How often should you weigh yourself?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself on your weight loss journey?

I have been eating better and exercising for around a week now. I am 149 lbs., 5'6'' tall, and want to lose around 10-15 pounds. I honestly don't know how fast the weight will come off, so I don't want to weigh myself too often because I know that if the numbers aren't low enough, I will get discouraged and go back to the way I was before this past week. I am consuming around 1,200 calories a day and walking 4 miles in an hour (around 300-350 calories burned) each day. So how often do you think I should weigh myself? How often do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself on your weight loss journey?

I have been eating better and exercising for around a week now. I am 149 lbs., 5'6'' tall, and want to lose around 10-15 pounds. I honestly don't know how fast the weight will come off, so I don't want to weigh myself too often because I know that if the numbers aren't low enough, I will get discouraged and go back to the way I was before this past week. I am consuming around 1,200 calories a day and walking 4 miles in an hour (around 300-350 calories burned) each day. So how often do you think I should weigh myself? How often do you weigh yourself?
    Some do it every day.
    Some once a week.
    Some once every 2 weeks.

Whenever you want really.

One thing you DO want to follow though is to always do so in the same fashion. Same clothes, or buck naked, same time of day, etc.

I go one step further and make sure I dont have any food or drink for 12 hours and eat light the day before.
    Just do it the same each time to get the most accurate you can.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate-I dropped 16 pounds and gained 4 but had not changed my eating. I was weighting myself every couple days. Then I read you will retain water-so I am attempting to not weigh myself but once a month-tho I cheat and got on the other day-dropped 3 of the four pounds. I also look and see I am loosing my spare tire and my cloths are beginning to get loose. so I go by that to. So what ever you are comfortable with-

Also the last 10-15 pounds I am told are the hardest to loose. I on the other hand have 56 pounds to go. so I am just hoping to reach my first goal of getting under 200 pounds. Good luck
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh daily, but I will admit those fluctuations can drive a person crazy. I read somewhere about keeping a weight trend spreadsheet, and ever since I started doing that, I've been able to see more of the big picture and I don't get discouraged as easily if the scale shows a higher number for one or two days. As long as the trend is still going downward overall, that's what's most important.

I also take measurements once per month. It's just another way to measure progress. And definitely pay attention to how your clothes are fitting too. I've lost 11 pounds in 13 weeks (May was terrible. It has waaaay too many holidays) but I can already see a difference in how my pants fit.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I thought about weighing everyday and taking an average at the end of the week, but I honestly don't know. I'm one to get really frustrated if I don't see a change on the scale. So this Tuesday will make two weeks since I started exercising and eating better. I sure hope I've dropped around 3 pounds. If not, I know I will be really angry with myself. My problem is that, if I haven't lost any or very, very little, I will probably end up saying "Screw it" and go back to eating the way I was before.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before I go to bed and when I wake up. I just like to see how my numbers fluctuate through out the week.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing. I like to weigh daily so I have more data points, what can I say I'm a number nerd.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have my "official" weigh-in once a week, first thing after waking and going to the bathroom - with no clothes, btw, as different clothes can have different weights, and that can confuse the weight issue.

but to answer your question, i weigh myself almost every time i walk by the scale for entertainment value. my scale is pretty sensitive, and it shows the gain after drinking water or having something to eat, and i've discovered my workout shorts weigh a pound and my light-weight tshirt weighs .2 of a pound. for some reason seeing this stuff amuses me ;-)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Since I started 45 days ago, I've only weighed myself 3 times. The first time, I had lost 2 pounds. The second time, I had gained 2 pounds back. The third time, I was at -5 pounds. It fluctuates way too much, I'd rather weight myself every two weeks or better yet, each month.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily after using the restroom in the morning, and i know from experience that I can get a couple of pounds variability on a daily basis. But if I see 3 consecutive days of increase I consider it 'real' and take corrective action.

A week is too long between weighings for me. I tend to cheat too much if I don't check daily.

I think the answer depends on your own psychology. What level of self-scrutiny keeps you motivated vs. what stresses you out?
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Since I just started, I had been weighing myself daily so I could get an idea on how much my weigh fluctuated. But I am going to try now doing it once a week, so I can get a clearer idea on how much I'm actually losing rather then just seeing it fluctuate so much.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weigh morning and night. Much easier to see trends this way versus 1x a week. It use the Aria fitbit scale so it sends it to the website and graphs it without need to use a spreadsheet.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself often enough to know you are on track, but not often enough to become obsessed or worried about fluctuations. I recommend once every one to two weeks.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As often as you like. :)

The first forty pounds or so, I never weighed myself. I had no idea what I weighed, so I popped into the doctor's office and asked to use their scale. I was so happy that I bought one. :)

For a while, I'd be on it all the time, seeing what I weighed before and after I ate or pooped.

Some days I weigh once, some days more.

It's a little disheartening when you get on and you gained three pounds from the day before. All the fluctuations! I'm glad I didn't use it when I started losing. I'd have been dejected, I think. :)

Do what works for you! But don't flip out when there are fluctuations, especially around period time. :)
  • katieai
    katieai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Today is day 11 for me. I've been eating around 1200 calories and doing cardio workouts 4-5 times per week and have lost 7 pounds thus far. I weigh myself every morning in just my underwear. Weighing daily keeps me accountable for the food I eat the day before and I'm able to see how certain foods and/or eating patterns affect my weight, in (relative) real time. I know a lot of people who only weigh weekly or monthly. Personally I'm far too impatient for that. :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I weight myself whenever I'm near a scale (which is why I don't keep one at home :).
    I use Trendweight.com synced through my fitbit account (lets me do manual logs) so I can see the trend downward even when different scales give me different readings at different times of day.

I used to be so sad/annoyed when I'd weigh myself in the morning & be down, then the next day at the Doctors be up 3-5lb because it was midday with clothes on. Seeing how the weight can vary from day to day, but knowing I'm heading in the right direction, really helps.

etf typo
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily in the morning unless I forget that way I can see my day to day fluctuations and have more data points for tracking with excel.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    daily as soon as i wake up and gone to the bathroom.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I pee and before I eat completely naked. But I only record my weight on MFP on Fridays before the weekend has a chance to get the best of me.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    At your weight don't expect to lose it fast. Remember a pound equals 3500 calories, so cutting that much out of your intake during a week is going to be difficult. Burning it off thru exercise would probably work faster, since we have to consume 1200 calories a day anyway.

As far as the scale once a week is fine. Albeit I am the same height as you and weigh in at 146, going to 140, and I weigh myself every other day, first thing in the morning. Anyway it's up to you.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Everyday at least once. I weigh myself in the mornings in my pjs, it is too cold in there for naked. I watch the number but I don't live and die by the number. I might weigh a pound more than yesterday but if the mirror is friendly and my jeans aren't tight I am probably just going to chalk it up to too much dinner.