts) is avocado. Every once in a while I try to use avocado in something, telling myself I'll like it... and I just don't. I can eat some guacamole with some chips or something, but I can't eat anything where I'm just biting into chunks of avocado. It's such a shame, because any time I get fresh spring rolls they seem to have wedges of avocado in them. Blegh.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Okra.

Goddam okra.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 308 Member
    Quinoa. I think it tastes like dirt...ick!
  • iamuniqueiam
    iamuniqueiam Posts: 68 Member
    Avocado. I don't know how people eat that slimy stuff.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Kale and bananas !
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Oh man, I love carrots. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Especially if they're roasted.

The one thing that I just can't stand (despite my best efforts) is avocado. Every once in a while I try to use avocado in something, telling myself I'll like it... and I just don't. I can eat some guacamole with some chips or something, but I can't eat anything where I'm just biting into chunks of avocado. It's such a shame, because any time I get fresh spring rolls they seem to have wedges of avocado in them. Blegh.

All the avocado hate! That's okay, more for me :drinker:
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Salmon, and most fish... I only eat halibut and canned sardines, but very rarely. I have no issues with fruit, veggies, nuts, dairy and any other healthy foods.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Quinoa. I think it tastes like dirt...ick!

Do you rinse it very well before cooking it? If the quinoa you get doesn't come pre-rinsed there is a bitter outer coating that occurs naturally on it while it grows (to keep insects off).
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Same with the carrots. Carrots are my least favorite food after celery. Celery is the worst, because when it's cooked, it taints all of the other foods in the dish with awful celery taste.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Egg whites. I can't do egg whites. I can do the one-whole-and-two-whites scrambled eggs for breakfast, and that's yummy enough. I tried to put a couple boiled eggs in my salad this evening and just... no. I mostly ate the yolk and left a lot of white. Nope.

I could LIVE off avocado. My word. You guys. Avocado! Yum!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,007 Member
    There are actually a few but I will name two...

Most fruit and protein powder...so there goes most smoothies...
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Mushrooms! Though I am slowly trying to get used to them... So far their is only one type I have tried that I am OK with. Am not sure what they were called but I had them in a bowl of ramen.
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Maybe its the way you are eating them. I never liked beets as a kid because my mother only bought canned.

Try buying carrots fresh (not frozen) and roast them with seasoning.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Raw tomatoes and olives.
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    tofu :noway:
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Spinach.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Avocados, tomatoes.....cannot stand either. Would rather not eat at all. Went on vacation once when I was a child. Before we got to my Aunt's house my mom said "Eat what is offered or suffer my consequence" We walk in, what does she have to eat? Tomato sandwiches! Still scarred from that experience :(
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    I am not a fan of veggie burgers so I do not eat them. They taste like what I imagine garbage would taste like.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Raw broccoli and raw cauliflower. Cooked is fine though for some reason lol
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Mushrooms. I've never eaten a mushroom and not felt like I was chewing on a human finger.

Calamari I don't like for the same reason (though I realize it's not exactly a 'health food'). People have told me that if these foods are prepared correctly, they aren't chewy, but I've yet to experience this.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Cottage cheese. Major warfare over it when I was a kid. I think it tastes foul.