Obscure Film Favorites

Options

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    killer klowns from outerspace

Dudette, that's just freaky. And stick your tongue back in your head.

no
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Confessions

Tyrranosaur

Bad Education and/or the skin I live in

(Almodovar is excellent!)
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Immortal - AMAZING CGI
    Renaissance - black & white cell shading with voices by Daniel Craig
    SLC Punk

And I'll toss another vote out there for The Fall & Grave of the Fireflies.

Added the first two, I've seen SLC and Grave, The Fall was added too :)
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The Station Agent

The Way

Faith, Fraud, and Minimum Wage

Tyrannosaur

Hooray for The Station Agent! Love that film.

Also, for German films Lives of Others is wonderful. Though it should already be on your list.

I didn't know we were doing foreign language or it would have been on there!. Right along with all three of the Trois Couleurs films. And many others.

Can I add another one that probably no one has even heard of? Donny Deckchair. I loved that film.

Of course! Feel free to add more! I've actually got the Three Colors trilogy DVRed now. The 1,001 list only has two of them but I figured I would be best watching all three. I can't find Donny Deckchair though :-/
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Drop dead gorgeous
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The Court Jester with Danny Kaye... Angela Lansbury was the young beautiful princess... I still laugh histarically everytime I see it... Unfortunately, it's hard to find and I only have an old VHS copy that is almost beyond ability to watch.

The Court Jester is one of my all time favorite movies. So very funny.

My list is:

Serenity
    Canadian Bacon - this is one of the most underrated movies of all time.
    Them
    The Blob
    The Life of Brian
    Attack of the Killer Tomatos

The old Godzilla movies. I also love the Gamera movies.

Old Vincent Price movies - there are so many and most were really good.

Those were a pretty good collection of films! I was glad I asked, can't find Canadian Bacon though :-/
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Moonrise Kingdom (although the two kids fondling each other made me queasy)

Thanks For Sharing- Mark Ruffalo and Gwyneth Paltrow were excellent in this movie.

I couldn't agree more! Anything by Wes Anderson is awesome! :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    What I like about you OP is that it seems you're open to seeing just about anything, no matter the subject. That's a real film lover!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Miller's Crossing by the Cohen brothers
    The Dead, a version of the James Joyce short story
    If Lucy Fell
    The Field, another Irish movie about the John B. Keane play (who I met at his bar before his passing)

I actually just bought the Cohen Brothers boxset on Blu-Ray not long ago. I've seen all the rest except Miller's Crossing, I guess I have a good reason to watch it now :)
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    I haven't read through all these so hopefully I'm not repeating suggestions. I'm more mainstream. Some of my favorite movies are Fight Club, Amelie, The Princess Bride, The Prestige, and The Fifth Element. My husband is a movie buff and has exposed me to some great movies I wouldn't normally watch. Incendies and Tell No One are two foreign films I wouldn't have watched without him suggesting them to me. They were both incredible. He likes one called Enter the Void but I haven't watched it - I can't take too much drug use and the movie basically starts off right away with drugs. It's also pretty abstract and I don't enjoy that kind of thing. He knows me well enough to avoid having me watch things I wouldn't enjoy. That wasn't true early in our relationship when he made me watch Requiem for a Dream. I acknowledge that it's a well made movie but the subject matter is just much too dark and depressing for me. And that last scene...ugh.

I will definitely add the foreign ones :) I've seen the others but Enter The Void has always looked interesting to me so I'll definitely add that!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Gonna add ELECTION - so realistic! (Matthew Broderick, Reese Witherspoon)

Also on that note, I agree with the suggestions of Welcome to the Dollhouse and KIDS.

ELECTION rules! I loved that movie!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Queen Margot - it's a French film but one of my all time favorite movies. Sex, drama, murder, intrigue, and all the pageantry of a French royal family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110963/

Thanks! I've got it added! Sounds like fun!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Girls
    To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Have not seen Beautiful Girls - but the other two are favorites of mine as well
  • forswearitssight
    forswearitssight Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Haven't read every post so I'm not sure if these have been mentioned already. My cult favorites would definitely have to be Clue, Empire Records, The Craft, anything Mel Brooks. I could probably keep going if I really thought it about :smile:
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Not sure if you're a horror fan, but if Wes Craven's New Nightmare isn't one that you've seen before I'd definitely suggest watching the original Nightmare on Elm Street first before viewing.

I love horror! I own the entire NOES franchise on Blu-Ray :)
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Gonna add ELECTION - so realistic! (Matthew Broderick, Reese Witherspoon)

Also on that note, I agree with the suggestions of Welcome to the Dollhouse and KIDS.

ELECTION rules! I loved that movie!

Election ,yes, of why did I forget about that one? Never watch it on tv always movie.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Uncle Boonmee who can recall his previous lives

Dogtooth

Triangle

De rouille et d'os

Last life in the universe

Carry on camping

Interesting mix! I've added them all, I just hope 2046 is better than In The Mood For Love! lol

Even if you don't like 2046 you can sit with your jaw in your lap because every scene is so beautiful. I hope you do see Uncle Boonmee, love that film so much.

I thought of a couple more:

Holy Motors

Ip Man

Curse of the Golden Flower
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Umm the Yellow wallpaper

Labyrinth

Dark crystal

Sadly, The Yellow Wallpaper isn't on Netflix but loved the other two. The Yellow Wallpaper seems interesting, I'll have to hunt it down somewhere.
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've got May on my queue already :) LOVED City of God! Can't find "La Vie est Belle" anywhere :/ Amelie is in my top five easily!

^^^^

The reason you can't find it is because it is called La Vita E Bella. It is an Italian movie set in WWII. It is a beautiful story; you have to watch in the original format because the language dubbing ruins the movie.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    And whomever suggested Angel-A… I <3 you :))