Is Diet Pepsi Really Bad For Me?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

You don't undersand why, when someone asks 'is diet soda bad for me', people use studies to answer the question and tend to frown on people using personal anecdotes to answer the question?

Simply put it's because your experience isn't the experience of others but studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large. Coming forth and saying "I feel better without diet soda" is about as worth while as someone with a peanut allergy saying 'I feel better without peanuts!' That's nice and all but what does it mean for people without that allergy?

No a damn thing.

OP didn't ask if you feel better without diet soda, they asked if diet soda is bad for them. Your personal experience has no bearing on that.
    So for the OP's question, the general answer /should/ have been, "Find out for yourself." ? Since neither group study nor personal experience would help them.

"studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large."

The answer /should/ have been "here's a study, this is how it applies to you."

Indeed. If OP has asked "I'm thinking about giving up Diet Soda because I've heard doing so makes people fly; have you given it up and sprouted wings?" then personal experience would be warranted and indeed would have been asked for.

But when asking if something is harmful/bad then actual studies are what, in my opinion, rules.

Sorry about cutting across your conversation. My bad.

I would beg to differ. Even in the cases where somebody is asking "I'm thinking about using GC to lose weight but I've heard that it gives people nasty asparagus farts, what is your experience?" a perfectly valid response is "here is a study showing that it has no weight loss effect if you are not a rat."

Nasty asparagus farts?

Are those a thing?

(That's what I've chosen to take from this)

That's what I've taken from the endless back-and-forth about it.

Epic, hideous farts.
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Kidney stones!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Kidney stones!
    .would love to see some scientific studies that actually prove that kidney stones are a result of drinking diet soda. Btw, correlation does not equal causation before you go find a blog post by someone who developed them and happened to be drinking diet soda and thinks it causes it
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    On a side not, can. I say I hate when people say diet soda (or anything else) causes diabetes? That is a completely uneducated and insulting statement.

Ha! Not only has diet soda caused my diabetes, it crashed my car, spent all my money, and slept with my ex.

DIET SODA IS THE DEVIL. :O
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Knowing the chemical composition of aspartame (aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol) really makes me think twice before partaking in an ice cold diet beverage. I do still drink a diet pop occasionally, but it is quite rare. If you think it is safe because the FDA says so, then you have WAYYYYY too much faith in the government. And if that is the case, I've got a bridge to sell you...
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

You don't undersand why, when someone asks 'is diet soda bad for me', people use studies to answer the question and tend to frown on people using personal anecdotes to answer the question?

Simply put it's because your experience isn't the experience of others but studies about things like aspartame and the lack of harm it causes in humans *do* apply to the population at large. Coming forth and saying "I feel better without diet soda" is about as worth while as someone with a peanut allergy saying 'I feel better without peanuts!' That's nice and all but what does it mean for people without that allergy?

No a damn thing.

OP didn't ask if you feel better without diet soda, they asked if diet soda is bad for them. Your personal experience has no bearing on that.
    So for the OP's question, the general answer /should/ have been, "Find out for yourself." ? Since neither group study nor personal experience would help them.

No the answer is "these studies show that diet soda has no ill effects on people barring allergies and will not impact your health." They already know how diet soda effects them personally, so telling them to find out for themself is silly. They're asking specifically about the healthfulness of it, which is something that can be answered.

These studies are all funded by companies that sell aspartame. That's about the same as trusting a cigarette study funded by Marlboro.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Knowing the chemical composition of aspartame (aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol) really makes me think twice before partaking in an ice cold diet beverage. I do still drink a diet pop occasionally, but it is quite rare. If you think it is safe because the FDA says so, then you have WAYYYYY too much faith in the government. And if that is the case, I've got a bridge to sell you...
    All of those ingredients of aspartame are found in other stuff. In any alcoholic beverage you drink there will be methanol. Everything that has protein in it will have aspratic acid and phenylanine.

Also, there's literally 2(!) threads about aspartame and why it isn't going to kill you stickied on the forums.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No a damn thing.

No the answer is "these studies show that diet soda has no ill effects on people barring allergies and will not impact your health." They already know how diet soda effects them personally, so telling them to find out for themself is silly. They're asking specifically about the healthfulness of it, which is something that can be answered.

These studies are all funded by companies that sell aspartame. That's about the same as trusting a cigarette study funded by Marlboro.

You mean the studies that found aspertame can be harmful in large amounts were funded by companies that sell aspartame?

Well they handled that rather poorly didn't they? Probably should have labled it totally harmless if they were gonna be doing shady stuff.
  • redmagpie91
    Options

No a damn thing.

You mean the studies that found aspertame can be harmful in large amounts were funded by companies that sell aspartame?

Well they handled that rather poorly didn't they? Probably should have labled it totally harmless if they were gonna be doing shady stuff.

I meant the studies that showed aspartame has no ill effects other than to those with allergies. It was a reply to the one right above mine.

I just think people should take things with a grain of salt. No, it's probably not causing tumors, but I have a hard time believing it is completely, without a doubt, 100% healthy. Science is always changing and we know things that we certainly didn't know 100, 50 or even 5 years ago. Research and science is never absolute.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    <---- lives on coke zero.

Is still alive.

Doesn't mean your cells are healthy.

My grams smokes. She's still alive.

Alright, what would your definition of a healthy person be then, smarty pants?

Still hoping for an answer to this one. Am worried about that my cells may be unhealthy...
  • likitisplit
    Options

No a damn thing.

I meant the studies that showed aspartame has no ill effects other than to those with allergies. It was a reply to the one right above mine.

I just think people should take things with a grain of salt. No, it's probably not causing tumors, but I have a hard time believing it is completely, without a doubt, 100% healthy. Science is always changing and we know things that we certainly didn't know 100, 50 or even 5 years ago. Research and science is never absolute.

What about potatoes? Do potatoes cause tumors? Shouldn't we study them some more?
  • redmagpie91
    Options

No a damn thing.

What about potatoes? Do potatoes cause tumors? Shouldn't we study them some more?

Potatoes are grown, not man-made. That's completely different. And I definitely said that I DOUBT aspartame is causing tumors. I can tell you just really want to argue, but we don't know everything and never will. Research changes CONSTANTLY. I'm not saying no one should drink it. I'm just saying people should realize that not everything should be taken at face value. We used to use a lot of cancer causing plastics before they were researched more. Sure, most people didn't get cancer but some still did. It may not cause cancer, but it's still a man-made chemical and people are perfectly allowed to not want to put that into their bodies.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for you, just because something is not natural doesn't mean it's bad for you.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.

Water should be your primary "liquid" throughout the day.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    On a side note, taste-wise....

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

This is a feud I've never understood. They have different notes, but overall I rate the two colas (diet and otherwise) pretty much equal. I've been in the mood for one over the other, but I don't personally have a preference. I just find it really interesting.

Yeah, I enjoy the "regular" versions of both Coke and Pepsi. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one over the other too. But, with the diet versions, Coke is just a no-no for me. I can't stand the taste lol.

Hey man, everybody's different. I just think it's really interesting how deep the divide can go.

If I can just ask... does adding a flavor change Diet Coke for you? Like if it's cherry or with lime?

Hmm, I didn't even know they had flavored versions. My eye usually just glosses over the Diet Coke section hahaha. Next time I see it, I'll try a can!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get bloated out from the carbonation, but I still love pop... and the carbonated flavored water at Wally-World.

I get plenty of water in but at meals I usually down a pop or carbonated water.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No a damn thing.

Same studies. There are no ill effects in humans, except in the case of allergies. Unless you're drinking what amounts to 2 or 3 24 can packs a day (large amounts).

It seems to me if they were up to no good they'd just say harmless but, in fact, the studies do admit that stupid large amounts cab cause harm. The very studies you scoff at.
  • likitisplit
    Options

No a damn thing.

Same studies. There are no ill effects in humans, except in the case of allergies. Unless you're drinking what amounts to 2 or 3 24 can packs a day (large amounts).

It seems to me if they were up to no good they'd just say harmless but, in fact, the studies do admit that stupid large amounts cab cause harm. The very studies you scoff at.

They are just wily.