Thyroid RANT

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    GUESS WHAT! Your not like everybody else. If you were we would all be like you. So calm down grow some compassion or shut up.
    coming from a slytherin thats not surprising to hear. filthy little mudblood :grumble:

honestly i thought there would be a bit more blowback from this post, but kudos OP, hopefully some people with these issues will see this and it will help motivate them
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You are very lucky that you were able to lose weight with a non-functioning thyroid.

Not everyone is so lucky.

I spent many years trying to tell doctors I didn't eat too much and did exercise, but couldn't lose weight. I saw the looks on people's faces that I'm sure you have when they tell you that. People did not believe me. It was frustrating and depressing.

When my miracle happened and I was diagnosed, it was to the doctor, to the endo, to the cardiologist (I had trouble breathing, so needed cardiac clearance), and surgery. All of them saw me (as a new patient!) very quickly, because each office called the next and said, "She needs this surgery now." It was less than a month - I think it was 18 days total from the possibility of a diagnosis to surgery.

I couldn't exercise because I couldn't breathe well enough because my thyroid was strangling me. I couldn't even get up a flight of stairs without a break.

I was choking all the time. I had coughing fits that would lead to a total inability to breathe. Scared the hell out of my family. I'd wake up at night, panicked because I couldn't breathe.

I ate a LOT of carbs toward the end there, because if had NO energy and I craved them like a starving person craves food.

I'm happy for you that you're able to lose weight. I really am, very much am happy for you and everyone else who succeeds, especially those whose weight loss journey is extra difficult due to being hypo.

But do remember that other people might have different and even bigger problems than you do before you start yelling about them and how lazy they are.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I am really tired of the endless "hypothyroid" posts. "I cant lose weight because of my hypothyroid...."

Geuss what, YOU CAN! I did and SO CAN YOU

Does it make you feel tired, more hungry and lethargic when you thyroid is off? YES IT DOES

Having a hypothyroid is not a free pass into laziville, it just means you have to dig deep and WORK HARDER than other people, it does not make your fitness goals IMPOSSIBLE

SO STOP BLAMING YOUR THYROID!

-End Rant-
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    What would be helpful is if you could provide more specifics in what they should do to help themselves. I can't believe none of them are trying.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    What would be helpful is if you could provide more specifics in what they should do to help themselves. I can't believe none of them are trying.

make a commitment and follow through on a diet and excersize routine even when we feel tired and results are slow, stick it out.

And they dont try cuz its harder then regular people, we are always tired, aching, hungry. Like most people when results arenet instant or as quick as others, we give up.

The advice is dont give up or use it as an excuse, eat at a defecit and it WILL happen.

Ta. So much nicer than how u started the post.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

make a commitment and follow through on a diet and excersize routine even when we feel tired and results are slow, stick it out.

And they dont try cuz its harder then regular people, we are always tired, aching, hungry. Like most people when results arenet instant or as quick as others, we give up.

The advice is dont give up or use it as an excuse, eat at a defecit and it WILL happen.

It wasnt ment to be "nice" or helpful, hence the capitolized "RANT" title
    Yep I get it. But what's the point
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Thank you, as a hypothyroid sufferer I get real testy when told someone cant lose weight because of their thyroid, yeah gimme another excuse please............

My hair sucks, I am tired, lethargic, blah blah

when my hair gets dry and my skin gets dry and it is tough to get out of bed that means thyroid check time..... Dr just recently upped my meds after 2 years as thyroid levels had increased again

but it is never an excuse to say something CANT be done, IN FACT when I was in my 20's and early 30s I was able to go medication free for years simply by maintaining a healthy weight, diet, and excersize.

That only lasts so long though as I got older I had to control it through meds, but just proves that it can be done f you want it.
    dry hair isn't the problem. Dry hair is just dry.

Your hair falls out. Lots of it. Tons of it. Your eyebrows, too. I had 2/3 of an eyebrow. Even my stylist was suggesting thyroid problems, but my incompetent doctor said No.

The doctors said they didn't know if it would grow it might grow back. The stylist was very encouraging and said she's seen people whose hair comes back after they get fixed. I got a little back, but not most. I walk around looking like a woman with very little hair on the front part of her head. It's depressing.

Your experience is not like everyone's.

Now, I am sick of hearing people who don't know what the hell they're talking about lecturing others.

I am tired of you using your easy experience to trash people who had much more difficulty and tell them to be more like you. They can't be like you because their problems are bigger than your tiny one.

It's not an excuse for some people.

For some people, it CAN'T be done.

Have the humility to know that you don't know everything and that some people have it harder than you do. Geez.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are very lucky that you were able to lose weight with a non-functioning thyroid.

I spent many years trying to tell doctors I didn't eat too much and did exercise, but couldn't lose weight. I saw the looks on people's faces that I'm sure you have when they tell you that. People did not believe me. It was frustrating and depressing.

I definitely can relate to the years spent trying to explain to doctors that there was something wrong. It's such an ostracizing feeling when people don't believe your struggle. For me it wasn't just the weight gain, I lost a lot of hair, and my energy levels were pitiful (I often fell asleep immediately after dinner because I was experiencing such significant fatigue).

I think at the end of the day we can all accept that we're each on our own journey, and it's very likely that our struggles are not the same. I took this original post in a motivating way; that there's hope and no matter how impossible it may feel there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Kalikel
    Options

When my miracle happened and I was diagnosed, it was to the doctor, to the endo, to the cardiologist (I had trouble breathing, so needed cardiac clearance), and surgery. All of them saw me (as a new patient!) very quickly, because each office called the next and said, "She needs this surgery now." It was less than a month - I think it was 18 days total from the possibility of a diagnosis to surgery.

I couldn't exercise because I couldn't breathe well enough because my thyroid was strangling me. I couldn't even get up a flight of stairs without a break.

I was choking all the time. I had coughing fits that would lead to a total inability to breathe. Scared the hell out of my family. I'd wake up at night, panicked because I couldn't breathe.

I ate a LOT of carbs toward the end there, because if had NO energy and I craved them like a starving person craves food.

I'm happy for you that you're able to lose weight. I really, very much am happy for you and everyone else who succeeds.

But do remember that other people might have different and even bigger problems than you do before you start yelling about them and how lazy they are.

Your situation is extreme and does not apply to the "I cant lose weight because of my thyroid" group.

Sorry you had to go through that however, it does not sway my feelings on the subject.

I dont buy into sickness as an excuse, you are talking to someone who has survived a tumor and brain anuerism and a thyroid condition...all in the same year.

I empathize with the struggles of illness, but it is not my excuse or lifestyle.

So again, sorry you had to go through that, next question, now that you know what are you doing now?
    It wasn't an excuse. It was a fact.

Lay off people who have problems. Fix yourself. Fix whatever is wrong with you that causes you to go online and yell at people whose lives are already rough. Whatever it is about you that is making you want to set yourself up as better...to the point that you must start a thread announcing how much better you are than other people...work on it.

Use your "No excuses" line on yourself. Fix whatever it is that makes you feel so low that you have to start threads putting other people down.

Fix that.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How's the weather up there?
  • Kalikel
    Options

It wasnt ment to be "nice" or helpful, hence the capitolized "RANT" title
    We all get that.

The question is why. What is wrong with you? Why do you feel so inadequate that you have to start threads showing off how much better you are?

What is wrong with you that makes you do that?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    No one has to go it alone. Read the groups and (just as with the advice in this thread) take what you need & leave the rest.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Either that or you'll consume your limited supplies of bio-available iodine and go into myxedema coma.

MY advice if you have or suspect you have a thyroid disorder is *get treated*. TREATED thyroid disorders have no effect on lifespan. UNTREATED THYROID DISORDERS CAN KILL YOU.

I have "subclinical hypothyroidism", which means only my TSH is out of spec.

I had a family practice doc tell me I was "just telling me symptoms trying to get thyroxine because you want to lose weight", despite having muscle cramps, losing my coarse hair, losing the outer half of my eyebrows, having heavy and thick looking skin, lack of energy, "brain fog", and a resting heart rate of 50. How the hell am I supposed to "fake" a resting heart rate of 50? My TSH and T4 were within her (outdated) guidelines--and she was ignoring the last line of the list which was "unless the patient is symptomatic". The <insert profanity here> HID my bad TSH number from me for 2 years--I only learned of it when she slipped and revealed it while going over my (rising but marginally in-spec) cholesterol numbers. (rising cholesterol is *also* a symptom of hypothyroidism)

I switched to a new doc and got diagnosis and treatment on my first visit.

Now my numbers are in spec--including my cholesterol & triglycerides going back to the bottom of the normal range, as they had been before I developed thyroid problems. My resting heart rate remains low at around 62, suggesting that I may be mildly hypothyroid despite normal numbers--but now I can function after effectively losing several years of my life to feeling every day the way most people might feel the day after they fell off a roof or something.

Thyroid hormone is the *only* way for your body to transport iodine to your cells. Without it, no matter how much iodine is in your diet, your cells are starved for it--malnourished. I suspect this may be why hypothyroid people feel hungry--since cells are starving for iodine, they probably signal the body to eat more iodine, which under ordinary conditions would mean eat more stuff preferably containing iodine. But no matter how much you eat, without thyroid hormone that iodine can never get to the cells, so they remain hungry and calling for you to eat more.

Iodine is also essential to actin and myosin in muscles being able to un-clasp so that your muscles can relax and lengthen again after contracting to do work. It's easy to imagine how this could lead to muscle aches--but also illustrates how heavy exercise with untreated hypothyroidism could drive a person to a medical crisis if they depleted all their muscles' limited local supply of iodine.

Your irritation with people using thyroid disorders as an explanation of their weight gain or weight-loss difficulty reveals you really don't understand thyroid disorders. Your own personal experience doesn't necessarily reflect the situation of everyone with a similar condition.

In my opinion it is mean of you to fault others as having a character flaw/lack of willpower because their disease affects them more seriously than your disease affected you. There is no reason to make people who feel bad and demotivated feel even worse and more demotivated.

Thyroid disorders are medically treatable and not a character flaw. Meanness, on the other hand...a little introspection might be of use to you.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    you rant, and others "blame"...this is what a forum is for, right? When people are frustrated they just need find an outlet...

I will skip the posts I don't like to read...and reply to those where I might have a thing or 2 to contribute...

Hoestly, I find this kind of "fitness/weight loss" forums sometimes full of "angry messages"...maybe eating more food might help?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    saying this
    We all get that.

and then this
    The question is why. What is wrong with you? Why do you feel so inadequate that you have to start threads showing off how much better you are?

What is wrong with you that makes you do that?
    in the same post makes absolutely zero sense