Finding Happiness as an Adult

Options

Replies

• lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I believe it's all in the person. I find happiness doing simple things. Always making people laugh around me at work even though I see a lot of death in my career. Working out is a great stress relief for me and helps me daily. As far as true happiness it's at the dinner table with my family. My daughter. Snowboarding, golfing, fishing, camping, anything up in the mountains. I am always smiling or looking at the better side of any situation. I blame that on hitting severe rock bottom when I was younger. I appreciate everything now. I really do believe happiness is as simple as focusing on the positives of every day.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    IMO...

I think you are ignoring a calling, and that is why you haven't found happiness with the success you have obtained.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    In addition to the obvious (coffee)

My husband (spending time with him working in the yard, on the house...going on little weekend trips together or getting together for happy hour after work....cuddling on the couch or in bed. Hugs...kisses.)

My two dogs. Dogs bring so much joy to me. They love you unconditionally-they're great company and protection as well.

Cooking and baking. Serving other people the yummy things I make and seeing someone enjoy a meal I prepared.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As I get older i find myself becoming more and more nostalgic, reminiscing about my childhood and my teens, early twenties, remembering all the fun memories and laughter I used to have.

Now in my thirties I enjoy time with family and have a few select good friends but I have definitely become someone who now enjoys time on my own away from people, just being me.

^that process of finding yourself - truly finding yourself resulted in you being happy?

And I can relate here - the older you get the less and less amount of people truly get to see who you are - not that, that is a bad thing - just an observation .

Yes that is so true. As I get older, I let less and less people 'in' to me - I have always been a very reserved private person, don't get me wrong I really enjoy the company of others, just very few, and it tends to be those who have been close to me for a long time. In my mind, lifes too short to be everyone's friend. I'd rather have a few really good friends than many casual friends.

In regard to finding happiness - some days I think I am happy, other times I am really not. Its a constant battle with me. But thats just life in my eyes...
  • sallyrose0503
    Options
    I think you can't have happiness without unhappiness, joy without sorrow, good without bad. Life is always changing and the older I get the more I learn to go with the flow and be unattached to my emotions, even happiness.

Have you looked into meditation or eastern philosohy? I am not saying its the "answer" by any means, but for someone as questioning as yourself (I am the same way) it can lead to some deep insight.

One of my favorite spiritual authors OSHO:

"The ego is a puzzle. It is something like darkness – which you can see, which you can feel, which can obstruct your way but which does not exist. It has no positivity. It is simply an absence, an absence of light. The ego does not exist – how can you surrender it? The ego is only an absence of awareness."

"You cannot surrender ego, because it does not exist. You can bring a little awareness, a little consciousness, a little light. Forget completely about the ego; concentrate totally on bringing alertness into your being. And the moment your consciousness has become a flame, concentrated, you will not be able to find the ego."

Fulfilling goals might not create the happiness you are searching for as it is a way to feed the ego more than anything else and that ego will never be truly satisfied.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is easier to be happy now than in the past. At 37 I'm the happiest I've ever been. I have worked hard to set up my life in a way that will make me happy, in fact that's my main goal in life. Only then can I bring happiness to my family and friends.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I believe it's all in the person. I find happiness doing simple things. Always making people laugh around me at work even though I see a lot of death in my career. Working out is a great stress relief for me and helps me daily. As far as true happiness it's at the dinner table with my family. My daughter. Snowboarding, golfing, fishing, camping, anything up in the mountains. I am always smiling or looking at the better side of any situation. I blame that on hitting severe rock bottom when I was younger. I appreciate everything now. I really do believe happiness is as simple as focusing on the positives of every day.

I likewise am Mr. Charmer, always making people laugh, and smile - and I likewise can relate to hitting sever rock bottom when I was younger - homeless suffering from an addiction I forced upon myself in attempting to ignore the void that is inside myself - I think that is a great takeaway on finding the happiness in focusing on the positives of everyday because likewise I am truly blessed partaking in the golfing, fishing, camping etc. as well

Your point though reminded me of a quote I read as a child by Alan Moore

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”
    ― Alan Moore
    edit: spelled truly incorrect
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Happiness is simply the state achieved when the perceived positives in one's life outweigh the perceived negatives.

I say perceived, because reality is irrelevant. One can be unhappy as a billionaire on a yacht in the med surrounded by beautiful people that love you, and one can be happy living alone in a hovel eating cabbage soup. Sure, working to improve your reality is always smart, but if you fail to improve your perception, it will be for naught. In the same way, improving your perception can make you happier without improving your reality one jot - and is much easier.

Unfortunately in my experience many actively seek out the negative for multiple reasons -

> to appear 'deep' or thoughtful (the faux philosopher)
    > to excuse perceived failures in their life (I coulda been a contender)
    > to elicit sympathy (inability to differentiate between positive and negative attention)

At the same time, they miss or dilute all the positives.

Watch a child playing for a couple of hours to learn a bit about pure unbridled happiness. They aren't bogged down by years of perceived negatives. They can truly live in the moment, and envelope themselves in the joy of what they are doing right then. They are unbound by thoughts of what they should do, and completely free to do what they want to do. Of course, the inverse is also true. In the presence of negative stimulus, a child will be pure misery, unable to draw on past positive experience to outweigh the negative. Unable to hypothesize a positive future that may unfold from this negative experience. A child can find rapturous joy in an empty cardboard box, and soul destroying despair in a dropped cookie.

As adults, we can choose how we perceive and react to stimulus. For negative events, focus on what is required to overcome them, and choose to not fall into despair (an evolutionary device to attract assistance, back when negative events were often lethal). We can remember that hard times have come in the past, and been overcome. If an unpleasant task is necessary to obtain future happiness, then take joy in that task as earning the future happiness.

When there is a positive event, no matter how small, celebrate it. Wrap yourself in it. Celebrate not just your own successes, but those of the people around you. Be truly proud of yourself, your achievements and the achievements of others.

Being happy isn't hard. You just need to give yourself permission.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    IMO...

I think you are ignoring a calling, and that is why you haven't found happiness with the success you have obtained.

a calling - as in there is a predetermined/predestined calling we were meant to partake in?

I wish destiny was real - but events seem to be random, despite the coincidences that come along occasionally bringing smiles and a sense of uniqueness in us all.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    King Solomon said that he had done a great many things in pursuit of happiness - got knowledge, huge masses of wealth, lots of women, horses, built gardens and buildings, had the best entertainers, alcohol - and all of it amounted to chasing wind. The conclusion he came up with was that men are happiest when they obey God, enjoy the work God has given him to do, and enjoy his food and drink.

I agree with those three things.

So, when I'm washing dishes, which was my least favorite task, I am thankful for dirty dishes, because it means we had something to eat. I can enjoy the least pleasant aspects of my job. I had a fulfilling career with respect and prestige and ended up homeschooling my kids because my kids needed it. And God gave me the work and grace to truly enjoy this season of life with them. It's very fulfilling work.

The other is to stop trying to get people to understand me. Everyone has a different way of viewing the world, different life experiences, etc. So they probably won't "get me" all the time. That's ok. God understands me, and is kind to me anyway.

And, along that vein, being understanding of moods. When you're in a bad mood, it's like rain - it will pass, and its ok to have them. Plants need sunshine and rain to grow. Winter helps the ground to rest in order to be productive in Spring. So smile and cry and slow down if you need to. Be relaxed about mood changes in yourself and others.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Happiness for me is not expecting too much from life while still hoping for a lot from life. Being grateful for what I've got but still having the will to dream big.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am very much a happy person by nature, though I've struggled through years of being bullied, a possibly-narcissistic mother, eating disorders, and a nasty divorce thanks to a cheating husband. I've finally healed from my wounds, and I am happier than I've ever been. I take joy out of so much in my life. Just the fact that I'm eating and comfortable in my body and getting stronger every day makes me smile. So does my daughter's smile or my husband's random text. Working in the garden and smelling the earth, sitting outside with a fire in our backyard, finishing a challenging workout, getting the numbers to match the first time around (at work - I do budget), catching the sunset, seeing the sunrise, a morning when I get to sleep in, knowing God's love in my life, a good thunderstorm, our new refrigerator, a clean house, a good book, a fresh sheet of paper and a nice pen ...

I am just happy. And there is happiness and joy in every piece of my life. I am so blessed.

Ultimately, what brings me most joy is my family. My husband and daughter's health and happiness is absolutely what matters most to me.

I'm content. I used to think content meant boring and not happy - not unhappy but not happy.

Now I know it means peace and fulfillment.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Happiness is simply the state achieved when the perceived positives in one's life outweigh the perceived negatives.

I say perceived, because reality is irrelevant. One can be unhappy as a billionaire on a yacht in the med surrounded by beautiful people that love you, and one can be happy living alone in a hovel eating cabbage soup. Sure, working to improve your reality is always smart, but if you fail to improve your perception, it will be for naught. In the same way, improving your perception can make you happier without improving your reality one jot - and is much easier.

Unfortunately in my experience many actively seek out the negative for multiple reasons -

> to elicit sympathy (inability to differentiate between positive and negative attention)

At the same time, they miss or dilute all the positives.

Watch a child playing for a couple of hours to learn a bit about pure unbridled happiness. They aren't bogged down by years of perceived negatives. They can truly live in the moment, and envelope themselves in the joy of what they are doing right then. They are unbound by thoughts of what they should do, and completely free to do what they want to do. Of course, the inverse is also true. In the presence of negative stimulus, a child will be pure misery, unable to draw on past positive experience to outweigh the negative. Unable to hypothesize a positive future that may unfold from this negative experience. A child can find rapturous joy in an empty cardboard box, and soul destroying despair in a dropped cookie.

As adults, we can choose how we perceive and react to stimulus. For negative events, focus on what is required to overcome them, and choose to not fall into despair (an evolutionary device to attract assistance, back when negative events were often lethal). We can remember that hard times have come in the past, and been overcome. If an unpleasant task is necessary to obtain future happiness, then take joy in that task as earning the future happiness.

When there is a positive event, no matter how small, celebrate it. Wrap yourself in it. Celebrate not just your own successes, but those of the people around you. Be truly proud of yourself, your achievements and the achievements of others.

Being happy isn't hard. You just need to give yourself permission.

incredibly insightful - love this. "Celebrate not just your own successes, but those of the people around you." - I need to work on this big time, and I will - this may be a key I am missing.

I should celebrate more - I am a very driven person and I often overlook that process and it can be very healthy.

-I am actively seeking out positives - I think your point on attempting to elicit sympathy is fascinating, and it makes sense to me.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'll be 48 this year, and the same things that made me happy when I was younger still make me happy now, like waking up to the sounds of the birds outside, finding a song on the radio that makes me want to dance in my car, and spending time with my family and friends. Over the last few years, I realized I don't need a man to make me happy, because my dogs and my kids keep my heart pretty full.

I spent a long time being angry at my ex, and realized it was taking too much energy, so I just let it go. I don't let the bad stuff weigh me down anymore, so even when things are turning to crap around me, I'm still looking at what's good in my life, and that's where I find my happiness. My parents are healthy, and my kids make me laugh on a daily basis. The birds are still chirping outside my window when I wake up, and there's always a good song playing somewhere.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    HappinessInsideJob.jpg
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'll be 48 this year, and the same things that made me happy when I was younger still make me happy now, like waking up to the sounds of the birds outside, finding a song on the radio that makes me want to dance in my car, and spending time with my family and friends. Over the last few years, I realized I don't need a man to make me happy, because my dogs and my kids keep my heart pretty full.

I spent a long time being angry at my ex, and realized it was taking too much energy, so I just let it go. I don't let the bad stuff weigh me down anymore, so even when things are turning to crap around me, I'm still looking at what's good in my life, and that's where I find my happiness. My parents are healthy, and my kids make me laugh on a daily basis. The birds are still chirping outside my window when I wake up, and there's always a good song playing somewhere.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Finding the joy in everyday life.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    King Solomon said that he had done a great many things in pursuit of happiness - got knowledge, huge masses of wealth, lots of women, horses, built gardens and buildings, had the best entertainers, alcohol - and all of it amounted to chasing wind. The conclusion he came up with was that men are happiest when they obey God, enjoy the work God has given him to do, and enjoy his food and drink.

I agree with those three things.

So, when I'm washing dishes, which was my least favorite task, I am thankful for dirty dishes, because it means we had something to eat. I can enjoy the least pleasant aspects of my job. I had a fulfilling career with respect and prestige and ended up homeschooling my kids because my kids needed it. And God gave me the work and grace to truly enjoy this season of life with them. It's very fulfilling work.

The other is to stop trying to get people to understand me. Everyone has a different way of viewing the world, different life experiences, etc. So they probably won't "get me" all the time. That's ok. God understands me, and is kind to me anyway.

And, along that vein, being understanding of moods. When you're in a bad mood, it's like rain - it will pass, and its ok to have them. Plants need sunshine and rain to grow. Winter helps the ground to rest in order to be productive in Spring. So smile and cry and slow down if you need to. Be relaxed about mood changes in yourself and others.

Omg. Ecclesiastes has to be one of the most brilliant books every every written hands down - easily would be found in my top 5 - Solomon is so relatable despite living so many years ago previous to us - it is frankly shocking.
    I recently came to the conclusion that material goods do not bring happiness - It aided me in getting my life in order - but yeah it is a mute issue - women, entertainers, alcohol - fun for a season - but it is just a season so it does indeed pass.

I don't know if there is a God or not - but if there is I certainly don't understand why the worlds most brilliant mind would have left his convictions with him - particularly after receiving his blessing from him. My only conclusion is he came to the state of realization that God, and I say this totally respectfully, not bitterly - but that a God that allows the pain in the world, and the state of uncertainly and suffering can't be a perfect God for making such an imperfect creation - one wouldn't call an artist perfect if their art was riddled with mistakes. Likewise - being omnipotent, why not create a world void of the pain, yet still enable mankind to live with free will - being all-powerful would certainly allow this possibility - and prior to the fall in the garden I'm sure this was the case, so earth would have only needed a minor tweak. I just don't understand this.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    As I've gotten older (43) I don't worry so much about what everyone else thinks and I just do what makes me happy and spend time with those that I am happy with. A lot of it is getting rid of what didn't make me happy.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    the child playing example reminded me of something my Sifu often tell us. Strive for zero, for nothingness.

As a baby we start at 0. We then learn a few things and try to up our value, become a 1 a 2 a5 and so forth. As some point we find the value is not an add on, but a realizing we alone are enough, a zero. And we start to drop value on things, events, people, and such in our lives.

It is when we are really just a 0 at best, pure, true, and enough, that we have achieved full circle and find enlightenment

I sorta like that.... it may take me a few trips around the horn, but I want to get there.

Right now, I like ot so stuff with people, and it makes me happy. At least I have started to learn a loose grip.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    ^plus by brilliant mind I am referring to King Solomon - he forsook the Jewish faith.