IF -One meal a day nutrition

Options

Replies

• Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't work for me.. but if it works for you and you can sustain this for the rest of your life.... and you end up having the body you are aiming for - GO FOR IT!

Ensure you have calculated your macro's, and have weighed your food initially so you are evaluating whether you are getting all your nutrients. Also take note of your fibre as daily rec is 30grams for us women. You may need to supplement with pshyllium husk or something to ensure your fibre intake is where it needs to be. i would also include daily fish oil and a multi-vit. Also, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate 3L+ per day!!

Good luck OP. I've lost over 110lbs.. so I know how challenging it is... the greatest challenge, however is NOT in the losing, but in the maintaining - so just ensure this strategy can take you to the grave or this IF heaven you are in today, may turn in to IF hell in the future.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I NEVER SAID THAT I WAS LOOKING TO LOSE THAT MUCH THAT FAST !!!!!!
    IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!
    BUT IM NOT GOING INTO THIS THINING OHHH IM GOING TO LOSE 180 POUNDS IN 10 MONTHS !!!!
    I am doing this for my health and it has made me feel great so far, so dont put words in my mouth.
    I was putting that on there as a (YOU SEE IT WORKS) type thing. so dont hunny!

It should also be pointed out that IF isn't going to change the fact that it all comes down to calories. If you spread 1,500 calories across 6 meals, 3 meals, or 1 meal you will end up losing the same amount of weight. So, I.F. is not why that person lost 173 pounds in 10 months. That person would have lost the same amount of weight eating 6 meals and the same number of calories. It may have been a tool they used to help control their caloric intake,

^^ And just in case the above gets missed, this is exactly correct ^^
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Why would one want to fast for 22 hours? Would that not make someone cranky?

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    sorry for me leading a different lifestyle from your is going to make my life unpleasant.
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!
    BUT IM NOT GOING INTO THIS THINING OHHH IM GOING TO LOSE 180 POUNDS IN 10 MONTHS !!!!
    I am doing this for my health and it has made me feel great so far, so dont put words in my mouth.

I'm going to speculate that for the OP of this thread, the answer to the bolded question is yes based on anecdotal evidence.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :noway:

I am not cranky, im actually very happy right now lol.
    But it does piss me of when someone puts things in my mouth or trys to make me into a bad guy!
    so yes he is a douche. saying that im going to live a unpleasent life makes him a big DOUCHE :explode:

I would recommend that you re-read the replies you were given in this thread. You have made personal attacks and having re-read the responses to you, not one person called you any names or insulted you. They disagreed with you, and there's a gigantic difference between a disagreement and a personal attack.

You are lashing out with name calling because someone is presenting ideas or concepts that don't fit your current biases.

Im not about to go through this with you dude!
    I am open to any suggestions!
    however I do not see how saying I am going to live a unpleasent life has to do with anything.
    he was being rude in that sense, he wasnt speaking about himself living a unpleasent life he was talking about mine!
    and my life is great right now!
    so dont!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    sorry for me leading a different lifestyle from your is going to make my life unpleasant.
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

I'm going to speculate that for the OP of this thread, the answer to the bolded question is yes based on anecdotal evidence.

But it does piss me of when someone puts things in my mouth or trys to make me into a bad guy!
    so yes he is a douche. saying that im going to live a unpleasent life makes him a big DOUCHE :explode:

I would recommend that you re-read the replies you were given in this thread. You have made personal attacks and having re-read the responses to you, not one person called you any names or insulted you. They disagreed with you, and there's a gigantic difference between a disagreement and a personal attack.

You are lashing out with name calling because someone is presenting ideas or concepts that don't fit your current biases.

however I do not see how saying I am going to live a unpleasent life has to do with anything.
    he was being rude in that sense, he wasnt speaking about himself living a unpleasent life he was talking about mine!
    so dont!!

I think you are looking way more into it than you should and realize it can be hard to decipher tone and actual meaning through text. My suggestion. Stop with the insults and if someone were to actually be talking about you/your life, than either listen to the advice or don't. It's the internet and, well, life. Everyone can say what they want in whatever manner they want...though as others have pointed out, it really isn't as "rude" as you are taking it to be.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat 1400 calories in one meal. No problem there! Even without candy. Heck, two burgers after a long bike ride and a beer are 1000+ calories, and that's before digging into the roasted potatoes.

If by your own admission you feel great (and I assume you're also seeing the results you expect), why change things? On the other hand, if you have problems eating 1400 calories in an arbitrary time window (2 hours?) maybe this scheme is not for you. The community here is not made of doctors or nutrition professionals. So if you're going up on a tangent with a tool and community (MFP) not designed for such purpose, you can't really blame it.

It's simply not made for that. If you're inclined to follow the IF scheme, why not use their resources? I have no idea how you'd set up your nutritional goals for that strategy, or how to cope with feeling full eating that concentrated every day. Maybe you need to be creative, too - it's Ramadan now, so literally hundreds of millions of people around the world are following an intermittent fasting diet with various degrees of strictness.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think some people who do IF drink some sort of protein shake with their meal, that might help! Not sure if I could handle 22:2, I've been thinking about trying 16:8...

Edited to add...there's a couple of Intermittant Fasting groups here on MFP, maybe they could give you some suggestions if you post there. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Followed by you going through this with me:
    so dont!!

But since you said this:

My suggestions are to read the advice from the person you are attacking.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I also do IF (2 months now) and I find it satisfying and sustainable, BUT I could never do only 2 hours for feeding.

My daily intake is around 1900, which I consume over about 6 hours.

OP, why not widen your feeding window to 4-6 hours instead of 2 so you have time to get more calories in?
  • Romyarts2014
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

so dont!!

I think you are looking way more into it than you should and realize it can be hard to decipher tone and actual meaning through text. My suggestion. Stop with the insults and if someone were to actually be talking about you/your life, than either listen to the advice or don't. It's the internet and, well, life. Everyone can say what they want in whatever manner they want...though as others have pointed out, it really isn't as "rude" as you are taking it to be.

Point is i am not going to explain my reaction over something I took a certain way!

I take everything with a open heart! I just dont appreciate people being negative towards me for my choices.
    Thats it, and i appreciate the advice everyone gives! but I dont apreciate sarcasm or rudeness end of that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

so dont!!

you need to calm down. seriously- before someone reports you for blatantly violating site rules and being generally rude and ignorant in general.

You are completely overreacting to extremely helpful advice.

on to more helpful advice- that I suspect you are doing to dismiss because I'm pointing out you're over reacting. But I'll take time out of my busy day and say it anyway.

1.) You're calories are a bit low- you could easily lose significant weight and eat more food than that.
    2.) Doing 1 meal a day is fine- it can just be difficult if you are eating low calorie dense foods- i.e. lots of chicken and veggies.
    3.) Like mentioned- you might want to open youre window to 4 or 6 hours- that is perfectly acceptable.
    4.) there is no right answer to IF- or any wrong answer.

If it is sustainable (and reasonably healthy)- and it works FOR YOU- than it is "the right answer"
    If it makes you miserable- is too difficult to adhere to- messes up your social life- or requires to much willpower- or in general makes you a raging maniac- then it's not for you- then it is is the WRONG answer.

But you have to 1.) fuel your body properly 2.) do what is long term sustainable 3.) stop being so ragey for no reason.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    But you have to 1.) fuel your body properly 2.) do what is long term sustainable 3.) stop being so ragey for no reason.
    :flowerforyou: THIS
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    Here's a real answer... no sarcasm (odd for me)

When i was still on my diet track.. I did a relaxed version of IF and IIFYM.

I did a 6 hr feeding window, tried a few times to shorten it into one lone meal, but that was too long of a break for me. I don't do breakfast. I drink my coffee, but I add creamer to it, so that puts me over the "under 60 calories" breaking the fast rule. When i ate my dinner... i had a lot of meat, like two steaks worth, or a pound of cooked ground beef patties. Full fat milk takes a while to get accustomed to, but it is delicious once you adapt, butter and olive oil and PEANUT BUTTER. I also supplemented with some protein shakes on days that I didn't think I would get enough protein, but I aimed to get roughly 150g per day.

I don't know any of your stats, i just saw that you said you were morbidly obese. 1400 could be fine for a while, but i would look into a good calorie goal for yourself. Use this page, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get a good idea of where you should be.
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    I can easily eat 1400 calories in one meal. No problem there! Even without candy. Heck, two burgers after a long bike ride and a beer are 1000+ calories, and that's before digging into the roasted potatoes.

If by your own admission you feel great (and I assume you're also seeing the results you expect), why change things? On the other hand, if you have problems eating 1400 calories in an arbitrary time window (2 hours?) maybe this scheme is not for you. The community here is not made of doctors or nutrition professionals. So if you're going up on a tangent with a tool and community (MFP) not designed for such purpose, you can't really blame it.

It's simply not made for that. If you're inclined to follow the IF scheme, why not use their resources? I have no idea how you'd set up your nutritional goals for that strategy, or how to cope with feeling full eating that concentrated every day. Maybe you need to be creative, too - it's Ramadan now, so literally hundreds of millions of people around the world are following an intermittent fasting diet with various degrees of strictness.

I have no problem eating the 1400 calories lol
    My problem is just making sure I get the right nutritional needs within that meal. But I do beleive with eating chicken, steak veggies and taking Multi vitamins I should be good. And I will be taking the advice to drink a protein shake.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

I stated a fact, that losing 173 pounds in 10 months is probably unrealistic and unsafe for the vast majority of people. I even gave an example of where it may not be (morbidly obese people), although even then I am not sure it could be completely risk free. Heck, the Reux-en-Y surgery typically results in 60% excess weight lost (according to webmd). If we assume that is over one year, that would be only about 125 pounds (for a 400 pound person who should weigh 150) in 10 months. That's less than the the results we're talking here. And weight loss at that rate almost always carries physical risks and consequences (like gallbladder failure, for example).

Stating that fact drives you nuts, by your own words. If hearing unpleasant facts upsets you and drives you nuts, you're going to have a pretty unpleasant life because the world is full of unpleasant facts. We don't always get to hear the things we want to.

If you want to be angry with me about that, I am still not the person who has the problem.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to get caught up in the thread-drama... just want to offer some advice. Try adding in a protein shake mixed with milk at the end of your feed window or before bed (even if it's outside your technical feed-window... the exact timing ratio is pretty arbitrary) to help you get more protein and calories.

I do a 16:8 fast most days but am flexible with hours and timing if my body's telling me I need something different. I haven't noticed any different the amount of weight loss with comparable macros spread out over 4-6 small meals but I do find it much easier and more sustainable for my lifestyle!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

so dont!!

Point is i am not going to explain my reaction over something I took a certain way!

I take everything with a open heart! I just dont appreciate people being negative towards me for my choices.
    Thats it, and i appreciate the advice everyone gives! but I dont apreciate sarcasm or rudeness end of that.

This is a public forum...and ....the internet. You may not "appreciate" sarcasm, snark, etc..but it doesn't mean that the person is being "rude". And even so, it's their right to be rude. Not saying you "can't" be miffed about it, but you "can't" go around insulting people on this forum and even more so, you probably shouldn't let it get to you so much.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I have no problem eating the 1400 calories lol
    My problem is just making sure I get the right nutritional needs within that meal. But I do beleive with eating chicken, steak veggies and taking Multi vitamins I should be good. And I will be taking the advice to drink a protein shake.

Again. How is 1400 your calorie goal if you weight what you say you do. This seems unsustainable in the sense that it can lead to health issues. My guess is that it should be higher. But I dont know your specifics so I couldnt calculate that for you
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    You made this statement:
    But I want to make sure that while I make changes on the outside, i am also making the right changes on the inside.

and it seems it could apply to more than just nutritional needs. You asked a question in a public forum and you received answers. You might not like everything you hear, but it may benefit you to take a step back, try to see this thread in a different light and start to make those changes you spoke of in your OP.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Don't burst her bubble guys - she wont have anywhere to live!
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    OP:
    You made this statement:
    But I want to make sure that while I make changes on the outside, i am also making the right changes on the inside.

and it seems it could apply to more than just nutritional needs. You asked a question in a public forum and you received answers. You might not like everything you hear, but it may benefit you to take a step back, try to see this thread in a different light and start to make those changes you spoke of in your OP.

I agree, maybe i was a bit out of line.
    And I am taking everything with a open heart. I love IF, and my doctor cleared me. I eat for 2 hours a day and women and men do it all around the world. Mine might be a little more extreme than someone doing 8 hours through the day but I do not see that as a real fast.