Is Diet Pepsi Really Bad For Me?

Options

Replies

• MyFoodDiaryBegunMay01
    Options
    Messes with my tooth enamel and seems to make me hungrier...dont really know why.
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options

That's fine. No one wants to make you drink diet soda and if you choose not to drink it because you don't like it or it makes you feel weird that's fantastic reasoning. As long as you aren't trying to make your experience apply to everyone or come up with crazy claims from random blogs no one will say boo.

It's when people say things like "It's bad for everyone" or 'It makes you retain fat!" that people start arguing.
    That's what I don't understand about people who throw news articles, studies, etc at others. Although they may be helpful, it doesn't apply to everyone, and I think people should use more of their personal experiences as a basis for reasoning - or at least a balance between the two. :U
  • wu3ju3j
    wu3ju3j Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok, to be more specific, stories about studies. True - not true? We'll never know, just like we don't know if anything in the news is true, but that will never change. So, I did my own study and by cutting out sodas and other crap, lost 52 lbs, no longer get heartburn, and can walk long distances without my feet swelling. That's good enough for me :)

I agree with this. I cut out all soda nearly 3 months ago and have lost weight and have had tons more energy with no daily fatigue that I used to have on soda. Also, I have not had heartburn (I had been prescribed Prilosec daily for GERD) and have been able to eat hot peppers galore without suffering later as I had with the GERD.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    On a side not, can. I say I hate when people say diet soda (or anything else) causes diabetes? That is a completely uneducated and insulting statement.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

That's fine. No one wants to make you drink diet soda and if you choose not to drink it because you don't like it or it makes you feel weird that's fantastic reasoning. As long as you aren't trying to make your experience apply to everyone or come up with crazy claims from random blogs no one will say boo.

It's when people say things like "It's bad for everyone" or 'It makes you retain fat!" that people start arguing.
    That's what I don't understand about people who throw news articles, studies, etc at others. Although they may be helpful, it doesn't apply to everyone, and I think people should use more of their personal experiences as a basis for reasoning - or at least a balance between the two. :U

You don't undersand why, when someone asks 'is diet soda bad for me', people use studies to answer the question and tend to frown on people using personal anecdotes to answer the question?

Simply put it's because your experience isn't the experience of others but studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large. Coming forth and saying "I feel better without diet soda" is about as worth while as someone with a peanut allergy saying 'I feel better without peanuts!' That's nice and all but what does it mean for people without that allergy?

No a damn thing.

OP didn't ask if you feel better without diet soda, they asked if diet soda is bad for them. Your personal experience has no bearing on that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Only thing bad about it is it's not as good as it's younger cousin Pepsi Max or, my favorite, Coke Zero. IIFYM ftw.

Coke Zero with Splenda was SO AWESOME.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Drinks diet soda every day!! Not growing any horns, see photo.

<
    :bigsmile:

You've cropped the top of your head.

Obviously this proves that diet soda is the devil.
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options

You don't undersand why, when someone asks 'is diet soda bad for me', people use studies to answer the question and tend to frown on people using personal anecdotes to answer the question?

Simply put it's because your experience isn't the experience of others but studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large. Coming forth and saying "I feel better without diet soda" is about as worth while as someone with a peanut allergy saying 'I feel better without peanuts!' That's nice and all but what does it mean for people without that allergy?

No a damn thing.

OP didn't ask if you feel better without diet soda, they asked if diet soda is bad for them. Your personal experience has no bearing on that.
    So for the OP's question, the general answer /should/ have been, "Find out for yourself." ? Since neither group study nor personal experience would help them.
  • christalweers
    Options
    I am not saying if it is bad/good for you. I am just saying I quit drinking it and drink water. I have lost 25 lbs and I feel much better than before. :)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily. Meh. Diet cherry dr. Pepper for life!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I stepped on some nerves! Well it's usually the people that step on nerves that are proven right in the long run. I honestly wish the best health to all of you, and I'm glad for those of you that have managed to achieve a level of success despite the diet soda. I just see it as dangerous to offer advice to someone based solely on your "good results", rather than on knowledge based on research.

I'd like to see the research please.
  • Achrya
    Options

No a damn thing.

So for the OP's question, the general answer /should/ have been, "Find out for yourself." ? Since neither group study nor personal experience would help them.

No the answer is "these studies show that diet soda has no ill effects on people barring allergies and will not impact your health." They already know how diet soda effects them personally, so telling them to find out for themself is silly. They're asking specifically about the healthfulness of it, which is something that can be answered.
  • mandyjo0000
    mandyjo0000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    <---- lives on coke zero.

Is still alive.

AMEN! I :heart: diet pepsi
  • likitisplit
    Options

No a damn thing.

"studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large."

The answer /should/ have been "here's a study, this is how it applies to you."
  • Achrya
    Options

No a damn thing.

"studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large."

Indeed. If OP has asked "I'm thinking about giving up Diet Soda because I've heard doing so makes people fly; have you given it up and sprouted wings?" then personal experience would be warranted and indeed would have been asked for.

But when asking if something is harmful/bad then actual studies are what, in my opinion, rules.
  • likitisplit
    Options

No a damn thing.

Indeed. If OP has asked "I'm thinking about giving up Diet Soda because I've heard doing so makes people fly; have you given it up and sprouted wings?" then personal experience would be warranted and indeed would have been asked for.

But when asking if something is harmful/bad then actual studies are what, in my opinion, rules.

Sorry about cutting across your conversation. My bad.

I would beg to differ. Even in the cases where somebody is asking "I'm thinking about using GC to lose weight but I've heard that it gives people nasty asparagus farts, what is your experience?" a perfectly valid response is "here is a study showing that it has no weight loss effect if you are not a rat."
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily. Meh. Diet cherry dr. Pepper for life!

AMEN!!!!

/thread
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've never worried about artificial sweeteners, and my family has always been diet soda drinkers. My oldest (34) used to drink those ridiculously large BigGulps several times a day. He still drinks diet soda, just not as much.

I understand the concern about our bodies still craving sugar/sweet because the diet soda, but it hasn't been a problem for us.

However, the big thing with me is that I was replacing plain old water with diet soda. I'd learned to crave the carbonation and the caffeine at the expense of just drinking water to satiate my thirst. So, I finally decided to save diet sodas for treats and to begin drinking plenty of cold water. I keep a nice refillable water bottle in my fridge (I find I like super cold but not icy water) and sip on it all day long. I have noticed my skin feels better and my hair is much shiner and I don't burp nearly as much as I used to when drinking soda all day long.

I rely only on evidence based science. I know there are many, many 'studies' and theories on artificial sweeteners, but most are anecdotal or are pushed by the 'hoo-hoo' conspiracy type websites.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You hear it all the time that drinking soda is bad for you and I am curious why. Now, I know it doesn't matter calorie wise, because diet pepsi has zero calories in it. But is it actually bad for my health to drink diet pepsi. If so, why? Because I don't understand how it could be. I do get that it is probably not that great for my teeth because it is acidic. But other than that, it doesn't really seem to have anything else in it that could be too bad for my health. According to the can there are 35mg of sodium in a 12oz can. Is that a lot? Is sodium the reason it is bad for my health?

There isn't a great deal of hard science behind this because - not too sound like a nut - the industry lobbies hard to stop it. But its not the artificial sweeteners. Its the other chemicals that have been shown to reduce sperm count and have other related effects on health. I don't drink soda period - going on 2 years. I used to go though 12 cans of coke/diet coke in a few days. Now I just drink water, coffee, tea, etc. I really don't feel the need for soda honestly. If I want something bubbly I just get a sparking juice or sparking water. Whats in a soda that you can't get from something else?
  • Achrya
    Options

No a damn thing.

Sorry about cutting across your conversation. My bad.

I would beg to differ. Even in the cases where somebody is asking "I'm thinking about using GC to lose weight but I've heard that it gives people nasty asparagus farts, what is your experience?" a perfectly valid response is "here is a study showing that it has no weight loss effect if you are not a rat."

Nasty asparagus farts?

Are those a thing?

(That's what I've chosen to take from this)