Try to avoid chicken thigh...

Options

Replies

• Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fresh boneless/skinless thighs I buy for cooking, I also keep these in my freezer for quick meals. 17g protein, 140 cals, and they're ready in the microwave in 3 minutes. Great on a sandwich or shredded on a salad.

0002370003526_500X500.jpg

GAH. I wish those were gluten-free. They look so good, but my Celiac disagrees. That said, I misread the package one time (the bag was wrinkled in the freezer case) and I thought it said "Sweet Asian Thighs." :noway:
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fresh boneless/skinless thighs I buy for cooking, I also keep these in my freezer for quick meals. 17g protein, 140 cals, and they're ready in the microwave in 3 minutes. Great on a sandwich or shredded on a salad.

I haven't seen this product, but Tyson makes another product which is pre-cooked breast meat, also in a green bag, excellent for quick stir fries. My grocery sometimes has buy one get one free specials on them. Unfortunately, my bodybuilder son eats them all before I can usually use them.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

GAH. I wish those were gluten-free. They look so good, but my Celiac disagrees. That said, I misread the package one time (the bag was wrinkled in the freezer case) and I thought it said "Sweet Asian Thighs." :noway:

I just spit out my water
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are delicious and nearly impossible to overcook and make dry. I guess you just have to pay a higher price for eating the best part of the chicken...

Hands down the best part of the chicken!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating 2 chicken thighs each night for 7 months. I'm not avoiding them cause they are cheaper, smaller than a breast (and I got a small freezer & cant eat a full one) they are great in a slow cooker, easy to cook & who cares how many calories.... I'd rather my calories go into something good for me than some kind of shake or juice
  • AdventureManatee
    AdventureManatee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lol :)

I go out of my way to make sure I eat chicken thighs. The extra fat helps me feel full and sated, so I'm less likely to over eat!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    That's right. Chicken thighs are better.

tumblr_mcb7u6qhpc1rst3kro1_500-gif.31559
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I stand firm, breasts are the best.

No pun intended.

I like all parts of the chicken. In fact my main thought when reading this threads is "why not eat the whole chicken?"

(that would take care of my protein goal for the day :p and a fair amount of the fat... probably would have to break it down into separate meals)

Definitely eat the whole chicken. We buy whole chickens, break them down into quarters, make stock from the bones, eat breasts one night, and eat legs the next. (Also, potatoes roasted in schmaltz are delicious.)
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just love chicken! Just buy a whole one! 'Cause how can you choose which bit is best! Sunday roast with all the trimmings! Yum!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I totally took this pic at the store today not knowing the serendipitous reason until now! I give you, chicken in a can. You may puke now.

d32fbe6e-0fd5-474b-a388-a9b209345104_zpsf0c122e8.jpg
  • getinmykitchen
    getinmykitchen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually buy thighs because in my market they are always so much cheaper than the more popular breast meat. I don't think it's too hard to balance out if you serve it with veggie sides.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    where on earth do you guys buy thighs cheaper than breast? At my local sam's club, breasts are $1.88/b and thighs $2.99!! I would buy thighs in a heartbeat if they were less (as I will be this week because another store has them on sale for $1.79/lb)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I totally took this pic at the store today not knowing the serendipitous reason until now! I give you, chicken in a can. You may puke now.

d32fbe6e-0fd5-474b-a388-a9b209345104_zpsf0c122e8.jpg

20090430-cannedchicken-shloop.jpg
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    where on earth do you guys buy thighs cheaper than breast? At my local sam's club, breasts are $1.88/b and thighs $2.99!! I would buy thighs in a heartbeat if they were less (as I will be this week because another store has them on sale for $1.79/lb)

We have the $1.88 breasts too, I buy those and poach them for putting on lunch salads. But the thighs we get are nowhere near that expensive. I'm pretty sure they are around $1.79/lb for the bone in, skin on ones. I know the boneless ones are not that expensive either but can't recall the price.

I got some boneless/skinless ones yesterday at Food Lion that were on the "buy it today or we throw it away" clearance price. 3.92lbs for $4.78, not much more than a dollar a lb. I buy a lot of meat that way and either eat it that day or freeze it. I got pork chops and some ground turkey as well. The regular price on the thighs was $2.49/lb which isn't that bad.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    According to the Perdue website, skinless boneless breast meat has 29 calories per ounce and skinless boneless thighs have 35 calories per ounce. Not a very large difference at all. When we grill chicken we frequently use thighs since they don't dry out like white meat tends to do.

This. They are not THAT much worse.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

We have the $1.88 breasts too, I buy those and poach them for putting on lunch salads. But the thighs we get are nowhere near that expensive. I'm pretty sure they are around $1.79/lb for the bone in, skin on ones. I know the boneless ones are not that expensive either but can't recall the price.

I got some boneless/skinless ones yesterday at Food Lion that were on the "buy it today or we throw it away" clearance price. 3.92lbs for $4.78, not much more than a dollar a lb. I buy a lot of meat that way and either eat it that day or freeze it. I got pork chops and some ground turkey as well. The regular price on the thighs was $2.49/lb which isn't that bad.

Around here, you can find boneless skinless thighs on sale for $.99/lb easily. The most they ever cost is $1.99, so even if you're too lazy to hunt around, you're still getting them pretty cheap.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    thigh meat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/735/2
    100g = 119 calories

breast meat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/701/2
    100g = 110 calories

So, tell me again what this mystical issue is of which you speak?

Just an FYI on the true difference between dark and white meat:

White meat is white because of the chicken's chronic lack of exercise, something to think about next time you're about to curl up in front of the TV for another I Dream of Jeannie rerun. Dark meat, which avian myologists (bird muscle scientists) refer to as "red muscle," is used for sustained activity--chiefly walking, in the case of a chicken. The dark color comes from a chemical compound in the muscle called myoglobin, which plays a key role in oxygen transport. White muscle, in contrast, is suitable only for short, ineffectual bursts of activity such as, for chickens, flying. That's why the chicken's leg meat and thigh meat are dark and its breast meat (which makes up the primary flight muscles) is white. Other birds more capable in the flight department, such as ducks and geese, have red muscle (and dark meat) throughout.

From: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1295/why-is-white-meat-white-and-dark-meat-dark

Never seen these numbers before. Quite sure it's closer to 200 calories for thighs. And yes they taste way better... but personally they don't fill me up more at all.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You know what? chicken butt..

Wanna know why? chicken thigh..

I'm sorry..... I couldn't resist...

Did you know that 1 tiny little chicken butt contains right around 100 calories?

I really shouldn't know this.

How tiny is the hiney?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    bump for the tiny hiney
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong in thinking that you seem a little angry? :indifferent:

:laugh: