Getting past the embarrassment barrier of exercise?

Options
How do you or did you get over the first hurdle so to speak of taking up exercise, starting it again or starting a new exercise regime.

I have chickened out of going swimming so many times as Im absolutely petrified of being that naked in public, Ive never been a great swimmer however its less stress on my joints while I try to get down a few sizes before attempting running or jogging.

Also the thought of being in the gym really scares me in case I feel like im being judged.

How do you get past the embarrassed feeling or do you just have to get over it?

Replies

• The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    wow- that is bad feelings to have. First - love yourself because you are worth it. the gym thing- it's like life really, people are going to judge. You can't stop that but you shouldn't let SMALL minded people stop you from anything you want to do. Maybe start with walking in park or around track somewhere until you are ready for something else.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are being judged or that people are looking at you... just remind yourself that this is about YOU and your health and fitness and not about them. At the end of the day you are the judge of you and what anyone else thinks is of no consequence. Will these people be there when you're reaching your goals? probably not. Will these people be there for you if you fail? Certainly not. Who gives a crap what anyone else thinks.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Trust me everyone else is so worried about what everyone else thinks of them they are not worrying about you. Just do your thing and before you know it you'll be where you want to be in your fitness journey. Why do you think gyms have all those mirrors? So people can stare at themselves. Lol.
  • hanni23
    hanni23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tbh I feel exactly the same about the gym thing...so I did a bit of shopping around before I chose which gym to join. The one I go to has a complete mix of shapes and sizes and a friendly atmosphere. It's always a bit intimidating at the start but once you've been a couple of times and get used to how things work there you'll start to relax. I actually find it quite amusing now when the gym bunnys come in because a lot them don't really do much when they're there.

You could also look at different styles of classes, I've started going to beginners ballet which whilst it isn't much cardio there is a lot of flex and stretch so you really hurt the following day....and thankfully its a class where no lycra is required ;)
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Great bra - thank you to the MFP'er who introduced me to enell bras. Found a very small, quieter gym with a pool - much less people around, sometimes by 100%, and the realisation that I have to do this to move forward!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm just back at the gym after having my third baby -she's 8 weeks old. I feel massive and a bit embarrassed about gaining weight, especially as I was going to that gym until 38 weeks pregnant! I've been going there for years so they've seen me pregnant, after pregnancy, and losing loads of weight and starting all over again!

I did spinning the other day and felt huge compared to the other people there, and compared to how I used to look when I did spin before.

I keep going because I have my goal in mind and a wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit. Plus I like exercise.

I'm starting PT sessions next week and I'm worried how unfit I'll feel, but I know I'll get there again.

I'm fairly sure no-one is judging me, and if they are, so what? I'm doing what I want to do.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Other people think less about you than you think.

I say fake confidence until you feel it. Go there, act as if you belong and in no time, you will
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I haven't been a member of a gym in years, but I remember always feeling out of place when I was a member. I treat it the same way I treat everything that makes me uncomfortable. I walk in like I own the place. I normally walk in and step on the first machine that look simple and easy and has a good view of other equipment. Then I carefully (but very nonchalantly and cooly) watch other people on other machines until I'm certain that I know how to do it. Then I strut the that machine and do that for a while while watching other people again. After a bit I knew how everything worked lol.

Just own it. It works for everywhere.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    Just remind yourself that most of the people there, used to be where you are now... :)
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend that might be willing to do something with you? You could do it together. Believe me others go through this and for many it is their first time to a gym or class or pool etc etc.

Maybe search around for a "beginners' class of some sort. Then you will all be in the same boat and you will not be the only one nervous.

Also if you are nervous of being naked of people when going to the pool wear your suit to the pool under your clothes and after change in the bathroom if your pool does not have individual change rooms. My pool has an area where a curtain can be closed for privacy and many have that so maybe try another pool.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I completely understand this feeling because I used to be there. What I found was that everyone there is focused on doing their own thing and once you have been there a few times you get see the same people and most everyone is friendly. Keep in mind that everyone was a beginner once and felt the way you do now.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    On my first few trips to the gym and spin class i averted my eyes and made no eye contact at all with anyone in case i saw them watching me or pointing/giggling etc.
    After a week when i braved looking up and at people i realised that no-one and i mean no-one was looking at or watching me and i was sooooo relieved. Why would they anyway, they were all concentrating on their own thing.

Just get out there and get it done, you'll be great!
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    don't worry about other people...this is for you...its hard but you need to get over it and get your butt to the gym screw what people think or say...Just do it! :wink:
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Honestly, I think only shallow people that you wouldn't want in your life would judge you. I had the same fears when starting out, but then someone close to me asked, when I see someone who needs to lose weight at the gym, or out jogging, or in the pool, what do I think. My response was "fair play to them".

You'll get a lot more people admiring the fact that you're doing something about it. Keep going, don't get demotivated based on appearance. Just put your chin up and remind yourself why you're doing it.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    understandable but unless you make a display of yourself by trying to be incospicuous noone really gives a toss, they are doing there own thing, people may look and there's likely weird people in any gym, but just concentrate on wha you are doing and ignore them

as others said you have to start somewhere before you can overcome any hinderances, i was always really shy and hated approaching people and still do to some extent and felt like a right tosser when i was starting out at the gym looking so obese and jiggling about, but at some point you just have to do it or nothing will ever change.

A partner at the gym is a big bonus. and you will be suprised that if you keep persisiting, people will notice and possibly approach you with positives, i recieved that from people i was seeing most days at the gym and i never approached them, they made the first step
  • HollyKarlsen
    HollyKarlsen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just exercised at home mostly, doing walks in the woods or exercise dvd's in my living room. I have to admit when I started I was embarrassed even for my husband to see me in my workout clothes but I knew the only way I'd get to where I'd look better for him was to just do it anyway. Now that I've gotten to my goal weight, it doesn't bother me.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a mental thing about getting over your anxiety and worrying about what others will think of you. People experience it whatever shape/size they are.

I was so scared to start running in public at first when I was at 130 lbs. I was just so worried that people would stare at me or laugh at me or I would fall over or something like that.

I started to write out tables when I was really anxious to change the way I was thinking. So there were three columns. Your anxious thought about what will happen, what is realistically going to happen, positive solution.

So in column one I would write: "I will fall over and people will laugh", in column 2: "I don't usually fall over when I run", in column 3: "If I fall over, I will just get back up."

In time you can stop writing out tables, and just conquer whatever exaggerated anxious thought you have with a realistic thought.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started going.

I go to a local gym where there's lots of people of all sizes and ages. I take classes with a lot of women who are mothers like myself who have gained a bit of weight over the years, or trying to keep it off.

Trust me, no one cares. They're all there trying to do the same thing you are in one way or another. Even if they did care, no one has ever said anything. I'm there trying to do something about my weight. I've found most people to be more supportive than anything.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It helps if you go into a gym knowing what you're gonna do. You don't wanna run around a gym or stand around looking clueless. You plan out a routine ahead of time, don't try nothing complicated or flashy. Keep it simple, but effective until you learn more advanced exercises. You will only bring attention to yourself if you're doing something with some bad or wrong form. Which is why you work on these things in your free time and get a feel for the form the best you can. If someone isn't busy with their own sets, you can ask for a form check or a spot. Most people will gladly help you out.

Wish you the best of luck! Go get it!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking.

Just do it.