Thyroid RANT

Options
1235»

Replies

• chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good for you for losing the weight with the thyroid. I read the whole thread and some members asked what helped you lose. I am also interested to know how you managed the condition with diet and exercise. I gained a few pounds after getting diagnosed and I have been making them go the heck away slowly but surely.

With the Drs I had I had to be my own patient advocate. They didn't know what was wrong with me for about a year, said I was allergic to wheat without running any tests, when I changed MDs, I wasn't allergic to anything with that one who had run tests.
    I had to argue that it would be beneficial to see a nutritionist as I was losing a considerable amount of hair. At that point before I saw that doctor I was falling asleep on they way to and from work, while I was there, and drinking more coffee than anyone should consume, and eating very little calories 1000/day to try to desperately maintain my weight.

The nutritionist helped me alot, they got me to purchase a food scale so I would have accurate calorie counts, when I started feeling better I got a fitbit to help me get a more accurate tdee, along with a heart rate monitor that further educated me that cardio machines at the gym are very generous, and that my heart rate seems slower than others.

I figured this out with my doctor: getting 1-2 pounds a week to go away when your thyroid hormones are in check with a 500-1000 deficit per day is very doable. But it has to be your actual real deficit, until the hormones were right and I was trying to lose I was losing only a half of a pound a week. My Dr explained to me that until the hormones are right you simply aren't burning that much. So until the hormones were close to normal I just watched my calories like a hawk and tried to exercise when I wasn't sleeping.

Until those hormones are right, or at least with me, it was very very difficult because I felt sick all the time, and I'm sure other folks have had that feeling too. If you get in with a good physician in the beginning you are very fortunate but try not to be too harsh on others who have not had that. The people posting are probably looking for constructive advice from others who have had the same issue.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you really have thyroid disease, there is no "cure". There is temporary thyroiditis some people get (which ironically, can be brought on by too much exercise), but that is not thyroid disease, that is a TEMPORARY inflammatory condition. Anybody who thinks they "cured" their temporary thyroiditis is just ignorant and does not understand the difference between the temporary condition and the real (and life long) disease.

Also, if you have Hashimoto's (I do) it is like a roller coaster, you have your up and down times for years and years, your hyper and your hypo periods and in-between, until finally, after many years you become permanently hypo. Therefore, if you have this condition, you may think you "cured' yourself, but you may also be in for a rude awakening in years to come. Therefore, you should get an antibody test (can prove or disprove Hashi's) and if you have it, there is a school of thought that very low dose thyroid hormone can keep it from progressing as quickly.

If you REALLY have thyroid disease, you have to find a Doctor who will work with you to find what medications and combinations of medications work best for you, it is not one size fits all.

If you are not medicated properly, all I can tell you is me and many hypothyroid people I know (half the women on the maternal side of my family have Hashi's) you can have a bizarre reaction to exercise, like it totally wipes you out, way out of the bounds of how somebody should feel in relation to the particular exercise. If that is happening to you, you are not on the right meds, find a better Doctor, and I wish you luck because I know good Doctors are not always easy to find. Don't let anybody discourage you, and certainly don't listen to judgmental people, just keep looking for the help you need until you find it.

This is some really helpful advice. Thank you.

My partner has hashimoto's. We are both making lifestyle changes to lose weight. The pounds are melting off of me while hers moves at a snail's pace. Exercise zaps her energy some days, others it's a boost. It's a total roller coaster and so very frustrating. After reading this, I feel better knowing that if she keeps at it and continues to work with her doctor she will be able to reach her goals.

Someone much earlier in the thread also posted links to the Thyroid groups on the forums. Also helpful. Many thanks to those of you who were kind enough to share your experiences and advice.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Good for you for losing the weight with the thyroid. I read the whole thread and some members asked what helped you lose. I am also interested to know how you managed the condition with diet and exercise. I gained a few pounds after getting diagnosed and I have been making them go the heck away slowly but surely.

With the Drs I had I had to be my own patient advocate. They didn't know what was wrong with me for about a year, said I was allergic to wheat without running any tests, when I changed MDs, I wasn't allergic to anything with that one who had run tests.
    I had to argue that it would be beneficial to see a nutritionist as I was losing a considerable amount of hair. At that point before I saw that doctor I was falling asleep on they way to and from work, while I was there, and drinking more coffee than anyone should consume, and eating very little calories 1000/day to try to desperately maintain my weight.

The nutritionist helped me alot, they got me to purchase a food scale so I would have accurate calorie counts, when I started feeling better I got a fitbit to help me get a more accurate tdee, along with a heart rate monitor that further educated me that cardio machines at the gym are very generous, and that my heart rate seems slower than others.

I figured this out with my doctor: getting 1-2 pounds a week to go away when your thyroid hormones are in check with a 500-1000 deficit per day is very doable. But it has to be your actual real deficit, until the hormones were right and I was trying to lose I was losing only a half of a pound a week. My Dr explained to me that until the hormones are right you simply aren't burning that much. So until the hormones were close to normal I just watched my calories like a hawk and tried to exercise when I wasn't sleeping.

Until those hormones are right, or at least with me, it was very very difficult because I felt sick all the time, and I'm sure other folks have had that feeling too. If you get in with a good physician in the beginning you are very fortunate but try not to be too harsh on others who have not had that. The people posting are probably looking for constructive advice from others who have had the same issue.
    I fell asleep in the car once. Scariest thing ever! Those little rumbly, noisy things by the yellow line that they have to let people know they crossed the line? Thank God for them! That's what woke me up. I didn't wear a seatbelt then and if I hadn't woken up...best not to think about it. :)

Waking up behind the wheel is very scary.

People don't really understand what "fatigue" means when it's serious.

They don't understand a lot of things.

They really think that nobody has a real problem and is just using it as an excuse.

Decades! I went decades watching people not believe it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Someone much earlier in the thread also posted links to the Thyroid groups on the forums. Also helpful. Many thanks to those of you who were kind enough to share your experiences and advice.
    MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers

And the Sexypants post should be required reading for every MFPer: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am really tired of the endless "hypothyroid" posts. "I cant lose weight because of my hypothyroid...."

Geuss what, YOU CAN! I did and SO CAN YOU

Does it make you feel tired, more hungry and lethargic when you thyroid is off? YES IT DOES

Having a hypothyroid is not a free pass into laziville, it just means you have to dig deep and WORK HARDER than other people, it does not make your fitness goals IMPOSSIBLE

SO STOP BLAMING YOUR THYROID!

-End Rant-

Thank you for this post. They just seem to be endless

As someone without a thyroid, it is hard, it can be done, even if it is a lot slower than "normal" people. It just take discipline, exercise and time. We just need to stay focus and think long term.

Diet is very extremely important - cut out the junk, white flour/rice etc, sodas, sodium, soy, sugar. Eat as clean as your budget allows, this will go a long way in helping to reduce some of the symptoms.

Lately I have reduced my carbs to 150 - 175 grams per day, (some days I consume less, but no more than 175). I find that I am not as bloated and feel a lot better. I eat three meals per day, with most of the carbs eaten at breakfast, then lunch and at dinner very few carbs eaten.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post, OP! I ended up with hypothyroid due to genetics, and wasn't medicating it very well. So, when I decided enough was enough, I knew that was the first place to start!

MFP and counting calories actually helped me find the correct dosage. I had a large bump in medication that put me into the hyper category so it got lowered. Suddenly, I couldn't lose anything. It was really frustrating, but since I could see that what I was doing should be working, I talked to my doctor, have the right dose, and everything is awesome!

To the people who want to bash on the OP because she doesn't want to listen to everyone wallowing in self pity when it really, really isn't needed: Sounds like a personal problem.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I know when I was diagnosed (Hashimoto's) and went to my very next session with my trainer and told him the news, he asked me: "so, what are you going to do now?" and I responded: "I'm going to have to work twice as hard and it's likely to take me twice as long to lose the weight, but it's not going to stop me." He nodded and said: "let's go." and then kicked my *kitten*.

It's taken me two years to lose just over 90 pounds. In that time, I was diagnosed with the thyroid, plus PCOS, plus I tore most of the ligaments in my ankle that took about nine months to heal.

It's slow, it's grueling, and at times, unbelievably depressing to struggle with each pound. BUT, it can be done. Having said that, I do have compassion for those who are so overwhelmed with their diagnosis and think it's impossible. You are going to have to dig deep and find that inner beast mode.

^^ this
    ----
    I also know that I can't speak for everyone with thyroid issues. My experience is mine, that's it. Individual results may vary.

OP< your post was arrogant. Just because you have the disease doesn't mean that you should assume that another sufferer's experience is just like your own.

Oversimplified OP is oversimplified.

ETA: my sister also has hashi. Her experience has been very different from mine. It's like a freaking moving target with her. She's hyper, then hypo, oh look, she's hyper again. It's been horrid for her. Her weight goes up and down. Her moods go up and down. It's insane.

Mine is consistently hypo, which is easier to medicate for, but the levels can fluctuate and it's tough to know whether a stall is because of behavior (even though you KNOW you are doing it right, you still second guess yourself), or your burn levels are set too high, or insertwhatevervariablehere____________ Yes, I've been able to make progress, grabbing onto those times where things work as they should. But you just have to look at someone like my sister to know that my experience is not like everybody else with thyroid issues, ever.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I know when I was diagnosed (Hashimoto's) and went to my very next session with my trainer and told him the news, he asked me: "so, what are you going to do now?" and I responded: "I'm going to have to work twice as hard and it's likely to take me twice as long to lose the weight, but it's not going to stop me." He nodded and said: "let's go." and then kicked my *kitten*.

It's taken me two years to lose just over 90 pounds. In that time, I was diagnosed with the thyroid, plus PCOS, plus I tore most of the ligaments in my ankle that took about nine months to heal.

It's slow, it's grueling, and at times, unbelievably depressing to struggle with each pound. BUT, it can be done. Having said that, I do have compassion for those who are so overwhelmed with their diagnosis and think it's impossible. You are going to have to dig deep and find that inner beast mode.

^^ this
    ----
    I also know that I can't speak for everyone with thyroid issues. My experience is mine, that's it. Individual results may vary.

OP< your post was arrogant. Just because you have the disease doesn't mean that you should assume that another sufferer's experience is just like your own.

Oversimplified OP is oversimplified.

ETA: my sister also has hashi. Her experience has been very different from mine. It's like a freaking moving target with her. She's hyper, then hypo, oh look, she's hyper again. It's been horrid for her. Her weight goes up and down. Her moods go up and down. It's insane.

Mine is consistently hypo, which is easier to medicate for, but the levels can fluctuate and it's tough to know whether a stall is because of behavior (even though you KNOW you are doing it right, you still second guess yourself), or your burn levels are set too high, or insertwhatevervariablehere____________ Yes, I've been able to make progress, grabbing onto those times where things work as they should. But you just have to look at someone like my sister to know that my experience is not like everybody else with thyroid issues, ever.
    This.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post, OP! I ended up with hypothyroid due to genetics, and wasn't medicating it very well. So, when I decided enough was enough, I knew that was the first place to start!

MFP and counting calories actually helped me find the correct dosage. I had a large bump in medication that put me into the hyper category so it got lowered. Suddenly, I couldn't lose anything. It was really frustrating, but since I could see that what I was doing should be working, I talked to my doctor, have the right dose, and everything is awesome!

To the people who want to bash on the OP because she doesn't want to listen to everyone wallowing in self pity when it really, really isn't needed: Sounds like a personal problem.
    Oh, goodie. Another person who had it easy has joined in to whine about how hard it is for her to read about people who had it harder.

Do go on. Tell us more about how rough it is for you to read about.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sure, I can lose weight if I net less than 1000 calories a day even though my levels are normal. I lost the first 30 lbs this way. When my hair started falling out even worse I knew I couldn't continue to do that. For the past several months, I have tried everything from eating more to eating more/exercising more to eating little/exercising more. At 1200 calories net I maintain. At 1500 calories net, I gained a pound per week. My doctor sucks and ignores me. I've lost half of my hair since Christmas and I'm still at the same weight. I'm sure as hell not lazy, but I am exhausted.

Do I whine and complain sometimes? Sure I do, because it's pretty darn miserable to live this way. If I want to complain on here, that's my American made right, too. Nobody makes you read those posts. That's the point of using a subject line. Maybe since you choose to read them, instead of ranting, you could direct your energy to helping people in this situation since you've been so successful. What kind of exercise plan did you employ? Exactly, not just the vague "lift weights". Meal plans or ideas? What did you eat? What were your go-to meals? I know I get tired of the fight, tired of eating nothing while my family eats hamburgers, baked beans, banana pudding, and about a dozen other things while I have grilled chicken and salad. Good but still not a juicy burger! Did I have some cookies and watergate salad? Sure, they fit into my allowance, but that didn't stop me from wanting everything on the table and yeah, I'm a little bitter over the lack of a burger on 4th of July and want to whine about it. LOL

Anyhoo, whether someone is starting this fight or having a down day, we could all use tips, advice, ideas to stay on track with meals or motivation to put in some extra time exercising (which I do 6 days a week, 4 kettlebell/short cardio, 2 long cardio). No, it's not your job to help anyone, but why not turn those negative feelings into a positive?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that the people with thyroid issues are actually having their own little rant when they say they can't lose weight because of their thyroid issues??? Then when their rant is over, they pick themselves up and just get on with it.

Perhaps they are venting their own frustrations, disappointments - they are not likely to asking for sympathy or pity... some compassion maybe.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    OP, I have the opposite problem--hyperthyroid. I was so worried about gaining weight when put on medication but with counting calories and exercising I have it under control. You're right, it can be done. But first people need to get their thyroid under control and THEN they can work on their weight.

I thought hyperthyroid makes some lose weight quickly although they constantly feel hungry?

Not always (/wave). I could still out-eat my metabolism when I my thyroid went hyper during and right after my last pregnancy.

Yup. Me too. And I was so afraid when I was put on medication that I would start gaining weight. I was already overweight and I didn't want it to get worse. It hasn't. I've been able to maintain since being put back on medication. I haven't lost much, but then I'm not hard core into losing right now either.
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you, as a hypothyroid sufferer I get real testy when told someone cant lose weight because of their thyroid, yeah gimme another excuse please............

My hair sucks, I am tired, lethargic, blah blah

when my hair gets dry and my skin gets dry and it is tough to get out of bed that means thyroid check time..... Dr just recently upped my meds after 2 years as thyroid levels had increased again

but it is never an excuse to say something CANT be done, IN FACT when I was in my 20's and early 30s I was able to go medication free for years simply by maintaining a healthy weight, diet, and excersize.

That only lasts so long though as I got older I had to control it through meds, but just proves that it can be done f you want it.

It depends, everyone's thyroid condition is different. I have thyroid issues. I had Hyperthyroidism issues that were so severe that I had to go through two radioactive iodine treatments because medication wasn't enough. Before I had treatments, literally almost all of my hair fell out and my neck was swollen. I was always overeating but I never gained significant amounts of weight. When I finally started to get my thyroid under control I gained 50lbs because I went from extreme hyperthyroidism to hypothyroidism. So far I have lost 20 pounds of the 50 that I have gained. I am not using it as an excuse, but thyroid issues do make losing weight harder and thyroid issues causes anxiety/depression which makes it hard to find motivation.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that the people with thyroid issues are actually having their own little rant when they say they can't lose weight because of their thyroid issues??? Then when their rant is over, they pick themselves up and just get on with it.

Perhaps they are venting their own frustrations, disappointments - they are not likely to asking for sympathy or pity... some compassion maybe.

This is what I have been thinking, too...but of course there are always people who are truly looking for excuse...

I have learned not to interprete the tone of written message/emails but its hard to get it right, but i do find pattern in certain posters messages...maybe it does say something about their true personality in real life...:)