Help with Binge eating!

Options
2»

Replies

• katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a book called how to stick with a diet and found it inciteful... the book was about making your goals all about clean eating and more healthful lifestyle... not going on a diet but "making diet changes" when it is only about wt loss. When you reach your goal wt ur lost.... he also gets into the psychology behind bad eating behaviors.... and tricks to win over those bingeful moments... I read some where that we all have a time of day we are the most vulnerable ... my is when I get home from work... I have a chocolate protein shake waiting for me... the first thing I do is go to the fridge and down it.....

But I highly recc the book it by a dereck speller or something like that... I'm on his newsletter too
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It could if the cause is not getting the proper micronutrients/Macronutrients.

What macros do you get from a multivitamin?
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just stop, dude. It's that simple. Don't ruin your hard work. Sure, you've had a set back. You need to take control. Have you already eaten dinner? Stop eating for the day. Just stop. Eat very carefully the next couple of days. Don't eat anything not planned. That's what I'm doing. I did the same thing as you, basically--just overeating a little here and there until you are just eating because.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    bumpy bump. I binge eat sometimes too. You have to find a way to handle your stress, and avoid your trigger foods.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've had one set of eating habits for decades...breaking those patterns of eating isn't easy. I've spent several decades perfecting them!

So, you've had a month of binge eating...but before that you had a period when you lost weight.

What changed? What was working before?

I don't think you fail when you fall, you fall when you stay down. By coming here, you're standing up...be kind to yourself, have some faith in you, and keep trying...you can do this. .
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    blank
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It could if the cause is not getting the proper micronutrients/Macronutrients.

What macros do you get from a multivitamin?

Sorry! Micro from multi
    Macro from food.
  • wdarling712
    Options
    This is strictly my opinion - I'm not a therapist or psychologist and do not even play one on TV. :)

As someone who's struggled with binge eating, I think it's very, very hard to give it up. For me, bingeing is a coping mechanism, and it makes me feel good temporarily. When I gain control of my eating, sometimes I actually feel sad that I won't have my binge sessions anymore, even though I know they're self-destructive. A couple times over the winter, after I'd started counting calories and trying to gain control over my eating again, I reverted to bingeing, and it was almost like I was defying and punishing myself. And they were really bad binges - to the point I thought I was going to do damage to my innards.

I think it's a little bit similar to a toddler giving up the pacifier and/or blankie. Bingeing is comforting. It releases endorphins; feeling full feels good, and I think sometimes our subconscious freaks out that we're taking that away from ourselves.

Acknowledging it is a good thing. Shine a light on it. Record every single last bite and calorie (I started doing this but I definitely leave my diary private - you don't need to invite anyone's opinion - it's just for you to see). When you see it in black and white, some of the power it has over you will fade. And it becomes a more tangible problem that you can solve with your conscious self, and after you see the patterns, the secrecy and shame that come along with bingeing will start to fade. This has been helping me, anyway - in the past I've never recorded my binges - just tried to shove them under the rug and start over.

I don't know if any of this rambling will be helpful to you, but I totally feel your pain. Best of luck to you. :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you want to get scared straight, watch some episodes of a show called My 600 lb. life, and see where you're headed. If you have Netfix the first espisode is there. There are 2 seasons with 8 different stories. It was showing on the learning channel and you can purchase to upload to your computer.

If that doesn't stop your binging, I honestly don't know what will?
  • bkk40in2011
    Options
    This is strictly my opinion - I'm not a therapist or psychologist and do not even play one on TV. :)

As someone who's struggled with binge eating, I think it's very, very hard to give it up. For me, bingeing is a coping mechanism, and it makes me feel good temporarily. When I gain control of my eating, sometimes I actually feel sad that I won't have my binge sessions anymore, even though I know they're self-destructive. A couple times over the winter, after I'd started counting calories and trying to gain control over my eating again, I reverted to bingeing, and it was almost like I was defying and punishing myself. And they were really bad binges - to the point I thought I was going to do damage to my innards.

I think it's a little bit similar to a toddler giving up the pacifier and/or blankie. Bingeing is comforting. It releases endorphins; feeling full feels good, and I think sometimes our subconscious freaks out that we're taking that away from ourselves.

Acknowledging it is a good thing. Shine a light on it. Record every single last bite and calorie (I started doing this but I definitely leave my diary private - you don't need to invite anyone's opinion - it's just for you to see). When you see it in black and white, some of the power it has over you will fade. And it becomes a more tangible problem that you can solve with your conscious self, and after you see the patterns, the secrecy and shame that come along with bingeing will start to fade. This has been helping me, anyway - in the past I've never recorded my binges - just tried to shove them under the rug and start over.

I don't know if any of this rambling will be helpful to you, but I totally feel your pain. Best of luck to you. :)

Love this. And thanks for the permission not to open the diary. I think my binge periods which I am not in control of make me not want to open mine either. I wonder sometimes if those of us who suffer from this should "diet" by counting successful days without a binge. Honestly my eating on normal days is fantastic but I "maintain" because of binges. OP I hope you see you are worthy of a good life without this plaguing you. Somehow that switch has to turn that says you are hurting yourself not helping yourself. I don't have the answer but do believe the more simple sugar carbs we eat the worse it is. I wish you the best of luck!
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Look into 12-step programs, like Food Addicts Anonymous or Overeaters Anonymous
  • susiegaitan
    susiegaitan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everybody looks through the fridge too much. It's hard to stop. So start here:
    Drink a huge glass of milk so you are full and not tempted to do something bad.
    Grab the trash bin. Throw out everything that is expired or has more than 25% fat.
    Now wipe that fridge down to a bright and clean finish.
    Ahhh. Serenity feeling, if you used Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day.
    Head to grocery store and only use food from the outer circle. (Staples and processed foods in middle aisles are not what you need!) The only caveat being popcorn or gum, because they can be quite filling.

just exchange your bad food for good food. I like to think bite sized party appetizers and your meals should be broth, plain baked potato, fish, or something very high in fiber and low in glycemic index.

Yeah, you can go get therapy, or you can re-think your fridge. And if you are still groping for sweets and bad foods, imagine a roach or spider or animal pooh on it. Even if a roach walked over my cheezzzz burger, I would not eat it. If you find out what's really in your food, you would probably stop a lot of binging. My love for shredded cheese is over. it was an undying love, but now that I know, no more shredded cheese.
  • Peaches160
    Peaches160 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump!!!