Runners! Do you acknowledge other runners while out forn

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I just raise a hand to acknowledge they are there and good for them, but keep my eyes on the path and concentrate on my breathing as I go by.
  • kkows
    kkows Posts: 19
    Options
    I give them a big Ed McMahon "HEY-O!" and a pat on the butt.

No, I'm too shy. And no one, but no one, runs slower than I do. Other runners would probably think I'm walking.

I'm a slow runner too but in my experience even the fastest runners I've encountered have offered me at least a smile. Don't let your shyness stop you from treating fellow runners!
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I generally follow this type of routine with regards to greeting other runners while out for a jog. 1) make note of approaching runner coming into view. 2) as approaching runner gets closer, gradually increase pace. 3) when approaching runner gets within 100 yards, increase pace again and focus on improved form and rhythmic breathing...shoulders back, back straight, chest out , head up, strong and graceful strides. 4) When approaching runner gets within 30 yards, create a big smile on my face to make it appear that I am truly enjoying this run. 5) Nod and say a cheery "Good Morning" as I pass the approaching runner. 6) Count to 5, and then revert back to my slow, plodding pace, slouched form, and my normal breathing/gasping for breath in a manner that sounds like a female moose giving birth to triplets..
    (The one instance where I was forced to not acknowledge my fellow runners was in Austin, Texas. There were so many people running on the trails there that I was nodding so much, people were starting to think I had a nervous tick. I was making myself dizzy :( )
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I generally follow this type of routine with regards to greeting other runners while out for a jog. 1) make note of approaching runner coming into view. 2) as approaching runner gets closer, gradually increase pace. 3) when approaching runner gets within 100 yards, increase pace again and focus on improved form and rhythmic breathing...shoulders back, back straight, chest out , head up, strong and graceful strides. 4) When approaching runner gets within 30 yards, create a big smile on my face to make it appear that I am truly enjoying this run. 5) Nod and say a cheery "Good Morning" as I pass the approaching runner. 6) Count to 5, and then revert back to my slow, plodding pace, slouched form, and my normal breathing/gasping for breath in a manner that sounds like a female moose giving birth to triplets..
    (The one instance where I was forced to not acknowledge my fellow runners was in Austin, Texas. There were so many people running on the trails there that I was nodding so much, people were starting to think I had a nervous tick. I was making myself dizzy :( )

That part goes without saying.
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am not a social butterfly... on the scale of insect representations I'm some as yet undiscovered form of burrowing snail. BUT... I make an effort for my fellow ambitious and suffering human.
    When I run, I always have one of my dogs with me and am usually splitting my attention between them and whatever may be in front of me. Because of this my head is already pretty much always tilted down which prevents accidental eye contact. I'm also one of those people who elicits concerned comments such as "hey.. are you alright?" because of my dripping reddish purple face.
    My compromise is a head nod. Up or down depends on how nervous I'm feeling at the given moment. If I'm having a randomly confident moment you get the up nod. If I'm self-conscious and nervous per usual, you get the down nod.

Now if you say something nice about the dog, you get a huge beaming smile and I have probably terrified you and increased the pace for you run, lol.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Depends on the run and how I am feeling. Generally, yes I will acknowledge them back and wave or something. But, if it is a crappy run and I am doing everything in my power to just push through it, then no. Mainly because their smiles make me want to punch them in the face...compared to how I am probably feeling at the time. And even though I know they are well intentioned, I take their smiles as mockery of my pitiful moment in life.

ETA: Unless it is a wheelchair runner or an amputee runner...I will go out of my way to hi-five them no matter who crappy my run feels because they always give me a boost in motivation when I see them.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I give them a big Ed McMahon "HEY-O!" and a pat on the butt.

No, I'm too shy. And no one, but no one, runs slower than I do. Other runners would probably think I'm walking.

Looool, then we should '''''walk''''' together because I am the same!

I do not acknowledge others when out running, but I will smile or say hello if someone does
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I do the head nod, but only because a wave seems unbearable during my run.

HAHA totally this. Sometimes I'll manage to get a very heavily breathed "hi" out but that's rare. But usually just a nod and a smile.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Usually a head nod or what up if I know them. Sometimes a quick wave.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I always nod, wave, thumbs up, something. . .if there's one or two.

If its a busy day, there's really no point.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

You sound like my 14 year old daughter when we run past a certain high school senior's house - they run together on XC and her form improves she runs faster and calls out to me that I'm slow.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I will always at least wave but most the time I will say hey or if they look like they are having a tough run I will try and say something motivating.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I go between waving, giving thumbs up, smiling...I am a friendly runner :-) Even when I'm dying I am smiling and waving.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Usually and smile and a nod, sometimes a good morning. When I run near the beach house on vacation everyone says HI but I assume that is because everyone is REALLY freaken happy to be on vacation.

I did have a guy salute me once...I saluted back...so odd
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I try to at least give a wave or a salute, but if I'm huffing and puffing on a challenging interval sometimes it gets impossible. But yeah, it's pretty frequent that I give a hello of some kind.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I could only pull this off if I'm running in crappy weather....otherwise, I would never be able to slow down to my plod because there's so many people on the lake path here!
  • demonsheep
    demonsheep Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually do a small wave and smile, and I usually get some sort of nod/wave directed at me as well. I remember once these group of guys (who weren't running, just walking) decided to cheer me on screaming "YOU CAN DO IT. KEEP IT UP!"
  • joshsheedy
    joshsheedy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends, at times I just nod, or smile, or a slight wave. Other times when someone looks like they are hurting I give the thumbs up, not sure it helps them, but it has helped me in the past when others have gifted me a thumbs up when I was struggling.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are all so sociable!! I don't get any of this friendliness where I live, didn't even know that waving at other runners is a "''thing''. Here, everyone does their own thing and that's it. Me included. Hmmm..... Maybe I am just not noticing it.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always give a nod or wave as long as I have the strength to do so. Saturday I had the coolest thing happen on my long run. I was running along a long uphill road when a running was coming the opposite direction along the same sidewalk I was on. I gave him my customary nod/wave. He saw me, gave me a nod then put his had up for a high five as we passed each other. That high five made my day and put spring in my step for the next 15 miles of running.

I'm a turtle and a distance runner often finishing with the back of the pack. Little moments like this are what inspired me to start running which in turn started the process of getting my life back. Seeing all the happy runners on the street in the summer made me want to be part of that and that high five was a nice little reminder that I am.