Ladies how much do you squat???

12346»

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    I want to squat with barbells (and do other lifts with them) but, and I have no idea why, I am terrified of starting. I currently do 30 squats with a 10 lb plate in my hands, arms extended, and 30 squats with a 6 lb ball, above my head extended and then behind my head.

I want to ask someone at my gym to help me with using barbells, but I have this awkward problem of always sounding creepy when I talk to strangers.

Definitely ask someone for help and try the barbell! It makes a ton of difference. And I have found that the people in the weights area are super nice and generally love to help out new lifters.

But be warned that that difference includes balance. I'm 5'3, weigh 162, and as a newbie to the back squat, I only squat 55lbs (2 sets of 15 reps). Part of that is because I have had a recurring neck injury that I don't want to upset, so I am working on building up my core, and part of it is because the Olympic bar is longer than I am tall, so getting a good low squat is hard while keeping it balanced, even empty.
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    I want to squat with barbells (and do other lifts with them) but, and I have no idea why, I am terrified of starting. I currently do 30 squats with a 10 lb plate in my hands, arms extended, and 30 squats with a 6 lb ball, above my head extended and then behind my head.

I want to ask someone at my gym to help me with using barbells, but I have this awkward problem of always sounding creepy when I talk to strangers.

Definitely ask someone for help and try the barbell! It makes a ton of difference. And I have found that the people in the weights area are super nice and generally love to help out new lifters.

But be warned that that difference includes balance. I'm 5'3, weigh 162, and as a newbie to the back squat, I only squat 55lbs (2 sets of 15 reps). Part of that is because I have had a recurring neck injury that I don't want to upset, so I am working on building up my core, and part of it is because the Olympic bar is longer than I am tall, so getting a good low squat is hard while keeping it balanced, even empty.

I did it! I didn't want to interrupt any of the guys, so I went to the trainer desk and asked a lady there. She didn't know how, but she got a male trainer who showed both of us how to do it. :) I'm only at the bar, which is 45 lbs, and I need to work on squatting lower, but I did it! I need to make a conscious effort to stick my butt out more though. But I'm happy I faced my fear.
  • keflexxxx
    keflexxxx Posts: 25 Member
    awesome, well done. an easy way to work on mobility is just to practice squatting unweighted. craig weller wrote a great article on this called the third-world squat, recommended reading: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_thirdworld_squat
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Today was my first day and I did 125 unassisted.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    135lbs for 6 reps. I don't my max right now.
  • Just started again. Only 40lbs
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    135 lbs 4x8

I love me some lifting!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    5x5: 185lbs

1 rep max: 200lbs
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    165lbs for 12 is my set record....im not much for 1RM so I dont know what it is...
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Well I am sore at the very bottom of my neck almost upper back. Am I resting it too high?

Me too. :(
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Currently up to 90# , 2x12