You already have all the weight you need to squat

Options
I'm a huge proponent of bodyweight resistance exercises. e.g. Push Ups, Pull Ups, Bodyweight squats, etc...

I read a book a few years ago that I absolutely love by Mark Lauren called You Are Your Own Gym. It details how you can use minimal equipment to work your whole body, and to this day I still consult that book when I'm planning out my workouts.

Tonight I happened across a post on his website about squatting progression:
https://www.marklauren.com/blog/2014/06/squatting-progression/
Basically, how you can use absolutely no added weight and progress from one of the easiest leg exercises around (Sumo Squats) to one of the most difficult (Pistols with legs switch and jump). And let's just say that I'm closer to the hardest one than I am the easiest one, but I still have a long way to go!

Now, I am NOT in ANY WAY trying to diss using weights to work out. In fact I do still use weights for added resistance myself. But when it comes right down to it, you don't *really* need them to get a damn hard workout.

I'm curious how many others out there are also into bodyweight exercises and who has seen some good results from them.

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    yes!! I agree with this!

I lift light weights but when I want to do a session at home I always do squats w/o weights and it is just as good!
    Also reverse leg raises are good without weights!

That said I have recently discovered how good Kettle Bells are (Thanks Bluebird321) so I LOVE doing sumo squats and Kettle Bell swings :)
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I like to do both with heavyweights or just body. I find side lunges more effective without weights and single leg stepups too i can keep better form and do more reps. Pistol squats are very difficult i cant imagine doing them like your talking about. Ive seen some crazy types of pushups too that are all body weight.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, it's really not "just as good." You could do 100 bodyweight squats, and you're never going to get the same activation that you get from squatting some serious weight. I could do bodyweight squats all day now and not even get sore, but adding my bodyweight on a barbell and squatting it will allow me to really feel it after a 5 x 5.

There are some awesome bodyweight exercises, but squats just aren't on that list.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are great, but it's important to remember that you still need to figure out a way to progress an exercise to continue building strength.

For example, squats. You can start off with wall squats, progress to bodyweight and then start progressing to variations that make it harder/improve your strength. Like skater squats, bodyweight bulgarian squats, pistol squats, etc.

Or push ups - going from halfs to full push ups and then doing variations like wide push ups, close/diamond push ups, one-arms, spider crawls, supermans, divebombers, etc.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I spent a month or so trying to do You Are You Own Gym, and for the most part, I had a lot of success. The program works.

But some of the more gymnastic progressions were beyond me. Maybe if I had persevered, I'd be a fitter today. But my main goal was to improve my strength, and it was a lot easier for me to go back to a barbell than to try to perform a jumping pistol squat.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, it's really not "just as good." You could do 100 bodyweight squats, and you're never going to get the same activation that you get from squatting some serious weight. I could do bodyweight squats all day now and not even get sore, but adding my bodyweight on a barbell and squatting it will allow me to really feel it after a 5 x 5.

There are some awesome bodyweight exercises, but squats just aren't on that list.
    I agree on the squats i used to do 100 body weight squats and got a good cardio workout but it didnt change my a$%. Goblet squats with 35 lbs and below paralell started too and now barbell with as of yesterday 75 lbs,just started, im really feeling it.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! Thanks for reminding me that I can do one legged stuff when I can't get into the club.
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't need extra weights when doing squats to feel it working! I only do 20-30 each time I fill my drink bottle up at the fridge but can always feel a bit of a burn afterwards. My legs feel great.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that you actually read my post or the link before dismissing this. It appears that you also misquoted me with your "just as good" quote.

I do weighted squats. I understand the benefit of adding weight for resistance. My point is that you can still get a damn good workout (yes, even a damn good SQUAT workout) without adding weights. You might have to do your squats on one leg to get in a good workout, but it's absolutely do-able. I find that a set of pistols can "get the same activation" if not more activation than a set of heavy squats.

But thanks for trying to *kitten* on my point.

Rather than "Not sure" I think you should've just said "It's painfully obvious"
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yep! I usually just do body weight exercises / calisthenics because I can't afford a gym membership lol
  • be_AL
    be_AL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I teach conditioning and fighting classes and am always looking for exercises that don't require equipment. I like to keep it fresh so that I teach something for everyone. I with the article had pictures or links. There are many different names and explanations for different exercises and it'd be helpful to see exactly what this progression looks like.

Pistol squats = beast mode!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

how many pistol squats can you do?
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that you actually read my post or the link before dismissing this. It appears that you also misquoted me with your "just as good" quote.

I do weighted squats. I understand the benefit of adding weight for resistance. My point is that you can still get a damn good workout (yes, even a damn good SQUAT workout) without adding weights. You might have to do your squats on one leg to get in a good workout, but it's absolutely do-able. I find that a set of pistols can "get the same activation" if not more activation than a set of heavy squats.

Rather than "Not sure" I think you should've just said "It's painfully obvious"

Or, it might be that the comment was directed at this post that actually said "just as good" not the OP and not ****ting on the OP.
    yes!! I agree with this!

I lift light weights but when I want to do a session at home I always do squats w/o weights and it is just as good!
    Also reverse leg raises are good without weights!

That said I have recently discovered how good Kettle Bells are (Thanks Bluebird321) so I LOVE doing sumo squats and Kettle Bell swings :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    one day i'll hopefully get the flexibility needed to do pistol squats and other things that make standard bodyweight squats harder. until then i'll keep adding more weight to the barbell in order to progressively overload my muscles
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Pistols are a great way to develop balance, but are in no way a substitute for a barbell. Assuming you want maximum strength of course. If you have no desire to compete in strength sports or be freakishly strong... what's it matter.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I use weights, but I do bodyweight exercises as well and I agree, the push-up is just so under-rated.

As for squats, they are a great bodyweight exercise and like you said, have many forms and can progress depending on the type. Unilateral exercises are a good example. There's no way I can do a full pistol squat, but I do try! My balance is not so good, and they are really hard - certainly shows where my weak points are!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

I wasn't quoting you, I was quoting the person directly under you. The one who said "just as good." Bodyweight squats, particularly for women, tend to activate the quads more than the glutes.

And as I said, there are some excellent bodyweight exercises...it's unfortunate that you chose squats for illustrating your point when they are much more productive with weights. But you're welcome anyway.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I could do bodyweight squats all day now and not even get sore,

Try it. I challenge you
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

- bodyweight squats maybe, but there are progressions as the original poster pointed out - pistol squats for one; have you tried one?

(do you even Pistol Squat? :wink: )