Cut out soda completely, and haven't lost a pound!

Options

Replies

• Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    get your broscience outta here, youre probably not eating as much as you think, and "some people do not lose a pound of weight despite being in caloric deficits and exercising" are eating more than they think.

show me a study that has people not losing weight while in a calorie deficit, or people not gaining while in a surplus. otherwise, accept that you are wrong

You still don't get the thing, well, not only you, ok, let's say it differently.

I invite all of you to read about something called "a calorie is not a calorie", our digestive system does not treat all the calories equally, watch another video called "Sugar, the bitter truth", they give examples of how different sugars are digestive with all scientific detail.

But, for the last time, to see if you all understand my point. Yes it is true that you need a caloric deficit to lose weight, or surplus to gain weight BUT, and here is what I try to explain, UNLESS you have a healthy digestive system, and your hormones are working properly, your body is NOT going to know that you have all those extra calories stored, same thing if you ant to get weight, if every thing is not ok your body WILL NOT digest part of your foods and you will not get weight.

Calories in - Calories out.

If you aren't losing then you've fluffed up one side of the equation. It's that simple.

If you, personally, were eating 2500 and not losing/gaining, then you've found maintenance. Congratulations, you now have an accurate figure from which to base your upcoming cut/bulk. It's often the first thing I do before embarking on either one. Then you have something substantive to work with.

I was eating less before and I was keeping my weight, I moved my calories up 700 calories a day, That is way too much difference to still call it "maintenance".

And for those who talk about that people are not having "real" caloric deficits, please, how many of you know someone eating veggies and chicken breast 3 times a day and not losing a pound, don't create answers. Thee are millions of people overweighted, just look at the US and if the theory is calories in - calories out is that simple we wouldn't have as much people as we have, we leave surrounded of diets, pills and millions of things to lose weight, we have more info and remedies than never before but we, ironically, have more fat people than ever before.
  • mcloving81
    Options
    What about the rest of your diet?

What is your exercise regime?
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    And also, when you put your body in a caloric deficit, it will slow down your metabolism after a while, it will shut down different processes in our body in order to survive.

This is because your body thinks that there is an "starvation time" and is going to think that you are not going to get food in a while, so it will use anything before burning fat, muscle will go first, because the body does not care about looking good, it cares about survivability, and in the presence of big caloric deficits the body will take any calorie and converted into fat, even if you have 40 pounds of extra fat.

Your BMR will change and you will burn less, that is why people in caloric deficits gets every thing back after a few months.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I was eating less before and I was keeping my weight, I moved my calories up 700 calories a day, That is way too much difference to still call it "maintenance".

It normally happens when you try to bulk. You unconsciously up your activity level and burn off the surplus you're taking in. It's not magic. You just have to brute force it and eat even more.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    get your broscience outta here, youre probably not eating as much as you think, and "some people do not lose a pound of weight despite being in caloric deficits and exercising" are eating more than they think.

show me a study that has people not losing weight while in a calorie deficit, or people not gaining while in a surplus. otherwise, accept that you are wrong

You still don't get the thing, well, not only you, ok, let's say it differently.

I invite all of you to read about something called "a calorie is not a calorie", our digestive system does not treat all the calories equally, watch another video called "Sugar, the bitter truth", they give examples of how different sugars are digestive with all scientific detail.

But, for the last time, to see if you all understand my point. Yes it is true that you need a caloric deficit to lose weight, or surplus to gain weight BUT, and here is what I try to explain, UNLESS you have a healthy digestive system, and your hormones are working properly, your body is NOT going to know that you have all those extra calories stored, same thing if you ant to get weight, if every thing is not ok your body WILL NOT digest part of your foods and you will not get weight.

Calories in - Calories out.

If you aren't losing then you've fluffed up one side of the equation. It's that simple.

If you, personally, were eating 2500 and not losing/gaining, then you've found maintenance. Congratulations, you now have an accurate figure from which to base your upcoming cut/bulk. It's often the first thing I do before embarking on either one. Then you have something substantive to work with.

And for those who talk about that people are not having "real" caloric deficits, please, how many of you know someone eating veggies and chicken breast 3 times a day and not losing a pound, don't create answers. Thee are millions of people overweighted, just look at the US and if the theory is calories in - calories out is that simple we wouldn't have as much people as we have, we leave surrounded of diets, pills and millions of things to lose weight, we have more info and remedies than never before but we, ironically, have more fat people than ever before.

Yea. Please teach us how it's done. lol
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    She meant his use of "Fat people" is offensive.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    She meant his use of "Fat people" is offensive.

Missed that post. My bad.

My point about diet coke, well that still stands...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

healthy digestive system would effect calories in (i.e. you would be absorbing more/less calories), so that doesnt disprove it.

hormones are another issue, they will effect it to some degree but again thats really just your TDEE changing. your body ALWAYS has extra calories stored, so yes it will burn that fat

i dont know anyone who eats chicken and broccoli 3 x a day, but then again i dont pay attention to what others eat. im sure they would lose weight, but only if they were in a calorie deficit. there are fat vegetarians you know

as for your last point, we have all these diets and remedies in the industry because people are fat, and they dont work because people are lazy/gluttonous
  • BigT555
    Options
    And also, when you put your body in a caloric deficit, it will slow down your metabolism after a while, it will shut down different processes in our body in order to survive.

This is because your body thinks that there is an "starvation time" and is going to think that you are not going to get food in a while, so it will use anything before burning fat, muscle will go first, because the body does not care about looking good, it cares about survivability, and in the presence of big caloric deficits the body will take any calorie and converted into fat, even if you have 40 pounds of extra fat.

Your BMR will change and you will burn less, that is why people in caloric deficits gets every thing back after a few months.
    also you are greatly overstating the effects of metabolic adaptation

eta; people gain back the weight because they go back to their old habits
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options

It normally happens when you try to bulk. You unconsciously up your activity level and burn off the surplus you're taking in. It's not magic. You just have to brute force it and eat even more.

I have a different problem, the reason of why I was not getting weight is because of two things, first I have, still have, small liver issues, bile problems, my liver was dysfunctional recycling bile, and without bile you can't digest fats and some vitamins, so I was basically creating gases because of the waste products and my liver was a bit "overwhelmed" and also I have adrenal problems because of stress that I had before, my adrenal glands were completely exhausted and cortisol was all over the place, so I ended up having a small belly on my abdomen, not much fortunately.

So, for me, in order to make my calories in - out work I need to solve both of these problems and then my body will manage to make the science work, it is just an example of what I was explaining.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    also you are greatly overstating the effects of metabolic adaptation

eta; people gain back the weight because they go back to their old habits

Metabolic adaptation is slow, but this whole thing about starvation and fat storing is due to our evolution, you know we evolve through time, our genetics change, they've been doing it thousands of years and even in our specie we have differences, for instance, Asians have a digestive system that tolerates a lot more soy than occidentals.

The evolutionary fact that explains this is simple, before, when we were cavemen, we had periods of starvation and periods of feasting, so our bodies learnt this and our brains have a mechanism which is like when you enter in big caloric deficits, our brain is going to think "starvation period, store fat", when is feasting, is going to think the opposite.

When a person is fat, we are talking about real fat, not 5 pounds, the person usually have insulin and leptin resistance as a consequence, leptin is a hormone that, among other things, tells to your brain "fat stores are ok", before burning fat, leptin resistance blocks the communication between leptin and the brain, therefore your brain gets no answer and thinks "I do not have enough fat reserves", so it will store more (on top of your 40 extra pounds).

Our brains don't know what a diet is, don't know that we have supermarkets in every corner, don't know that we are going to eat in 10 minutes, they just understand about that, because of evolution.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

No-GIF1.gif

Th
  • NYGiantsGirl73
    Options

No-GIF1.gif

Th

Brought to you by "Vaccines: It's Better to Let Your Kid Die of Polio"
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    How can people not see scarecrow is a troll is beyond me. People are actually engaging this person. This person...who has less than 20 posts and a brand new profile. As if they made a profile just to argue with people. Hmmmmmm...

If someone says something THAT ridiculous to where you get whiplash saying "ah hell naw", then most likely they are saying it to get a reaction and not to have a genuine conversation.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

No-GIF1.gif

The old calorie is not a calorie argument along with the "sugar is the devil" argument...Yeah, and a pound is not a pound, an inch is not an inch, etc etc. Do us all a favor:

fhyi7VX.gif

and then

tumblr_lvhajncF521r5yh4yo1_400.gif

ETA: How the hell did that double post happen?
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    2) lol @ bolded part. Really? By what mechanism does a zero calorie drink cause a calorie surplus and fat gain?

We drink more diet soda than never before, we are also fatter than never before.

Just few examples to answer your question:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/29/10-reasons-to-give-up-diet-soda/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI

Just Google and read, is not so hard, another one confused with the calories thing...
  • stardisgate
    stardisgate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well this is something I have studied a lot, because my doctor told me to cut out ALL soda. Maybe I am getting the wrong information, but what I am finding in this article and several others, is this information on artificial sweeteners.

"They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
    It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day."

Full article here... Yes it is huffington post, but it was the only one I could find that fully explained it. The others just said " diet soda makes you gain weight" This gives a better picture.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    2) lol @ bolded part. Really? By what mechanism does a zero calorie drink cause a calorie surplus and fat gain?

We drink more diet soda than never before, we are also fatter than never before.

Just few examples to answer your question:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/29/10-reasons-to-give-up-diet-soda/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI

Just Google and read, is not so hard, another one confused with the calories thing...

Please stop. It's too early in the morning to laugh this hard.
  • BigT555
    Options
    How can people not see scarecrow is a troll is beyond me. People are actually engaging this person. This person...who has less than 20 posts and a brand new profile. As if they made a profile just to argue with people. Hmmmmmm...

If someone says something THAT ridiculous to where you get whiplash saying "ah hell naw", then most likely they are saying it to get a reaction and not to have a genuine conversation.
    yea im pretty sure they are, but hey, its a slow day at work and i need something to do lol. plus if we leave this type of crap alone some poor soul may actually believe it