DO OR DON'T FRIEND REQUEST?

Options
1235»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not some anti-social *kitten* (okay, maybe a tad), I just prefer to keep sacred words like "friend" to the literal sense and tend to try and remind others to do the same (in tactless ways). The word has got out of hand and almost seems meaningless and trivial now. Friends used to be people that you cried on, hung out with, broke the law with, called when you needed help moving, splashed water on at the river, cheated on your diet with...not some selfie-minded duckface you try and one up with profile poses. My worthless two cents.

Mind you, I'm not incapable of feeling teh internetz lovin'. I've got a buttload of that. :flowerforyou:

Take this up with MFP then and ask them to change it to acquaintances list or random strangers list or something.

In the meantime people on MFP will refer to it as a friends list because that's what the app calls it - not because they really think they are soul mates with everyone on their list.

Anyway, back to the question - I do not send friend requests.
    If anyone sends me one,I accept. If they decide I am not right for them after all and delete me, that's ok. One person did this after couple of days - she was a vegetarian and I am not, perhaps she realised I didnt really have much in common with her after all.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I usually accept, but I need more than a blank FR or "hi".

It's just good manners to introduce yourself and let someone know where you saw them or why you want to be friends. Even "hey, I was peering through your kitchen window and noticed you're low on dish soap."

Something that says you care.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I accept all the friend requests.

People probably remove me after a few days though, because I post a lot, and comment a lot, and don't just "like" everything. Also probably because there isn't a "sarcasm" font.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm not picky my friends list is every where from pervy to shy. They each add a bit of variety to inspire me.

Mmmmm wondering where I am in that? :love: :smokin: :bigsmile:
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Must. Ride. Bikes.

or...

drink iced coffee.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Options
    Must. Ride. Bikes.

or...

drink iced coffee.

You're slacking on giving me an iced coffee!! :bigsmile:
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    exps9452_SA1754024B03_22_1bC.jpg

one for you, one for me??? :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Options
    exps9452_SA1754024B03_22_1bC.jpg

one for you, one for me??? :flowerforyou:

I see good friendship quality in U. :flowerforyou:
  • mybeesknees
    mybeesknees Posts: 633
    Options
    I'm not picky my friends list is every where from pervy to shy. They each add a bit of variety to inspire me.

Pervs, unite! :bigsmile:
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Must. Ride. Bikes.

or...

drink iced coffee.

I have it here...in the fridge for you...chilling.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Options
    Must. Ride. Bikes.

or...

drink iced coffee.

I have it here...in the fridge for you...chilling.

[Tip toes over not to disturb him] Yummy .. thank U!! :drinker:
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Options

I doubt we can keep it secret .. we were made .. they know!!
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Generally, I accept anyone and everyone that requests, I comment, support and interact until someone gives me a good reason not to. I've only ever "unfriended" 2 people. I find that some of my best MFP friends aren't necessarily people that are my same age or in my same situation, and I think that's pretty cool.
  • mybeesknees
    mybeesknees Posts: 633
    Options

I doubt we can keep it secret .. we were made .. they know!!

I have no intentions on keeping my perviness to myself. :wink:
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm a crappy friend requester. I never know what to say and so what I do say sounds crazy so I'm often denied (doesn't really bother me). For those that request- I dont' like the ones that come blank. I'll deny those. If you leave a message I'll very likely add you. If you seem like someone I just can't gel with or who never interacts - I'll cut you off.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I pretty much accept all friend requests, unless their profile gives me the impression that we wouldn't be a good match in terms of weight loss philosophies. Which leaves me open to pretty much everyone except those trying to lose 2 lbs per week of vanity weight.

I've only sent one friend request, and the person accepted me then deactivated a day later. :cry: There are a lot of people I would like to request because I think they are funny or really knowledgeable, but I'm afraid my request would come across like this:

0.jpg

instead of this:

8465f3e0_7075684941F6.gif
    Hahaha! I know this feeling so well. :laugh: I've only sent a handful of requests myself... I've been really lucky that a few of my idols sent me one, because I'd never have had the nerve to send them one, and they are fantastic friends!

When I get a request, I try to figure out why - what we have in common, where we've interacted, and so on - and whether we're likely to get along as friends. If someone's looking for a lot of constant support or is upset by the diet coke and junk food in my diary, or our approaches or goals are really different, it's probably not worth the add for either one of us.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    i rarely send them, but always accept them :smile:
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Options
    i rarely send them, but always accept them :smile:

I'd be in trouble if I had bacon for a friend! lol
    My weight would likely return. :huh:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member