I Stopped a Binge Right in its Tracks

Options
13»

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    That just made me cry! I have been really struggling for a while now , you know, that binging and hating myself cycle, but your really inspiring story has hit a part of me that wants to step away from that part of me that goes into self destruct.

I have had an eating disorder too and feel like it creeps up and envelopes me every now and again,, it's like my invisible cloak!

You are very brave, to share your story in such a honest way and from the many responses you have had, you have touched many people.

I wish you the very best of luck on your weight loss journey,, and thank you for helping me on mine!

Well, your response made me tear up, so we're even :) All good thoughts to you. It is a hard road, but we're going in the right direction!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Decent post. At first I was like "Where is she going with this?" and then I understood. Way to dig to the root! Keep up the good work.

That's funny. All my stories in real life start that way too. My mother has learned to wait it out until the point eventually arrives.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Just wow to your honesty, courage and strength to keep focused on your goals. Thank you for sharing....so awesome. What a victory!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Sorry if I'm thanking too much, but I say it again to everyone. I feel more hopeful with all the support.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This is amazing you should feel so very proud of yourself!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have done the opposite thing, when I would get emotional I'd starve myself, for attention.

However, the last time I wanted to do that (years ago) I stopped, realized that it was unhealthy both physically AND emotionally. Not only that, but suuuuper manipulative!

I'm very happy for you that you saw it coming and took care of yourself. Good job. :)
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome accomplishment! Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    So much awesome in this post.
    Good for you.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I thought you'd like to know that your story helped me stay within my calorie goal today. I read it last night and recalled it today when I was having a meltdown. All I wanted was to eat piles of my husband's birthday cake, but I held off because I remembered your post. Thanks for inspiring me!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Well done for dealing with such strong emotions. I can empathise with those feelings so much and can damage my diet with emotional eating/ binging. Posts like this, and it is such a brave one, are so helpful in helping me to unravel things in my life that I am not comfortable with .Thank you with all my heart for posting this, as well thank you to those who have also put their issues to the forum,:love:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    BRAVO! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Well done for dealing with such strong emotions. I can empathise with those feelings so much and can damage my diet with emotional eating/ binging. Posts like this, and it is such a brave one, are so helpful in helping me to unravel things in my life that I am not comfortable with .Thank you with all my heart for posting this, as well thank you to those who have also put their issues to the forum,:love:

Oh, thank you so much. All my best to you.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    I thought you'd like to know that your story helped me stay within my calorie goal today. I read it last night and recalled it today when I was having a meltdown. All I wanted was to eat piles of my husband's birthday cake, but I held off because I remembered your post. Thanks for inspiring me!

Wow, that means a lot. So many good thoughts--you did all the work.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This touches me deeply not so much because of the dietary control you exercised (although that's mighty impressive for sure!) but I am dumbfounded and blown away by your willingness to accept responsibility for your behavior toward your friend. I disagree with anyone who would tell you that you did nothing wrong --- you did, and you know it and you admit it. You had every right to avoid whatever circumstance you wish, it's the way that you did it, with carelessness and dishonesty that made it wrong. There's a difference. It's rarely that we hurt each other with our end intention, but usually HOW we assert that intention that is destructive to relationships. I have so much admiration for you and your ability to see that and to own it, especially publicly.

It's all too easy for us to justify our mean and careless behavior with righteous indignation about preserving our rights, but the truth is we do owe each other honesty and kindness, compassion and warmth. Your realization is soooo rare. I have been on both ends of such exchanges, and I have to say that both are excruciatingly painful when you have these realizations, so I want to offer you solace for the pain you are experiencing of your own. Although the outcome was good (realization, growth, positive behaviors toward eating), it has to be PAINFUL to process that post and then to write it out and to post it. You deserve a second chance and I hope that you will consider (without regard for outcome) writing your friend a heartfelt letter taking ownership of what happened and putting your heart on the line. Risk everything. And whether she accepts it or not, you will find incredible healing and comfort for having done so. We do unspeakable things to each other to protect our vulnerabilities, but when we offer those vulnerabilities up as gifts to each other, the benefits can be just as profound as the damage done by protecting them.

If I were her, I would feel lucky to count you as a friend ... *HUG*
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    MFP shared a quote on Pinterest this week - "If hunger isn't the issue, then food isn't the answer''. The little voice of wisdom in my head repeated it back to me yesterday. It's a good one! :smile:
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think you told us how to correctly deal with a potential binge. Thank you and sorry for your pain.
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hugs...isn't it odd how the faraway past can still hurt so much sometimes? Congrats for not using food for comfort on a super emotional day... Please do not ask to get off the bus in bad neighborhoods, though!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    This touches me deeply not so much because of the dietary control you exercised (although that's mighty impressive for sure!) but I am dumbfounded and blown away by your willingness to accept responsibility for your behavior toward your friend. I disagree with anyone who would tell you that you did nothing wrong --- you did, and you know it and you admit it. You had every right to avoid whatever circumstance you wish, it's the way that you did it, with carelessness and dishonesty that made it wrong. There's a difference. It's rarely that we hurt each other with our end intention, but usually HOW we assert that intention that is destructive to relationships. I have so much admiration for you and your ability to see that and to own it, especially publicly.

It's all too easy for us to justify our mean and careless behavior with righteous indignation about preserving our rights, but the truth is we do owe each other honesty and kindness, compassion and warmth. Your realization is soooo rare. I have been on both ends of such exchanges, and I have to say that both are excruciatingly painful when you have these realizations, so I want to offer you solace for the pain you are experiencing of your own. Although the outcome was good (realization, growth, positive behaviors toward eating), it has to be PAINFUL to process that post and then to write it out and to post it. You deserve a second chance and I hope that you will consider (without regard for outcome) writing your friend a heartfelt letter taking ownership of what happened and putting your heart on the line. Risk everything. And whether she accepts it or not, you will find incredible healing and comfort for having done so. We do unspeakable things to each other to protect our vulnerabilities, but when we offer those vulnerabilities up as gifts to each other, the benefits can be just as profound as the damage done by protecting them.

If I were her, I would feel lucky to count you as a friend ... *HUG*

Thank you so much for this post. Taking responsibility for my actions used to be hard. I spent a lot of my life hiding from the consequences of my behavior, so afraid of others' anger and my own flaws and feelings. As I've gotten older, I've realized how crucial it is to be honest with myself and, more importantly, not flinching away from others' anger. And it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Making mistakes, hurting someone, failing someone in some way--it just needs to be owned. I feel that emotional growth is often rooted in our mistakes. At least for me it is. The relief of living more honestly and humbly is much greater than my fear of being wrong.

Your post is so beautifully expressed. Thanks again.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    MFP shared a quote on Pinterest this week - "If hunger isn't the issue, then food isn't the answer''. The little voice of wisdom in my head repeated it back to me yesterday. It's a good one! :smile:

Wow, that's perfect!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Thank you to all the people who responded. I'm blown away by all the kindness shown to me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!